View Full Version : Body Hunters

McBean
03-31-2011, 09:20 AM
I just watched the Gatti/Rodriguez fight (!!) which was turned around by some wicked bodywork. There's nothing quite like seeing someone crumple into a heap from a massive blow to the body (or an accumulation of body shots). Ali was a famous head hunter, but who liked to concentrate mostly on the body, and what are some memorable body knockouts?

New England
03-31-2011, 10:01 AM
gatti - dorin is one of the cleanest one punch body shots i can remember

bute's got some for the highlight reel

micky ward is my favorite body snatcher personally. probably because i grew up on the north shore

cotto was a tremendous body puncher at 140 and many of his fights at 147

marquez does well to the body with the hooks and those funny little uppercuts of his. he also drops the right hand to his opponents side
which is a very hard punch that goes unused today. ray robinson used to do it when guys would lean forward and roll a shoulder

i gotta run early today
but i'm gonna add a few more when i get back from the daily grind

The_Demon
03-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Mickey Ward was pretty average in a lot of ways but he was a wicked body puncher

RubenSonny
03-31-2011, 10:42 AM
McCallum, Chavez, Whitaker, Hearns.

IronDanHamza
03-31-2011, 10:43 AM
Roberto Durans body attack on Davey Moore was sickening.

Two fights I watched last night to fall asleep to were Tyson-Ruddock 1 and Tyson-Biggs and the body shots were tremendous, sickening thuds.

RubenSonny
03-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Roberto Durans body attack on Davey Moore was sickening.

Two fights I watched last night to fall asleep to were Tyson-Ruddock 1 and Tyson-Biggs and the body shots were tremendous, sickening thuds.

Good shout, I watched that the other day, I love that fight.

EMSLDB
03-31-2011, 11:27 AM
vassily jirov

RubenSonny
03-31-2011, 11:37 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3nKE8LME4sQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The_Demon
03-31-2011, 12:26 PM
The crushing shot Hatton landed on Castillo is pretty memorable also

Hopkins is another guy who works the body very well,less noticeable than other fighters however

IronDanHamza
03-31-2011, 12:37 PM
The crushing shot Hatton landed on Castillo is pretty memorable also

Hopkins is another guy who works the body very well,less noticeable than other fighters however

Ricky Hatton was a good body puncher. Used to rip some real good shots.

Use to love when he stepped to the right and throw the left hook to the pit of the stomach.

His fight with Urango was a clinic of body punches.

The_Demon
03-31-2011, 12:40 PM

Use to love when he stepped to the right and throw the left hook to the pit of the stomach.

Ye he had good snap and was pretty fast with those shots too,against Urango he landed some great shots too the body but it was actually him who ended up being hurt by a body shot in the 5th round i believe

NChristo
03-31-2011, 01:45 PM
For me the most memorable body ko / beating is definitely Carlos Palomino - John H Stracey, one of the worst I've seen.

New England
03-31-2011, 11:10 PM
Mickey Ward was pretty average in a lot of ways but he was a wicked body puncher

very well said

i'd even say he was below average in some areas
especially for a top tier fighter

which he may or may not have been
:boxing:

The_Demon
03-31-2011, 11:12 PM
very well said

i'd even say he was below average in some areas
especially for a top tier fighter

which he may or may not have been
:boxing:

Ye he would definitely be considered below average in quite a few areas on an elite level,but his toughness and body punching kept him alive against more skilled opponents more often than not

Steak
03-31-2011, 11:17 PM
McCallum, Chavez, Whitaker, Hearns.

For me the most memorable body ko / beating is definitely Carlos Palomino - John H Stracey, one of the worst I've seen.

this about sums it up for me.

oh, lets throw Jake LaMotta in the mix too while were at it...and what I liked the most about Robinson was his right hand to the body.

New England
03-31-2011, 11:21 PM

urango picked one round and landed some brutal shots on hatton's body as well

too bad he could only do it for one round

and ricky had abs like marble in his hayday and he just went back to work next round anyway
must have been the guinness or something

will add to the list of terrific contemporary body punchers:
giovanni segura

i got a ton of love for that little guy

GoogleMe
04-01-2011, 06:22 AM
You'll must have forgot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nKE8LME4sQ

Thread Stealer
04-01-2011, 07:24 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GBWNBLiutt8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7tdS5FYpg-8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

McBean
04-01-2011, 07:39 AM
How did Marvin Johnson stay on his feet?! That was brutal.