View Full Version : Where will Kostya Tszyu Fit in?

XionComrade
08-31-2005, 04:55 PM
Once he retires, will he be totally forgotten forever as many others have been? What did he accomplish in his career?

I have heard some people say that he is the best to have ever fought at 140lbs, I don't know about that but their can't be many that were much better than he was.

Didn't Kostya get into the hall of fame?

Was he the best Australian Fighter of all time as Lewis was the best European?

punchers_chance
09-02-2005, 04:36 PM
I think Tzsyu is definitely one of the top junior welters of all time. On top of that, to still be one of the top men in his division at his age is amazing. He'll fall into line with the greats in due time.

kmac
09-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Tszyu is great and could have done well versus anyone in history

El Sureno
09-02-2005, 11:22 PM
the guy was really good

XionComrade
09-03-2005, 02:06 PM
the guy was really good

Well that's all good to hear, it would kinda suck if he just faded away and was forgotten forever like so many great fighters have been :/

Bentito
09-04-2005, 12:26 PM
of course, they guy is HOF.

- Evil -
09-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Once he retires, will he be totally forgotten forever as many others have been? What did he accomplish in his career?

I have heard some people say that he is the best to have ever fought at 140lbs, I don't know about that but their can't be many that were much better than he was.

Tszyu isnt really Australian, he's from Russia and although he says he's Ozzy you take your nationallity from your parents. Lewis wasnt the best european fighter either.

As for Tszyu he's all time great, no doubt about that.

enadeus
09-05-2005, 01:05 AM
Tszyu is Russian lets get that straight homie. He will always be considered as an all time great. Hatton's speech at the end of their fight said it all. Tszyu fought the best and held 3 world title belts at 140. I give him much respect.

XionComrade
09-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Well its good that it will bo Kostya Tszyu instead of Kostya Who

karlygash
09-07-2005, 02:09 PM
***1082;***1087;***1088;***1099;***1082;***1087;***1091;***1082;***1088; ***1088;***1088;***1072;***1086;

XionComrade
09-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Excuse? Can't understand that lol

Konstantin
09-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Excuse? Can't understand that lol

neither can i and im russian :eek:

salsanchezfan
09-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Tszyu will be remembered fondly. While never having an opponent to play the Frazier to his Ali (or Ali to his Frazier, if you prefer), he was remarkably consistent for a number of years, and beat excellent opposition. He's not the flavor of the month right now, so he's pushed off to the side for the time being, but when all the smoke clears he's a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame.

McGoorty
08-07-2011, 06:04 AM

Tszyu was great and not quite the best fighter from Australia,.... a lot of history there.

The Surgeon
08-08-2011, 08:00 AM
A Worthy inclusion to the Hall :boxing:

Pastrano
08-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Tszyu was great and not quite the best fighter from Australia,.... a lot of history there.

Thats because he AIN'T from Australia!:rolleyes: Coming to a country at 23 isn't called being FROM that country, y'know!

McGoorty
08-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Thats because he AIN'T from Australia!:rolleyes: Coming to a country at 23 isn't called being FROM that country, y'know!
Fair enough, if that's what you think, but he was transformed from a Amateur Style to a professional style by Johnny Lewis, he had guys like Jeff Fenech, Jeff Harding, Virgil Hill (yes, I know he's American) and others, and he calls Australia home (who wouldn't) and is a citizen, The U.S. has many Mexicans that they claim.----------------------------------------------------- Besides, even if he was born Australian he would be far behind Les Darcy who is number one (and had he lived to just 28 yo, he may have been THE Greatest .--PERIOD, but that;s an IF). Darcy was indestructible, very few MW's in history could have beaten him at age 20. Kostya was a bit of a genius in the ring but was far more vulnerable and although he was one of THE great punchers, Les Darcy was even better and I'm Talkin' Pound for Pound,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Darcy was great against big men, in fact, he beat them all and at least half of his 50 fights,were against Heavier and taller men, this was the case from all divisions from Bantamweight to Heavyweight,......... and was NEVER KNOCKED DOWN in his LIFE,............... these are just SOME of the reasons why I rate him higher than Kostya,........ and Kostya Tszyu is my FAVORITE FIGHTER in 20 Years................................... cheers.

