View Full Version : whos better Ali or Marcianno?

gogan
12-14-2004, 11:01 PM
who is better off? Rocky marcianno for holding the heavyweight championship without being beaten or Ali for fighting amazing fighters and claiming the titles 3 times?

whats your appionion?

grayfist
12-15-2004, 06:56 AM
A prime Ali and a prime Marciano?

I think the best reference is the Marciano-Moore fight. Marciano was fighting an Archie that was way past his prime, yet... oh well, the fight is classified as a classic.

While Archie is considered as one of history's biggest punchers (141 career KOs, the most by any fighter in history) and Ali is not, Archie, when he met Marciano, was pretty old and has had tons of fights at Lheavy where he dominated for 9 years and 2 months-- the longest reign in that division and 2nd only to Joe Louis' over-all. His meeting with Marciano was his 176th fight! He was floored by Marciano 5 times, including the last in the 9th when the fight ended. But he got to Marciano too! Marciano went down in the 2nd.

That Moore fight was Rocky's 49th consecutive win, without a single loss, and was his last.

Between Rocky and Ali? I'll pick Ali. :o

Ivansmamma
12-15-2004, 06:30 PM
Ali is to great. Ali found ways to win long past his prime, and fought great opposition. Almost All Marciano's great opponents were over the hill when he fought them

K-Yo
12-15-2004, 07:46 PM
i love the way marciano fought, but i think ali was more well rounded.

Kid Achilles
12-16-2004, 12:48 AM
I am probably the biggest Marciano fan on this forum and I would say Ali was greater and beat the better fighters. I still think the Brockton Blockbuster would have had an excellent chance in a head to head fight, but in terms of accomplishments Ali wins.

Mr. Violence
12-16-2004, 01:48 AM
ali for me

MOBs_finest
12-16-2004, 04:06 PM
Everybody can argue, but you have to focus on the strong points of these two fighters! Without them boxing wouldn't be what it is today. Marciano with his toughness and ability to take a punch still inspires fighters today! And Ali with his great ability athletically and charisma. Both were liked but you can't compare the two it is all specualation if you are to say which one is greatest! They were both great champions, there are great qoutes all over the board, just leave what people think about who was the greatest of all time. we all have our own opinions. :D :eek:

Atwa_66
12-16-2004, 05:54 PM
I would have to say Marciano, but like everyone said, both of them have their strong points, Marciano strong, undefeated as a champion, and determined. While Ali was fast, ****y, and held the belt 3 times. Both were amazing boxers, and molding boxing to what it is today

The Italian Stallion
12-16-2004, 07:49 PM
I've seen alot of Ali's matches, i've also seen about 10 of Marcianno matches. In my opinion Marcianno couldn't fight in Ali's level

Xecutioner
12-17-2004, 12:49 AM
undefeated, defeated shouldnt matter. let marciano fight all of alis fights up to foreman you still think hed retire undefeated? theyre both great and have their strong points, i just think ali has a lot more of them :D marciano is definately one of my all time favorite heavyweights, behind joe frazier.

Tyson_Bit_Holyfields_Ear
12-19-2004, 02:59 AM
Definately Ali.

gogan
12-19-2004, 01:32 PM
i just thought id ask around but i agree with all of you who said that.....

gogan
12-19-2004, 01:32 PM
ali is the greatest

gogan
12-19-2004, 01:33 PM
and always will be

cms
12-19-2004, 02:13 PM
I would say ali was best but i remember from when ali got his title stripped of him they did a simulation fight between him and marciano and marciano got like a ko in the 7th or 8th i think :S

trephination
12-25-2004, 10:52 PM
as much as i like marciano noone could have touched ali in his prime

buff_mike10
01-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Muhammad Ali was a better boxer, perhaps the best. Marciano would have hung in there and knocked his out out though. With Rocks chin and power he would win. Thats why he was undefeated.

Floydmayweather
01-11-2005, 11:56 PM
Ali could take Marcianos punch. A prime Ali would use his reach and speed to put a more hurting on the rock before knocking him out.

wmute
01-12-2005, 04:30 AM
the father of all fantasy fights!

