View Full Version : Biggest quits in boxing history...

$BloodyNate$
04-02-2011, 05:40 AM
I have Cotto-Mayorga on showtime ondemand right now and just saw the quit again. And there has been no x-rays or nothing to prove that broken hand from what I've heard so far. Which brings me to my question.

What are some of the biggest quits in boxing without there being a knockdown right before it?

BattlingNelson
04-02-2011, 06:30 AM
Biggest quit has to be Duran's famous 'no mas' against Leonard.

The Surgeon
04-02-2011, 07:34 AM

Agreed, thats the Daddy.

Victor Ortiz was Knocked down vs Maidana but his quit was still pretty shameful

And of course there is quiting without quiting like fighters lying they cant see with a lil cut and so on

A lot of Cotto's earlier fights ended with the poor guy in the other corner just saying **** this and quiting after taking a tanking

The_Demon
04-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Duran/Leonard has too be the biggest as mentioned

The way Ortiz quit against Maidana and the fact that he just admitted he quit afterwards was pretty shocking

Im sure Cotto fans were pretty shocked when their boy got on his nees for margarito too

IronDanHamza
04-02-2011, 08:01 AM
As expected Leonard-Duran has been mentioned. But yeah, that's the most unbelivable 'No mas' ever probably.

Liston quitting on his stool in Liston-Ali 1 was pretty huge too.

Barn
04-02-2011, 08:08 AM
I've heard people say his corner stopped it as well as accounts of him quitting, unsure.

Alexander vs Bradley of more recent times.

The Surgeon
04-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Duran/Leonard has too be the biggest as mentioned

The way Ortiz quit against Maidana and the fact that he just admitted he quit afterwards was pretty shocking

Im sure Cotto fans were pretty shocked when their boy got on his nees for margarito too

Cotto didnt quit his body did, he took a helluva lot of punishment and u could feel his last burst of punches was him completely emptying the tank. He did his fans proud. Where as Ortiz for example appeared still in the fight and had energy in him left.

Tszyu not coming out for the last against Hatton was surprising

The Surgeon
04-02-2011, 08:11 AM
As expected Leonard-Duran has been mentioned. But yeah, that's the most unbelivable 'No mas' ever probably.

Liston quitting on his stool in Liston-Ali 1 was pretty huge too.

Does anone believe Sonny was lit in his withdrawl or was it a case of he knew he was in with a better man and couldnt win?

MARKBNLV
04-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Oliver Mccall crying in his corner comes to mind.

The_Demon
04-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Cotto didnt quit his body did, he took a helluva lot of punishment and u could feel his last burst of punches was him completely emptying the tank. He did his fans proud. Where as Ortiz for example appeared still in the fight and had energy in him left.

Tszyu not coming out for the last against Hatton was surprising

I was shocked too see Cotto take a knee too be honest,probably because i didnt expect Margarito too break him down like he did

Ortiz flat out quit and it was sad too see,and saying he doesnt want too get beaten up i was like wtf! your in the wrong sport then buddy

I think Tsyzu realized he wasnt going too get a decision that night,also realized he didnt have a sledgehammer in which too stop Hatton with and probably decided his old body had had enough punishment for one night,i was slightly surprised too though as it was only one round,but 3 minutes can be a long time in a boxing ring when things arent going your way

Emon723
04-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Agree, Oliver McCall stop fighting and crying was disgusting.

2Fast
04-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Vitali quitting to the much smaller Chris Byrd with only 1 round to go comes to my mind.

NChristo
04-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Not the biggest but Andrew Lewis vs Dalton, Lewis ahead on all cards quit because he had to take a ****.

The_Demon
04-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Not the biggest but Andrew Lewis vs Dalton, Lewis ahead on all cards quit because he had to take a ****.

Gives a new meaning too the phrase 'when you've got too go too you've got too go'

Joeyzagz
04-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Quitali is the obvious answer but his little bro shouldnt be overshadowed.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/5773/purrity.gif

MARKBNLV
04-02-2011, 02:54 PM
I have Cotto-Mayorga on showtime ondemand right now and just saw the quit again. And there has been no x-rays or nothing to prove that broken hand from what I've heard so far. Which brings me to my question.

What are some of the biggest quits in boxing without there being a knockdown right before it?

Mayorga should be investigated for that bullsht.

joseph5620
04-02-2011, 03:28 PM

Julio Cesar Chavez quit in fight 2 with Frankie Randall and also in his rematch with Oscar Delahoya.

Ziggy Stardust
04-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Fraud Gayweather quit boxing rather than face an opponent with a pulse :boxing:

Poet

IronDanHamza
04-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Roger Mayweather in Mayweather-Chavez 2.

Viscious body attack.

CarlosG815
04-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Oscar quitting vs Pacquiao.

Tyson quit after taking a one sided hiding to Kevin McBride.

I wanna say that Arguello "quit" in his second fight vs Pryor. He just sat there and refused to get up because he was being totally outworked.

In an interview he said he was fine and coherent and while he was sitting there it seemed like an eternity for the ref to count to 10 and Arguello was saying to himself "Just hurry up and get to 10 already, I am done."

Would you guys consider that a quit?

IronDanHamza
04-02-2011, 04:18 PM

I wanna say that Arguello "quit" in his second fight vs Pryor. He just sat there and refused to get up because he was being totally outworked.

In an interview he said he was fine and coherent and while he was sitting there it seemed like an eternity for the ref to count to 10 and Arguello was saying to himself "Just hurry up and get to 10 already, I am done."