Pastrano
08-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Fair enough, if that's what you think, but he was transformed from a Amateur Style to a professional style by Johnny Lewis, he had guys like Jeff Fenech, Jeff Harding, Virgil Hill (yes, I know he's American) and others, and he calls Australia home (who wouldn't) and is a citizen, The U.S. has many Mexicans that they claim.----------------------------------------------------- Besides, even if he was born Australian he would be far behind Les Darcy who is number one (and had he lived to just 28 yo, he may have been THE Greatest .--PERIOD, but that;s an IF). Darcy was indestructible, very few MW's in history could have beaten him at age 20. Kostya was a bit of a genius in the ring but was far more vulnerable and although he was one of THE great punchers, Les Darcy was even better and I'm Talkin' Pound for Pound,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Darcy was great against big men, in fact, he beat them all and at least half of his 50 fights,were against Heavier and taller men, this was the case from all divisions from Bantamweight to Heavyweight,......... and was NEVER KNOCKED DOWN in his LIFE,............... these are just SOME of the reasons why I rate him higher than Kostya,........ and Kostya Tszyu is my FAVORITE FIGHTER in 20 Years................................... cheers.
And somehow, the story always returns to DARCY!:lol1:

The Surgeon
08-08-2011, 11:23 AM

At the Hatton vs Zoo fight we were chanting to the Aussie fans "UR ONLY SINGING FOR A RUSSIAN!" They were not impressed lol

McGoorty
08-08-2011, 11:31 AM
And somehow, the story always returns to DARCY!:lol1:
Well you were referring to my including Kostya, so I explained why most experts think that "Pastrano's UMENTIONABLE ONE" is the best fighter to come out of Oz,,,......... no reason to get Narky..... I'm sorry if I mentioned the great one...... seriously mate... lets not get personal, I do talk about and Post about just about any fighter you can name,... I'm sorry if I've come across as your critic, basically you only upset me once but so what ? I said what I had to say days ago, and I'm done with it,... I'll give you credit any time I read a good and well thought out post and will not get personal unless somebody attacks me or says anything that I think is unfair to a fighter, or another poster,.. friend or not,... OK pal.

McGoorty
08-08-2011, 11:50 AM
At the Hatton vs Zoo fight we were chanting to the Aussie fans "UR ONLY SINGING FOR A RUSSIAN!" They were not impressed lol
Mate most of us Aussies have a love hate relationship with the Brits and vicey- vercy. But it's mostly love on our part, it all began in 1882 when Fred "The Demon" Spofforth took 14 wickets for almost nothing to Carry the Aussies to a Brilliant victory on English soil and the "ASHES" began. Since then the Aussies have won twice as many tests through history and as such the Bovver Boys have been a bit miffed. As for Tszyu he was Russian and is now a Russian/Australian, and he proudly carried the hopes of Russians and Australians and SOME Americans. The Brits had a rare victory over the AWESOME AUSSIES (lol) and just like a couple of years ago when England finally got the "Ashes" back, the Brits (Poms, in the southern Half), enjoyed rubbing our noses in it for a while,............................................ .................................................. ..Gee look out when Britain finally beats us in another England-Invented sport,... RUGBY LEAGUE "The Football game for REAL men", in the Mid-Twenty First century (We have ruled you since 1970,,,, lol,, 41 years ,.. lol), We'll NEVER HEAR The End Of It........ lol,..... and don't get me started on Australia's Commonwealth games EMPORERS Status,... lol.-----------It's time for the "TIM HENMANLANDERS" to return serve,..... 15 all

The Surgeon
08-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Mate most of us Aussies have a love hate relationship with the Brits and vicey- vercy. But it's mostly love on our part, it all began in 1882 when Fred "The Demon" Spofforth took 14 wickets for almost nothing to Carry the Aussies to a Brilliant victory on English soil and the "ASHES" began. Since then the Aussies have won twice as many tests through history and as such the Bovver Boys have been a bit miffed. As for Tszyu he was Russian and is now a Russian/Australian, and he proudly carried the hopes of Russians and Australians and SOME Americans. The Brits had a rare victory over the AWESOME AUSSIES (lol) and just like a couple of years ago when England finally got the "Ashes" back, the Brits (Poms, in the southern Half), enjoyed rubbing our noses in it for a while,............................................ .................................................. ..Gee look out when Britain finally beats us in another England-Invented sport,... RUGBY LEAGUE "The Football game for REAL men", in the Mid-Twenty First century (We have ruled you since 1970,,,, lol,, 41 years ,.. lol), We'll NEVER HEAR The End Of It........ lol,..... and don't get me started on Australia's Commonwealth games EMPORERS Status,... lol.-----------It's time for the "TIM HENMANLANDERS" to return serve,..... 15 all
Dude im Scottish i dont give a flying fook about cricket! lol Pub Sports are a Scotsman's domain!

Never met an Aussie i didnt like, we had a great crack with all the lads at Hatton vs Tszyu aswell, the banter was strong but so was the respect for both fighters and it was all in good nature

Katsidis should set himself up over here imo, he dont seem to get the love ud expect from the Aussie fans, we love him in Brittain even tho he keeps bashing up our boys! He'd do big money if he signed for Warren

McGoorty
08-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Dude im Scottish i dont give a flying fook about cricket! lol Pub Sports are a Scotsman's domain!

