View Full Version : how do you get over your fear of fighting in front of crowds

DJ QUIK JR.
04-05-2011, 05:48 AM
my first fight is coming up soon and i was wondering what can i do to kill my problem with fighting in front of crowds

1 HitterQuitter
04-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Realize that it doesn't matter what they think since your the one actually doing it and not them. I never really had a fear of being in front of the crowd while boxing my fear was the guy trying to knock my head off. After you start fighting you will forget the crowds even there

Yuricane
04-05-2011, 11:16 AM
show them ur ****?

MePunchHard
04-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Once you get in the ring you won't even notice them.

Uturn
04-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Mike Tyson was always very nervous before a fight. He said, once he actually stepped foot in a ring - he would forget about his surroundings. It's just you and your opponent in the ring, remember that bro.

Nate S.
04-05-2011, 06:27 PM
I know how ya feel man, I am going to have my first fight in a couple months and the events they have at my gym usually have like 200 people which is tough for me because I'm not great at public speaking or being in front of a huge crowd.

One more round
04-05-2011, 06:34 PM
The best way is just to get in there and do it. When doing something risky or something that makes you nervous, don't think too much about it, just put your foot down and get in there.

Bushbaby
04-05-2011, 08:52 PM
The scariest part of fighting is the crowd.The minute u feel the sting of a punch,ur in the comfort zone.Get past the crowd & there's nothing to stop ya.

killsomething
04-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Enjoy the crowd. Show em what's up.

TouchyAndalou
04-07-2011, 07:16 PM
You have to pretend that you're not nervous. The best way to do this is to design an elaborate ring entrance, something similiar to what you'd expect from Prince Naseem. It doesn't matter if it's just a small crowd of ten people, you should still have music playing and dance your way to the ring. Or buy a large carpet, drape it over a flat square of wood and have four friends carry you to the ring on it, so it looks like you're riding a magic carpet.

shyboirank#1
04-07-2011, 09:11 PM
you wont even notice them once you are getting your butt kicked

Scipio
04-12-2011, 02:58 AM
That used to be a problem when i started. You will have a fight or two then it becomes apart of your experience. Its normal to feel the heat walking to the ring but once you're in the ring, all the training and experience kicks in.

jtiger777
04-12-2011, 11:53 AM
U wont get over that until ur 15th fight... But go to the hood and call tyrone a *****... A crowd will come out talkin ***** and go from there!

F l i c k e r
04-12-2011, 12:47 PM
lol, alot of weird answers. Alot that don't seem realistic.

Anyways, after the first contact. In every sport I have done, I always get a little anxious. Then after first contact, everything settles down and the crowd doesn't even matter anymore.

Now that doesn't mean let them punch you in the face. I am saying, a little shoulder bump, a push inside, a blocked punch. Something. After that contact it all goes away.

Bullrush
04-12-2011, 04:03 PM
trust me you will forget all about the crowd once youre in the ring so dont worry about it

BBFM
04-13-2011, 05:57 AM
Focus on your opponent and be confident.

squealpiggy
04-18-2011, 12:07 AM
I always found the crowd vanished when I got in the ring. Apart from that one mouthy cunt who is your opponent's friend who you just want to make shut up by beating his friend up.

One more round
04-18-2011, 01:09 AM
Push out every negative or doubtful thought from your mind, and say to yourself "lets ****ing do this"

Remember a fight is what you train for, full stop. This is the opportunity to test yourself.

cotto#1p4p
04-18-2011, 04:15 AM
Just had my first amateur fight a few weeks ago and like many have said when you're in there exchanging punches you'll forget about the crowd since you're so focused on your opponent. Obviously you'll hear their roar and screams ocassionally when a good punch is landed but you should bearly noticed them.

chiguy91
04-18-2011, 04:21 AM
man, this is exactly what i was wondering. im really interested in becoming an amateur boxer, but everytime i think about it, i wonder how will i do in front the crowd. im not too fond of being in front of crowds, and plus the nerves leading up to the fight can get me as well....thanks for making this thread man, lots of good and interesting answers. i can't wait for the summer to see if i can do this.
hopefully the advice some have said about the first contact makes you less worried works, i would assume so. once you feel or land something, you should get in the zone if you're already not from the beginning....good luck man!

