View Full Version : Best past prime performances

RubenSonny
03-15-2011, 10:08 PM
E.g. Ali - Foreman, Duran - Castro, Hopkins - Tarver, Moore - Durelle etc.

RubenSonny
03-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Maybe a few words to outline the context if you can, also losing efforts count e.g. McCallum - Toney, Robinson - Basillio.

BigStereotype
03-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Carbajal vs. Arce...Carbajal took a real pounding against a fearsome young fighter and KTFO'd him in the 11th hour...sorry, that was lame. The 11th round.

joseph5620
03-15-2011, 10:30 PM
E.g. Ali - Foreman, Duran - Castro, Hopkins - Tarver, Moore - Durelle etc.

Hopkins-Pavlik

Hopkins-Pascal

Foreman-Cooney

Duran-Barkley

Duran-Moore

Nelson-Leija 3

Mosley-Margarito

SCtrojansbaby
03-16-2011, 03:59 AM
Vitali Klitschko vs Sam Peter

Shabba Rank$
03-16-2011, 04:26 AM
Hopkins - Pascal
Robinson - Basilio

The_Demon
03-16-2011, 05:10 AM
Eubank in his losing efforts too Thompson and Calzaghe

rsf
03-16-2011, 05:40 AM
larry holmes vs michael spinks II
larry holmes vs ray mercer

frazier and ali in the thrilla in manila

RubenSonny
03-22-2011, 06:56 PM
How could I forget, a partially blind shot version of Langford desposed of Flowers in 2.

Steak
03-22-2011, 07:00 PM
kind of an odd one, but I always found Rosario's destruction of Loreto Garza to be pretty outstanding, considering Garza was coming off of wins over Pazienza and Coggi.

goblin213
03-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Morales-Pacquiao 1
Hopkins-Pascal and Pavlik
Tiger-Benvenuti

New England
03-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Harry greb fought a good portion of his career (and he's a titan in the sport,) with a blind eye.
:cool2:
:boxing:

young_robbed
03-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Morrison-Rudduck
Quartey-Forrest
Forrest-Mora
Norris-Gonzales

Shaun Oliver
03-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Carbajal vs. Arce...Carbajal took a real pounding against a fearsome young fighter and KTFO'd him in the 11th hour...sorry, that was lame. The 11th round.

Good call. This is the first fight that came to mind when I read the title.

Obama
03-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Shouldn't count fights where the opponent was also past his prime...lot of that in here. Anyways Mosley - Margarito is my favorite one of recent years.

Steak
03-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Shouldn't count fights where the opponent was also past his prime...lot of that in here. Anyways Mosley - Margarito is my favorite one of recent years.

well you could call Margarito past prime as well.

Obama
03-22-2011, 08:54 PM

No you couldn't. Not then.

Wild Blue Yonda
03-22-2011, 08:55 PM

How so? I wonder if you're referring to his being weight-drained for the fight? It certainly appeared he was, looking a little weakened in the legs (which I believe contributed significantly to a good, but far from great, puncher in Mosley, cracking a supposedly iron set of whiskers so emphatically), but if you are, I wouldn't say that situation constitutes Margarito being past-prime, per se. More just under-done & not in top-shape, but still during his prime. After all, he'd just scored the career-defining win a few months previous.

Then again, maybe you're making reference to Margarito not having plaster in his gloves, if you're accusing him of having made a career out of that.

Mannie Phresh
03-22-2011, 08:58 PM
man b-hop has 2 primes and hes still in his second

Wild Blue Yonda
03-22-2011, 09:03 PM

I see the point you're making with your first line, but I don't ultimately agree. What if one guy was considered a little past his prime, but was much closer to it than his opponent, who was viewed as being at the end of the line, & perhaps coming up in weight, too, or facing some other additional adversity. Would that not be qualified as a great performance? I think it would.

Edit: How about a past-prime Evander Holyfield's performance in stopping a past-prime Mike Tyson, back in 1996 (to illustrate my point with a real-world instance)? I bet a lot of folkes would acknowledge Tyson's best days were behind him, but still recognise this as an outstanding performance from Holyfield.

