View Full Version : The most athletically impressive thing a boxer can do.

SCtrojansbaby
04-04-2011, 02:29 AM
In my opinion its when you can make guys miss/counter while on the ropes or in the corner. Muhammad Ali, Roberto Duran, Roy Jones, Pernell Whitaker and James Toney all loved to do this and IMO it shows that they aren't just great boxers but they probable could have been great in most other sport as well.

Steak
04-04-2011, 02:47 AM
I dont think you necessarily have to be athletic to pull that off. Nicolino Locche used to do it all the time, and the guy wasnt exactly a physical beast in any way. Same with Benitez, who rarely trained. Countering off the ropes can be done with pure skill.

I think handspeed more often than not points to a very naturally athletic person.

SCtrojansbaby
04-04-2011, 03:26 AM
I dont think you necessarily have to be athletic to pull that off. Nicolino Locche used to do it all the time, and the guy wasnt exactly a physical beast in any way. Same with Benitez, who rarely trained. Countering off the ropes can be done with pure skill.

I think handspeed more often than not points to a very naturally athletic person.

Reflexes Flexibility and Balance are the core attributes of athleticism if you have those physical gifts there isn't much you can't do. Benitez is one of the best examples i think he could of played any sport.

Steak
04-04-2011, 04:16 AM
Reflexes Flexibility and Balance are the core attributes of athleticism if you have those physical gifts there isn't much you can't do. Benitez is one of the best examples i think he could of played any sport.I disagree, Locche and Benitez had quickness of mind more so than quickness of body. They understood boxing and could predict the opponents actions almost before they happened. Thats more skill to me, not physical gifts.

Speed and agility in general are better indicators of a physically gifted individual.

New England
04-04-2011, 09:23 AM
In my opinion its when you can make guys miss/counter while on the ropes or in the corner. Muhammad Ali, Roberto Duran, Roy Jones, Pernell Whitaker and James Toney all loved to do this and IMO it shows that they aren't just great boxers but they probable could have been great in most other sport as well.

If you can do it for 12 rounds against a top tier opponent while landing the cleaner and more effective punches then it's up there.

personally i think a true boxer / puncher puts on the most athletic display in the sport.

he's moving more. his body is working more in the traditional athletic sense

fighting off of the ropes and in the pocket and inside is largely mental
and skillbased

GrandpaBernard
04-04-2011, 09:41 AM
First thing I think of whenever someone mentions athleticism is lighting fast reflexes.

Think about the guys who are considered athletic and they often had quick reflexes. Ali has the best reflexes ever for a heavy. Roy Jones had the best reflexes in general. Floyd Jr has great reflexes too. Zab Judah was a reflex monster.

2Fast
04-04-2011, 09:55 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H8_kPRkf5eY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GrandpaBernard
04-04-2011, 12:08 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H8_kPRkf5eY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What's amazing is how he has the awareness to make them miss after they try to counter his pullcounter. It's like he has an ability to see everything in slow motion.

-KPB-
04-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Nah, the ability to block punches with your face is much more impressive athletically.....

Marchegiano
04-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Marciano-Walcott one

TheHolyCross
04-04-2011, 08:02 PM
quick, powerful 5+ punch combo, with whole body behind every punch

cja07007
04-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Id have to say doing some amazing combinations like three hook in a row off a counter.

RINGG
04-05-2011, 04:04 AM
Not what the TS is probably looking for, but I was always amazed at the fighters that did a back flip after winning a hard fought 10 or 12 rounder.

SCtrojansbaby
04-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Not what the TS is probably looking for, but I was always amazed at the fighters that did a back flip after winning a hard fought 10 or 12 rounder.

LOL I do find that to be amazing.

Golden
04-05-2011, 01:26 PM

Beast....:boxing:

goblin213
04-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Roy Jones' lead left hook

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/isD9TFEGThc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vsec
04-05-2011, 02:31 PM
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3943/1272225291665.gif

not to mention the most stylistic thing you can do

project xxx1
04-05-2011, 02:38 PM
they can fight for 12 rounds,thats so hard to do,if youve ever been in the ring then you know what im talking about

12-15 rounds of 1-1 boxing = amazing

Miburo
04-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Probably Locche dodging something like eight consecutive rapid fire jabs from Cervantes at point blank range with nothing but head twitches. His reflexes were so good the punches would literally graze him as they missed by the barest fraction.

If we expand the definition though then it's Monzon smoking something like 80 cigs a day and half-assing roadwork and sparring while having some of the best stamina of all time.

Marchegiano
04-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Andy Bowen - Jack Burke 110 rounds