Lovely
04-18-2011, 04:22 AM
listen to your corner if you can pick out what they're saying. act as soon as they tell you something. just breathe, relax and box. when youre walking up to the ring you should be gettin ready for business. the crowd isnt part of the business youre doing, they just happen to be there... so relax and do your job.

Uturn
04-18-2011, 08:02 AM
A bit off topic. But does your family and friends go to watch you guys? Or do you just go with your boxing club? just curious...

digit
04-18-2011, 08:43 AM
I havent fought in front of a crowd (havent fought in a ring before!!). But played an exhibition soccer match in front of upto 5k people. I was so nervous, but once the game kicked off everything was forgotton and it was like playing on any other peice of grass. I'm guessing it would similar for someone boxing??

Fortunatley, my trainer tends to make me do one on one pad work in the centre fo the gym while about twenty people or so stand around waiting for the next class to start........... hopefully that helps me get used to people watching!

Darcyforsythe
04-18-2011, 08:47 AM
when you throw your first punch, at least for me nothing else mattered

Rockin'
04-18-2011, 08:59 AM
listen to your corner if you can pick out what they're saying. act as soon as they tell you something..

Actually, it is better to do the opposite. If you can hear your corner than so could your opponent. If my corner yells left hook, I would immediately feint the hook and drop in a right. If you don't react instantly then just remember to look for a left hook as you walk the ring. I hate when my corner would constantly be yelling. The say what they want you to do so many times that I'm certain that my opponent has heard aswell and has already plotted against me......................Rockin':boxing:

Rockin'
04-18-2011, 09:35 AM
And as for your fear of crowds.... Once you get hit in the nose you will have split seconds of visions and memories of what is happening. Just know that during these times is when a fighter is born, you must throw back.................Rockin':boxing:

DJ QUIK JR.
04-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Actually, it is better to do the opposite. If you can hear your corner than so could your opponent. If my corner yells left hook, I would immediately feint the hook and drop in a right. If you don't react instantly then just remember to look for a left hook as you walk the ring. I hate when my corner would constantly be yelling. The say what they want you to do so many times that I'm certain that my opponent has heard aswell and has already plotted against me......................Rockin':boxing:

i agree with this

Aperion
04-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Alright, my two bits:

Take my advice with a grain of salt if you want - I've never fought in front of a crowd, I come to this forum to get training advice not really give it. But, I've performed in front of many people many times (I'm a musician). Anyway, basically its learning how to perform in front of people. Its something you learn, another skill on top of all the others you're trying to get together.

Any type of anxiety like this goes away with experience, so after awhile, this goes away. You just need to perform in front of people a lot, and you cannot let the gaze of others effect your performance, you cannot let it influence what you want to do. You cannot think "Oh...they're watching me, they'll like when I do this" That will throw your concentration, even just a tiny bit is enough to mess you up. The people watching you have to not factor in to what you are trying to get your body to do, even the slightest thought about that hot chick in the front row will take your mind away enough where you'll mess up. You must have confidence in your preparation and skills, that is where it all comes from - you're the one doin the work, not anyone watching you.

Lovely
04-19-2011, 08:13 PM

meh. the guys i fight arent pros. this works for me, maybe it doesnt for others. i usually ignore what i hear until i sit down between rounds and hear what they're saying. or "look for the uppercut", throw it, surprise it lands etc... just my 2 cents. i know youve been around rockin', i respect your opinion and agree with your stance on the topic from the position where you see it.

CymruAmByth
04-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Just do it. I know it's not what you want to hear but it's fact. The only way, ONLY way to overcome a fear is to do the thing your affraid of and keep doing it.