View Full Version : Duran beating Leonard

GrandpaBernard
04-06-2011, 01:34 AM
Were AMERICANS celebrating and happy when this happened, or were they said because their fellow American lost?

I wasn't around back then.

BigStereotype
04-06-2011, 01:53 AM
Were Americans happy that the Giants won the World Series last year? I wasn't around, either, but it's hard to lump 300 million people in together and say that they all felt the same about anything.

GrandpaBernard
04-06-2011, 01:57 AM
Were Americans happy that the Giants won the World Series last year? I wasn't around, either, but it's hard to lump 300 million people in together and say that they all felt the same about anything.In general. I can't imagine Mexicans celebrating when Julio Chavez was clowned on by Pernell.

BigStereotype
04-06-2011, 02:15 AM
In general. I can't imagine Mexicans celebrating when Julio Chavez was clowned on by Pernell.

Fair point, but Mexicans have a much more unified cultural identity than Americans. At least that's how I see it. A Mexican boxing fan who doesn't worship the ground Julio Cesar Chavez walks on is pretty uncommon. The same can't be said for really any fighter (or thing) in America.

Ziggy Stardust
04-06-2011, 02:46 AM
Were AMERICANS celebrating and happy when this happened, or were they said because their fellow American lost?

I wasn't around back then.

A lot of American fight fans cheered. The whole "Golden Boy" image Leonard had rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and they were happy to see him taken down a peg.

Poet

TBear
04-06-2011, 07:00 AM
I was indifferent because I was a fan of both fighters. I was a bit suprised however.

Pastrano
04-06-2011, 07:19 AM
The sportswriters hugged Leonard to no end. I can imagine people getting turned off by that. They turned that premature-stoppage victory over Kalule into a onesided annihilation almost! As if SRR himself had returned. While it was a close fight in reality and Kalule had gained the upper hand in the previous two rounds.

I respect SRL as a boxer and like him as a person, but the guy got too many ko wins on his record. Some of them were bs stoppages, like against Benitez, Kalule and perhaps even Hearns.

Scott9945
04-06-2011, 12:23 PM
A lot of American fight fans cheered. The whole "Golden Boy" image Leonard had rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and they were happy to see him taken down a peg.

Poet

That was how I felt. And I guess betting on Duran helped too.