View Full Version : Fight Night Champions release thread, first impressions etc

Erik K
03-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Wanted to start a thread for our thoughts on the game. Can we try to keep all posts about the release in this thread?

Just wanted to hear what everyone thinks of the finished game when they get it today or later in the week.

Its 9:10 AM and hoping I get the game before noon.

Hi-Dro
03-01-2011, 01:12 PM
I like it, but I'm still ****in with FNR4 4 a month, or two.

-Huey-
03-01-2011, 01:37 PM
My wife is picking it up around 1 or 2pm...can't wait to get home and create JMM, Floyd, and The Baby Bull...i hope they dont come up with some crap about delays or i'll be super pissed!

DIB42
03-01-2011, 01:40 PM
I like it, but I'm still ****in with FNR4 4 a month, or two.

FNR4 is dead online though isn't it? Can't ever get a game.

I'm still waiting for FNC, should be here some time today, Fedex is holding it hostage.

i've been looking at the tracker every 10 minutes

Mersey
03-01-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't think it's out here until the 4th :(

the mesiah
03-01-2011, 02:52 PM
I just picked mine up at best buy, I like it. I especially like the fact that uppercuts are alot easier to throw than fn4 ,

DIB42
03-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't think it's out here until the 4th :(

uk wont get it till 4th

M Deezy
03-01-2011, 03:16 PM
just bought it 15 minutes ago.. just popped it in. i thought it was pretty tight how the first thing it does when u put the game in for the first time is start u off in a prison fight to get use to the controls. that was tight

-Huey-
03-01-2011, 03:25 PM
How is the CAB mode? I hope it's better than rd4.

johnm is...
03-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Got it about an hour ago. Bout to pop that ***** in here in a few minutes.

BigStereotype
03-01-2011, 04:55 PM
How is the CAB mode? I hope it's better than rd4.

First thing I did was create Marquez. It's as deep as I had hoped. Sliders for how often they throw each punch, whether they like to come forward/backward, fight dirty or not, clinch or not, taunt a lot, even whether or not they fight back when they get hurt. They listened to the players a lot for that one.

BigStereotype
03-01-2011, 05:47 PM
aaaaaand I just got 1 punched for the first time. Lennox vs. Joe Louis, was winning the fight, then he caught me with a left hook over my right. Good night. This game kicks ass.

Doze06
03-01-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm about to start playing. Saw my little brother play some of the story mode, it looks really nice.

Erik K
03-01-2011, 10:50 PM
So far so good. I like it alot more than I did the demo. Only played like 2 fights in legacy mode. Looks cool, but we kinda know where its heading.

Played about 7 games online. I think I went 5-2. Seems like everyone is using Tyson. So far most the fights are competitive except 1 time I got destroyed by Ali.

Pez
03-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Picked it up today. I'm liking the new training system for legacy mode, it's good to only have to do the one training game you're good at and spend the points to whatever stat you want. Story mode is nice, I'm having trouble with the guy with the big left hook though. Haven't been online yet but so far so good.

-Huey-
03-01-2011, 11:00 PM
First thing I did was create Marquez. It's as deep as I had hoped. Sliders for how often they throw each punch, whether they like to come forward/backward, fight dirty or not, clinch or not, taunt a lot, even whether or not they fight back when they get hurt. They listened to the players a lot for that one.

Im gonna log in right now, how does your JMM look? You got ps3?

Doze06
03-01-2011, 11:09 PM
So if we have 2 people using the same copy on the same ps3 do you new 2 codes for online or is it good for all of your ps3?

ILLuminato
03-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Playing Calzaghe-Jones right now. I always wished they'd put a "shot" Jones in to recreate that fight, not this time though. the jones they use is a 28 year old with the philly shell, they must not've seen a jones fight!

BigStereotype
03-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Im gonna log in right now, how does your JMM look? You got ps3?

