View Full Version : mma fighters who would be serious contenders in boxing

shadeyfizzle
03-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Only ones I can think of are jeremy williams who was a actual heavyweight title contender and nick diaz who I hear spars regularly with andre ward. Any others out there???

$BloodyNate$
03-26-2011, 09:05 PM
BJ Penn would have probably done well if he did straight boxing when he started fighting. Rampage probably could have done have decent too although now he's just a straight haymaker thrower now but he could have been good.

Anderson could be decent maybe.

JonoYoungP4P
03-26-2011, 09:38 PM
not many at all.

monaroCountry
03-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Gegard Mousasi and Sergei Kharitonov

khepesh
03-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Jon Jones could have cut it in any combat sport, IMO.

BKM-2010
03-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Ok well any of the guys who showed great natural talents even though they had only been training boxing for not so long. Still, it would take years and years for the best ones to compete against the top boxers, and I would still doubt any coming close to top 20 in the world. Boxing is way too difficult to just break through.

MMA fighters spend too much time grappling, kicking etc. The only combat sport fighters that went into boxing succesfully were muay Thai and kickboxers, but they already trained a lot of boxing and were very good at it already.

MARKBNLV
03-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Gegard Mousasi and Sergei Kharitonov

Kharitonov has nice boxing ability but is too slow the same with nick diaz,Krazy horse comes to mind the problem with him is he lacks the displine it takes to box.

Jack3d
03-27-2011, 12:32 PM
BJ Penn. I think Manhoef has a great build to be a pro boxer too.

Move BRICKS
03-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Well naturally there are a few boxing champs who have tried to walk through MMA fighters in their own sport. Their hands are always leaps and bounds ahead of even the most dangerous MMA champions, but their records show that they didn't take the challenge seriously, la James Toney. Not sure if they can be counted because someone like that isn't committed to the sport.

Though there are a few who have made a decent transition and have good records, I'd say Jeremy Williams, undefeated in MMA at 5-0 should be considered to have some of the best hands of anyone to successfully compete in the sport. He holds a 42(35)-5-1 record in professional boxing. Though he hasn't competed in MMA since 2008.

Outside of folks who have had substantial records in professional boxing, I always thought Marcus Hicks had good form, speed, power, etc. and everything a boxer would need with the exception of a good gas tank.

Just another thought, once there is a decent commission or some type of committee that can regulate the sport of MMA better and give the fighters what they deserve as far as pay goes, we will be seeing more and more dangerous stand up fighters competing. As for now, I still see some Billy Blanks Tae Bo stand up in most of the fights with the exception of a few contenders and champs that posses borderline professional boxing skills.

-BRICKS
:skull:

AKATheMack
03-27-2011, 01:11 PM
There are several who could have been if they had devoted their lives to it, but even a 170 Nick Diaz gets beat by the elite at 140. Different sports.

monaroCountry
03-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Kharitonov has nice boxing ability but is too slow the same with nick diaz,Krazy horse comes to mind the problem with him is he lacks the displine it takes to box.

Seriously? the guy has great grounding, picks his shots and very strong, can also take punches. Out of anyone Kharitonov has a very good chance. These eastern european dudes fight differently from the flashy American boxers.

Lets see Kharitonov's boxing background shall we?

Sergei started his Amateur Boxing Career in 2000. He tried to get into the Russian Olympic Boxing team but got injured in the semi finals during a live boxing TV event. Instead he competed for Tajikistan in 2003 at the Central Asian Games where he won a silver medal. Kharitonov earned a shot at that year***8217;s Olympics, representing former Tajikistan (the former Soviet republics often have ethnic Russians on their teams) but passed on the chance to instead fight in the Pride 2004 Heavyweight Grand Prix.

He nearly qualified for the Athens Games by winning the silver medal at the 2004 Asian Amateur Boxing Championships in Puerto Princesa, Philippines. In the final he was defeated by Uzbekistan's Rustam Saidov. In the fall of 2004 he competed in the Russian Boxing Championship and placed second. Sergei could not fight in the final match due to an injury.

F l i c k e r
03-28-2011, 08:27 AM
I can't think of a single one.

Seriously, they wouldn't get man handled but at the same time, none of them would be serious contenders.

It would be like saying, BJ Penn would be a tough match for Sergio Martinez.... Not f-ing happening :nonono:

monaroCountry
03-28-2011, 08:36 AM
Jon Jones could have cut it in any combat sport, IMO.