SCtrojansbaby
03-22-2011, 09:50 PM
man b-hop has 2 primes and hes still in his second

I agree middle weight and 170+ B-hop are 2 different fighters. But Bernard is not in his 170+ prime anymore

chillifists
03-23-2011, 02:24 AM
Ali-Foreman
Morales-Pacquaio I
Mosley-Margarito
Hopkins-Pavlik

Barn
03-23-2011, 04:37 AM
Has Duran - Barkley been mentioned yet?
Hearns vs Hill
Hagler vs Mugabi

Steak
03-23-2011, 04:50 AM
No you couldn't. Not then.

How so? I wonder if you're referring to his being weight-drained for the fight? It certainly appeared he was, looking a little weakened in the legs (which I believe contributed significantly to a good, but far from great, puncher in Mosley, cracking a supposedly iron set of whiskers so emphatically), but if you are, I wouldn't say that situation constitutes Margarito being past-prime, per se. More just under-done & not in top-shape, but still during his prime. After all, he'd just scored the career-defining win a few months previous.

Then again, maybe you're making reference to Margarito not having plaster in his gloves, if you're accusing him of having made a career out of that.

I personally believe Margarito was already starting to go downhill leading up to the Cotto fight...just by what I saw. career defining win does not=prime automatically. Margarito even earlier than Cotto hit harder and had more leverage behind his shots. the Cotto fight he ws more plodding and used more arm punches than sitting down on them.

also there were rumors of Margarito getting beat up in sparring leading up to the Mosley fight, and hes looked like crap since...I think the Cotto fight was the last time we saw a quality Margarito.
but...thats my opinion.

Mosley cracking Margs chin is still a very impressive past prime performance.

F l i c k e r
03-23-2011, 05:03 AM
I really liked Foreman-Holyfield. :dunno:

The best? meh, but it's one that I liked.

Quarry
03-23-2011, 05:05 AM
Tyson beating Golota

bojangles1987
03-24-2011, 07:08 AM
Marquez against both Diaz and Katsidis. He pretty much only won these fights because of his skill as a counter puncher. He had no other physical advantage, other than punching power I guess.

Hagler-Mugabi as well.

House of Stone
03-24-2011, 08:54 AM
jones jnr v toney (just an awesome performance)

Joe Calzaghe v Jeff lacey (he delivered such a one sided beating that lacey was never the same again)

Ali v williams (ali at his best)

Ray leonard v tommy hearns 1 (two awesome fighters both in their prime and both putting in one of their best performances on the same night)

Pac v De la Hoya (just a totally dominant performance)

Floyd v Corrales (still Floyd's best performance imo)

Tyson v M Frazier (i dunno if anybody could have beaten mike on this night tyson himself said it was the best condition he reached in his whole career)

Jones jnr v Ruiz - okay not the most exciting fight but a boxing masterclass all the same

Foreman v Frazier 1 - Big George at his best

Joe Louis Max Schmelling 2 (Louis showing why he dominated for so long)

Ali v Floyd Patterson - Could have gone for the more obvious Liston fight but I think this one really showed how good he was. Ali toys with the former two time champ on his way to an easy win showing just how much better he was.

Marquez v Diaz - marquez was prolly a bit past his prime but if you havent seen it check it out

DonairesRevenge
03-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Past Prime Joe Calzaghe schooling Bernard Hopkins

RubenSonny
03-24-2011, 09:38 AM

Joe Calzaghe v Jeff lacey (he delivered such a one sided beating that lacey was never the same again)

Ray leonard v tommy hearns 1 (two awesome fighters both in their prime and both putting in one of their best performances on the same night)

Tyson v M Frazier (i dunno if anybody could have beaten mike on this night tyson himself said it was the best condition he reached in his whole career)

Jones jnr v Ruiz - okay not the most exciting fight but a boxing masterclass all the same

Ali v Floyd Patterson - Could have gone for the more obvious Liston fight but I think this one really showed how good he was. Ali toys with the former two time champ on his way to an easy win showing just how much better he was.

Marquez v Diaz - marquez was prolly a bit past his prime but if you havent seen it check it out

This is about great performances by past prime fighters, read some of the other posts.

IMDAZED
03-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Nelson-Fenech II
Nelson-Leija III
Nelson-Ruelas II
Nelson-Groves

RubenSonny
03-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Eddie Booker was partially blind (the result of doctored gloves) and at the end of his career when he took a rematch with Archie Moore (who he had drew with twice before) and knocked him out within 8 rounds.