Sorry man, 0-3. I have an Xbox with no Live (I don't know how to register my xbox with the network I use without a router...it's weak) and my Dinamita only looks sorta like him. Plays like a dream, though. Devastating uppercuts and straights. I'm gonna start another CAB thread tomorrow, though and he'll be the first one. I'm really excited about the tendencies, they're really good for making the styles. My Floyd in particular is feeling perfect. I had a 28 connect percentage for an entire fight against him! And I wasn't flailing away, I was playing Cotto the "right" way, patiently stalking, working the body, throwing straights upstairs to set up left hooks to the head and to the body...nothing. I couldn't touch him. Because I couldn't hit him much and he wasn't throwing much it wasn't an all-out brawl, which was very rare in Round 4. This game has a lot of promise for sure.

Also, the soundtrack is out of this world good. I can't stop listening to "I Need a Dollar." Introduced me to a new artist, and that's always a positive.

ILLuminato
03-02-2011, 01:05 AM
Also, the soundtrack is out of this world good. I can't stop listening to "I Need a Dollar." Introduced me to a new artist, and that's always a positive.

EA Sports introduces me to basically all of my music these days between FIFA and FN

BigStereotype
03-02-2011, 01:13 AM
EA Sports introduces me to basically all of my music these days between FIFA and FN

That dude Aloe Blacc is ****in soulful!

ILLuminato
03-02-2011, 01:51 AM
OMG, there is THE COOLEST surprise after beating your first opponent.

BigStereotype
03-02-2011, 02:06 AM
OMG, there is THE COOLEST surprise after beating your first opponent.

Legacy or Champion? I've just been messing with CABs and Fight Now.

HandSpeed303
03-02-2011, 02:08 AM
I have never disliked any Knockout Kings/Fight NIght...And this installment is no different!!!

I love the game!

Played for about 3 hours today (Champion mode), then had to get some sleep for work (stupid work!!!)...:mad:

Can't wait to get home in the morning!:boxing:

-Huey-
03-02-2011, 07:48 AM
I have not messed with the CAB mode yet...i hope they have that thing where you can upload a picture to put your face or any fighter's face that ain't on the game on a created boxer.

Flabulous
03-02-2011, 07:50 AM
just bought it 15 minutes ago.. just popped it in. i thought it was pretty tight how the first thing it does when u put the game in for the first time is start u off in a prison fight to get use to the controls. that was tight

Because all boxers are convicted criminals.

BigStereotype
03-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Because all boxers are convicted criminals.

Are you saying that nobody in prison learns to box?

DIB42
03-02-2011, 11:23 AM
I have never disliked any Knockout Kings/Fight NIght...And this installment is no different!!!

I love the game!

Played for about 3 hours today (Champion mode), then had to get some sleep for work (stupid work!!!)...:mad:

Can't wait to get home in the morning!:boxing:

Same problem here, I'm at work obsessing about the game.
Only got to play for about 2.5 hours last night.
1.5 hours in champion mode and 1 online match (Ranked, and i won)

dans
03-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Picked it up today. I'm liking the new training system for legacy mode, it's good to only have to do the one training game you're good at and spend the points to whatever stat you want. Story mode is nice, I'm having trouble with the guy with the big left hook though. Haven't been online yet but so far so good.

You gotta keep your guard up for the whole fight and counter him. He's going to knock you down in the first round, so just live with that. Key is to just keep your guard up and keep your eye on the left hook. He leaves himself wide open for counters because he swings widely.

I lost the first time and then beat him the second time after I figured him out. Just hold your guard up and pick your spots and it's not too hard.

MidnightSpecial
03-02-2011, 01:30 PM
I shouldn't have spend 60 bucks at the bar Saturday so i could buy this game

:nonono:

forgot it was coming out on the 1st

DIB42
03-02-2011, 02:53 PM
I shouldn't have spend 60 bucks at the bar Saturday so i could buy this game

:nonono:

forgot it was coming out on the 1st

Bummer, Should've bought a bottle of Boones Farm Strawberry hill for the lady, a Steel Reserve for yourself and Fight Night Champion.

Would have sent you over budget by about $8, but you could have thrown the reserve on a credit card and financed it for the next few years.

Pez
03-02-2011, 03:12 PM
You gotta keep your guard up for the whole fight and counter him. He's going to knock you down in the first round, so just live with that. Key is to just keep your guard up and keep your eye on the left hook. He leaves himself wide open for counters because he swings widely.

I lost the first time and then beat him the second time after I figured him out. Just hold your guard up and pick your spots and it's not too hard.

