View Full Version : How Do You Train?

The Italian Stallion
12-16-2004, 10:53 PM
The title explains it all.

I do 100 sit-ups, 30 push ups, 110 pounds on the bench press with 12 reps, yoga, 130 on the leg press, shadow boxing, i make the peanut bag sound like a machine gun, I spar a little, I let it out on a punching bag, and i try to run two miles a day. I plan on joining the "Hard Knocks" boxing gym in Phoenix really soon so i can expand on my skills.

I eat no junk food.

spinksjinx
12-17-2004, 07:31 AM
My day usually consists of

MEDICINE BALL WARMUP
Shoulder/Core Prep
Hold a 10-lb ball with both hands, arms extended in front of you, and move it in 10 large clockwise circles. Then move it in 10 counterclockwise circles. Raise the ball above your head and repeat.
Medicine Ball Squat
Hold the ball behind your head with both hands and squat. Two sets of 20
Medicine Ball Calf Raise
Hold the ball behind your head and go up on tiptoe. Two sets of 20

PILATES-20 MINUTES

SPEED AND ENDURANCE
6-uphill sprints up and run backwards downhill on 6 different hills to give me a different incline for each one.

Rubber Ball Hand-Speed Drill
Stand in the middle of a large, open room. Bounce a small superball on the floor and catch it on the first bounce. Repeat, but bounce it a little farther away or a little softer, so you have to move even quicker to catch it. Keep varying bounces. Five minutes

3 rounds Jump Rope
3 rounds heavy bag
3 rounds shadow boxing
3 1 minute rounds of punch out drills
1 minute round of speedbag to cool down

Abdominal Work
30x4 crunches
30x4 bicycle crunches
30x4 Standing Twists

3-6 Rounds of sparring every or every other day.

ballast
12-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Itallion Stallion-You should check out Iron Gloves boxing gym in Tempe.I have been hearing lots of good things about them.
BTW-I thought the Hard Knocks gym closed down.Or did they just move?Last I knew, they were on Cave Creek Road.

boxer2k5
12-17-2004, 01:52 PM
mines depends on what the trainers tell us to do

but the warmups everyday are the same

full body stretches

100 arm rotations forward then 100 backwards with arms extended to your side then arms exstended to the front then arms extended in the air

100 jumping jacks
100 calf raises
100 belly slaps
50 each side toe touches
100 squats

25 pushups normal
25 with our legs on our partner shoulder
and 25(noone can do 25 yet)upside down

we do other stuff liek medicine ball workouts and other **** thats random

then we spar or work the bags hit the mitts

i jumprope for 5 roudns everyday as well
and run int eh mournings when im nto too tired

abdiel2k3
12-17-2004, 02:08 PM
nice to see more people from Az on the board

The Italian Stallion
12-17-2004, 09:20 PM
Itallion Stallion-You should check out Iron Gloves boxing gym in Tempe.I have been hearing lots of good things about them.
BTW-I thought the Hard Knocks gym closed down.Or did they just move?Last I knew, they were on Cave Creek Road.
I don't know if it did or didn't but i haven't seen it around for a while so it prolly did. Do you have any recommendations of gyms that are close to Scottsdale?

Hunna
12-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Depends for the length of time in bout , and whether it is amatuer or professional. I mean, theres no point in doing 10 x 3 min sparring, skip 5rounds and 5 rounds on bag.... if you are doing 4 x 2min amatuer bout. title bouts would require intense workouts!

ballast
12-19-2004, 03:11 PM
I don't know if it did or didn't but i haven't seen it around for a while so it prolly did. Do you have any recommendations of gyms that are close to Scottsdale?

Yeah, I was told it had, which is surprising because it was a nice, well-equiped gym.Not many people, but I usually went in late morning, not afternoon.Prime time is usually late afternoon/early evening.

I moved back to Michigan, and aside from a few weeks during New Year's, I don't get back much.I have no idea what gyms are out there now.I trained at Hard Knock's for a bit, and was looking into the Madison Garden gym before we moved back.I had heard there was a really good coach out Scottsdale way though.Look here:

http://www.boxinghelp.com/arizona.html

An aquaintance of mine fights pro out of Phoenix, I'll ask him if he can recommend a good gym.

