View Full Version : Conteh v Monzon

Quarry
03-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Did you know that John Conteh would have fought Carlos Monzon if only a 10,000 pound fine for Monzon failing to take a urine test after his Napoles fight in Paris would have been lifted by the EBU in 1975. who would have won and how would the fight go.

RFPROBOX
03-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Did you know that John Conteh would have fought Carlos Monzon if only a 10,000 pound fine for Monzon failing to take a urine test after his Napoles fight in Paris would have been lifted by the EBU in 1975. who would have won and how would the fight go.

Depends on the weight. At 175 I would have to pick Conteh. At 160 I'm not picking anybody in history to beat Monzon. And that includes glass jaw Roy Jones jr.

The_Demon
03-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Depends on the weight. At 175 I would have to pick Conteh. At 160 I'm not picking anybody in history to beat Monzon. And that includes glass jaw Roy Jones jr.

What makes you think roy jones had a glass jaw? Thats some NSB **** right there,he didnt get knocked out until he was well past his best

Barn
03-21-2011, 12:27 PM
What makes you think roy jones had a glass jaw? Thats some NSB **** right there,he didnt get knocked out until he was well past his best
It wasn't exactly fantastic. It was because he was past his best that his chin got exposed to flush shots and he fell. Whether his chin was actually worse we will never know.

The_Demon
03-21-2011, 03:55 PM
It wasn't exactly fantastic. It was because he was past his best that his chin got exposed to flush shots and he fell. Whether his chin was actually worse we will never know.

I know it wasn't fantastic,but too call it 'glass' is ridiculous,jones took a fair few punches when he was in his prime too,he wasnt unhittable like some people make out

RFPROBOX
03-21-2011, 09:27 PM

Because he can't take a punch. I said this years ago when Jones was in his prime clowning and doing his stupid chicken dances in the ring. I knew once he got hit he would fold up like a cheap suit.

Ziggy Stardust
03-21-2011, 11:08 PM
I seriously doubt a slow, crude Monzon who didn't exactly have huge power would be the one to expose Jones' "glass" jaw.

Poet

Scott9945
03-21-2011, 11:24 PM
I seriously doubt a slow, crude Monzon who didn't exactly have huge power would be the one to expose Jones' "glass" jaw.

Poet

He wasn't Stanley Ketchell or Julian Jackson, but Monzon had very heavy hands.

The_Demon
03-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Because he can't take a punch. I said this years ago when Jones was in his prime clowning and doing his stupid chicken dances in the ring. I knew once he got hit he would fold up like a cheap suit.

Ok,well until you show me some evidence of a prime Jones hurt or knocked out in his prime then you really dont have much of a point,i would show you some evidence on the contrary,but i really dont think it would matter too you

Steak
03-22-2011, 11:21 AM
he was hurt against Del Valle, although that was only one instance and he wasnt too messed up from the punch.

I dont think Roy had a very good chin, but it wasnt god awful, and its much easier said than done to hit the guy flush.

also, he was only about 34/35 years old when he started getting KOed. generally a fighter loses their punch resistance when theyve taken too much damage...that was the exact opposite of how Roy's career went. when his reflexes were diminishing he started getting hit more, and when he started getting hit more...well. ktfo.

but every fighter is different.

The_Demon
03-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Nope his chin wasnt that good i know,but it certainly wasnt 'glass',but im repeating myself now and just sounding like an idiot,il drop it,after all this thread is about Mozon vs Conteh rather than Roy jones' chin

joseph5620
03-22-2011, 03:06 PM
he was hurt against Del Valle, although that was only one instance and he wasnt too messed up from the punch.

I dont think Roy had a very good chin, but it wasnt god awful, and its much easier said than done to hit the guy flush.

also, he was only about 34/35 years old when he started getting KOed. generally a fighter loses their punch resistance when theyve taken too much damage...that was the exact opposite of how Roy's career went. when his reflexes were diminishing he started getting hit more, and when he started getting hit more...well. ktfo.

but every fighter is different.

He was 35 when he first got knocked out and wasn't close to his prime. That was also after moving back down to light heavyweight. You also have to consider how long he had been boxing including amateur fights opposed to just age.

barfly12
03-22-2011, 05:02 PM
He had a crunching right hand which he threw tomahawk style. No one ever fought Monzon and said he couldn't punch. He also had amazing stamina and unlimited stalking patience. He eventually would have caught up with Roy and kayoed him. What really hurts Jones in evaluating him against the greats is his total lack of a left jab. In his later years he had a glass jaw, in his prime, no one knows as it was never tested.

joseph5620
03-22-2011, 06:47 PM
He had a crunching right hand which he threw tomahawk style. No one ever fought Monzon and said he couldn't punch. He also had amazing stamina and unlimited stalking patience. He eventually would have caught up with Roy and kayoed him. What really hurts Jones in evaluating him against the greats is his total lack of a left jab. In his later years he had a glass jaw, in his prime, no one knows as it was never tested.

He had a left jab and used it when he chose to use it which wasn't often because he didn't need to. If what he did use (in place of the jab) worked you can't penalize him historically for that. It's not like he didn't know how to jab because he picked Vinnie Pazienza apart with his jab.

mickey malone
03-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Hard one to call, and yes, Monzon Conteh was at one time a possibility.
Only reason it's hard is because we never saw Monzon fight above 160 so much has to be assumed.

As already mentioned, Carlos wasn't the fastest at mw but dominated his division with a cyborg-like toughness.. Conteh however, was a fairly fast and genuine lhwt with a decent chin, so unless Monzon had impressed in a warm up at 175 i'd be inclined to say Conteh by dc.. On the other hand, if Monzon suited the weight (which i think he would) then maybe he could score a late stoppage. John was a quick starter but also known to tire a bit in the later rounds which imo when Monzon was at his strongest, so this too could be a big possibility.