I don't know... I like boxers and Ali is the king of the dancers in the heavyweights, on the other hand Marciano was a human machine, kinda like tyson, a little less power, a little less head movement, but a landslide of heart and determination more.

I don't know... no KO on any side, due to their chins, maybe ali can stop marciano on cuts, maybe ha can decision him thanks to his combination of footspeed and longer reach. Or maybe the relentless pressure would neutralize the speed and get to the point of frustrate Ali (?!) and get rocky the decision.

A comparison with the frazier fights would not be fair to ali, bcos he was past his prime in every frazier fight. But it would not be fair to Marciano who used a better right than frazier

HELL, I DON'T KNOW

rudy
01-12-2005, 07:32 AM
This is simple Marciano never ever defended the Heavyweight title simple.

ophqui
01-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Honestly, i find ali annoying both as a boxer and as a person. I'm talking about the islamic militant version of ali, not the newer, more peaceful version. As a boxer he was a soft, flurry puncher, which doesnt make for a good looking fight, how ever effective he thought it was.
Marciano on the other hand was a better all round boxer imo. He never had the opponents ali had, but thats just unfortunate timing really. I think a prime marciano would beat a prime ali (in a real fight, not some weird ass digital fake thing)

Ivansmamma
01-12-2005, 06:25 PM
I don't think Marciano could catch Ali his footwork and speed was to great. If Marcianowould hit him with a good punchhe stillwouldn't be able to KO Ali. Ali would win by UD.

ShotgunSeanK
01-12-2005, 09:43 PM
i would go with the simulation and say k.o for rock in the later rounds

dodge
01-12-2005, 10:25 PM
I would love to see this fight simulated digitaly. Rock was great in his own right. 49-0

jayrichardse
01-31-2005, 12:57 AM
ali was better than rocky

ghostdancer
02-03-2005, 03:15 PM
it's a cert ali would not have done to marciano what he did to most of his opponents i'm not saying who would have won they fought at different erras in boxing

Floydmayweather
02-06-2005, 06:24 PM
ALi because he would use his reach and speed to bust the rock up. The rock would have to knock him out but i dont think he could do it. Yes, Ali has been knocked down before but he gets up. Frasier hit him with a punch that would leave most fighters on a strecher, Ali popped back up. Norton broke his jaw he keep going. Foreman hit him with everything and Ali just told him to hit harder.
Ali by late round Ko

elveiel
02-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Marciano would have beaten Ali, no doubts.

cms
02-06-2005, 07:28 PM
rocky was a small heavyweight. now a days he would be considered a cruiser weight , the rock wasnt even 200 and 201 is qualifing heavy weight. rocky didn't fight anyone he was in an eara of pure sluggers and he would not know what to do with a dance like ali.

Kid Achilles
02-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Actually that's completely false. When Marciano fought the skill level was much higher than the current division. Ezzard Charles, Archie Moore, Joe Louis (he was old and his handspeed was diminished but still had skills and power), Roland LaStarza (very good and slick defensive fighter) and Joe Walcott (the guy Ali got his shuffle from) were all extremely skilled and none of them could be called a slugger.

shaman2004
02-08-2005, 07:05 AM
rock marciano

Dynamite76
02-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Ali would beat Marciano. If the Rock was in Ali's division, his behind would have gotten eaten alive.

leff
02-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Ali would beat Marciano. If the Rock was in Ali's division, his behind would have gotten eaten alive.

Ali would jabb and dance but not even ali couldnt keep marciano`s pace so in the end he would have caught ali on the ropes and koed him.

Dynamite76
02-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Ali would jabb and dance but not even ali couldnt keep marciano`s pace so in the end he would have caught ali on the ropes and koed him.

I feel Ali could deal with this as well.He would have improvised enough to substain stamina to take Rock in the late rounds or decision him.

Floydmayweather
02-11-2005, 03:33 AM
I see it this way Ali fought bigger fighters and bigger punchers (shavers, foreman, frasier, norton etc) and would have to be koed. I see a slim chance of this happening so i gotta go with Ali. ;)

jabsRstiff
02-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Muhammad Ali, by a mile.

