View Full Version : Fights that made you greatly respect the losing boxer

Toney616
03-18-2011, 10:33 AM
For example:
Eubank-Thompson fights:
Eubank fought his heart out in those fights and even though he lost them they have to be two of my fav Eubank fights. He showed tremendous heart and will in those fights
Arguello-Pryor:
Arguello took a bad beating in those fights, never quit and fought to the end. Never made up any silly stories to explain away his loss like some other fighters have done

bklynboy
03-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Cotto v Margarito.

I never really liked Cotto before hand and was rooting big time for Margs. I replayed the fight in the days following the event and each time I saw it my respect for Cotto went up.

Barn
03-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Ali vs Frazier I
Frazier vs Ali 3
Hearns vs Hagler
Leonard vs Duran I(then it was lost after Hagler fight lol)
Gatti vs Ward I
Basilio vs Robinson 2

SCtrojansbaby
03-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Castillo vs Mayweather I and II. I had the first fight as a draw and I thought Mayweather only won the 2nd fight by 1 round

Scott9945
03-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Lewis-Klitschko

Jim Jeffries
03-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Hagler/Duran.

GJC
03-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Zale v Cerdan

RubenSonny
03-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Sanchez-Nelson, wasn't alive at the time but I've seen it a billion times and Nelsons performance commands respect from everyone.

ny123
03-18-2011, 03:41 PM
I thought Malignaggi was a punk before the Cotto fight but after he went on with a broken orbital bone in his face and never stopped trying i had to admit Paulie fought like a warrior. Abner Mares is another guy who i thought was a protected hype job but after watching him and Perez i gained a lot of respect for him.

IronDanHamza
03-18-2011, 03:49 PM
The way Arugello was weeping after the Pryor loss was really difficult to watch. Considering he was my favourite fighter and he gave it his absolute all.

You could tell he felt as if he let everyone down becaue he couldn't beat an ATG in his natural weight class whilst he was in his 4th weight class.

He gave a warriors performance and his absolute all, he deserves so much respect for that loss.

Bronsky
03-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Katsidis fights, you can't hate on the guy, he's humble and a warrior. You just have to respect him.

Scott9945
03-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Katsidis fights, you can't hate on the guy, he's humble and a warrior. You just have to respect him.

That's the funniest avatar I've seen in a long time. :lol1:

gamefrk
03-18-2011, 05:53 PM
just saw holyfield vs bowe 1, thats the only holyfield fight i've seen :p ....man does holyfield have heart....tonnes of respect, amazing 10th round in that fight- back n forth action- clean punches landing after the bell etc :D

@pito: real gud avatar lol :D

Thread Stealer
03-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Razor Ruddock in the 2nd Mike Tyson fight.

Zeijko Mavrovic against Lennox Lewis.

studentofthegam
03-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Hagler/Leonard
Hagler/Hearns
Leonard/Hearns 1
Holyfield/Bowe 1&2

gcgc
03-18-2011, 06:39 PM
marquez vs paqiao 1 & 2 make me respect juan he never quit.

Gojira
03-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Cotto against Pacman. Before the fight i was sure this wouldn't go 6 rounds because of Cotto's lack of heart and pride but he proved me wrong and took a tremendous beating, never giving up.

Barn
03-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Hagler/Leonard
Hagler/Hearns
Leonard/Hearns 1
Holyfield/Bowe 1&2

Interesting choice, I thought most people thought the contrary as Hagler was very bitter.

Bronsky
03-19-2011, 05:45 AM
@gamefrk and scott "that's what happens man that's what happens"

SweetSciencePHD
03-19-2011, 06:14 AM
Pacquiao-Cotto, The way Cotto hung in there doing all he could, using every bit of his heart and knowledge in the ring to last as long as possible and to fight with all he had really proved to me that he was legit tough.

Mosley-Margarito and Pacquiao-Margarito. In each instance Maragarito fought with so much heart, giving his all to try and weather the storm I just had to respect him for that.

The Surgeon
03-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Carl Froch against Kessler, his stock went up in my eyes after that loss.

Katsidis is such a gutsy warrior, gracious in defeat and humble in victory.

