View Full Version : Most underrated fight ever

SCtrojansbaby
03-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Top 20 fight of the last 30 years IMO

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LgnRCHdldIs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The_Demon
03-17-2011, 08:24 AM
You are serious?

SCtrojansbaby
03-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Yes, neither guy is a "great" fighter so it didn't get anywhere near the amount of credit it deserved but in 10 years people will be looking back on it as a classic.

The_Demon
03-17-2011, 09:11 AM
It was a good high tempo scrap,it wasnt a classic great fighters or not

New England
03-17-2011, 09:16 AM
there was a lot of contact
the last two or three rounds (especially the last round)
were classic rounds

froch is one of my favorite active fighters

but it didn't have the drama throughout the entirety of the fight to be a true classic that stands the test of time

now if kessler goes is in there in his prime and is able to put more of a hurt on froch early and maybe drop him
now that might have made for a classic

BigStereotype
03-19-2011, 09:00 PM
The last round was excellent, the rest of the fight was good. Certainly not top 20 of the last 30 years.

Let's see...

Vazquez-Marquez I, II, III
Barrera-Morales I, II, III
Duran-Leonard I
Hagler-Hearns
Chavez-Taylor
Cotto-Margarito
Cotto-Mosley
Mosley-De La Hoya
Gatti-Ward I, III
Bowe-Holyfield I, II
Marquez-Diaz I
Marquez-Barrera
Barrera-McKinney
Khan-Maidana

There. 20 fights that are easily better than Kessler-Froch. I can keep going, too, if you'd like.

DarkTerror88
03-19-2011, 09:09 PM
I don't see alot of people mentioning Qawi Holyfield in a lot of ATG fight lists so it gets my vote

u.b.r.
03-19-2011, 09:49 PM
This one is terribly underrated...
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3Pa9RQ2ctjQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4IZMoNk7kfc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1J8PmxUZQmw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZJR49i7dp7Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kevin Malone
03-19-2011, 09:50 PM
I will continue to spread the gospel of this fight even if my message is rejected

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fGmoZWC8Sy4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Scott9945
03-19-2011, 10:45 PM

<IFRAME title="YouTube video player" height=390 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LgnRCHdldIs" frameBorder=0 width=480 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

It wouldn't make my top 20. Probably not my top 50 actually. It was a good fight. Period.

winky's right
03-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Tua v Ibeabuchi!!!!!

cja07007
03-19-2011, 11:01 PM
The last round was excellent, the rest of the fight was good. Certainly not top 20 of the last 30 years.

Let's see...

Duran-Leonard I
Hagler-Hearns
Chavez-Taylor
Cotto-Margarito
Cotto-Mosley
Mosley-De La Hoya
Gatti-Ward I, III
Bowe-Holyfield I, II
Marquez-Diaz I
Marquez-Barrera
Barrera-McKinney
Khan-Maidana

There. 20 fights that are easily better than Kessler-Froch. I can keep going, too, if you'd like.

U go to Uconn? Ever go to the boxing club?

BigStereotype
03-20-2011, 02:21 AM
U go to Uconn? Ever go to the boxing club?

I did once this year. Honestly, I'm nowhere near in enough shape for it right now. I'm gonna run my winter-fat off and do it next year. Otherwise, I'm paying money to huff and puff my way through practice. If you got here and ever want to watch a fight, though, let me know.

bojangles1987
03-20-2011, 06:36 AM
Kessler-Froch was way too sloppy and not anywhere near in the top 20 fights of the last 30 years. Good fight, nothing classic.

SCtrojansbaby
03-20-2011, 06:48 AM
Yeah I probable exaggerated a bit, but I still think it is terrible underrated. Best fight of the last 2 years IMO

The Surgeon
03-20-2011, 06:50 AM
I thought it was brilliant but i cant make a case for top 20 man, theres just been too many fights that were that bit better. Still it was a good action fight, close as hell, the last round was a classic and the atmosphere looked out of this world.

IMO the most under rated fight is Jamie Moore vs Ryan Rhodes from their War of The Roses fight in 09 - CLASSIC :boxing:

bojangles1987
03-20-2011, 07:47 AM
Yeah I probable exaggerated a bit, but I still think it is terrible underrated. Best fight of the last 2 years IMO

Gotta disagree there. Burns-Martinez, Khan-Maidana, Marquez-Katsidis, Segura-Calderon, Escalante-Roman, enjoyed all of them more than Kessler-Froch. I still haven't even seen Soto-Antillon.

