View Full Version : Pacquiao/Marquez and Ali/Norton

Flo_Raiden
03-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Anyone see the similarity in terms of styles match ups and the controversy surrounding those fighs? Pacquiao and Ali, both great fighters who achieved a lot, struggled with their stylistic nightmare and many believed both Marquez and Norton got robbed in their fights. Both were great fights as well but it shows that styles make fights.

Ali in his absolute best would have had a much easier time with Norton and Pacquiao right now would be able to beat Marquez much more convincingly IMO.

Wild Blue Yonda
03-21-2011, 01:53 PM
There are obvious similarities, but I dont see it as cut and dried as you. Ali would always have been significantly troubled by Norton, & Marquez's greatness has as much to do with his making Pacquaio struggle as the style clash. Marquez is a true great, unlike Norton, who was a little more dependent on styles & strategy to challenge his great foe. As for Pacquiao more easily accounting for Marquez now (which I agree with) thats not really analogous to a prime Ali doing better against Norton, its exclusively a size issue, no more meaningful than saying Ali would batter Norton if you made the latter fight whilst heavily overweight.

BennyST
03-22-2011, 01:21 AM
Anyone see the similarity in terms of styles match ups and the controversy surrounding those fighs? Pacquiao and Ali, both great fighters who achieved a lot, struggled with their stylistic nightmare and many believed both Marquez and Norton got robbed in their fights. Both were great fights as well but it shows that styles make fights.

Ali in his absolute best would have had a much easier time with Norton and Pacquiao right now would be able to beat Marquez much more convincingly IMO.

Maybe in the case of Ali, though I think Norton would always give him trouble. Pac and Marquez though would always be the same. The only reason it would be any different now is because Marquez is 40 years old, still only a small lightweight and well past his peak whereas Pac is still in his peak early 30's and has become a solid, genuine welterweight.

With both at their best, it has as much to do with Marquez being just as great a fighter as Pacquiao though not being able to climb as many divisions due to his naturally smaller stature/frame.

I think Pac certainly beats him now, but it most definitely has nothing to do with Pac being much greater all of a sudden, and everything to do with Marquez being old, past it and too small to go up to 147 again and Pac still at his best and being a proper 147 fighter.

It's going to be sad for Marquez if the fight does go forward this year or next because he will probably get stopped, or at least soundly beaten this time and people will always say it was because Pac has suddenly gained new found skills instead of it being more that Marquez will be 40, past it, slower, easier to hit, too small ie. fatter for 147 and coming off what will be, by the time they fight, at the least a year long lay-off if not more.