Margarito deserves respect for plodding into the meatgrinder against Manny when defeat seemed the only outcome but i just caint give the man an ounce of it, not after being caught with those wraps he shouldnt have even been in there.

Matthew Macklin really got my respect after he went to war in a losing effort against Jamie Moore but to be honest ive since gone off him

$BloodyNate$
03-19-2011, 06:59 AM
Marquez vs Pacman fights. I honestly don't know where Pac fans get the balls to reject a 3rd round fight or talk smack about him being "2 big now" when Marquez gave him the biggest beating he's ever took in his life. I think that just made Marquez better anyway.

Any of the fights in the Barrera-Morales, Vasquez-Marquez, Gatti-Ward trilogies.

Johnson vs Dawson 1. DAMN DAMN good fight!

IronDanHamza
03-19-2011, 07:19 AM
Interesting choice, I thought most people thought the contrary as Hagler was very bitter.

Change that to everyone.

And your absolutely right.

studentofthegam
03-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Interesting choice, I thought most people thought the contrary as Hagler was very bitter.I look at it like this. Hagler was the ugly sister at that point. Leonard had all the extras. The fact that I thought Hagler won made me a fan for life. He should have been bitter because even SRL's wife told him he lost.

Barn
03-19-2011, 08:00 AM
I look at it like this. Hagler was the ugly sister at that point. Leonard had all the extras. The fact that I thought Hagler won made me a fan for life. He should have been bitter because even SRL's wife told him he lost.
I think exactly the same way but, I always thought I was the only one :lol1:

I would have reacted the exact same way.

Sam Donald
03-19-2011, 10:55 AM
recent times maidana vs khan

CarlosG815
03-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Ray Mancini in his fight with Arguello.

Recently Yuri Foreman in his fight with Cotto.

Barn
03-19-2011, 12:01 PM

Good pick. The fight should have been stopped ealier by that stupid cunt. Arthur Mercante Jr.

studentofthegam
03-19-2011, 12:48 PM
I think exactly the same way but, I always thought I was the only one :lol1:

I would have reacted the exact same way.Oh. You were testing my dedication. LOL. If it makes it any better I think I suffer from write to much sh*t syndrome too.

The Surgeon
03-19-2011, 01:09 PM

Foreman made me a slight fan after that but then blew it by bailing out in his next fight.

I think Merchante did a good job, top ref

cja07007
03-19-2011, 01:22 PM
I thought Malignaggi was a punk before the Cotto fight but after he went on with a broken orbital bone in his face and never stopped trying i had to admit Paulie fought like a warrior. Abner Mares is another guy who i thought was a protected hype job but after watching him and Perez i gained a lot of respect for him.

I was going to say this as well about Paulie and he did the same against hatton and Amir he does have a huge heart esspecailly for a guy who fights like he does. Also When RJJ beat up Vinny Paz. Made me watch the rest of paz's earlier fights because he was a worrior even when he was getting beating down on. The ref had to hold him down at the end of the Jones fight.

CarlosG815
03-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Foreman made me a slight fan after that but then blew it by bailing out in his next fight.

I think Merchante did a good job, top ref

He was taking a one sided beatdown. He had no chance, I'm happy he just quit and got it over with.

The Surgeon
03-19-2011, 04:20 PM
He was taking a one sided beatdown. He had no chance, I'm happy he just quit and got it over with.

Oh for sure he fighting a losing battle, didnt even have a punchers chance but i like a top fighter to play it to the bone. He pretty much won fans for his guts againt Migs, not his boxing. Then he undid all that at least in my eyes vs the Pole

Joeyzagz
03-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Fitzsimmons/Jeffries
Froch/Kessler

GeneroEdits
03-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Basilio vs Robinson II

Nobody is as tough as Carmen!
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/4b7f40a316306e64_large

IronDanHamza
03-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Carl Froch against Kessler, his stock went up in my eyes after that loss.

Katsidis is such a gutsy warrior, gracious in defeat and humble in victory.

Margarito deserves respect for plodding into the meatgrinder against Manny when defeat seemed the only outcome but i just caint give the man an ounce of it, not after being caught with those wraps he shouldnt have even been in there.