Ali has one of the best resumes in boxing history.
Marciano was undefeated, but his biggest wins came against fighters who were not in their primes.

buff_mike10
02-11-2005, 10:29 AM
Depends on if Marciano caught him or not, no way Ali could take a solid pounch from Rocky. Jersey Joe said he hit harder than Joe Louis

M26
02-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Very true. But I believe Ali would survive to win by UD. Still, a late Rocky victory by late ko/tko would not really surprise me. Ali could take one helluva punch, as he proved against Frazier, Foreman and Shavers, but the difference with Marciano is that he kept on coming like a human steamroller for the whole fight. He would certainly have a decent chance of catching Ali in the later rounds. No matter what, Ali would have to struggle to win. This would be no walkover.

jabsRstiff
02-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Depends on if Marciano caught him or not, no way Ali could take a solid pounch from Rocky. Jersey Joe said he hit harder than Joe Louis

Shavers, Foreman, Liston.....****, even Ron Lyle.....hit harder than Marciano.

Ali could certainly take Marciano's best shot.

LuKahnLi
02-11-2005, 12:41 PM
That left hook from Frazier that Ali got floored with would have decapitated anyone else. But Ali got up.

Foreman couldn't hurt a PAST HIS PRIME ALI. How the hell is Marciano going to hurt a prime Ali?

Marciano is good in his own right, but he has NOTHING on Ali.

paulmmv
02-11-2005, 12:52 PM
they had a computer fight between the two where marcianno finally knocked him out in the 13th round

elveiel
02-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Marciano was better than Ali, simple as.

buff_mike10
02-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Shavers, Foreman, Liston.....****, even Ron Lyle.....hit harder than Marciano.

Ali could certainly take Marciano's best shot.
HAHAHA, if that was the case why is Rock the only one that was an undefeated heavyweight?

Dynamite76
02-13-2005, 04:58 PM
HAHAHA, if that was the case why is Rock the only one that was an undefeated heavyweight?

Because he didn't fight Ali's competition.

elveiel
02-13-2005, 07:35 PM
Because he didn't fight Ali's competition.

It was an overated era, there were some good fighters but too many people think they were all perfect fighting machines.

Floydmayweather
02-13-2005, 09:35 PM
ALi would stop Marciano he walked straight foward. Ali would use his speed and jab to cut him down. The rock would not knock him out. If he did knockdown Ali he would get up.

xrhythmxnxbluesx
02-13-2005, 09:58 PM
ali will kill him with his boxing skills.. rocky juss goes straight forward.. and ali will juss side step and hit em...

stix
02-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Apples and oranges. In their own time, they were both the greatest.

oldgringo
02-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Ali was better.

stix
02-13-2005, 11:47 PM
Yeah.....He was better. He definitely had more skills. Rocky was :cool: and unrelenting, always lookin' for the big knockout punch. Rocky would have had a real hard time with Ali's jab.

Fallout
02-14-2005, 01:29 AM
who is better off? Rocky marcianno for holding the heavyweight championship without being beaten or Ali for fighting amazing fighters and claiming the titles 3 times?

whats your appionion?

Ali, because of the fact we are even talking about it. Ali's best years were wiped out because he didn't want to fight in a war he didn't belive in. Thoses 3 years he lost would of been his best. No one would of been able to touch him.

The fact that you can take thoses years away and Ali still looks slightly better is a huge statment.

m00ks
02-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Ali fo sho. Marciano was tough but Ali had better skills.

Kid Achilles
02-15-2005, 07:42 PM
People like to argue that Ali lost his best years because of the war but Marciano did not even START boxing until he was 22 years old. He was in his physical prime when he was just learning how to throw a good punch. By the time he had developed into a skilled slugger, his physical prime had begun to fade. If Marciano had started boxing at 13 like Ali, he would have been much, much better at his fighting style. No one ever talks about that.

Imira
02-15-2005, 10:56 PM
I don't see any situation where either one of these guys get KO'd, but, if I had to choose a winner I'd go with Ali. He had all the tools to frustrate Rocky's style.

adeelr
02-16-2005, 02:37 AM
Marciano didnt fight as much as Ali did, Ali has been proven in every state of the ring, Marciano was undefeated and all that but Ali would have taken him apart with ease, A prime Ali is unbeatable, ppl say joe louis would have taken Ali, but when you really think about it you'll see that no one matches the skill and science that Ali possesed.

