No announcement yet.

Nicolino Locche

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicolino Locche

In my opinion, Locche is the greatest pure defensive fighter of all time. Unlike other defensive masters who controlled the opponent and limited their offense with counter punches, Locche flat out invited you to attack him while standing right in front of you until you were tired, and then he would throw out some half assed offense to win the round every once in a while.

Ive always heard he never took training seriously and would even smoke inbetween rounds of some of his fights. for someone that had a very light training schedule and usually was out of shape, the man had amazing reflexes and skill.

what are your thoughts on Locche, how do you rate him at 140lbs? and on a side note, does anyone know wtf was up with his eyes in the Paul Fuji fight? He came into the fight like that.

I wish there was more footage of him. I would have LOVED to see his first fight with Cervantes in good quality, shutting out a HOF calibur fighter.

Locche was virtually unhittable in his prime and should be in everyone's top 10 at 140.. Not sure about his eyes myself. At one point, i thought it was down to bad vid quality, but then from certain angles, it clearly looks like he'd been poked in both sockets with the wrong end of a paint brush. Can't make it out?

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
      In my opinion, Locche is the greatest pure defensive fighter of all time. Unlike other defensive masters who controlled the opponent and limited their offense with counter punches, Locche flat out invited you to attack him while standing right in front of you until you were tired, and then he would throw out some half assed offense to win the round every once in a while.

Ive always heard he never took training seriously and would even smoke inbetween rounds of some of his fights. for someone that had a very light training schedule and usually was out of shape, the man had amazing reflexes and skill.

what are your thoughts on Locche, how do you rate him at 140lbs? and on a side note, does anyone know wtf was up with his eyes in the Paul Fuji fight? He came into the fight like that.
      I wish there was more footage of him. I would have LOVED to see his first fight with Cervantes in good quality, shutting out a HOF calibur fighter.

If anybody has an answer to that I sure would like to know too lol

Comment

Few could control a fight like Locche did with his defensive tactics. As you said he didn't put up much offense, although he did have a beautiful left hand when he used it. In his younger days he seemed to have been a more mobile boxer but later settled down to a more flat-footed stance, using the ropes to his advantage while avoiding the opponent's blows. Due to his defensive ability and fairly fast hands he was able to get away it, despite the sometimes poor conditioning and even disdain for the opponent.

I don't think anything was wrong with his eyes against Fuji.

Locche toying with the former light welterweight champ Carlos Hernandez:

He got shook up by a punch to the temple early on, but went onto dominate the rest of the rounds.
        Last edited by TheGreatA; 03-31-2011, 03:35 PM.

Comment

The above feat is especially impressive considering Hernandez was no bum, he was a hard-hitting boxer puncher who was just completely taken apart round by round by a master.

Here is Hernandez against Paolo Rosi:

It's easy to see that he had ability to hang with any of today's 140 lb contenders and probably to hold a title belt atleast. Locche made mockery of him, aside from the early scare, a testament to Hernandez's power (which scored him 44 knockouts in 60 wins).

Paul Fuji on the other hand was simply outrageous and made to order for Nicolino, although it was then felt that Fuji's brute power would beat Locche. Fuji was a street fighter whose fights resembled Dempsey-Willard in their brutality. He was left a broken man by Locche however, after finding out that his power was useless when there was nothing to hit.

Comment

Yeah, he has an amazing ability to avoid punches. Never even heard of him before a couple years ago. Been a boxing fan for about 20 years and collected Ring Magazine for 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
              Yeah, he has an amazing ability to avoid punches. Never even heard of him before a couple years ago. Been a boxing fan for about 20 years and collected Ring Magazine for 10 years.
              Boxing in Latin America had very little exposure during that time, thus lack of footage, very few people knew of him outside of in and around Argentina.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
                Boxing in Latin America had very little exposure during that time, thus lack of footage, very few people knew of him outside of in and around Argentina.
                He is entertaning to watch, but your right there is not much video of him to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post

Do you not consider him an ATG and do you consider Locche an ATG?

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
                  He is entertaning to watch, but your right there is not much video of him to watch.
                  Yeah, he was a marvel, like BI mentioned I'd love to see the first Cervantes fight.

Comment

to be fair to all the guys who earned them, locche had 14 draws
                    including some to opponents with less than ten fights in or near his prime
                    others with losing records (one guy was 0 and 4 with stoppage losses)

but the dude boxed over 1300 rounds!

maybe be was so talented he wasnt able to take every fight seriously

you do not win 117 fights without supreme ability if you are not a blessed puncher. that's a lot more brainwork than anything else.

i cant imagine going in to work supremely focused every day myself
                    and i'm no professional buttkicker

he's certainly a unique quantity in the sport.
                    deffinately a case of the mind being more gifted than the body.

the question becomes:
                    who would you rather watch him fight, amir khan or marcos maidana?

both would make for some theater

damn, i love boxing.

we can agree to disagree, but i dont believe he's anywhere near the best defensive fighter to ever lace up

doesnt this man just look hard to hit?
                    Last edited by New England; 03-31-2011, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X