Matthew Macklin really got my respect after he went to war in a losing effort against Jamie Moore but to be honest ive since gone off him

I thought Froch was being a bit of an idiot after that fight to be honest. Yeah he showed heart and guts and what not but he was acting like he clearly should have won when to be honest it was quite clear he lost. It was close but clear IMO.

Frustrated me abit that he was acting like he was robbed, especially considering his fight with Dirrell.

Ziggy Stardust
03-19-2011, 07:51 PM
I thought Froch was being a bit of an idiot after that fight to be honest. Yeah he showed heart and guts and what not but he was acting like he clearly should have won when to be honest it was quite clear he lost. It was close but clear IMO.

Frustrated me abit that he was acting like he was robbed, especially considering his fight with Dirrell.

In the aftermath Froch admitted he needed home cooking judges to win decisions. The irony was so think you cut it with a knife, even moreso since he was so clueless as to import of what he had actually said :hah9:

Poet

BigStereotype
03-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Robinson-Basilio II
Chavez-Taylor I
Duran-Leonard I
Marquez-Vazquez (all of them)
Barrera-Morales I, III (Morales in both cases...)
Ali-Frazier I and III
Cotto-Margarito

Scott9945
03-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Oh for sure he fighting a losing battle, didnt even have a punchers chance but i like a top fighter to play it to the bone. He pretty much won fans for his guts againt Migs, not his boxing. Then he undid all that at least in my eyes vs the Pole

I think that Yuri's days as a title contender are over. He'll soon be a safe test for younger prospects.

The Surgeon
03-20-2011, 06:58 AM

At the time i thought it was a bit classless, And thought he should have gave Kessler the credit (i had Kessler a point mabey two up) But Carl was just being his honest self, he really believed he had it won i feel and i tell u what i rewatched a while ago and im pretty sure i scored it a draw.

But to be honest i was really meaning his stock went up as a "fighter", hadnt really rated him too much prior and thought MK would stop him. He went Much further in my estimations after outclassing Abraham

The Surgeon
03-20-2011, 07:03 AM
I think that Yuri's days as a title contender are over. He'll soon be a safe test for younger prospects.

He was a weak champion, Cotto beat him coming off a devastating loss and moving up into the division for the first time. And he looks worse off now, i can see quite a few guys in that division beating him at this point

Egile
03-28-2011, 10:46 AM
For example:
Eubank-Thompson fights:
Eubank fought his heart out in those fights and even though he lost them they have to be two of my fav Eubank fights. He showed tremendous heart and will in those fights
Arguello-Pryor:
Arguello took a bad beating in those fights, never quit and fought to the end. Never made up any silly stories to explain away his loss like some other fighters have done

Hi,
I want to share a wonderful fight of Muhammad Ali a big name in the field of boxing....
His practice in boxing was really impressive and also teach to respect the loser...

Toney616
03-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Hi,
I want to share a wonderful fight of Muhammad Ali a big name in the field of boxing....
His practice in boxing was really impressive and also teach to respect the loser...
What Ali fight to do have in mind?

The Surgeon
03-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Danny Williams against Vitali Klitchko, he took an immensley one sided ass whoopin and kept coming

Vitali Klitchko got my respect himself against Lewis after goin toe to toe and wanting to continue despite his face hanging off

Joe Frazier in The Thrilla in Manilla, obviously i missed Joe's career but this was the first fight of his i saw and i loved his guts and heart

$Full Clip$
03-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Sergio Martinez vs Paul Williams. I honestly though tWilliams would spark him out in 6 or 7 in that 1st fight.

Cotto vs Mosley. I really though the best of Mosley was behind him yet he still put Cotto through a damn good test.

Mayorga vs Mosley. I know Mayorga talks a lot of sh*t but is exciting to watch. Couldn't help for respect him because he gave Mosley a much harder fight then expected. Mosley needed that last 2nd KO to seal the deal.

JK1700
04-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Paulie Malignaggi against Miguel Cotto - He showed tremendous heart, I saw him as abit of a punk before I watched that fight. I gained alot of respect for him while watching it and look at him differently now.