Here comes another hyping of up of a fighter who hasnt fought anyone of worth apart from Shogun. This is the typical Zuffa conveyer belt of champions where as soon as they become champion they are hyped as some sort of second coming. This happened to Brock, happened to Carwin.

Jon Jones has too sloppy a style for boxing and would get obliterated against the top kickboxers. American kickboxing is a bit like being champions in the special Olympics (compared to the strong kickboxing nations).

monaroCountry
03-28-2011, 08:43 AM
To see top MMA fighters who could make a splash in boxing i think that you would have to look at fighters from Holland, Russia and those areas. Seriously the level of striking in American MMA is below par.

Spray_resistant
03-28-2011, 11:14 AM
I have a hard time imagining Marco Huck beating Anderson Silva in a boxing match right now.

blaze778
03-28-2011, 03:24 PM
If you mean current MMA fighters who would make the jump today, then probably no one. But Penn and Nick Diaz would be the closest to being serious contenders. I'm sure they can hold their own against top contenders, but not sure if they would be very successful in boxing as they are in MMA.

Anderson Silva has a nice boxing style for MMA, but I don't think he can get away boxing the way he does an elite level. But Silva is naturally gifted and could have been great in boxing if he focused solely on that.

khepesh
03-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Here comes another hyping of up of a fighter who hasnt fought anyone of worth apart from Shogun. This is the typical Zuffa conveyer belt of champions where as soon as they become champion they are hyped as some sort of second coming. This happened to Brock, happened to Carwin.

Jon Jones has too sloppy a style for boxing and would get obliterated against the top kickboxers. American kickboxing is a bit like being champions in the special Olympics (compared to the strong kickboxing nations).

This reply was a waste of your time.

I've followed combat sports for only a couple of decades.

Yes, the Bones we know is a sloppy puncher. My reply was written under assumption that Jon Jones took his way to the boxing gym (instead of a wrestling one) when 10-15 years old. Would that Jones be a sloppy puncher, if taught to punch correctly from the beginning?

blaze778
03-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Yes, the Bones we know is a sloppy puncher. My reply was written under assumption that Jon Jones took his way to the boxing gym (instead of a wrestling one) when 10-15 years old. Would that Jones be a sloppy puncher, if taught to punch correctly from the beginning?

The same can be said about most MMA fighters, but none of them are blessed with the frame, reach, and athletic ability that Jones possesses.

F l i c k e r
03-29-2011, 04:03 PM
If you mean current MMA fighters who would make the jump today, then probably no one. But Penn and Nick Diaz would be the closest to being serious contenders. I'm sure they can hold their own against top contenders, but not sure if they would be very successful in boxing as they are in MMA.

Anderson Silva has a nice boxing style for MMA, but I don't think he can get away boxing the way he does an elite level. But Silva is naturally gifted and could have been great in boxing if he focused solely on that.

You mean to tell me you think Penn vs Paul Williams would be a competitive fight?

Nick Diaz is a good boxer but he is just too slow and pitty pats too much for real boxing. MMA he can do that. Boxing ring, not gonna work. Nick Diaz fighting AA(arthur abraham) c'mon now. Not gonna be competitive.

Anderson Silva could be a serious contender but only for the sole reason that the division he would fight in is relatively weak/dry. Cruiserweight really has no "stand out" performers. :lol1:

Not trying to argue, I just want to know why you think that.

blaze778
03-29-2011, 04:24 PM
You mean to tell me you think Penn vs Paul Williams would be a competitive fight?

Nick Diaz is a good boxer but he is just too slow and pitty pats too much for real boxing. MMA he can do that. Boxing ring, not gonna work. Nick Diaz fighting AA(arthur abraham) c'mon now. Not gonna be competitive.

Anderson Silva could be a serious contender but only for the sole reason that the division he would fight in is relatively weak/dry. Cruiserweight really has no "stand out" performers. :lol1:

Not trying to argue, I just want to know why you think that.

I meant hold their own, as not get totally dominated. While I'm sure they can at least look like they belong in the ring with top boxers, I didn't exactly mean being competitive.

Like the way Remillard hung in there against Garcia last weekend. Sure he lost every round, but they weren't blowouts. And Remilard was game and didn't really take a beating until the end.

I said earlier that I wasn't sure if any MMA fighter can be a serious contender, but I think guys like Penn and Diaz can at least put up a decent effort against many top boxers, but not all.

