View Full Version : How do you know when you have achieved a good strength foundation?

Jackin
09-10-2005, 12:14 PM
How can you know? I am trying to be sure that my body is ready for plyometrics before I start them.

EXIGE
09-10-2005, 12:47 PM
How can you know? I am trying to be sure that my body is ready for plyometrics before I start them.
Just start man. Make sure you are getting your rest and you are eating sufficiently. If you are worried about injury, do light plyometrics and build it up.

Peace.

PunchDrunk
09-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Your trainer should know. If he doesn't, you probably should look around for another trainer, who knows his ****.

blockburna944
09-11-2005, 02:40 AM
for leg training, i was always told that you should be able to max squat 150% of your body weight and do 10 reps of 80% your body weight.

also, ive heard that you should be able to do a leg extension of 80% of your body weight and a leg curl with 60%

still, those are only decent indications at best; its best to speak directly to a trainer.

PunchDrunk
09-11-2005, 04:20 AM
for leg training, i was always told that you should be able to max squat 150% of your body weight and do 10 reps of 80% your body weight.

also, ive heard that you should be able to do a leg extension of 80% of your body weight and a leg curl with 60%

still, those are only decent indications at best; its best to speak directly to a trainer.

Decent yeah, but relative strenght differs a lot, depending on your own weight. The lower your bodyweight, the higher your relative strength should be.

Jackin
09-11-2005, 12:44 PM
squatting 150% of your bodyweight is just a good foundation? That's strong as hell. I can only squat like 90% of my bodyweight, so I know I dont got a good foundation.

blockburna944
09-11-2005, 04:39 PM
squatting 150% of your bodyweight is just a good foundation? That's strong as hell. I can only squat like 90% of my bodyweight, so I know I dont got a good foundation.
like i said, you should really talk to someone about it to get a better indication of how you can train without injuring yourself, but i learned plyometrics routines on junior-high and high-school basketball teams (we worked with baseball and football trainers too), which was a huge focus on leg strength - so thats why i often heard those percentages.

for upperbody, they said you were strong if you could rep your body weight, but we never really did much upperbody plyometrics.