BoxingPromoter
12-19-2004, 03:53 PM
My training routine:

1) Get up at 6 am and watch the training scenes in Rocky IV.

2) Drink raw eggs

3) Go to boxingscene.com and chat for an hour

4) Punch the heavy bag for 15 minutes

5) Look at pictures of hot naked senoritas, and tell myself if I don't get in shape I'll never get one

6) Go to work 9-5(I'm an accountant)and daydream I'm Ali or Tyson

7) Come home, eat diner, and drink 3-4 Guinesses

8) Watch boxing on television or downloads on computer

9) Go to sleep and do it all over again! :mad:

Boxer2005
12-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Are there any good boxing gyms in NYC?

Boxer2005
12-21-2004, 02:07 PM
BTW..I like the name The Italian Stallion...should have thought of that.

boxer2k5
12-21-2004, 03:51 PM
Are there any good boxing gyms in NYC?

uhhh gleasons
and hey you stole my name sucka

lets fight at gleasons for boxer 2005 2k5

The Italian Stallion
12-23-2004, 08:08 PM
BTW..I like the name The Italian Stallion...should have thought of that.
If you like my name change your name to The Master of Disaster. Just like Apollo Creed, Rocky's arch nemisis then best friend.

hambone
12-28-2004, 05:15 PM
eat good and train good. alle those above mentioned exercizes are great. Swimming (spints and long distance) does wonders as well. Full boy worksouts with medicine ball (with twisting) ist important.

Floydmayweather
01-22-2005, 03:26 AM
Right now my workout looks like this

Morning Lift 3-4 exercises mostly for explosivness and power. (Push-press, squats, deadlifts ETC)
Then for abs i do 100 crunches, 2 sets of 25 reps reverse crucnhes, 100 side crunches, (for variation i pull my front leg back further to hit my intercostal muscles, then i finsih up with 3 sets of medicine ball twists.

Cardio Run 2 miles(interval runs) Body bag/speed bag work i go back and fourth with that so i can try and maintain and gain speed even when im really tired. Then i jump heavy rope and regualar jump rope. I also do alot of handpad work and shadow boxing.

jayrichardse
01-30-2005, 11:50 PM
start off by running

spinksjinx
01-31-2005, 07:28 AM
Monday
Incline hill sprints-4

MEDICINE BALL WARMUP
Shoulder/Core Prep
Hold a 10-lb ball with both hands, arms extended in front of you, and move it in 10 large clockwise circles. Then move it in 10 counterclockwise circles. Raise the ball above your head and repeat.
Medicine Ball Squat
Medicine Ball Calf Raise
50 medicine ball throws each arm

Stand in the middle of a large, open room. Bounce a small superball on the floor and catch it on the first bounce. Repeat, but bounce it a little farther away or a little softer, so you have to move even quicker to catch it. Keep varying bounces. Five minutes

3x3 minute rounds heavy bag/jump rope

1 minute cool down speed bag

50 medicine ball throws-each arm
Abdominal exercises
Calisthenics

Tuesday
3 mile run
MEDICINE BALL WARMUP
Shoulder/Core Prep
Medicine Ball Squat
Medicine Ball Calf Raise

3x3 minute rounds shadowbox/jump rope

Abdominal exercises
Calisthenics

Wednesday
Incline hill sprints
MEDICINE BALL WARMUP
Shoulder/Core Prep
Medicine Ball Squat
Medicine Ball Calf Raise

Abdominal exercises
Calisthenics

Thursday
3 mile run
MEDICINE BALL WARMUP
Shoulder/Core Prep
Medicine Ball Squat
Medicine Ball Calf Raise

Abdominal exercises
Calisthenics

Friday
Incline hill sprints
MEDICINE BALL WARMUP
Shoulder/Core Prep
Medicine Ball Squat
Medicine Ball Calf Raise

Abdominal exercises
Calisthenics

Saturday
3 mile run
MEDICINE BALL WARMUP
Shoulder/Core Prep
Medicine Ball Squat
Medicine Ball Calf Raise

Abdominal exercises
Calisthenics

Sunday
3-6 mile run

Thats my current workout plan.

