View Full Version : your opinion on hector comacho

boxingking500
03-31-2011, 10:50 PM
what are your opinions on this guy....

SCtrojansbaby
04-01-2011, 02:41 AM
Fastest hands of all time reguardless of weight and one of if not the best chin ever. Still amazes me that he became a world champion at 21 yet only got 3 fights against elite guys:
W JLR W Rosario L Chavez

Willy Wanker
04-01-2011, 02:46 AM
love the guy.

camacho was amazing at 130 and 135. great handspeed and always put on a good show. he was like hamed, but better skilled with less power.

but camacho wasn't anything special at 140 or higher.

Willy Wanker
04-01-2011, 02:48 AM
wasn't too crazy about him posing for playgirl though.

i would post the pics here, but this is the history section.

gotta preserve decency somewhere on this site.

SCtrojansbaby
04-01-2011, 02:51 AM
love the guy.

camacho was amazing at 130 and 135. great handspeed and always put on a good show. he was like hamed, but better skilled with less power.

but camacho wasn't anything special at 140 or higher.

That is a myth. Camacho wasn't anything special after he got beat down by Chavez. It's almost like his chin was too good had he gotten stopped in the 4th round like most guys would have I think he extends his prime another 4 years.

Willy Wanker
04-01-2011, 02:58 AM
That is a myth. Camacho wasn't anything special after he got beat down by Chavez. It's almost like his chin was too good had he gotten stopped in the 4th round like most guys would have I think he extends his prime another 4 years.

for sure, the chavez beatdown definitely ruined camacho.

but i'm sure the haugen fights also contributed to his decline.

Steak
04-01-2011, 03:45 AM
he was excellent at 130 and 135. Rosario changed his style a lot, although he was still fast as hell.

I find it pretty impressive that he still was able to go the distance with prime Trinidad and DLH past his prime and past his best weight.

TBear
04-01-2011, 04:53 AM
When Camacho was breezing through the junior lightweight division he was amazing. But as a lightweight champ the night life started catching up with him. Thats when he lost dedication and his momentum. Alot of people blamed the close bout with Rosario and his change in style after that but it probably had to do with the Miami and New York night clubs more than any opponent in the ring.

Ziggy Stardust
04-01-2011, 01:13 PM

He should have stuck to track and field instead of boxing as his talents were best suited to a sport where running actually has a place. The Village People are still calling him demanding their wardrobe back.

Poet

-TRGB-
04-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Love him.

Excellent skills, bagloads of swag and nail-like toughness.

A great asset to the sport in his pomp.

BattlingNelson
04-01-2011, 05:14 PM
He was a great talent. He had some of the fastest hands in boxing history. He was very exiting in the beginning of his career. There was a fight however, where he took a lot of punches (perhaps the Rosario fight as pointed out by Tbear) and that changed his style forever.

This meant he became a runner and most of his fights became snoozers after that. At least that's how I recall it.

The sad bit is that his still fighting and was scheduled to fight Allan Vester in Denmark some months ago. The fight fell through as Vester was injured. He should have called it a day a long time ago.

Ziggy Stardust
04-01-2011, 07:22 PM
There was a fight however, where he took a lot of punches (perhaps the Rosario fight as pointed out by Tbear) and that changed his style forever.

This meant he became a runner and most of his fights became snoozers after that. At least that's how I recall it.

Rosario exposed Camacho for the puzzy that he is.

Poet

-TRGB-
04-01-2011, 07:36 PM
How is calling Camacho, a guy who proved his toughness many times over, a "puzzy" in any way a fit contribution in a scholarly section like this?

I'm not even dissing the poster above me personally; he has his moments, good and bad. I'm just wondering aloud where the credibility of this sub-forum is at when any poster is allowed to keep returning and making remarks like that. In NSB, fine. In here, really?

-TRGB-
04-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Still, though...it's Macho Time.

http://www.boxing-memorabilia.com/images/Macho_Camacho_Boxing_Robe.jpg

Ziggy Stardust
04-01-2011, 07:44 PM
How is calling Camacho, a guy who proved his toughness many times over, a "puzzy" in any way a fit contribution in a scholarly section like this?

I'm not even dissing the poster above me personally; he has his moments, good and bad. I'm just wondering aloud where the credibility of this sub-forum is at when any poster is allowed to keep returning and making remarks like that. In NSB, fine. In here, really?

You don't prove your "toughness" by running like a b1tch and wearing drag to the ring.

