View Full Version : Jon Jones: I'm Alistair Overeem with better wrestling, better jiu-jitsu

Shabba Rank$
03-19-2011, 02:48 AM
UFC light-heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (19-4 MMA, 3-2 UFC) may believe he's faced opponents of similar stature to Jon Jones (12-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC). He may think he had no problems getting inside their long limbs and chopping away with kicks and punches.

But he'd be wrong, according to Jones.

The challenger said he's a better version of two opponents – Cyrille "The Snake" Diabate and Alistair Overeem – to which Rua has compared him in the buildup to their meeting at UFC 128, which takes place Saturday at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

Rua could claim otherwise until the dust clears from his first title defense. He iced the pair in question as a 23-year-old in the heyday of PRIDE. They both were longer than him and seasoned strikers in their own right, and it mattered little when matched against his intensity.

Now Jones is in Rua's place as a 23-year-old who's shot up the ranks with a freewheeling and aggressive style. The champ is now 29 years old, but he hasn't lost much of the intensity that made him a breakout star.

Both agree there are several comparisons that can be made from their respective careers. But Jones said there are none when it comes to breaking down Saturday's fight based on past competition.

"I'm not 'Snake' or Overeem," Jones said. "Where 'Snake' was really good at striking, 'Snake' had zero physical strength. 'Snake' had zero wrestling, and 'Snake' had zero jiu-jitsu. So I'm not 'Snake.'

"And when he says he's fought Overeem? Me and Overeem have similarities in being tall. I think I'm taller than Overeem. I know that my arms are longer. I think my strength could match to Overeem to where Overeem was in that point in his career. I look at myself as an Overeem with better wrestling, and better jiu-jitsu, and (a) more unpredictable style.

"Where he's mentioned he's fought tall black guys before, (I'm) a lot different than both of those two."

Whether or not Rua thinks he's already got the answer for Jones, his approach isn't going change, the challenger said. That's when he'll know he's in for a different kind of fight.

"I think he's going to rush me," Jones said. "I think he's going to rush me and look for that right knee. Maybe I'll go for a shot, and maybe I'll go for a face shot into an attack.

"But I think he's going to rush me, and if he does, we'll be ready for that."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/22884/ufc-128s-jon-jones-im-alistair-overeem-with-better-wrestling-better-jiu-jitsu.mma

Iono if I agree with that.

But Jones is still my boy tho.

'Sugar' Freddi
03-19-2011, 03:04 AM
I think he might be in there for the shock of his life.

Shabba Rank$
03-19-2011, 03:16 AM

We already have our 1 billion point bet on.

:boxing:

led
03-19-2011, 03:46 AM

Are you referring to Rua? :D

kaps
03-19-2011, 04:12 AM
Waiting for Dorian.....

ƒallenloki
03-19-2011, 05:41 AM
AAANNNNNNDDD.... I officially dislike this kid.

Dorian
03-19-2011, 05:50 AM
Jones Jones is a very good fighter, he's pretty much the Anderson Silva of 205. Even if he loses to Shogun he is still the #2 guy in the division.

The Alistair Overeem comment and some of his others comments have been a bit disrespectful tho, he said Shogun's BJJ is overrated, he said he's the GSP with superior striking ect... I like the kids confidence but I didn't think he would go this far. Either way I'm pumped up for the fight. I can't wait!

Dorian
03-19-2011, 05:51 AM
Waiting for Dorian.....

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qP2Cd9U49IE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kaps
03-19-2011, 06:00 AM
It's weird, I used to kinda like Jon Jones, but the more he talks, the more I want to see Shogun stick his elbow down his throat....

GreatestIam
03-19-2011, 06:12 AM
Damn Jones is what id be if i was in the spotlight, soft spoken skilled very confident guy who knows what he's capable of,. he demolishes Rua Tmrw!!

MindBat
03-19-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure about Bones. He has a versatile style and he sounds confident as he should be, plus he believes in the law of attraction which can't be a bad thing. After all, he's just a late replacement who "lucked" into the spot for Shogun's title.