Raekwon
01-31-2005, 08:59 AM
My training routine:

1) Get up at 6 am and watch the training scenes in Rocky IV.

2) Drink raw eggs

3) Go to boxingscene.com and chat for an hour

4) Punch the heavy bag for 15 minutes

5) Look at pictures of hot naked senoritas, and tell myself if I don't get in shape I'll never get one

6) Go to work 9-5(I'm an accountant)and daydream I'm Ali or Tyson

7) Come home, eat diner, and drink 3-4 Guinesses

8) Watch boxing on television or downloads on computer

9) Go to sleep and do it all over again! :mad:
intense training ;)

Super_Lightweight
01-31-2005, 10:41 AM
Amateur Boxing Training for me

WARM-UP

*Stetch arms and legs for 10 minutes.
*Body rolls, 10 to the left and 10 to the right
*75 jumping jacks
*20 more body rolls
*20 sky jumps
*20 neck rolls (10 left, 10 right)
*30 necks jerks (10 left, 10 right, 10 vertical)
*20 sky jacks
*140 arm rolls (70 forward, 70 backwards)
*30 arm tucks (touch armpits with fingertips then extend back out to side)

RUNNING

*3.5 miles at about 7.5-8 mph one day, then 4 sets of 45 second sprints (45 sec breaks) & hill-running

TRAINING

*3-3 min. rounds jump rope, 1 min. breaks
*3-3 min. rounds shadowboxing, 1 min. breaks
*2-3 min. rounds heavybag, 1 min. breaks
*2-3 min. rounds speedbag, 1 min. breaks
*2-3 min. rounds double-end bag, 1 min. breaks
*spar once a week about 3-4 rounds
*footwork- move laterally around the ring back and forth for 2-3 rounds

*about 1,000 crunches a day (20 while laying on sides, 10 with legs 6 inches off the ground, 10 with legs straight up in the air, 10 regular, 50 with knees bent & twisting when I come up so that my right elbow touches my left knee on one crunch and my left touches the right knee on the next crunch, 50 bicycle crunches, 50 w/ knees bent @ 90 degrees where I hold the crunch for 2 seconds and 300 w/ feet off ground and knees bent @ 90 degrees)

Wrap-Up

*25-30 push-ups done with feet elevated on edge of ring
*50 sit-ups
*take hits to the body 150 times with medicine ball
*20 archie-moores
*wheelbarrows
*extend/stretch body by getting on knees grasping little wheel w/ handles on each side and getting flat then coming back up about 20 times

Super_Lightweight
01-31-2005, 10:46 AM
Hey spinx...what are calisthenics...I could look it up on google but I'll just let you tell me.

Also, what's your record in boxing, how long have you been boxing and how'd you rate yourself as a boxer on a 1-10 scale.

spinksjinx
01-31-2005, 11:11 AM
Hey spinx...what are calisthenics...I could look it up on google but I'll just let you tell me.

Also, what's your record in boxing, how long have you been boxing and how'd you rate yourself as a boxer on a 1-10 scale.

Calisthenics are exercises done with your own bodyweights, I also like to do a lot of swimming now though.

Had my first amateur fight 2 weeks ago, 1-0-0 got another fight in February 12th. My trainer is keeping me busy by putting me in amateur fights once a month from the circuit in my area. He recently spoke of a tournament in Virginia so I could be making my way down through their but for now, I will be fighting in West Virginia and Ohio once a month as long as the fights are still going on (my gym is in a circuit that puts on shows once a month with other gyms in those 2 states)

I still have a lot to learn but I feel confident in my style and dont think it will slow me down. My mental focus is so strong and that will carry anyone far.

1-10 I cant rate myself yet, to many styles and to much to learn.

Super_Lightweight
01-31-2005, 11:23 AM
I do some swimming also when it isn't cold. So would push-ups be considered a calisthenic workout since it is done with just the weight of the body?