Rosendo Alvarez against Ricardo Lopez - Lopez basically dominated all but 3 opponents. Only Alvarez, Grigsby and Guardia were even competitive with him. Even though the latter two only managed it for a few rounds. Alvarez gave Lopez the two toughest fights of his career, he showed incredible toughness in the 2nd fight where he walked through tons of punches in order to get close and win rounds. He fought for several more years after Lopez and was the Ring Magazine 108lb champ at one point, but he was never really the same after the Lopez fights. He was incredibly tough but also very skilled and smart.

The_Demon
04-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Cant think of a better example than last night,its not that i didnt respect Morales anyway and its not as if he caught a beatdown yesterday,but last night was incredible

BigStereotype
04-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Cant think of a better example than last night,its not that i didnt respect Morales anyway and its not as if he caught a beatdown yesterday,but last night was incredible

Co-sign on that! Although I thought Morales won it...even more unbelievable. That was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.

The_Demon
04-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Co-sign on that! Although I thought Morales won it...even more unbelievable. That was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.

I had it even,i really couldnt believe what i was watching had too pinch myself too make sure i was still awake

BigStereotype
04-10-2011, 11:03 PM
I had it even,i really couldnt believe what i was watching had too pinch myself too make sure i was still awake

To be honest, I didn't score it last night. 1. I didn't think there was a point going in and 2. I was watching it as a Morales fan rather than an impartial observer. I'll get around to scoring it eventually...so I can ***** about El Terrible getting robbed.

The_Demon
04-10-2011, 11:09 PM
To be honest, I didn't score it last night. 1. I didn't think there was a point going in and 2. I was watching it as a Morales fan rather than an impartial observer. I'll get around to scoring it eventually...so I can ***** about El Terrible getting robbed.

It has been repeated about 3 times on sky sports over here today so i scored it earlier on,i wouldnt have been able too last night,i was in a state of shock

BigStereotype
04-10-2011, 11:19 PM
It has been repeated about 3 times on sky sports over here today so i scored it earlier on,i wouldnt have been able too last night,i was in a state of shock

lmao me too man I was in my room, by myself chanting with the crowd after I got over the initial shock. My neighbors must think I'm nuts. A kid by himself shouting "Mexico! Mexico!" At the top of his lungs...oh well. I don't even care.

The_Demon
04-10-2011, 11:46 PM
lmao me too man I was in my room, by myself chanting with the crowd after I got over the initial shock. My neighbors must think I'm nuts. A kid by himself shouting "Mexico! Mexico!" At the top of his lungs...oh well. I don't even care.

Thats what boxings all about man,i was sober last night for once but i get such a buzz watching boxing i felt totally wired,must have been 7am by the time i got too sleep,no other sport could do that too me

Toney616
04-11-2011, 06:58 AM
I haven't watched it yet, but I will definitely watch it later on today
Morales is the man

Monkz
04-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Cotto-Malignaggi
Bowe-Holyfield
Pacquiao-Margarito
Robinson-Basilio
Barrera-Morales

There are others I could name but chances are I already had respect for that fighter before they lost the fight, e.g. Gatti-Ward, Robinson-LaMotta.

BritishBoxing92
04-15-2011, 09:10 AM
my pick would be..

Foreman-Holyfield (man was foremans face busted up and he took tremendous punishment yet still managed to not get KOd or stopped by holyfield and showed heart)

Malignaggi-Cotto (fight could have been stopped but malignaggi continued to fight despite a broken jaw)

Vazquez-Marquez Fights (both fighters when one of them were losing showed determination even though Vazquez had to retire in one of his fights against marques due to a broken nose where he could barely breath is understandable)

Maidana-Morales (morales showed heart and did not quit due to the fact that one of his eyes started swelling after the first round)

Holyfield-Bowe I & III (holyfield showed his warrior spirit and never gave in against bowes on coming arsenal of lethal jabs, upper cuts and body punches)

Chuck Wepner-Sonny Liston (Chuck gave it his all due to the fact that a twilight liston caused a massive cut on top of chucks face above his eye where it was required to have massive amount of stitches.)

Mando Ramos-Sugar Ramos (enough said both were never same after that fight)

V.Klitschko-Lennox Lewis (Vitali never gave in and decided to fight on but doctor had to stop the fight even though he was ahead on points)

Frazier Vs Ali I & III (Frazier one once and broke alis jaw in the first fight and ali messed frazier in the third the most)