New England
03-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Eddie Booker was partially blind and at the end of his career when he took a rematch with Archie Moore and knocked him out within 8 rounds.

my grammy was partially blind.... well... totally blind

she could cook a lasagna like you wouldn't believe. we're talking about food good enough to make you stop whatever you were doing and gorge.
blind as all get out, she'd cook that zag.
until the day she died

knocked me out of commission every time i ate it

BigStereotype
03-25-2011, 02:25 AM
my grammy was partially blind.... well... totally blind

she could cook a lasagna like you wouldn't believe. we're talking about food good enough to make you stop whatever you were doing and gorge.
blind as all get out, she'd cook that zag.
until the day she died

knocked me out of commission every time i ate it

This is a ridiculous post but I chuckled, not gonna lie.

$BloodyNate$
03-25-2011, 03:21 AM
Bernard Hopkins every fight after the 2nd Taylor fight. He's arguably undefeated after that fight! Should be 7-0 after he lost his middleweight title!

Destroy Tarver,beat Winky, robbed against Calzaghe, embarassed Pavlik, beat Erinque, beat Jones Jr, and put on one of the greatest comeback's in boxing history when he whooped Pascal's ass!

RubenSonny
03-25-2011, 03:27 AM
Bernard Hopkins every fight after the 2nd Taylor fight. He's arguably undefeated after that fight! Should be 7-0 after he lost his middleweight title!

Destroy Tarver,beat Winky, robbed against Calzaghe, embarassed Pavlik, beat Erinque, beat Jones Jr, and put on one of the greatest comeback's in boxing history when he whooped Pascal's ass!

Hes certainly extraordinary ,it still seems damn hard for anyone to get a convincing win over him, I don't know if I'd go as far as to say that he was robbed against Calzaghe, it was a close fight that I thought he won but a robbery? Don't think so.

Barreras win over Hamed is very overrated IMO.

CiganoBoxer
03-25-2011, 03:40 AM
Calzaghe v Lacy...no getting from it ...Joe was on fire that night :boxing:

RubenSonny
03-25-2011, 03:43 AM
Calzaghe v Lacy...no getting from it ...Joe was on fire that night :boxing:

I think that's seriously one of the most overrated wins of recent memory, being that Lacy was a pile of crap and one of the most overrated fighters to do nothing of recent memory.

Edit: My bad, I'm getting confused between my threads :lol1: not a bad choice.

chillifists
03-25-2011, 04:32 AM
Marquez against both Diaz and Katsidis. He pretty much only won these fights because of his skill as a counter puncher. He had no other physical advantage, other than punching power I guess.

Great pickup, Marquez is a great example.

Although Casamayor was getting there in age himself he was the Champion at the more comfortable weight who was a skilled tough fighter himself who was stopped for the first time.

CiganoBoxer
03-25-2011, 08:39 AM
I think that's seriously one of the most overrated wins of recent memory, being that Lacy was a pile of crap and one of the most overrated fighters to do nothing of recent memory.

Edit: My bad, I'm getting confused between my threads :lol1: not a bad choice.
Well that's not how the betting public had it state side...every bookie in the usa gave calzaghe more chance of surviving a firing squad than beating Lacy...in fact you only got to look at the old youtube videos or old boxing magazine articles at the time to see how highly regarded Lacy was before the Calzaghe loss !
Some respected boxing jernos in the usa called lacy a mini mike tyson :lol1:

RubenSonny
03-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Well that's not how the betting public had it state side...every bookie in the usa gave calzaghe more chance of surviving a firing squad than beating Lacy...in fact you only got to look at the old youtube videos or old boxing magazine articles at the time to see how highly regarded Lacy was before the Calzaghe loss !
Some respected boxing jernos in the usa called lacy a mini mike tyson :lol1:

Betting is not based on whos going to win, but the best money making option for the bookies, Lacy hadn't actually proved anything and didn't go on to do anything after, but anyway like I said I got confused between my overrated and underrated thread and this, check the edit of my post from yesterday.

CiganoBoxer
03-26-2011, 07:49 AM
like I said I got confused between my overrated and underrated thread and this, check the edit of my post from yesterday.
oop i think i did lol:Flush:

New England
03-29-2011, 09:08 AM
israel vasquez and rafael marquez were on their last legs when they had their first three fights

and those are some of the best fights ever
between two tremendous offensive fighters

Joeyzagz
03-29-2011, 02:10 PM
-Lennox Rahman II
-Lennox Vitali

Its a shame Lennox gets criticism for matches with Vitali/Rahman when he was at a considerable age disadvantage in both.

How many 36 year old men come back from a KO loss in such dramatic fashion?

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4687/rahman.gif

How many fighters can pummel the hell out of Vitali Klitschko period? Lennox did this past prime and gets no credit.

http://i47.tinypic.com/295e6xj.gif
http://i50.tinypic.com/15g4742.gif

e_boxer
03-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Morales -paquiao 1

Wild Blue Yonda
03-29-2011, 09:50 PM
-Lennox Rahman II
-Lennox Vitali

Its a shame Lennox gets criticism for matches with Vitali/Rahman when he was at a considerable age disadvantage in both.

How many 36 year old men come back from a KO loss in such dramatic fashion?

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4687/rahman.gif

How many fighters can pummel the hell out of Vitali Klitschko period? Lennox did this past prime and gets no credit.

http://i47.tinypic.com/295e6xj.gif
http://i50.tinypic.com/15g4742.gif

More spin-doctoring, I see.

Lewis at 36 >>> Lewis at 26. Not just my take, either. Lewis himself also thinks so, as did Steward.

Steak
03-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Lewis at 32>Lewis at 26 and 36.

Wild Blue Yonda
03-30-2011, 12:41 AM
Lewis at 32>Lewis at 26 and 36.

I would say Lewis never looked better than between 32 & 36 (1997-01). Certainly, to claim as Joey is that Lewis was at the same career stage as your average 36-year-old fighter is grossly misleading, & he knows that, as a fan.

bojangles1987
03-30-2011, 10:43 AM
I would say Lewis never looked better than between 32 & 36 (1997-01). Certainly, to claim as Joey is that Lewis was at the same career stage as your average 36-year-old fighter is grossly misleading, & he knows that, as a fan.

Lewis was better during that time period, but going into the Vitali fight he had certainly been on the decline. He had finally got the wins he wanted over Tyson and Holyfield, he wasn't sticking around much longer.

The_Demon
03-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Wasnt a great performance considering his opponent,but watching a shot Jones jnr toy with Lacy was pretty entertaining

Joeyzagz
04-01-2011, 08:46 PM
More spin-doctoring, I see.

Lewis at 36 >>> Lewis at 26. Not just my take, either. Lewis himself also thinks so, as did Steward.

Physically, Lennox was past-prime in 2001, he was not as swift as he was when he sparked Razor Ruddock in 2 rounds. The discrepancies in athleticism are obvious to anyone who watches the tapes..

If Lennox had turned pro in 1985(age 20) instead of waiting for 1989, we couldve witnessed a truly remarkable fighter. SRR type dominance at Heavyweight.

Wild Blue Yonda
04-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Physically, Lennox was past-prime in 2001, he was not as swift as he was when he sparked Razor Ruddock in 2 rounds. The discrepancies in athleticism are obvious to anyone who watches the tapes..

If Lennox had turned pro in 1985(age 20) instead of waiting for 1989, we couldve witnessed a truly remarkable fighter. SRR type dominance at Heavyweight.

Nice try, but isn't flying.

As we both know, fighting is more than just the physical, & taking all things into account, Lewis was a better overall fighter in 2001 than he was several years earlier, during what was likely his physical prime. Even Lewis agrees with me on this one, & the distinction in his quality as a boxer is just as clear as the physical discrepancy you have pointed out.

BennyST
04-03-2011, 12:05 AM

Are you being deliberately daft?

Anyway, Ray Leonard vs Hagler is a great one as is Leonard/Lalonde. Foreman vs Moorer is maybe the greatest feat along with a few others. Duran vs Castro and Barkley are both crackers considering the age, and size deficit.

I always thought Toney vs Jirov was an incredible performance as was Toney vs Peter 1, which I thought he quite easily/obviously won.

As a few have mentioned, Marquez's recent performances have been amazing, showing his skill but even more his grit, heart and determination against age and physical odds.

Marg/Mosley is another excellent example as are all of Hopkins fights now.

Morales against Pac is another of recent vintage. His only win in between a series of four or five losses in a row and having had a series of brutal encounters previously. A classic last hurrah.

There are so many, but I think the ones that really count are the ones like Foreman/Moorer, Duran/Barkley, Hopkins/Pavlik, Walcott/Charles etc. Those fights that were truly historic in their significance and mind blowing in their achievement.

Today, due to advances in sport medicine etc it's not so amazing for a fighter to still be in great physical condition in their late thirties. Back when those guys were doing, especially Walcott, Duran etc it was still considered crazy to be fighting at a championship level in your mid to late thirties. It was often thought they would be killed. Now, most fighters fight well into their late thirties without anyone batting an eye.

Early-mid forties is now what mid to late thirties used to mean. If you are fighting at the highest level in your forties, it's what people used to look at it like when someone was fighting for a title in your late thirties.

BennyST
04-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Lewis really only ever looked past it or old against Vitali. That was as much that he was going into a fight without training for it though thinking he had an easier fight than he ended up having against a different opponent.

I think he was mentally and physically unprepared for the Vitali fight, having climbed the mountains of Holyfield/Tyson etc. It was an extraordinary performance nonetheless, because in that fight in particular you could say he was past it. It was his last fight and he obviously didn't prepare very well for it at all and yet still managed to scrape out a grueling win vs the next best young champion.

I think it's a really solid past prime win. He wasn't truly as past it as many of the others on here were but I think having climbed the biggest hurdles and come in completely unprepared made it a greater performance through his own lack of preparation in a way.

Rockin'
04-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Steve Thomas vs Marlon Thomas about 1988-89.

Marlon was coming up out of Kronk strong and was like 9-0 so far. Steve was always inconsistant in his performances up to that time and had a record of like 7-5 or something.

Steve was up for this fight and fought a beautifull fight against Marlon. I'm not sure if there is video but if there is you should check it out. Steve could fight...............Rockin':boxing:

Joeyzagz
04-03-2011, 02:55 AM
As we both know, fighting is more than just the physical, & taking all things into account, Lewis was a better overall fighter in 2001

So if he is a better overall fighter, past physical prime what is your problem having him on this list?

Would he have to do, or fail to do to make this list?

BigStereotype
04-10-2011, 02:37 PM
ERIK MORALES vs. Maidana

I was so proud of him last night. Physically, he looked like **** but he made that fight close (and maybe won it) on pure balls...great performance by a legend.

bojangles1987
04-10-2011, 05:28 PM
ERIK MORALES vs. Maidana

I was so proud of him last night. Physically, he looked like **** but he made that fight close (and maybe won it) on pure balls...great performance by a legend.

Yeah. Coming here to post that. Holy hell.

IMDAZED
04-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Nice try, but isn't flying.

As we both know, fighting is more than just the physical, & taking all things into account, Lewis was a better overall fighter in 2001 than he was several years earlier, during what was likely his physical prime. Even Lewis agrees with me on this one, & the distinction in his quality as a boxer is just as clear as the physical discrepancy you have pointed out.

Lewis' prime was 1996-1998 IMO. He had it all then - still young enough to be a phenomenal athlete at that time, and seasoned as well.

joseph5620
04-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Lewis' prime was 1996-1998 IMO. He had it all then - still young enough to be a phenomenal athlete at that time, and seasoned as well.

I have to agree. I think Lewis peaked during the period when he blew away Golota and Briggs.

Jim Jeffries
04-11-2011, 11:03 PM

So just to be clear: Lewis was prime for the Ruddock fight and also when sparked by Oliver McCall in less than two rounds? Or was he past prime by then?

Odd how Lewis' prime was 2 or 3 years, yet people bring up a more than 12 year old fight to discredit Wladimir, while saying his legacy is shot if he loses to Haye. And just to be clear, Lewis was peak prime when he scraped by a 35 year old Mercer, who was coming off a loss to Holyfield? Well then Zags is right, SRR type dominance at HW.

I'd say off the top of my head, Ali over Foreman, Holmes over Mercer and Hopkins over Pavlik.

MRBOOMER
04-12-2011, 01:33 AM
Morales vs mandana

Holyfield vs bowe 3 or 2

ROSS CALIFORNIA
04-12-2011, 02:16 AM
I'm with Obama on Mosley vs Margarito in recent years. That was outstanding. Also, Tyson vs Spinks and Ali vs Williams come to mind.

Wild Blue Yonda
04-12-2011, 02:25 AM
I'm with Obama on Mosley vs Margarito in recent years. That was outstanding. Also, Tyson vs Spinks and Ali vs Williams come to mind.

I dont understand.

Vadrigar.
04-12-2011, 02:30 AM
I dont understand.

Boxers who performed well against past prime boxers, that's what he means.

Morales-Maidana BTW