Never met an Aussie i didnt like, we had a great crack with all the lads at Hatton vs Tszyu aswell, the banter was strong but so was the respect for both fighters and it was all in good nature

Katsidis should set himself up over here imo, he dont seem to get the love ud expect from the Aussie fans, we love him in Brittain even tho he keeps bashing up our boys! He'd do big money if he signed for Warren
Fair enough about the cricket then,... it's an England/Australia thing,,..... we like the Scots EVEN more but,..... lol.......... I agree about Katsides treatment,... boxing is in the doldrums here and it's just apathy,.. Katsides the great,.... great to watch,.... He should have more standing here, that's for sure.

Pastrano
08-11-2011, 08:09 AM

Are there any famous Aussie Scots in boxing then?Lol. We can't count Angus and Malcolm Young.:D I always thought that was one of the coolest things you can be, an Aussie Scot.:biggthump

McGoorty
08-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Are there any famous Aussie Scots in boxing then?Lol. We can't count Angus and Malcolm Young.:D I always thought that was one of the coolest things you can be, an Aussie Scot.:biggthump
Ex Australian champion George Barnes may have had Scottish roots,.. I ain't sure but,........ ... Angus and Bon weren't the first big name Aussie-Scots,,.. That was the Easybeats,..... with Angus n' Malcolm's brother George Young,,, great bands.

Brother Jay
08-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Kostya Tszyu was one of the greatest talents in the sport. Many people don't remember that Tszyu was a defensive whiz in the amateurs. His style was completely different as a pro.

The blessing and the curse was that Tszyu found out early on that he had dynamite in both fists. Once Tszyu found out that he could blast his opponents into defeat, he just about completely abandoned his defensive prowess.

History will view Kostya Tszyu as great fighter and the ruler of the 140lb division. The only problem with that is he faced few notables.

The best that Tszyu beat was Roger Mayweather, a faded Julio Cesar Chavez and an up and coming Zab Judah.

No one can question the man's talent or his incredible ability to finish. Its legendary. However his career was not one of great accomplishments. That is a sad fact, but a true one. His record is impressive, but the level of competition that he dominated throughout his career is not.

Kostya Tszyu could have and should have been one of the greatest jrWW of all time, but talent and punching power alone do not make for a great legacy. He is in the same boat as Mike Tyson. Two awesome forces of nature in the sport who never quite lived up to their potential, but fans will remember how formidable they were in their primes.

He's a HOF'er for sure, but he is not a candidate for the greatest 140lb legacy.

I'm such a fan of Tszyu that I wish I could say more about his career, but it is what it is. Great talent with a lackluster career.

The Surgeon
08-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Fair enough about the cricket then,... it's an England/Australia thing,,..... we like the Scots EVEN more but,..... lol.......... I agree about Katsides treatment,... boxing is in the doldrums here and it's just apathy,.. Katsides the great,.... great to watch,.... He should have more standing here, that's for sure. Katsidis was a good lookin young guy (he's getting a bit on the rough side now after all his wars tho lol) charismatic and all entertainment in the ring along with being a classy and humble bloke outside it but he dont get the love? Then uve got a plonker like Mundine who is treated far better tho he is far less entertaining, i dont get it!?

Im hoping Mike can come again, it will be sad if he never wins a real title. My heart went out to him when he lost to Guerrero and gave that interview about his bruv... Stick em in with John Murray or Bam Bam Rios and uve got urself another classic!

McGoorty
08-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Katsidis was a good lookin young guy (he's getting a bit on the rough side now after all his wars tho lol) charismatic and all entertainment in the ring along with being a classy and humble bloke outside it but he dont get the love? Then uve got a plonker like Mundine who is treated far better tho he is far less entertaining, i dont get it!?

Im hoping Mike can come again, it will be sad if he never wins a real title. My heart went out to him when he lost to Guerrero and gave that interview about his bruv... Stick em in with John Murray or Bam Bam Rios and uve got urself another classic!
Yeah, it's a pity,... Katsides is twice as good as that fool Mundine,... The only reason That Anthony got all the noise was because of his loud mouth only,,,,,. it all started when he couldn't make it ahead of the great Brad Fittler as Five/Eighth for the Kangaroo's Rugby League team,.... and he spat his dummy, thumbed his nose at the game that had made him a star. So he upped it and went to boxing, saying he was the "Man",.... lol..... and he also said that he was "THE GREATEST ATHLETE IN THE HISTORY Of The WORLD", and called us racists as well !!!!!!,...... lol,...Then BEFORE even His FIRST Proffessional FIGHT,.... he said he was also the "GREATEST BOXER TO EVER LIVE", I just L.O.L. at that,..................... You should have seen the BVMS he fought,...... a pathetic joke,........... he was a better 5/8th ............L.O.L.......L.O.L.

Rspen46
06-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Tszyu is definitely top 5 all time JWW & maybe top 3 & anyone can argue & could be right if they picked him #1 he had the power & size Arguello did not to beat Pryor, which I think he might have, & maybe Duran beats him if Duran had stopped at JWW, Cervantes might pull out a close decision, & Loi also might get a decision, but that's it, I can't see any other JWW challenging him for the top 3 or higher, he beat an undefeated Chavez, & yes he is HOF & an All-time great.