ZEZ
02-16-2005, 04:29 AM
My Fellow-fans ,all Of You Are Wrong.choosing Ali Is Wrong.remember Marciano's Fights? He Only Stopped Fighting Coz He's Already Dead & That His Power Impact As That Of A Horse.agree Me Or Disagree.

Eken
02-16-2005, 08:13 AM
whos better Ali or Marcianno? Muhammad Ali without a doubt!

realtim
02-16-2005, 10:02 AM
I would of been a good fight thats for sure swarmer versus boxer always makes for a great fighter. But to say Ali would have an easy time of it is laughable Rocky would have been there to the end. Ali probably would have prevailed but thats no shame.
Please stop using the word unbeatable in any of these threads actually dont use it in the whole forum.

Rcar
02-16-2005, 02:16 PM
Alis got it by a hair...too many great fights from both though.

Imira
02-18-2005, 03:08 AM
My Fellow-fans ,all Of You Are Wrong.choosing Ali Is Wrong.remember Marciano's Fights? He Only Stopped Fighting Coz He's Already Dead & That His Power Impact As That Of A Horse.agree Me Or Disagree.

I agree that Rocky had power. But power alone is not enough to win fights. Do you agree with me?

elveiel
02-18-2005, 07:58 AM
I agree that Rocky had power. But power alone is not enough to win fights. Do you agree with me?

Rocky had a lot more than just power, he was a methodical stalker who patiently waited for the right shots. He'd easily cut the ring down and expose Ali's overated defence and skill.

delaboxeo
02-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Its a close one, but I'm going to have to go w/ Ali.

leff
02-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Marciano by ko in the late rounds.

Ali will dance and jab, and bust the rock upp bad, but wont be able too keep the pace.

So ali will eventually tire, get caught in the ropes and get ko`ed.

Lordy
02-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Ali by points after tasting the canvas.

biffuk
10-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Everyone knows that both fighters are legendary.

However, styles make fights.

Ali the genius boxer vs Marciano the brutal slugger.

People have compared Fraziers style to Marciano.
Ali struggled to cope with Frazier.

Marciano stuggled with tall men having to take 2 or 3 shots to land.

However, if Marciano had fought Ali, Marciano would have gone to Ali's arms with ruthless intention.
Ali would need to get Marciano out early on cuts if he was to win.

No one can take someone constantly beating on your arms for 6 or 7 rounds without it having some effect on your punch or your ability to cover up.
No fighter ever attacked ali in this way Foreman went to the body and in all honesty made a fool of himself by not giving a great fighter the respect he deserved.

I think it would be down to who got the first break, eoither ali would cut Marciano or Marciano would batter him into submission.

It's too close to call for these 2 great fighters. :D

biffuk
10-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Everyone knows that both fighters are legendary.

However, styles make fights.

Ali the genius boxer vs Marciano the brutal slugger.

People have compared Fraziers style to Marciano.
Ali struggled to cope with Frazier.

Marciano stuggled with tall men having to take 2 or 3 shots to land.

However, if Marciano had fought Ali, Marciano would have gone to Ali's arms with ruthless intention.
Ali would need to get Marciano out early on cuts if he was to win.

No one can take someone constantly beating on your arms for 6 or 7 rounds without it having some effect on your punch or your ability to guard.
No fighter ever attacked ali in this way Foreman went to the body and in all honesty made a fool of himself by not giving a great fighter the respect he deserved.

I think it would be down to who got the first break, eoither ali would cut Marciano or Marciano would batter him into submission.

It's too close to call for these 2 great fighters. :D

chopper77
10-12-2005, 12:49 PM
I think if Ali held off a pursuing Frazier, especially in # 3, he would be able to hold off Rocky. If Ali fought like the third Frazier fight then it's the same ending. Ali stops Rocky on either cuts, or just beats him up to where he can't continue.

Warhawk46
10-12-2005, 02:34 PM
I see this as going two ways...

Either Muhammed Ali wins on cuts in the mid rounds, or Marciano wins via KO in the late rounds.