Poet

RubenSonny
04-01-2011, 07:56 PM
The sad bit is that his still fighting and was scheduled to fight Allan Vester in Denmark some months ago. The fight fell through as Vester was injured. He should have called it a day a long time ago.

Yeah this stuff is pretty disgraceful, I can't believe they let some people fight, Saoul Mamby fighting at 60 is sickening, I hope Tapia stays out the ring too.

-TRGB-
04-01-2011, 08:01 PM
You don't prove your "toughness" by running like a b1tch and wearing drag to the ring.

Poet
So, you're saying Camacho wasn't good for boxing, wasn't an excellent fighter, never fought tough in his career at 140 and beyond (even when taking a whooping)? How many fights after Rosario could you truthfully say he "ran" in and didn't still show cojones?

I get it, you think he's girly, the camp getout and mannerisms made so much of an impression on you that moving and countering becomes simply "running" and he's denied any kind of credit forevermore.

:pat: The section called Boxing History would really be a great place to slay these myths. But, nevermind. Later.

Ziggy Stardust
04-01-2011, 08:09 PM
So, you're saying Camacho wasn't good for boxing,

Ray Leonard was good for boxing. Thomas Hearns was good for boxing. Marvin Hagler was good for boxing. Hector Camacho was a boil on boxing's anus.

wasn't an excellent fighter,

"Fighter" is hardly the word that comes to mind when Hector Camacho is metioned. Track star is a better description.

never fought tough in his career at 140 (even when taking a whooping)?

Running like a b1tch is neither "fighting" nor is it "tough".

How many fights after Rosario could you truthfully say he "ran" in and didn't still show cojones?

All of them.

moving and countering becomes simply "running" and he's denied any kind of credit forevermore.

Prime Muhammed Ali moved and countered. Wilfred Benitez moved and countered. Antonio Cervantes moved and countered. Camacho took pot-shots and ran like fvck (how Fraud Gayweather fights today).

I respect boxers, I do NOT respect pot-shotting runners.

Poet

Wild Blue Yonda
04-01-2011, 08:16 PM
As some have already stated, he was an outstanding Jr. Light & Lightweight (it's hard to be sure if this has simply been forgotten at large, or if people have actively chosen to disregard it, as a result of their contempt for him). At those weights, he was a very fine fighter, & at the peak of his fairly formidable powers. However, several factors combined to diminish him --- his outer-ring exploits (Camacho was crazy for the hard-&-fast life), the fight with Rosario which, by his own admission, forever altered his approach to fighting, & being brutalised by Chavez & moving up too high in weight collectively brought his game undone.

Though he did a fair bit of running for both, he still staved off young, hungry versions of bigger men in De La Hoya & Trinidad, the next generation coming through, in 12-round contests, which was at least somewhat impressive.

I will always remember him for the below quote...

"My wife boos when we make love. She knows it turns me on."

-TRGB-
04-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Ok, Camacho was not tough.

All Camacho ever did was run. In every fight from 140 onward. ALL OF THEM. Anyone could do what he did, in fact. He was not Ali, Benitez or Cervantes (ie. ATG or borderline ATG), and so he didn't move and counter and simply get beat by better guys while trying to do it, no, that was all just running. "Like a b1tch".

Camacho also never excited people and so was not good for boxing at all.

Thanks for the clinic. :ugh:

-TRGB-
04-01-2011, 08:18 PM
I will always remember him for the below quote...

"My wife boos when we make love. She knows it turns me on."
^^ Brilliance, right there.

Forza
04-02-2011, 07:44 PM
fastest southpaw ever and the best puerto rican fighter ever. He was messed up in the head though.

BOLLOCKS
04-02-2011, 07:47 PM
He's ghey.

Ben Bolt
04-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Fastest hands of all time reguardless of weight and one of if not the best chin ever.

Agree! The only thing missing was a KO punch. But if he had had that also, he would've been unbeatable and no fun to watch.

Wild Blue Yonda
04-03-2011, 12:51 AM
fastest southpaw ever and the best puerto rican fighter ever. He was messed up in the head though.

As my post indicated, I think Camacho was a fine boxer in the lower weights, sometimes gets under-rated as a result of resentment, but to call him the Islands greatest ever export is pretty insulting to several more worthy candidates.

GJC
04-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Well ignoring all the outfits etc (wrong generation for all that I guess) not a favourite of mine. Not to say he wasn't wasn't talented, he had a lot of talent. Whilst no sensible fighter likes to be hit I think Camacho took it too far, to the detriment of him as a fighter.
Probably went a weight or 2 too far as well, remember seeing him against Duran and wishing Duran wouldve been ten years younger