Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name Some Middleweights who you think could of Boxed for the Heavyweight title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name Some Middleweights who you think could of Boxed for the Heavyweight title

If ray robinson had beat joey maxim the plan was to then fight for the heavyweight title. Some other fighters i think could of had a chance are charley burley and Holman Williams, maybe Lamotta??? he did fight as a heavyweight back in his amateur days.

Harry Greb almost definitely.
    I think B-Hop could manage also.
    LaMotta is a good choice from yourself, it was his lifes ambition to be world Heavyweight champion and he was gutted when his natural weight was 160.

Comment

Mickey Walker was a capable if fighting for it during his era.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        Mickey Walker was a capable if fighting for it during his era.
        Damn, you beat me to my mention.

It depends on what you mean by, "Champ." If we're talking the likes of titleists (John Ruiz, Oleg Maskaev, etc.) then the list is surprisingly extensive.

If, like me, you prefer to acknowledge only the linear title in reference to, "Champ," it gets more exclusive. Walker could still have won the real McCoy, given the right HW Champion. Hasim Rahman, or Leon Spinks for instance, could be Walker victims. Shannon Briggs, too. You could also add Michael Spinks, & perhaps even Ingemar Johansson on an off-night (he was sometimes poorly-conditioned). As a former Middle himself, Jimmy Ellis might also be on the radar, though he developed into a pretty respectable force at Heavy.

Tommy Burns, though under-rated historically, might join the aforementioned Leon Spinks as the easiest target here for any optimistic Middleweights.

I doubt the credentials of the likes of career-160lbers such as Hagler & Monzon. Those were special, special fighters, but they proved nothing at a higher weight, & I've seen just too many times brilliant fighters move up & get shot down, sometimes unexpectedly, to give them the benefit of the doubt here. LHW might be a different story for these guys, but not HW.

Comment

how about ketchel?
          I know he tried but against some other opponent?

Comment

Sam Langford.

Comment

Greb easily. Bernard probably is gonna end up doing it, although B-Hop vs. a current heavyweight is going to be an excruciatingly awful fight. I'm really tempted to say LaMotta, but he had little power even at middleweight. How many truly featherfisted heavyweights are there? I just think he'd be too short and not have enough power. Roy Jones probably could have had some more continued success beyond Ruiz, although I don't think he's beating any truly elite heavyweights. Did Iran Barkley ever fight at heavyweight? Because he was huge.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
                Greb easily. Bernard probably is gonna end up doing it, although B-Hop vs. a current heavyweight is going to be an excruciatingly awful fight. I'm really tempted to say LaMotta, but he had little power even at middleweight. How many truly featherfisted heavyweights are there? I just think he'd be too short and not have enough power. Roy Jones probably could have had some more continued success beyond Ruiz, although I don't think he's beating any truly elite heavyweights. Did Iran Barkley ever fight at heavyweight? Because he was huge.
                Yeah after the beating from Toney he moved up, his opposition was pretty obscure I think he stopped Coetzee and lost to Berbick.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
                  Yeah after the beating from Toney he moved up, his opposition was pretty obscure I think he stopped Coetzee and lost to Berbick.
                  Oh, ok. Well if it was after the Toney fight, I can't see him doing much. He was almost blind. Before then, though, you never know. He coulda done something.

Comment

How is Greb getting so many votes? He would get killed in a fight against just about every title holder of his time.

Comment

Working...
                    X