The Surgeon
03-20-2011, 08:15 AM
Gotta disagree there. Burns-Martinez, Khan-Maidana, Marquez-Katsidis, Segura-Calderon, Escalante-Roman, enjoyed all of them more than Kessler-Froch. I still haven't even seen Soto-Antillon. I have to say i prefer Froch vs Kessler to the fights u just listed

Havent got around to watching Soto vs Antillon yet either, might bang it on today actually!

SCtrojansbaby
03-20-2011, 10:57 AM
The only fight of the past 2 years I would even consider is Rios vs Acosta

Ziggy Stardust
03-20-2011, 12:46 PM

Let's see...

Duran-Leonard I
Hagler-Hearns
Chavez-Taylor
Cotto-Margarito
Cotto-Mosley
Mosley-De La Hoya
Gatti-Ward I, III
Bowe-Holyfield I, II
Marquez-Diaz I
Marquez-Barrera
Barrera-McKinney
Khan-Maidana

Most of those are generally regarded as truly great fights by anyone not mentally challenged. For an underrated great fight how about Ray Leonard Vs Wilfred Benitez as it seems to get overshadowed by the other Fab Four fights of the era?

Poet

Barn
03-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Most of those are generally regarded as truly great fights by anyone not mentally challenged. For an underrated great fight how about Ray Leonard Vs Wilfred Benitez as it seems to get overshadowed by the other Fab Four fights of the era?

Poet
Yeah good fight. The publics first exposure to the fact that Ray Leonard was a once in a lifetime fighter.

Ziggy Stardust
03-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Yeah good fight. The publics first exposure to the fact that Ray Leonard was a once in a lifetime fighter.

It was about as great a display of skills from both fighters as you're likely to see (unless you watch a film of Ray Robinson shadow boxing). Kind of a "thinking man's" great fight :boxing:

Poet

lightsout_finit
03-20-2011, 04:06 PM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LgnRCHdldIs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This fight isn't underrated.
I don't think iv heard/read anyone say it was a shi t fight.

but its not EVEN CLOSE to top 20 of the last 30 years.
its not even top 20 of the last 10 years

The Surgeon
03-20-2011, 04:09 PM
It was about as great a display of skills from both fighters as you're likely to see (unless you watch a film of Ray Robinson shadow boxing). Kind of a "thinking man's" great fight :boxing:

Poet

Classic high speed chess match

Vintage stuff

Vsec
03-20-2011, 04:58 PM
I think the Marquez vs. Pacquiao fights are underrated

The Surgeon
03-20-2011, 05:25 PM
I think the Marquez vs. Pacquiao fights are underrated

Id agree to a point, they are well know fights but remembered more for contraverey rather than the great action, fight two was one of my favourites.

Heres a fight that barely gets a mention and was a real classic - Clifford Ettine vs Lawrence Clay Bey

Corrales vs Castillio 2 was a cracker while it lasted but gets under rated because its so far behind their first epic. Plus the weight issue

Another under rated Chico fight is the Clottey one, top quality action.

BigStereotype
03-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Id agree to a point, they are well know fights but remembered more for contraverey rather than the great action, fight two was one of my favourites.

Heres a fight that barely gets a mention and was a real classic - Clifford Ettine vs Lawrence Clay Bey

Corrales vs Castillio 2 was a cracker while it lasted but gets under rated because its so far behind their first epic. Plus the weight issue

Another under rated Chico fight is the Clottey one, top quality action.

I like the Clottey-Corrales fight, but it's sad when you realize that he was like a month away from death at that point...and he gets his ass whooped.

chillifists
03-23-2011, 03:31 AM
Don't know about ever, but I feel Freitas-Barrios is a very underated fight.

Margarito-Cotto also.

BigStereotype
03-23-2011, 04:33 AM
Don't know about ever, but I feel Freitas-Barrios is a very underated fight.

Margarito-Cotto also.

I think everybody knows that Cotto-Margarito is the kind of fight that turns people into diehard boxing fans. That's pretty much the highest compliment I can give a fight.

Quarry
03-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Mike Tyson vs Trevor Berbick is very under rated fight

The Surgeon
03-23-2011, 04:21 PM
I like the Clottey-Corrales fight, but it's sad when you realize that he was like a month away from death at that point...and he gets his ass whooped.

Its a top fight but as a big Chico fan its sad. He loses for one, must realise he is too big for the lower weights and too small and shopworn for the bigger guys plus he goes off the rails and dies so soon after. Sad +***** but a good fight non the less

$BloodyNate$
03-23-2011, 04:28 PM
It wouldn't make my top 20. Probably not my top 50 actually. It was a good fight. Period.

Agreed, that fight was no where close to being a war. It was too technical. It was a good fight, but forgettable. Not even the best fight of the super 6. Froch-Abraham and Dirrell-Abraham where better.