Dana White Screws UFC Fans: The New Vince McMahon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana White Screws UFC Fans: The New Vince McMahon

http://ringsidereport.com/?p=7324

UFC President Dana White has reneged on yet another “Guaranteed” title shot. Yushin “Thunder” Okami is going to be snubbed yet again and all Dana White has to say is “Okami is gonna be pissed, but he’s not getting the next title shot.”

With Okami earning this “guaranteed” title shot after defeating Nate Marquardt, he will now be snubbed by a second opponent, the first was Vitor Belfort, the second is none other than “to be determined.” Yes, Dana White is up to his old tricks snubbing Japanese fighters of what they have earned and letting them stay inactive and springing a big fight out of nowhere on them then if not victorious stating Japanese MMA is no good or it sucks.

With Silva clearing out the middleweight division there isn’t any fight left that makes sense, so might as well make the Okami fight. Okami is the last man to get a victory against Anderson Silva although it was by DQ from an illegal upkick. Okami is also a much stronger and improved wrestler since then and is now better than Chael Sonnen, the last man to give Anderson major problems inside the Octagon.

Okami being snubbed again is leading to the belief that Dana White doesn’t like Japanese fighters. White has repeatedly brought in Japanese fighters well past their prime and let them get beaten on in the UFC to further his statement of the “UFC having the best fighters in the world.” Although this isn’t true in every case with a Japanese fighter, it seems like the formula Zuffa LLC is going with and it’s working.

I know for a fact this statement is not true at all, the UFC is a giant marketing machine and there are plenty of fighters who can beat the UFC’s best but many if not all are true martial artist and do not fight for sport since they have a different respect for the martial arts. The UFC does have the best mixed martial artist in the world, but not the best fighters by a long shot.

The mainstream media and casual fan is unaware of this as many do not know the history of the UFC, the fallout after the Pride FC purchase by Zuffa, or the origin and history of many martial arts in general. This leaves the UFC with their marketing strategy to capitalize on the uneducated fans and draw them into new icons and sports heroes outside of the conventional big four: Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey in the 18-40 year old male demographic.

Even if Okami lost to Silva it wouldn’t make a difference to Silva being the pound for pound king that has already been justified on numerous occasions. The only thing I can see coming from this is the UFC doesn’t want Anderson Silva to lose or have any high probability of losing any fight and are relying on Georges St. Pierre’s victory over Jake Shields to set up the biggest fight in all of combat sports history.

Until then, expect Anderson Silva to be inactive or have no real challengers get in the Octagon with him and just pad his record every once in a while until this GSP debate is settled. This leads to the old saying “Money Talks and BS Walks.” and in the UFC, it doesn’t matter what you’ve done or how good you are, if you can’t draw the buys you won’t get what you’ve actually earned.

If I am wrong what about the cases of many challengers left without title shots who rightfully earn them? Jim Miller is one that comes to mind since he only has one loss in the UFC in nine bouts and that lone loss is to Gray Maynard, who should be the UFC lightweight champion seeing how the current champion Frankie Edgar is 0-1-1 against him and getting a rubber match somehow.

Dana White is turning into a Don King/Vince McMahon hybrid which is great for business and the sport but terrible for purist of martial arts in general. Not saying Dana White hasn’t done any good he has done many great things but so has Don King and Vince McMahon, it doesn’t necessarily make you a good hearted person as much as someone who is just increasing their popularity in the public image.

At the end of the day, the only color that matters to the UFC and Zuffa LLC is green and Dana White knows this and has all the smoke and mirrors imaginable to keep the UFC under his iron fist, where he is the true champion and pound for pound king and everyone else is just a roster space in “HIS” sport.

Really, who wants to see Okami? Okami got destroyed by Sonnen. It wasn't even a fight, it was a one sided domination. Beat Chael first Okami.

I much rather see Anderson vs. GSP.

Comment

Screwing fans? Okami is NOT a fan favourite. If all the fans are actually pleased by this.

Comment

Comment

I agree that it's stupid how Dana promises people title shots (I think he did the same to Fitch?) and then gives them to other people.

I think the article has it's weak points though. Okami better than Sonnen? Very debateable, and I certainly don't think he's better than the roided up version of Sonnen, so any sort of 'Okami is better than Sonnen and Sonnen gave Silva problems' inference is pretty flawed.

Also:
          If I am wrong what about the cases of many challengers left without title shots who rightfully earn them? Jim Miller is one that comes to mind since he only has one loss in the UFC in nine bouts and that lone loss is to Gray Maynard, who should be the UFC lightweight champion seeing how the current champion Frankie Edgar is 0-1-1 against him and getting a rubber match somehow.
          WTF is that? You should be the champion if you hold a win over him?

That paragraph would've worked a lot better if he'd just mentioned Pettis, who won a FOTY-candidate and was promised an immediate title shot but also won't be getting one quite so soon.

Comment

Okami's fanboys are funny :P

he looks **** in every single fight. even his recent fights were he has displayed improved standup, he hasnt show great standup, just improved by his own incredibly low standard.

Comment

The guy is clearly the next title contender at 185. He's earned his shot two or three times already. If you think he sucks or that he's boring, fine; but he deserves the shot. He even holds a win over Silva (I know it was a DQ, but still). The guy is 10-2 in the UFC over the last 5 years for ****s sake. Okami also is the style match up which gives Anderson trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by ƒallenloki View Post
                The guy is clearly the next title contender at 185. He's earned his shot two or three times already. If you think he sucks or that he's boring, fine; but he deserves the shot. He even holds a win over Silva (I know it was a DQ, but still). The guy is 10-2 in the UFC over the last 5 years for ****s sake. Okami also is the style match up which gives Anderson trouble.

....and Okami was given a title shot at UFC 90. He got hurt and lost the title shot. On top of that he lost a fight to Sonnen.

At the end of the day Okami did shoot himself in the foot twice. He if didn't get hurt he would of had his title shot over two years ago. And if he'd beaten Sonnen he would have gotten his title shot last year. Its true he is the next contender but when you're a fighter nobody give a **** about you have to sit on the sidelines when there is more intriguing fights lined up.

Comment

This isn't about who's exciting and who's not. Its about what's right. And its not right for Okami to get robbed of a title shot AGAIN! Okami clearly deserves the next shot at Anderson's belt, and is easily a top 3 contender at 185lb. Exciting or not, you can't deny the fact that he's damn good. Since entering the UFC he's only lost to Franklin, the former champ, and Sonnen, the dude who up until the last 2 minutes was DOMINATING Silva. YEs, he lost to Franklin, Yes, he lost to Sonnen, but he's rebounded back form both those loses and continued to prove his worth in the division and organization. I think its ridiculous that White is not giving him his title shot, and its not because he didn't earn it either, its more like them not being able to sell it. But c'mon, if you can put Cote, Maia, and Leites in there for a title shot, i don't see why Okami don't deserve it.

Comment

I for one do not care to see Okami vs Silva.
                    It's just not a fight that would have any anticipation, or
                    allure. As far as Silva vs GSP, this fight has all the making's
                    of a career ruining fight, for the loser.
                    It seems like DFW is trying to pull something here.
                    It might be different if Both guys had been clamoring
                    loudly for a fight with each other.

This isn't the case. Naturally both will say
                    Yes I will fight him, but why?
                    The UFC has plenty of room for 2 ATG's, why
                    diminish that by pitting them against each other?

I think GSP should stay at 170, and finish out his career there.
                    Let Silva move up to 205 and graze the greener grasses, his
                    chances at 205 are much better than GSP at 185.

I like both as fighters and as good people.

Comment

Working...
                    X