Konstantin
03-29-2011, 04:29 PM
BJ Penns boxing is over rated. He is slick an he has a couple moves, but fact of the matter is he got OUT BOXED by Frankie Edgar

$BloodyNate$
03-29-2011, 05:31 PM
MMGAY fans are so delusional.None of these jokers would even be competitive at journeyman level.

Kaps can't you ban this idiot from the section already?

monaroCountry
03-30-2011, 04:18 AM
The same can be said about most MMA fighters, but none of them are blessed with the frame, reach, and athletic ability that Jones possesses.

Athletic ability and genes is over rated used by those who cant actually do it. Who would have thought that PacMan can be as successful as he is.

Jones isnt even an average boxer, he pitty pats too much and runs around, his strikes arent crisp and his defences is garbage. He also doesnt have a boxing background or even any top level striking background.

The two ive chosen actually has a pretty solid boxing background and striking background.

monaroCountry
03-30-2011, 04:20 AM
I have a hard time imagining Marco Huck beating Anderson Silva in a boxing match right now.

Anderson Silva would get slaughtered in a pure boxing match against boxers or even a pure kickboxing fight against actual K1 (top level) kickboxers. America especially MMA America simply doesnt have the top level boxers and kickboxers. A top level American MMA striker is probably pretty average.

Marchegiano
04-03-2011, 02:12 PM
IMO The Reem could shake up the HW division in boxing. I still question his chin, but his muay thai has become utterly brilliant, and his level of athleticism I believe is much high than contender such as Arreola, Solis etc. He definitely has KO power.

monaroCountry
04-04-2011, 01:33 AM
IMO The Reem could shake up the HW division in boxing. I still question his chin, but his muay thai has become utterly brilliant, and his level of athleticism I believe is much high than contender such as Arreola, Solis etc. He definitely has KO power.

Overeem could do well in boxing but would most likely get out pointed for the majority of his fights. The guy has defences like a fortress but a great boxer would continually pepper him with shots. There are only a handful of MMA fighters that could slot into boxing, Gegard, Sergei and Overeem are the three most obvious.

Spray_resistant
04-04-2011, 02:38 AM
Anderson Silva would get slaughtered in a pure boxing match against boxers or even a pure kickboxing fight against actual K1 (top level) kickboxers. America especially MMA America simply doesnt have the top level boxers and kickboxers. A top level American MMA striker is probably pretty average.

Have you seen Marco Huck fight before?

CiganoBoxer
04-04-2011, 03:22 AM
Anderson Silva would get slaughtered in a pure boxing match He already did...he got knocked out by a bum in one of his two pro boxing fights :boxing:
I think the amount of mma fighters that could hold their own in a boxing ring with a legitimate contender or let alone champion is very thin on the ground indeed ...in fact their as rare as hens teeth :D

Marchegiano
04-04-2011, 08:11 PM
What ever happened to Diaz-Vargas?

shadeyfizzle
04-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Guys...im looking for mma fighters that would be serious contenders in boxing. They dont have to be top level mma fighters because obviously the more you focus in one area the more holes you have in your game as far as mma is concerned.

Edson Berto is a mediocre mma fighter, but being the brother of andre berto obviously has a really deep, excellent boxing background. Whether or not that translates into success in boxing, i'm not sure.

Jeremy Williams is undefeated in mma, but also an actual elite level boxer and was a top 10 heavyweight for a period of time.

Lets not forget Vitali was also a kickboxer before he was even a boxer

elgranluchadore
04-04-2011, 09:37 PM
at hw maybe since it doesnt take much
but at the lower weights or even at 170 they would need to do some serious training if they wanted to be actual contenders

Steak
04-04-2011, 11:09 PM
the only kickboxers that have successfully transitioned to boxing are Thai ones that hit hard. ie Galaxy, Payakaroon...

even the best punchers in K-1 and mma have failed in boxing, like Mark Hunt, Sefo, Alexander Emelianenko...no offense to Sergei and Overeem, but the thread title does say 'serious contenders', and they flat out wouldnt be that.

besides, Overeem would fail steroid testing too often.

elgranluchadore
04-04-2011, 11:30 PM
the only kickboxers that have successfully transitioned to boxing are Thai ones that hit hard. ie Galaxy, Payakaroon...

even the best punchers in K-1 and mma have failed in boxing, like Mark Hunt, Sefo, Alexander Emelianenko...no offense to Sergei and Overeem, but the thread title does say 'serious contenders', and they flat out wouldnt be that.

didnt the overeems get tested in strikeforce by the state athletic commision?