That's awesome about your boxing man. How old are you and what weight do you fight at? How tall are you and what kind of reach do you have? What's your favorite combo? How did your first fight play out?

I boxed in Pensacola for 2.5 years and I'm about to start in Tallahassee. I didn't run hardly at all for my 1st fight but I won by sheer will, then my 3 fights following that I lost even though I knew more and I ran a lot. Just goes to show you got to be dedicated and not get discouraged if you have problems at the beginning.

I wish my gym had been as active as yours is. I've only had 4 fights in like 3 years. I would have about 8 fights by now but I had to take a long break because I didn't have a ride and sometimes I'd go to shows and there'd be no one for me to fight.

spinksjinx
01-31-2005, 11:52 AM
Yes, anything pushing your own weight is pretty much calisthenic.

I am 20, I am testing the waters with my weight right now. I fought at 122 but I normally walk around at 117 so I had to eat eat and eat for the weigh in. I could possibly go down to 112 if needed. I am 5'7 my arm length is 24" from the end of the fist to the arm pit.

Favorite Combo? Hmmm I like any that lands haha, Probably popping a straight and then a hook followed by an uppercut and then back with a jab. I use my jab a lot though.

First fight went ok, I was satisfied and disappointed. I got the nod but could have done better, I beat him by 2 points and ended up banging my elbow up pretty bad though and had to get a cortizone shot.

Super_Lightweight
01-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Rock on, man. I like 2-3-2 combos and 3-2-3 combos. Three solid power punches and if I can get 'em on the ropes something's gonna land. My first fight was crazy...after the fight I didn't even have the evergy to hold a drink in my hand.

You started pretty late...it sucks when you have to fight guys with way more experience, which sooner or later you will have to do. In my 3rd fight I fought a guy with 40 fights. Crazy. I know this one kid though who lost his first 20 fights then won most of the next 80.

I'm 5'8'', and I walk around at about 148 lbs and fight at 140 lbs.
70" reach but I do not know my actual arm length. You had to EAT and EAT for a weigh'in?! Damn...I wish I could eat to weigh-in...lol.

Pugnacious_Z
02-17-2005, 01:45 AM
dont lose any weight b4 fight

Beer Garden
02-18-2005, 06:54 PM

Interesting you should mention Iron Gloves in Tempe...do you have a phone number? I think they are on University. They are not listed. I was hoping to join. Thx

Pugnacious_Z
02-18-2005, 07:39 PM
yeah boxing is the hardest sport to train 4

Pugnacious_Z
02-18-2005, 07:40 PM
i was wondering, when you guys spar, how long do youse go for, how many rounds?

ceboxer15
02-19-2005, 07:31 PM
hi i'm new to this site, and i came across this thread and wanted to how i should be training. I'm 15 years old and i am currently training to be a boxer, but my problem is that I don't how I should be training, cause all boxers do over 100 sits ups, and things like that, but I'm 15 and i wanted to know if there'e a certin way I should be training at my age. anyone have any ideas?

ophqui
02-20-2005, 07:48 AM
^avoid weights. Do plenty of calisthenics, running, swimming and technique work (sparring, shadowboxing etc).

My working out day (4 days a week) looks like this

Morning: 6am start, quick warm up then a four mile run

Daytime: School, im working out ma brain!

Evening: Skipping (3 rounds x 3 mins,then 3 x 1 minute of sprint skipping)

3 x 3 minutes shadow boxing

2 sets of 75 press ups
3 sets of 100 crunches
3 sets of 25 one-legged weightless squats

This is my workout for 4 days a week, i have one rest day per week, and on the other 2 days i have a muay thai class and i dnt work out

i was wondering, when you guys spar, how long do youse go for, how many rounds?

I normally spar 5 rounds twice a week. I spar with the 3 fighters in my weight class w/simialr expiriance normally, but sometimes i'll spar with the pro-welter at my gym. He's heavier and better than me, but its good learning expiriance for me.

jack_the_rippuh
02-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Find a super-easy chick, call about four or five of my friends, and we train her...or we run a train...

Nah, I'm just kidding..