Shogun's about seen it all. About the only advantage Bones would have over Hua is age.

-Swizzy-
03-19-2011, 06:17 PM
wtf is this Anderson Silva, Overeem, GSP comparisons. The guy is a VERY good fighter and I think he'll beat Shogun, but for him and others to put his skills that that level is insane. The guy is just a really big and athletic wrestler. Sure he has some striking skills, but I want to see him win the K-1 tourney with those skills. No way he is on that level.

Las Vegas,
03-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Yes, he is exactly like Alistair Overeem back in Pride.

Ubereem? Lol, not even close.

Shabba Rank$
03-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Kirby;10257162']Yes, he is exactly like Alistair Overeem back in Pride.

Ubereem? Lol, not even close.

He needs to win a k-1 tourney for him to even THINK about saying he's like the UBEREEM.

kaps
03-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Ubereem lucked out when Schilts lost to Aerts....

Dorian
03-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Ubereem lucked out when Schilts lost to Aerts....

That would have been my dream final but it's hard to say he 'lucked; out, he probably would have beat Schilt.

kaps
03-19-2011, 06:44 PM
That would have been my dream final but it's hard to say he 'lucked; out, he probably would have beat Schilt.

Hopefully we'll see this year. Now that Zuffa owns strikeforce, you think they are going to let Ubereem continue to fight K-1?

Shabba Rank$
03-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Hopefully we'll see this year. Now that Zuffa owns strikeforce, you think they are going to let Ubereem continue to fight K-1?

That's what I asked Dorian before...

And I don't think they'll let him continue fighting K-1.

Only Dream as Dorian said.

kaps
03-19-2011, 07:32 PM
I'd rather see him fight k-1...

Shabba Rank$
03-19-2011, 07:36 PM
I'd rather see him fight k-1...

That's what I said...

I'd rather Alistair stay in Japan and fight K-1 and Dream instead of being put in a slave contract w/UFC/Zuffa.

snakey112
03-19-2011, 07:40 PM
hope to see shogun bring this smug kid back down to reality

Jack3d
03-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Jones is delusional. I wanted Shogun to win this fight. I hope he completely and utterly annihilates this idiot in the first round now

Jack3d
03-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Kirby;10257162']Yes, he is exactly like Alistair Overeem back in Pride.

No he's not.

He's implying his striking is equal to Overeem's. It's not. Not even close

He said he had better BJJ. He doesn't. Overeem won the ADCC European Qualifiers. What has Jones done? He subbed Jake Obriend and Bader. LOLZ

He said he's stronger. Even Overeem at 205 is stronger than Jones.

He said he's taller. He's not

All he has is wrestling and reach and being Overeem is light years beyond him in striking, it doesn't mean jack *****.

MindBat
03-19-2011, 08:46 PM
hope to see shogun bring this smug kid back down to reality

Jones is simply projecting confidence. He was practically thrust into the spotlight when they offered him the fight on the spot on live TV.

If he had punked out, the crowd and fans would've pussified him.

He's got a big task ahead of him. That of dethroning the LHW king.
He's going to need all the confidence he can muster.

Dorian
03-19-2011, 09:13 PM

They won't let him compete in Dream or K1 which is why he shouldn't resign with the UFC after the HW tournament is over and fight overseas.

If he goes to the UFC it will be a waste, they fight once or twice per year MAX over there, Overeem had 8 fights in 1 year that's why he's always in shape and ripped unlike Brock who is 300 pounds of fat and cuts to 265 once/twice per year.

Clegg
03-19-2011, 09:37 PM
All he seems to be saying is that he's better now than Overeem was then.

Considering that a lot of posters here often say that Overeem's losses were mostly down to cutting so much weight that he wasn't that effective at 205, I don't think there's anything wrong with Jones' comments.

I do think he's wrong about having better BJJ than Overeem though, whether he means the 205 version or the heavyweight version. IIRC, I think Overeem has more submission wins than Jones has fights.