I'm hard headed so I kept trying to box him my normal way lol, but I got through him though and I got the trophy for beating him with my own left hook. I wonder if they made him vulnerable to left hooks because I kept stunning him with it.

DIB42
03-02-2011, 03:18 PM
From what i gather champion mode is sort of a hyrbid story/tutorial. So alot of stuff you'd normally do in a match you don't, because its trying to teach you one particular move or strategy or blah blah blah. I don't remember what the entire article said.

dj Ramos
03-02-2011, 04:04 PM
so wat u guys think about the game?

Pez
03-02-2011, 04:47 PM
From what i gather champion mode is sort of a hyrbid story/tutorial. So alot of stuff you'd normally do in a match you don't, because its trying to teach you one particular move or strategy or blah blah blah. I don't remember what the entire article said.

I wouldn't say tutorial, it was more like a handicap mode where you can only use one arm, fight with half your stamina, must win by KO, etc. The gameplay for Champion mode was nothing special but the story was decent. I wouldn't mind EA making a sequel to the story.

ILLuminato
03-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Isaac Frost is like George Foreman on PED's and with plaster, I gave up on Champ difficulty and ifnished the fight on Pro....great story, needed maybe a bit more though.

Equilibrium
03-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Loving the game so far, best fight night game so far in my opinion. They fixed everything i hated about round 4, actually there was 1 main thing that pissed me off.

It was that all fighters fought the same way, everybody was an elite counter puncher in round 4. They definitely changed that in a big way. I find myself with my back on the ropes turtling up on a regular basis, the ai is great without feeling cheap like it did in round 4.

Champion mode is awesome so far, just wonder how long it will be, i just got out of jail and had like 2 fights.

I made myself in legacy mode. Won the amateur tournament easy. Then on my first pro fight i didn't really know how the training worked, and ended up coming into the fight with only 40% stamina. And for some reason my first fight was a 6 rounder.

I dominated most of the fight, dropped the guy once and hurt him several times. In the 6th round my stamina was really low, i'd say like 15% or so. I was really trying to finish the bastard but i threw like 3 punches and my fighter was gassed.

He caught me with a big punch with 3 seconds left in the round and i lost by KO. It didn't even give me a chance to get back up.

I felt like just restarting my cab but fck it, i'll roll with it. About to log on right now and fight the bastard again.

ILLuminato
03-03-2011, 01:51 AM
I'm not sure whether everybody else sucks, or the game is too easy to KO. Granted, my connect percentage on average is like 80% to 40%, and most people just swing wildly and don't place punches, I do. I haven't had a "real" loss yet outside of the first game when I went up against Hearns with DLH and was a bit wild against him, since i've been more defensive minded and haven't been 1 punch ko'ed or barely hurt since.

Pez
03-03-2011, 03:42 AM
Got my first belt in Legacy mode earlier today. Defended it against Hearns and **** I hate fighting opponents who block the whole time, it annoys the **** out of me. And that block counter window is bull. I can't win if I don't punch but if I punch, I get countered. Luckily, I gave him a cut in the third round so I just targeted it every time he opened up to punch me. It was the hardest fight I've had so far but managed to KO him in the 11th instead of TKO.

I'm not sure whether everybody else sucks, or the game is too easy to KO. Granted, my connect percentage on average is like 80% to 40%, and most people just swing wildly and don't place punches, I do. I haven't had a "real" loss yet outside of the first game when I went up against Hearns with DLH and was a bit wild against him, since i've been more defensive minded and haven't been 1 punch ko'ed or barely hurt since.

Everyone I faced online so far were all pretty good or at least were not button mashers. I get KO'd a lot but it's most likely due to me picking low rated fighters. I can hang in there with most people but I seem to get stunned a lot even though I have full stamina.

B.U.R.N.E.R
03-03-2011, 09:22 AM
I really like it. Im 0-6 online. I guess I shouldve practiced more with the new controls before jumping online. Ill get that record fixed though.

I hate how online everyone pics Pernell Whitaker, Hagler, etc. The legends.

Mersey
03-03-2011, 09:24 AM
I was going to save some money this week... but nahhhh gotta buy this today :lol1: