View Full Version : Which 3 Fights would you choose

sonnyboyx2
01-11-2011, 12:57 PM
If you could pick any three fights in the history of boxing that you know were never filmed or that no footage of is known to exist, which ones would they be and why? And to make this thread more interesting you can't choose a fight that's already been picked by a previous poster, that'll ensure we get a more diverse variety of fights to discuss as no one will have the same three fights. So with that said here is my list:

1/. Harry Greb vs Gene Tunney (2)....Their first fight was by all accounts a massacre for Greb with him busting-up Tunney, This their 2nd fight was by all accounts a razor-close decision victory for Tunney which could have went either way.

2/. Jake LaMotta vs Ray Robinson (2) .... This being the only one of the five fights these two greats had which LaMotta won and with both being in their prime it must have been a storming fight which i would love to see unfold.

3/. Rocky Graziano vs Tony Zale (1).... By all accounts this was the greatest of their three fantastic fights (i have fights 2 & 3) Legendary commentator Don Dunphy said this was the greatest fight he ever witnessed in his life, so it simply has to be fantastic viewing.

Remember you can't choose the same fight as a previous poster.

EMSLDB
01-11-2011, 03:35 PM
gavilan vs robinson 1 & 2

Great John L
01-11-2011, 04:14 PM
I would love to see these three fights in high quality
John L. Sullivan vs James J. Corbett
James J. Jeffries vs James J. Corbett II
James J. Jeffries vs Bob Fitzsimmons I

Joey Giardello
01-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Charley Burley vs Archie Moore
Harry Greb vs Gene Tunney 1
Sam Langford vs Tiger Flowers

DarkTerror88
01-11-2011, 04:43 PM
I would like the Archie Moore-Ezzard Charles series

NChristo
01-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Eder Jofre - Vicente Saldivar
Eddie Booker - Archie Moore
Ray Robinson - Kid Gavilan

bklynboy
01-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Ketchel-Langford (Anything with Stanley Ketchel)
Greb-Flowers I
Greb-Mickey Walker

Would also love to see how good 19th C fighters were such as Jack Nonpareil Dempsey

sonnyboyx2
01-12-2011, 02:14 AM
I would love to see these three fights in high quality
John L. Sullivan vs James J. Corbett
James J. Jeffries vs James J. Corbett II
James J. Jeffries vs Bob Fitzsimmons I

Jeffries vs Fitzsimmons was filmed

GJC
01-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Ketchel-Langford (Anything with Stanley Ketchel)
Greb-Flowers I
Greb-Mickey Walker

Would also love to see how good 19th C fighters were such as Jack Nonpareil Dempsey
I'd have had Walker-Greb Langford-Ketchell too, back to the drawing board. Would love to see Baksi-Mills but for purely nostalgic reasons.

Jim Jeffries
01-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Jeffries vs Fitzsimmons was filmed

Then why the need to film a reenactment months later using Jack McCormick?

Joeyzagz
01-12-2011, 06:41 PM
1. John L Sullivan v Paddy Ryan II
Any fillm of Sullivan would do.

2. Bob Fitzsimmon vs Jeffries II Bob Fitzsimmons won this fight and Jeffries should have lost on DQ. I havent seen one report that said Jeffries was winning at any point. Robbery!

3. Buddy Baer vs Abe Simon
This was the first decent superheavyweight matchup. Both guys were 6'4+, 240lbs+ and contenders.

Bonus film
Any of the 3 sparring sessions where Greb whiped Dempsey's ass

Panzer
01-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Walcott-Lavigne I
Sanstol-Brown I
Wenstop-Tracey

also Walcott-Martin

Jim Jeffries
01-12-2011, 08:28 PM
2. Bob Fitzsimmon vs Jeffries II Bob Fitzsimmons won this fight and Jeffries should have lost on DQ. I havent seen one report that said Jeffries was winning at any point. Robbery!

This time Bob dished out some heavy punishment on Jeffries, busting his nose, bloodying his mouth and cutting him up bad. Many believed Fitzsimmons gloves were ’loaded’ with something (Jeffries was said to explain to Bob after the fight how he cut him up much worse this time around in a curious manner), but again Jeffries did not stop and weakened Bob with a great body attack, knocking him out in the 8th.Fitzsimmons had gave it his all, but it was clear to see he was in the wrong place at the wrong time as Jeffries continued to reign supreme with his overwhelming strength and ability to take a blow.