Too many people say a Prime Ali was untouchable; this is not true. In fact, I just watched a fight where Ali was visibly shaken on a couple occasions versus Doug Jones. Who can forget his fight against Henry Cooper? He very well might have lost that fight if not for Dundee's corner tactics.

Marciano was certainly less skilled athletically. However, to say he was not as skilled in the ring might not be entirely true. He fought exactly how he needed to fight to be effective. Ali, on the other hand, fought a very effective way in his own right.

People can claim Ali would have danced circles around Marciano (or Tyson or Frazier for that matter) but the fact is that he was not able to dance "circles around his opponents" all the time. I feel that Marciano's pressure might get to Ali and where him out. It's very possible. Plus, the fact that pressure fighters often fair well against someone who pulls back (Ali) bodes well.

In any case, it could go either way. Ali by cuts or Marciano by KO. Either fighter might have won a decision as well. A good fight.

M26
10-12-2005, 04:18 PM
My favorite fighter of all time is Rocky "The Brockton Blockbuster" Marciano. A great fighter. Tough as they come, tremendous power, incredible stamina and a solid chin. The way he overcame his shortcomings to become the only undefeated champion in history, is nothing if not impressive!

How ever, I would have to go with Ali in this one. Marciano would give him hell, but a prime Ali had all the tools he needed to defeat almost anyone. He would be too fast for Marciano to handle.

Ali had trouble against fighters who applied pressure, and Marciano would make this a brutal war. But I can see Ali surviving. After all, he survived the merciless attack from Frazier, and Frazier applied more pressure than did Marciano, and he had faster hands on the inside. Plus, Ali was not in his prime against Frazier. The Ali that defeated Cleveland Williams and Zora Foley would have handled Frazier better, and would also have defeated Marciano in my opinion.

Muhammad Ali by UD (or by cut - Marciano cut easy, and Alis rapid strikes would make this a likely outcome as well).

M26
10-12-2005, 04:21 PM
I am how ever not convinced that the older version of Ali would have beaten Marciano. After his comeback, his legs were gone. And he would need his legs to survive against Marciano. If he went to the ropes like he did against Foreman, he would be in trouble. Marciano never tired and would punish Ali bad.

Rocky Marciano by late tko or decision.

snap the jab
10-12-2005, 07:01 PM
I think that Ali was a much better all-around fighter but that Marciano could have beaten Ali if they had been contemporaries and had fought one another, since Ali always had trouble with really tough, hard-hitting pressure fighters (like Frazier) and that's what Marciano was...

Warhawk46
10-12-2005, 10:56 PM
I am not in the majority here, but I actually think the Ali who fought against Frazier and Foreman would have been better able to beat Marciano. This Ali was much smarter and fought much better competition. He also was larger, stronger.

The 60s Ali was more fleet-foated; he kept up the dancing longer. However, he could be hit. To say that he was untouchable is dead wrong. In fact, Prime Tyson was harder to hit cleanly...and he fought better fighters than Prime Ali. Prime Ali was caught a few times, knocked down a couple times. He was visibly wobbled early in the fight against Doug Jones. He was knocked down against Henry Cooper (he might have lost that fight if Dundee didnt rip his glove).

However, he might decision Marciano, or most likely stop him on cuts. Marciano did cut easily. The thing was the refs knew he did and knew he could take the cuts and perform.

In this one it would depend on the referee and doctor. Otherwise, I could see Ali by decison or Marciano by late TKO.