He did quit. He adknowledges he quit.

He was out of his depth in his 4th weight class Vs one of the best Jr Welterweights of all time. He adknowledged that too.

BigStereotype
04-02-2011, 04:37 PM

I saw an interview - before Chavez-Taylor? - where he said something like I realized he was the better fighter and accepted it.

F l i c k e r
04-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Leonard-Duran II. :pat: :nonono:

IronDanHamza
04-02-2011, 06:38 PM
I saw an interview - before Chavez-Taylor? - where he said something like I realized he was the better fighter and accepted it.

He said this in the post fight interview....

He pretty much says there and then that he quit.

The Surgeon
04-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Oliver Mccall crying in his corner comes to mind.

i give The Bull a pass. He shouldnt have even been in the ring, he needed to stay in rehab to be honest. Guy had a nervous breakdown IN THE RING. Lewis didnt make him quit imo, but his own demons.

New England
04-02-2011, 10:57 PM
I've heard people say his corner stopped it as well as accounts of him quitting, unsure.

Alexander vs Bradley of more recent times.

dude, it burned.

i'll add morales staying on the canvas against pacquiao
he was shot
but the dude's still a legend

BennyST
04-02-2011, 11:30 PM
I don't really think some of the ones mentioned are quitting as the word applies here. Duran quit against Leonard. Oscar quit the fight against Pac, but not as what is being implied here. He was beaten. As good as if he had been knocked out. To me, that is not quitting as what Duran did. That is just losing a fight and knowing it and not being able to win.

BennyST
04-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Same with Cotto I think. He was a beaten fighter. He didn't quit. He had been dropped, was getting beaten up and had nothing left to give and go on with. When a fighter has given it his all and has nothing left and no way to win, I don't see that as quitting. If he had done that in the fourth round when he probably realised he was in for a long night but still winning the rounds, then I could see it. However, he had tried everything he could and had lost.

That's what it comes down to. He had lost the fight already. Was he meant to stand back and get knocked down again, and again, and again until he got knocked out for the count? What exactly is the point when you've lost the fight and have nothing left with which to win? He had no power, no legs and was getting beaten up bad.

boxeDD
04-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Golota quitting against Tyson i think after 2 or 3 rounds.

BigStereotype
04-02-2011, 11:57 PM
He said this in the post fight interview....

He pretty much says there and then that he quit.

Never saw the postfight interview.

IronDanHamza
04-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Never saw the postfight interview.

Ahh, ok. Well he pretty much said he didn't want any more of Pryor at the point he took the count.

If you take Benny's definition, which I can see where he's coming from, Arguello didn't actually quit.

But what he did do was adknowledge he lost the fight and wasn't going to win the fight, thus took the 10 count when he could have got up if he wanted. But what would be the point? For Pryor to just pound his skull in? Because that's what would have happened. But Arguello could have got up, he just knew he wasn't going to win. Plus the first fight was much closer than this fight, in this fight he definitely wasn't going to win on the cards aswell.

Arguello just couldn't hurt him, he hit him with his hardest shots and he just could not hurt Pryor and that really effected him in the fight.

At 140, Arguello was out of his depth, atleast against an ATG Jr Welter in Pryor. And that's why he wept after the fight, because he wanted to be that guy who won 4 titles in 4 divisions but he just couldn't do it.

Ogecca MaMa
04-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Golota quitting against Tyson i think after 2 or 3 rounds.

same fight came to my mind. Golota almsot cried lol..big *****

BattlingNelson
04-03-2011, 05:55 AM
Same with Cotto I think. He was a beaten fighter. He didn't quit. He had been dropped, was getting beaten up and had nothing left to give and go on with. When a fighter has given it his all and has nothing left and no way to win, I don't see that as quitting. If he had done that in the fourth round when he probably realised he was in for a long night but still winning the rounds, then I could see it. However, he had tried everything he could and had lost.

That's what it comes down to. He had lost the fight already. Was he meant to stand back and get knocked down again, and again, and again until he got knocked out for the count? What exactly is the point when you've lost the fight and have nothing left with which to win? He had no power, no legs and was getting beaten up bad.
This is the truth. Cotto (and others) had nothing left and a loss was inevitable.

SBleeder
04-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Tyson biting Holyfield's ear twice was definitely quitting.

mrjoeblive
04-03-2011, 11:34 AM

have to agree with this one. i would like to see some to challenge this one

fitefanSHO
04-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Duran obviously.

Tyson quit against Holy in the rematch, he just did it his way.

Pessimistic
04-05-2011, 07:54 PM
That fraud Muhummad Ali quitting on his stool against Larry Holmes. He had ran his mouth as usual. Holmes just poured punches down his throat until he quit on his stool like the fraud Ali always was.

Pessimistic
04-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Pryor's trainer Carlos Panama gave him some dope in the waterbottle the round prior to that. His victory over Arguello is not valid it's tainted.

Scott9945
04-05-2011, 09:14 PM
That fraud Muhummad Ali quitting on his stool against Larry Holmes. He had ran his mouth as usual. Holmes just poured punches down his throat until he quit on his stool like the fraud Ali always was.

Dundee stopped that fight. Even fans who hated Ali wanted it stopped. It was a travesty, and if Ali ran his mouth it was just to sell tickets.

Ziggy Stardust
04-05-2011, 09:48 PM

Pryor's trainer Carlos Panama gave him some dope in the waterbottle the round prior to that. His victory over Arguello is not valid it's tainted.

Troll alert :killyou: