View Full Version : Who has the best jab in boxing history?

danawod
03-11-2011, 02:32 AM
Alot of opionons in boxing are based on peoples subjective feelings. I.e. Whos the greastest fighter of all time. Which fighter has the biggest heart.

There will inevitably be different answers to these questions. But when it comes to which fighter has the best jab in history subjectivism is thrown out the window. This boxer has the best jab by a looooonnnnngggg shot.

10 pts for correct answer

Steak
03-11-2011, 02:44 AM
most will say Larry Holmes.

shout outs to Quartey, DLH, Buchanan, Hearns, Hagler, Pep, Ali and Loughran.

Rockin'
03-11-2011, 02:58 AM
Watching Thomas Hearns working a ring with his jab would be like watching Picasso work a canvas with pain and brush. Hearns had an incredible jab..........Rockin':boxing:

Shabba Rank$
03-11-2011, 03:44 AM
Larry Holmes, Marvin Hagler, DLH, and Hearns.

Ziggy Stardust
03-11-2011, 05:05 AM
Sonny Liston

The_Demon
03-11-2011, 05:14 AM
Quartey had an incredible jab

Vadrigar.
03-11-2011, 05:52 AM
Sonny Liston, Muhammad Ali, Larry Holmes.

GJC
03-11-2011, 07:28 AM
Loughran.

Good call on Loughran, doesn't get mentioned much but I can't think of a better jab.
Bob Foster's jab should be mentioned too.

IronDanHamza
03-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Sonny Liston

Quite stunned it took until post #5 until his name was mentioned.

Barn
03-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Quite stunned it took until post #5 until his name was mentioned.
I know thank god someone said it.

BigStereotype
03-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Larry Holmes

Then Sonny Liston, Ike Quartey, Thomas Hearns, Marco Antonio Barrera, Muhammad Ali
MAB might be an odd choice but he had an incredibly accurate, stiff jab and he knew exactly when to use it.

joseph5620
03-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Sonny Liston, Muhammad Ali, Larry Holmes.

I like those choices.

Psycho Paul
03-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Ike Quartey's jab was monstrous.

Akhi
03-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

them_apples
03-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Alot of opionons in boxing are based on peoples subjective feelings. I.e. Whos the greastest fighter of all time. Which fighter has the biggest heart.

There will inevitably be different answers to these questions. But when it comes to which fighter has the best jab in history subjectivism is thrown out the window. This boxer has the best jab by a looooonnnnngggg shot.

10 pts for correct answer

thomas Hearns, and Pernell whitaker

Shout out to Larry Holmes

Steak
03-11-2011, 04:02 PM
thomas Hearns, and Pernell whitaker

Shout out to Larry Holmes

oh damn, I cant believe I forgot Whitaker.

Ive always felt Liston's jab was a little bit overrated...all power, no placement. Good jab? absolutely. best of all time? thats a bit of a stretch. I cant think of a few fighters with better jabs than him.

mickey malone
03-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Ali Terrell.... Terrell takes more jabs than a junkies left arm.

I'm in favour of shouts for Holmes, Liston and Ali, but in recent memory the late Vernon Forrest caught my eye. He could reel off quality jabs like he was dealing out cards.

joseph5620
03-11-2011, 04:07 PM
oh damn, I cant believe I forgot Whitaker.

Ive always felt Liston's jab was a little bit overrated...all power, no placement. Good jab? absolutely. best of all time? thats a bit of a stretch. I cant think of a few fighters with better jabs than him.

I can't agree with that. As an old man he rearranged Chuck Wepners face with his jab alone.

Steak
03-11-2011, 04:11 PM
I can't agree with that. As an old man he rearranged Chuck Wepners face with his jab alone.
it was an exaggeration for the sake of sounding better. His jab lacked variety and wasnt the fastest, although it had a lot of weight behind it. sometimes was a little telegraphed. I can think of a few better fighters with snappier, better placed jabs.

Wepner wasnt exactly the hardest to hit.

joseph5620
03-11-2011, 04:19 PM
it was an exaggeration for the sake of sounding better. His jab lacked variety and wasnt the fastest, although it had a lot of weight behind it. sometimes was a little telegraphed. I can think of a few better fighters with snappier, better placed jabs.Wepner wasnt exactly the hardest to hit.

Yeah I agree with that. Foreman during his comeback had a very well timed accurate jab that was also heavy and damaging. He didn't seem to miss with it either which was amazing because it didn't look fast. Just very well timed.

I'm surprised nobody has acknowledged Wladimir Klitschko. His jab has power, accuracy, and he uses it as a primary weapon.

CarlosG815
03-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Some great pics so far. Not sure if anybody has mentioned Cotto yet but early on he had a very crisp and effective jab. It was his best punch when he was first starting out.

Joeyzagz
03-11-2011, 05:40 PM
C'mon guys...The best jab in boxing history is our very own JAB239!

There isnt a better moderator on these here forums.

Sonny Liston is a close second.

winky's right
03-11-2011, 10:38 PM
i said it once and i'll say it again. quartey has the best jab i've ever seen.

MRBOOMER
03-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Wille pep or sugar ray leonard

Scott9945
03-11-2011, 11:10 PM

And your username reminded me of Winky schooling Trinidad with ease using mostly his right jab.

The_Demon
03-12-2011, 06:31 AM

Outside of the heavyweights id say so too

The_Demon
03-12-2011, 06:32 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H_HwYguqgaQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Surgeon
03-12-2011, 09:10 AM
most will say Larry Holmes.

shout outs to Quartey, DLH, Buchanan, Hearns, Hagler, Pep, Ali and Loughran.

And for good reason, Larry had the best jab in the buisness hands down as far as im concerend

Ike had a pole of a left and also id like to mention the very very average Kevin Johnson, his jab is top drawer

The Surgeon
03-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Some great pics so far. Not sure if anybody has mentioned Cotto yet but early on he had a very crisp and effective jab. It was his best punch when he was first starting out.

Was gonna mention Miguel actually but didnt wanna look like a nuthugger lol

For a short guy its a great jab, he uses it as it should be used as a weapon and not just a range finder. Shoots it out just when u dont expect it as well, kinda like another great jabber Barrera

Kiddoe
03-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Not sure about all time, but in the past 20 years since I've been watching I'd say Ike Quartey.

cja07007
03-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Ive have been watching a lot of Gilberto Roman lately because he was brought up in one of these threads and I got to say he has one of the best jabs Ive ever seen. Also you got to say Holmes but that's the easy answer but still a good one hahah.

Marchegiano
03-20-2011, 11:35 AM
I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Buster Douglas. At least in the Tyson fight was ****ing on point. I remeber that fight soooo easily....bam bam bam bam I couldn't even count them....I was a kid when it aired, and havn't tried since, but still...impressive at least honorable mention.