tommyhearns804
10-13-2005, 01:27 AM
Let's give Marciano alot of credit.He was a 180 pound fighter who fought 180 pound fighters and because of his skin color he is known as one of the best heavyweights of all time.But if you just read what i said you will realize Marciano was a small cruiserweight.Besides the fact the man never fought heavyweights Marciano also ducked any black fighter who could beat him unless they were pushing 40 or had more than 10 loses.
That should be enough to show sane boxing fans that he wasn't a much of a fighter and wasn't a great heavyweight period since he wasn't a heavyweight.Marciano was unskilled...If you want to talk about a fighter being slow then watch Marciano fight.You would think a 180 pound fighter would have some hand speed but Marciano was probably the slowest fighter who ever won a piece of any title.But again since he is white his talents are overrated.
Don't give me this bullshyt about this has nothing to do with race.You put Marciano up because he is white period.If Marciano was a black man or a mexican man or a puerto rican man you would be logical and say the man was small and never fought heavyweights so he isn't a heavyweight.The only thing Marciano proved in his career was if you are white people will worship you like you are god regardless of your skill level.
Forget the fact Ali is better Tyson is better,Foreman,Bowe,Lewis,Frazier,Norton,Holmes,Qu arry,Shavers,
Lyle,Vitali and Wladamir Klitckho,Peter,Ibeabuchi,Tua,Morrison,Bruno,Dougla s,Michael Grant ect ect ect ect ect ect are better than him.The only differce is most of the guys i named are black and all of them besides Ibeabuchi have a lost on their record because they actaully fought other 200 pound plus heavyweights.
Ali fought virtually every top fighter he could fight.Sure Norton beat him 3 times and a prime Frazier beat him.Sure Young,Shavers and Spinks beat the tar out of Ali but got robbed but at least he fought them.If you are a fan of boxing and not a fan of a skin color then you know Ali is superior to Marciano in every way.This is from a man who hates Ali's guts but unlike you people I am not blinded by stupidity.If a fighter is better than another then he is better.If Marciano fighting 180 pound white fighters and ducking every black fighter who was in their primes means Marciano is overrated and not a heavyweight great then he isnt.Just live with it morons.

hellfire508
10-13-2005, 02:28 AM
"Greatness" has alot to do with opposition. Ali may have lossed more than Marciano, however, he beat MUCH better opposition, than any fighter in history, in any weight class. He beat 3 top 10 heavyweights in: Foreman, Frazier, Liston a total of 5 times. He beat other greats such as Ken Norton, Floyd Patterson, Cleveland Williams, Zora Folley, Ernie Terrell, George Chuvalo, Ron Lyle, Eanrie Shavers, Jerry Quarry, Oscar Bonanvena, Jimmy young, Henry Cooper...etc etc.

I think, that his resume alone puts Ali at number 1 in the ATG list. As the saying goes..."You show me someone who is undefeated, and ill show you someone who hasnt fought anybody." This doesnt apply so much to the Rock, because he beat the likes of Walcott, Charles and Moore. However, the overall resume just isnt the same. the era was weak in comparison to the 60s-70s.

hellfire508
10-13-2005, 02:31 AM
I think that Ali was a much better all-around fighter but that Marciano could have beaten Ali if they had been contemporaries and had fought one another, since Ali always had trouble with really tough, hard-hitting pressure fighters (like Frazier) and that's what Marciano was...

Actually, that is not the type of fighter Ali struggled with. He struggled with fighters who applied a lot of pressure, crowding his style, and had a very strong lead jab, to get them inside. Frazier was an exception. Ali would have beaten Frazier easier in the late 60s, with his speed. Norton's style was the one that really gave Ali fits. Marciano applied the pressure, but IMO didn't have the jab required to back it up. He had a jab, yes, but it wasnt like a Holmes or nNorton jab that troubled Ali.

In a head to head matchup, I would pick Ali over any heavyweight in history, and i can see him stopping Marciano on cuts, or by a wide decision.

marvdave
10-13-2005, 04:38 AM
Ali wins an easy decision....I love the rock, but he couldn't do anything against Ali.....I don't care what the computer says

J !
10-13-2005, 07:29 AM
jesus its not even a close comparison Marciano along with dempsety are two of the most over ratd heavyweight greats in history.

Im not saying they werent good but **** me you take a close look at the careers of both and you will realise, that Marciano may have been undefeated but fought bums for 80 percent of his career, Demspey never fought the best coloured fighters out there and got beat by naturally much lighter man in Tunney twice.

Always makes me larf that folk condemn the likes of lewis then completely **** themsleves over by having the likes of Demspey and MArciano in the top ten.

based on errr ..well what everyone else says, what a bunch of sheep. :rolleyes:

Marciano while unbeaten only had 7 fights at world champ level his boggest win being against an ancient Joe Louis an ancient Jersey Joe and an even more ancient Ezzard charles, then he took on Don ****ell who was British level at best and got dunmped by 410 year old Mongoose in the second before managing to win, i mean come on talk about fighters being over the hill MArciano got em all at the right time. Charles, Louis and Moore at their peak kick the **** out of marciano. If you actually look at Marciano's record its piss ****ing poor.

