View Full Version : Johnson-Jeffries 2?

JAB5239
03-18-2011, 05:43 PM
This was put up on another forum by an excellent (McGrain) but part time poster here. What are your thoughts?

Jim Jeffries:"I may fight Johnson again and within six months. There are reasons why I should want a return fight and I am considering them carefully. I may be prepared to make a definite statement very soon.

Until today I have had no desire to talk of my plans for the future. But I would be foolish to deny that I have not considered another meeting with Johnson or to deny that I would like a chance to redeem myself.

I may fight again. I will admit I have discussed another fight with Berger and my brother Jack. Whilst another fight is more of a possibility than a probability you can say I am thinking hard and may have something to say very soon."

Sam Berger: "Jeffries and I agree that had he entered the ring three months earlier...he would have had a better chance to win. The long training grind and the mental strain proved to much for him. Personally, I can't admit Johnson's superiority. There is only one way to justify my opinion. Another fight."

Jim Jeffries: "Every man makes mistakes and I know I made mine in working to long and to hard as Sam has just said. No-one knows the mental strain of the last three months better than me. I never knew what worry was before."

Tex Rickard: "I am not surprised. Everyone in touch with actual conditions in Reno knows that Jeffries did not fight the fight his training stunts showed him capable of a few days earlier. I think another fight between Jeffries and Johnson would be nearly as big a draw as the first, and I don't think for a moment it would necessarily be a walkaway."

Seattle Star, July 09 1910.

Jim Jeffries
03-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Jeffries would've done better in a rematch without the 6 year layoff and drastic weight loss, but would still have lost. First I've heard that one was considered though.

JAB5239
03-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Jeffries would've done better in a rematch without the 6 year layoff and drastic weight loss, but would still have lost. First I've heard that one was considered though.

Me too.

I think he might do better early but he would still be overtaken and outclassed in the later rounds. After 6 years it simply isn't the same fighter and Johnson was arguably always better than Jeff.

Jim Jeffries
03-18-2011, 06:04 PM
[/B]

Me too.

I think he might do better early but he would still be overtaken and outclassed in the later rounds. After 6 years it simply isn't the same fighter and Johnson was arguably always better than Jeff.

Well Johnson was certainly dramatically better defensively and I can't see an old Jeffries landing much of consequence, no matter what the preparation. Prime for prime, I think it'd be interesting, to say the least. From the fight they had, you can't determine anything, kind of like Roy Jones Jr vs Calzaghe.

JAB5239
03-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Well Johnson was certainly dramatically better defensively and I can't see an old Jeffries landing much of consequence, no matter what the preparation. Prime for prime, I think it'd be interesting, to say the least. From the fight they had, you can't determine anything, kind of like Roy Jones Jr vs Calzaghe.

I agree with this. I think there will be opinions that would favor either fighter prime for prime though.

Jim Jeffries
03-18-2011, 06:14 PM
I agree with this. I think there will be opinions that would favor either fighter prime for prime though.

Well my money is on Roy and Jeffries, though I might be a little biased with the latter pick.:D

boxersk
03-18-2011, 06:27 PM
A second fight would of been great for boxing, it would of been interesting to see what would happen if Jeffries won the first fight though.

Walking in a Hatton wonderland..

Scott9945
03-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Sounds like a case of a fight being so successful that promoters wanted to tap it again. A rematch would have been considerably less successful with Jeffries no longer unbeaten and the "hope" greatly faded. Kinda reminds me of the Mayweather-DLH rematch we almost got stuck with. It made a fortune but it is questionable how many fans wanted to see that again.

Barn
03-18-2011, 07:13 PM
I agree I believe Jeffries would win Prime for Prime but, at that stage Johnson was winning on any terms.

Chief2ndzOnly!
03-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Now you know I'm gonna go with The Galveston Giant.

Barn
03-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Now you know I'm gonna go with The Galveston Giant.
No doubt :)