Marchegiano
04-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Yeah The Reem is clean. Other than his size/shape I've never heard a reason why anyone would believe he's on peds. He's, to my knowledge, never failed a test or been closely related to any ped organization.

I believe there are still some HW that would beat Overeem. However, the guys we've seen in the last five or six title fights I think Alistair would beat. I could easily see Overeem beating Solis, Briggs, Peter, Chambers, Harrison, or Ruiz.

ALAXAN_FR
04-05-2011, 06:40 AM
I think Spider Silva is one.... used to box before moving up to MMA..... has a not so impressive debut tho.... 1-1 win loss card...

Steak
04-05-2011, 12:02 PM
didnt the overeems get tested in strikeforce by the state athletic commision?

like that matters.
http://mmabadass.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Overeem-Timeline1.jpg
the man is obviously on steroids. look how puffed up and square his face becomes? guess he just has been working out his face muscles a lot...not to mention his upper arm/bicep/shoulder regions are the part of him that have exploded so much, and unless Im mistaken thats also a side effect of steroids.

Im definitely not the kind of guy that will cry 'steroids!' for every muscular athlete out there, but Overeem is a special case. Its obvious hes on something. you dont gain 40lbs of solid muscle within a few years.

anyways that one guy in the GP with one arm was still able to reach around Overeems guard and rock him momentarily, and Overeem still doesnt have that good of a chin. he would be a fringe contender maybe, but thats it.

shadeyfizzle
04-05-2011, 05:39 PM

How do you think edson berto would do in boxing? Guy sucks in mma but he is andre berto's brother

Steak
04-05-2011, 07:11 PM
How do you think edson berto would do in boxing? Guy sucks in mma but he is andre berto's brother
being a brother of someone very rarely means anything.

I dont know much about Edon Berto, but I do know that he was being outstruck by KJ Noons...and Noons definitely didnt get very far in boxing either.

Marchegiano
04-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Lol @ "that guy" Tyrone ****ing Spong would do very well in boxing. His rocking of the The Reem isn't that surprising. He's a pedigree striker Ernesto Hoost doesn't just train anyone. I feel like you need to watch more Tyrone fights. You should watch more K-1.

Steak
04-05-2011, 09:33 PM
I was talking about Gokhan Saki actually, he was the one with one arm.

and Ive watched a lot of K-1. Sefo, Hunt and Mighty Mo were all considered the best punchers in K-1 for a long time, and none of them did well in boxing at all...Hunt went 0-1-1 against bums, Sefo got KTFO, and Mo got his jaw broken. all against no name boxers.

Sponge is not incredible with his hands. LeBanner was outpunching him and even rocking him with jabs through his guard, and an old fat Frans Botha made LeBanner quit even in kickboxing. he gets off balance with his punches too often, and doesnt get ideal leverage behind them either, his back is rarely behind his punches.

kaps
04-05-2011, 09:45 PM
No MMA fighter would be a serious contender in boxing. Just like no boxer would be a serious contender in MMA. Unless they stopped focusing on their own sports at an early age and started focusing strictly on the other....

Steak
04-05-2011, 09:54 PM
No MMA fighter would be a serious contender in boxing. Just like no boxer would be a serious contender in MMA. Unless they stopped focusing on their own sports at an early age and started focusing strictly on the other....

not entirely true, KJ Noons and Marcus Davis have gone from boxing into mma and done better in mma than boxing(although werent amazing by any means). and I think that maybe someone like Kermit Cintron who had collegiate wrestling credentials to go along with his boxing could do well.

and there have been Muay Thai fighters like Samart Payakaroon and Galaxy that have been able to become world champs in boxing.

its just pretty damn rare that either could transition into the other and be considered top fighters.

Marchegiano
04-05-2011, 10:24 PM
I do both with pretty equal success/failure. Fighting has more to do with who you are than anything. A **** ton of things factor in but nothing more than your most basic self.

CHRIS RESTA
04-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Only ones I can think of are jeremy williams who was a actual heavyweight title contender and nick diaz who I hear spars regularly with andre ward. Any others out there???

Silva and Bj penn thats it

madmadworld
04-09-2011, 10:00 AM
there are no Bo Jackson's in these 2 sports