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/fitzsimmons.html

IN 8 ROUNDS JEFFRIES WHIPS FITZSIMMONS; The Cornish Man Receives Knockout Blow When Off His Guard.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F00F16FA3A591B728DDDAF0A94DF405B 828CF1D3

Then in the 8th round Bob was caught with a beautiful body shot then the head shot that finished him to allow Jeffries to retain his title.

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/174792_boxer-profile-james-j-jeffries#ixzz1AsG8Dm8g

Am I missing something here? I suppose it's easy to make up whatever you want about a non-televised fight, but perhaps you've got something to back it up?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Joeyzagz
01-12-2011, 09:38 PM
This time Bob dished out some heavy punishment on Jeffries, busting his nose, bloodying his mouth and cutting him up bad. Many believed Fitzsimmons gloves were ***8217;loaded***8217; with something (Jeffries was said to explain to Bob after the fight how he cut him up much worse this time around in a curious manner), but again Jeffries did not stop and weakened Bob with a great body attack, knocking him out in the 8th.Fitzsimmons had gave it his all, but it was clear to see he was in the wrong place at the wrong time as Jeffries continued to reign supreme with his overwhelming strength and ability to take a blow.

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/fitzsimmons.html

IN 8 ROUNDS JEFFRIES WHIPS FITZSIMMONS; The Cornish Man Receives Knockout Blow When Off His Guard.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F00F16FA3A591B728DDDAF0A94DF405B 828CF1D3

Then in the 8th round Bob was caught with a beautiful body shot then the head shot that finished him to allow Jeffries to retain his title.

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/174792_boxer-profile-james-j-jeffries#ixzz1AsG8Dm8g

Am I missing something here? I suppose it's easy to make up whatever you want about a non-televised fight, but perhaps you've got something to back it up?

Inquiring minds want to know.

What part of my post do you disagree with?

Anyways here is another quote you forgot:

"If a non-spectator had seen Jeffries and Fitzsimmons two minutes after the fight Fitz would have been picked the winner. There was not a mark on him, while Jeffries face was bloody and beaten to a pulp. "
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=n_8aAAAAIBAJ&sjid=m0gEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1386,1951337&dq=bob+fitzsimmons+jeffries&hl=en

Jim Jeffries
01-12-2011, 10:32 PM
What part of my post do you disagree with?

Just the Bob won this fight, Jeffries should have lost on DQ and Robbery! parts, you know, pretty much all of it.

Anyways here is another quote you forgot:

"If a non-spectator had seen Jeffries and Fitzsimmons two minutes after the fight Fitz would have been picked the winner. There was not a mark on him, while Jeffries face was bloody and beaten to a pulp. "
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=n_8aAAAAIBAJ&sjid=m0gEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1386,1951337&dq=bob+fitzsimmons+jeffries&hl=en

No, I'm quite aware that Bob was able to mark up Jim pretty good in both fights. In fact Bob was winning both fights, right up till the point at which he was knocked out..

Joeyzagz
01-12-2011, 11:14 PM
No, I'm quite aware that Bob was able to mark up Jim pretty good in both fights. In fact Bob was winning both fights, right up till the point at which he was knocked out..

Bob was talking with his guard down, Only then did Jeffries hit him!

Thats bullsh*t Arthur Abraham tactics. Shouldve been a DQ.

Jim Jeffries
01-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Bob was talking with his guard down, Only then did Jeffries hit him!

Thats bullsh*t Arthur Abraham tactics. Shouldve been a DQ.

Any excuse for the first fight and do you have a reasonable link for this little gem of yours? Hit while "talking with his guard down," you know that just might be the most absurd reason for a DQ I've ever heard in my life.

C'mon mate, I know we were in a boxing ring and all, during a championship fight, and I've been plastering you all night, left your face a bloody mess, but I had my hands down, talking and all, what did you have to go and hit me for?

Now that I think about it, don't bother with the link, you're clearly taking the piss.

Miburo
01-13-2011, 05:05 AM
Pep-Saddler II
One of the Burley-Charles fights
The 1929 World Series :fing02:

Barn
01-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Robinson - Gavilan I
Greb vs Tunney I
Langford vs Ketchel Exhibition.