View Full Version : Tyson on past fighters

sonnyboyx2
02-07-2011, 03:31 PM
He mentions 2 ATG fighters Robinson and Dempsey as being exactly how they were in the ring, just constantly there to hurt you... good interview.

Mike Tyson: Every fighter in the history of fighting. But none like me. And, believe me, I'm not being immodest. None like me. I studied every fighter in history, at my manager's house up in Catskill, 'cause he had all the greatest fights on film, he had every last one of them, and I watched them all, every night. They were all so vicious, man. Jake LaMotta, Henry Armstrong, Carmen Basilio. Sugar Ray—God, he was vicious. But Jack Dempsey more than anyone. All these guys let you know they wanted to murder you, and they'd take shots from you, over and over and over, get beat senseless, just so they could get theirs in. Sugar Ray maybe most of all. But Jack Dempsey? He wanted to maim you. He didn't want you dead. He wanted you to suffer. He wanted to shatter your eye socket, destroy your cheeks, your chinbone. That's what I learned from Mr. Dempsey, and I believe I learned it well. Details: And what did you learn from Mr. Ali?
Mike Tyson: Believe it or not, with all that poetry and the butterflies, what I learned from Ali was meanness. He was the meanest fighter of all time. He'd be in there with Foreman, hardest puncher of all time, he'd be in there with Frazier, another hardest puncher, and he'd be taking it, boom, getting pounded, and then he'd turn, when it was his time, and you'd look at that face, and he's screaming. [Does an Ali impression] "I'm not [Throws a punch] scared [Throws a punch] of you, you ****ing ******. [Throws two punches] You ****ing punk. I'm ****ing God, and worship me. I'm the greatest. [Throws two punches] You're a little ****ing boy, ****sucker." Nobody at ringside reported it, but nobody ****-talked like Ali.

CarlosG815
02-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Good find, where was that from?

The Surgeon
02-07-2011, 03:53 PM
He mentions 2 ATG fighters Robinson and Dempsey as being exactly how they were in the ring, just constantly there to hurt you... good interview.

Mike Tyson: Every fighter in the history of fighting. But none like me. And, believe me, I'm not being immodest. None like me. I studied every fighter in history, at my manager's house up in Catskill, 'cause he had all the greatest fights on film, he had every last one of them, and I watched them all, every night. They were all so vicious, man. Jake LaMotta, Henry Armstrong, Carmen Basilio. Sugar Ray—God, he was vicious. But Jack Dempsey more than anyone. All these guys let you know they wanted to murder you, and they'd take shots from you, over and over and over, get beat senseless, just so they could get theirs in. Sugar Ray maybe most of all. But Jack Dempsey? He wanted to maim you. He didn't want you dead. He wanted you to suffer. He wanted to shatter your eye socket, destroy your cheeks, your chinbone. That's what I learned from Mr. Dempsey, and I believe I learned it well. Details: And what did you learn from Mr. Ali?
Mike Tyson: Believe it or not, with all that poetry and the butterflies, what I learned from Ali was meanness. He was the meanest fighter of all time. He'd be in there with Foreman, hardest puncher of all time, he'd be in there with Frazier, another hardest puncher, and he'd be taking it, boom, getting pounded, and then he'd turn, when it was his time, and you'd look at that face, and he's screaming. [Does an Ali impression] "I'm not [Throws a punch] scared [Throws a punch] of you, you ****ing ******. [Throws two punches] You ****ing punk. I'm ****ing God, and worship me. I'm the greatest. [Throws two punches] You're a little ****ing boy, ****sucker." Nobody at ringside reported it, but nobody ****-talked like Ali.

Good read, always good to hear Tysons boxing opinions.

Joeyzagz
02-07-2011, 04:22 PM

He shouldve been studying elite technicians like Gene Tunney and Joe Louis. That swarming/ peek-a-boo style has its limitations.

Sugarj
02-07-2011, 04:38 PM
I'd say Floyd Patterson was an elite technician, every bit as technically adept as Louis and Tunney. The perfect exponent of the peek a boo style.

The Surgeon
02-07-2011, 04:40 PM
He shouldve been studying elite technicians like Gene Tunney and Joe Louis. That swarming/ peek-a-boo style has its limitations.

All styles have there limitations.

Tyson seemed to do pretty well with the style he used, infact it was as if it was designed for him he fitted it that much, Tyson and the peek a boo style are a perfect match

McGoorty
07-18-2011, 04:16 PM
The Biggest thing that I've alway's respected Mr. Tyson for is his total respect for ALL the Great and Close-To-Great fighters of the past. With the likes of Cayton he had access to over 3 quarters of all the classic films in existance. I am NOT one of those who'd rate Mike as in the top 8 Heavyweights ever but MAN was he INTIMIDATING. I hope he and his buddy J. Fenech have peacefull futures.

ghns1133
07-18-2011, 04:34 PM
he didnt have the body type to be a prue boxer. he was born for the peekaboo bobing and weaving style.

barfly12
07-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Ali called Patteson the most skilled man he ever fought.

Forza
07-18-2011, 09:31 PM
One of the few good things I can say about tyson is he was actually a legit boxing fan, at least in his youth. I mean look at these new champs today, you think a kid like amir khan even knows who willie pep is? You think brandon rios ever saw more than 10 seconds of a henry armstrong fight? Does sergio martinez even know or care about jake lamotta?