Dempsey avoided all the decent coloured opposition and got beat up by an ex middleweight in Tunney.

kapersky
10-14-2005, 02:25 PM
this thread prove how overrated and how blinded marcianos fans is.
he was champion for like 3-4 years and defeated those or where wasted up and had a lot of losses(prove they been beated before) did marciano beat anyone with fraziers or foremans skills? stop lying to youself. he is definetly on top10 thanks to his era and merit. we have seen guy like him many times but they just didnt had thy luck to fight opponent like marciano.i have seen like 10 of marcianos fights. i couldnt see any solid jabs like holmes, or going distance, it was pure streetfighting. no skills or anything. lewis,holmes and ali they had good jab and would go distance and eventually blow marciano up.

Dempsey 1919
10-25-2005, 03:25 PM
Are you seroius? That should not even be a question. Marciano in his prime couldn't beat Ali in his prime for mainly one reason. He wouldn't be able to hit him. That is why no body in Ali's prime could have beat him. The guy was too fast. At that time he didn't need to learn to take a punch. Ali's left jab was the only thing Rocky would see.

Another thing I might add is that Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay) was 6' 3 1/2", 210lbs., and had an 83 inch reach(the longest reach of all great boxing champs in history). Rocky Marciano was 5' 10", 185lbs. and had a 67 inch reach lol! On paper that fight would look like a joke!

jekdempxy
10-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Of Kourse Marciano is better man.Didnīt u see the komputer fight???A guy that was a sample of Marciano (Joe Frazier) beat Ali`s but!!!Why kompare them???Do u think Ali with all bobin and weavin could take the most powerfull boxer of all time??? :boxing:

jekdempxy
10-25-2005, 05:55 PM
Let's give Marciano alot of credit.He was a 180 pound fighter who fought 180 pound fighters and because of his skin color he is known as one of the best heavyweights of all time.But if you just read what i said you will realize Marciano was a small cruiserweight.Besides the fact the man never fought heavyweights Marciano also ducked any black fighter who could beat him unless they were pushing 40 or had more than 10 loses.
That should be enough to show sane boxing fans that he wasn't a much of a fighter and wasn't a great heavyweight period since he wasn't a heavyweight.Marciano was unskilled...If you want to talk about a fighter being slow then watch Marciano fight.You would think a 180 pound fighter would have some hand speed but Marciano was probably the slowest fighter who ever won a piece of any title.But again since he is white his talents are overrated.
Don't give me this bullshyt about this has nothing to do with race.You put Marciano up because he is white period.If Marciano was a black man or a mexican man or a puerto rican man you would be logical and say the man was small and never fought heavyweights so he isn't a heavyweight.The only thing Marciano proved in his career was if you are white people will worship you like you are god regardless of your skill level.
Forget the fact Ali is better Tyson is better,Foreman,Bowe,Lewis,Frazier,Norton,Holmes,Qu arry,Shavers,
Lyle,Vitali and Wladamir Klitckho,Peter,Ibeabuchi,Tua,Morrison,Bruno,Dougla s,Michael Grant ect ect ect ect ect ect are better than him.The only differce is most of the guys i named are black and all of them besides Ibeabuchi have a lost on their record because they actaully fought other 200 pound plus heavyweights.
Ali fought virtually every top fighter he could fight.Sure Norton beat him 3 times and a prime Frazier beat him.Sure Young,Shavers and Spinks beat the tar out of Ali but got robbed but at least he fought them.If you are a fan of boxing and not a fan of a skin color then you know Ali is superior to Marciano in every way.This is from a man who hates Ali's guts but unlike you people I am not blinded by stupidity.If a fighter is better than another then he is better.If Marciano fighting 180 pound white fighters and ducking every black fighter who was in their primes means Marciano is overrated and not a heavyweight great then he isnt.Just live with it morons.U are right in some aspekts, but u make me laugh.Do u think Marciano needed more speed???Bahahaha!!!For what??Running skared like Ali??Marciano dont needed speed bekause with is power he knoked every one that he wanted!!!! :D

Dempsey 1919
10-25-2005, 06:09 PM
jekdempxy, you are blinded by the undefeated record? Ali would have been undefeated also if the army didn't strip him of his title and banned his license. He lost his speed not because of his old age but because of his inactivity. Ali would have been just as fast in 1971 when he fought Frazier, as in 1967, and a heck of alot stronger (as he was stronger in 1971 anyway) if he was boxing straight from 1960 up to that point.

jekdempxy
10-25-2005, 06:18 PM
jekdempxy, you are blinded by the undefeated record? Ali would have been undefeated also if the army didn't strip him of his title and banned his license. He lost his speed not because of his old age but because of his inactivity. Ali would have been just as fast in 1971 when he fought Frazier, as in 1967, and a heck of alot stronger (as he was stronger in 1971 anyway) if he was boxing straight from 1960 up to that point.Nope, im not blinded!!And u may put the best Ali with the worse Marciano that was still the same!!!!Marciano is the greatest of all times. :boxing:

+= El Jefe=+
10-25-2005, 06:19 PM

whats your appionion?
i think it would help if you could spell
Marciano's name correctly.

to answer you Ali was a better boxer
Marciano had alot of power though.

Dempsey 1919
10-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Jekdempxy, Marciano couldn't hold Ali's jock strap. In terms of dimensions Ali's six-three 210 frame has it all over Marciano's five-ten 185 sorry state of a human being.

jekdempxy
10-25-2005, 07:56 PM
Jekdempxy, Marciano couldn't hold Ali's jock strap. In terms of dimensions Ali's six-three 210 frame has it all over Marciano's five-ten 185 sorry state of a human being.In one poin u are right, but power kounts a lot in Heavyweight division, and Ali lacked that. :boxing:

Dempsey 1919
10-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Ali had some power, not like Marciano, but you say Marciano didn't need speed. The fact is Ali didn't need power. IF YOU CAN'T HIT SOMEBODY, IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MUCH POWER YOU HAVE! Ali would hit Marciano all day with that left jab. Not that much power, but over a period of time Marciano would have worn down and been knocked out. Look what Clay did to Liston in their first fight. And Liston would have murdered Marciano.

frankenfrank
02-04-2010, 01:31 PM
h2h - a close contest - i'd give ali a better chance against superheavyweights but i will also give marciano a good chance against ali himself.
p4p - marciano clearly as he dominated bigger men as opposed to ali who struggled against smaller men (frazier , doug jones , michael spinks)

hhascup
02-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Of Kourse Marciano is better man.Didnīt u see the komputer fight???A guy that was a sample of Marciano (Joe Frazier) beat Ali`s but!!!Why kompare them???Do u think Ali with all bobin and weavin could take the most powerfull boxer of all time??? :boxing:

The computer had Rocky knocking out Ali in the 13th round.

Here's all you need to know about computer fights. In September of 1970, they used the same computer that produced the Marciano-Ali fight to pick the winner of the Joe Frazier vs. Bob Foster heavyweight title fight in November of 1970. The computer picked Foster to stop Frazier in the sixth round. Since Frazier knocked Foster out in the second round, the computer could not have been more wrong. In fact, Frazier hit Foster so hard that he injured his ankle while he was going down.

GJC
02-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Whose the best, Ali by a long margin. Who is on Marciano's resume that a Joe Frazier couldn't beat, nobody IMO.
That said a fight between the 2 of them in Marciano's era, laxer refereeing (no stoppage on cuts and a blind eye to the Rock's more creative tricks) , small ring etc Marciano could really take Ali to hell.
The fight will last 15 I can't see either knocking the other out.
Marciano had phenominal stamina, no resting for Ali on the ropes against him.
Marciano had a great chin I think Ali could keep him honest with cuts (which wouldnt be such a factor in Marciano's era) but I don't think he would have the power to force Marciano back. So Ali needs to put shot run keep on his toes for 15 rounds.
I favour Ali but in a series of 10 fights I see Marciano having some success in a couple of them.