View Full Version : Greatest Rivalries

The Surgeon
03-27-2011, 05:09 PM
What is ur Favourite Rivalry in, boxing History?
Not just which provided us with the best fights but also the best build up, characters, back drop ect. ect

My pick is the Great Brittish Rivalry between hardcase Nigel Benn The Dark Destroyer and his eccentric counterpart Chris Eubank.

Tho there have been fights during other rivalries that were EVEN better than the ones put on by these two, and longer series' of fights too, these guys just get me going every time even now! Something about the deeply contrasting personalitys and styles makes them in my eyes the Greatest boxing Rivalry ever....

BigStereotype
03-27-2011, 05:23 PM
The most historically significant is easily Frazier-Ali but in terms of pure, unadulterated violence AND hatred, you can't top Barrera-Morales.

The Surgeon
03-27-2011, 05:26 PM
The most historically significant is easily Frazier-Ali but in terms of pure, unadulterated violence AND hatred, you can't top Barrera-Morales.

I actually preffer the Marquez vs Vasquez fights but yeah if these two (Barrera and El Terrible) were english speaking then they may get the nod from me too

As it stands tho Benn vs Bank all the way!!! :boxing:

IronDanHamza
03-27-2011, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't claim it's even close to the best but my favourite is most definitely Benn Vs Eubank.

Here in the UK and especially England where I'm from. The rivarly was truley the most electric the UK has ever been for boxing in my lifetime. EVERYONE whos anyone, even people who didn't like Boxing, were pumped about this fight.

It was the first real high profile rivalry between to UK fighters in a long time and Benn had pure hatred for Eubank. Add that to the way Eubank's ****yness really helped the build up entertainment wise.

It really was phenominal. It was even better for me Eubank won as he was probably my favourite fighter at that time :lol1:

Mugwump
03-27-2011, 06:02 PM
I think the Benn vs Eubank rivalry is certainly one of the most fascinating. Definitely Ali vs Frazier as well as Lamotta vs Sugar Ray and possibly Leonard vs Hagler.

BigStereotype
03-27-2011, 06:20 PM
I actually preffer the Marquez vs Vasquez fights but yeah if these two (Barrera and El Terrible) were english speaking then they may get the nod from me too

As it stands tho Benn vs Bank all the way!!! :boxing:

Those fights were amazing, but those two guys are like best friends. Barrera and Morales straight up wanted to kill each other. But yeah, they were unbelievable wars...III is easily on par with Barrera-Morales I.

The Surgeon
03-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Those fights were amazing, but those two guys are like best friends. Barrera and Morales straight up wanted to kill each other. But yeah, they were unbelievable wars...III is easily on par with Barrera-Morales I.

Totally agreed man, The "kill" factor makes a big difference!

The Surgeon
03-28-2011, 05:06 AM
Just watched Benn vs Eubank 1 & 2 last night, They ARE great fights in their own right no question. Its the men rather than the boxers who make this one so special tho

SCtrojansbaby
03-28-2011, 09:41 AM
For me it's Castillo/Corralles

RubenSonny
03-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Barrera-Morales and Ali-Frazier are probably my favorites, I always thought the Pac-Marquez rivalry was underrated. Ted "Kid" Lewis fought Jack Britton 20 times, Sam Langford fought Harry wills 17 times and Cocoa Kid fought Holman Williams 11 times.

The Surgeon
03-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Barrera-Morales and Ali-Frazier are probably my favorites, I always thought the Pac-Marquez rivalry was underrated. Ted "Kid" Lewis fought Jack Britton 20 times, Sam Langford fought Harry wills 17 times and Cocoa Kid fought Holman Williams 11 times.

Was waiting on someone mentioning Lewis vs Britton!

I love the Pac vs Marquez fights, infact i watch their second fight all the time. And it is a good rivalry, Marquez so bitter, Pacquaio the superstar.
But it falls well short of Benn vs Eubank in my opinion

The Surgeon
03-28-2011, 10:22 AM
For me it's Castillo/Corralles

I rate their first fight as the best fight ive ever seen, top 3 at the very very least, even their second fight is brilliant and very under appreciated as it didnt live up to the first (how could it!?) and had the contraversy over weight sour it a bit

Dont rate the rivalry too high tho

I think Gatti vs Ward while totally different from Benn vs Eubank is a good one, great fights and the fact they became such close friends after the wars they went through, its a feel good rivalry. Loved that video of Ward and Gatti in hospital beds next to each other lol

Barnburner
03-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Here's a thread I made a while ago on the same subject, if you're interested.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427683&highlight=Rivalries

Basilio vs Robinson is my favourite.

McBean
03-28-2011, 05:46 PM
I recently watched the Barrera/McKinney fight. I know sometimes things are staged for the cameras but it really seemed to me that Barrera wanted to kill McKinney, and after the press conference so did I! I was so rooting for Barrera that when the fight was over - and what a fight it was - I nearly burst into tears! You can't beat a fight where there's someone you really like up against a loudmouth and they shut him up good and proper. :)

SCtrojansbaby
03-28-2011, 07:57 PM
I recently watched the Barrera/McKinney fight. I know sometimes things are staged for the cameras but it really seemed to me that Barrera wanted to kill McKinney, and after the press conference so did I! I was so rooting for Barrera that when the fight was over - and what a fight it was - I nearly burst into tears! You can't beat a fight where there's someone you really like up against a loudmouth and they shut him up good and proper. :)

Barrera showed Mckinney love after the fight too like a true warrior.