View Full Version : spar anyone famous?

boxstarr
08-25-2005, 05:42 PM
when discussing gyms, i discovered that the mackenzies own a lot of the gyms i was considering

i have since joined exig3s gym instead

apparently a woman i worked with also worked for winston

when i told my parents they told me that my uncle went to school with and used to spar with clinton

any of you have spar with famous ppl???

EXIGE
08-25-2005, 06:56 PM
when discussing gyms, i discovered that the mackenzies own a lot of the gyms i was considering

i have since joined exig3s gym instead

apparently a woman i worked with also worked for winston

when i told my parents they told me that my uncle went to school with and used to spar with clinton

any of you have spar with famous ppl???
I believe JuyJuy has.

spinksjinx
08-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Verquan Kimbrough
Tony Tubbs
Craig Weber

EXIGE
08-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Verquan Kimbrough
Tony Tubbs
Craig Weber
Tell us a bit about each of them. What are they like. Who was the best. How did u get to trian with them. Blah blah.

Tony Blitz
08-25-2005, 07:28 PM
Verquan Kimbrough
Tony Tubbs
Craig Weber
I thought you were lightweight? :confused:

spinksjinx
08-25-2005, 07:35 PM
Verquan Kimbrough- Very fast like lightning, he came into the gym I train at one afternoon looking to get some sparring partners for one of his fights. When he came in I was in awe of him, because I have seen him fight before and seen what he brought. So I asked him for a few rounds and he agreed. Mind you I am an amateur....We ended up sparring 3x3minute rounds. From the beginning I said I wanted to see his best and he just came out charging against me and hit me with just about every clean shot possible. I wasnt able to back him up or throw him off of his game plan...It looked like easy work for him but he just blistered my ass and put me on my seat a few times....I dont recall ever being hit that fast and catching another punch within the same second...At least it felt that way.

Tony Tubbs-Tubbs is friends with the head owner as well as with my father and when he was training for his fight against Minto he stopped by a few weeks before to speak to the kids. At the end everyone in the gym that day was granted a minute in the ring with Mr. Tubbs. I wouldnt even really call it a sparring session you could tell he was holding back but mainly pawing and was lethargic....He hit me most definately and I gave him to much respect and just smacked some shots off of his headgear and hit the body...Nothing dominating but I mean he wasnt there to be serious...

Craig Weber- Same as Verquan came in looking for sparring partners. I sparred 2 rounds with him (he sparred 8 that day) and I was 2nd in line. For the most part I was able to land the shots as long as I moved afterwards with quickness. He backed me into the ropes and landed some shots I ducked and got him off and threw an uppercut that landed flush and he bit his tongue and was like "damn"...But for the most part I pot shotted and he pushed me up and hit my body a few times....

Another fighter I had sparred with was Brian Minto.

Everytime I sparred one of these guys, I gave them respect because they earned it and I am not there to be an ass hat but to learn and be grateful for the opportunity alone.

spinksjinx
08-25-2005, 07:38 PM
I thought you were lightweight? :confused:

I am a flyweight/Bantamweight....

Verquan-Featherweight
Tubbs-Heavyweight
Weber-Super Lightweight

c0pe
08-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Verquan Kimbrough- Very fast like lightning, he came into the gym I train at one afternoon looking to get some sparring partners for one of his fights. When he came in I was in awe of him, because I have seen him fight before and seen what he brought. So I asked him for a few rounds and he agreed. Mind you I am an amateur....We ended up sparring 3x3minute rounds. From the beginning I said I wanted to see his best and he just came out charging against me and hit me with just about every clean shot possible. I wasnt able to back him up or throw him off of his game plan...It looked like easy work for him but he just blistered my ass and put me on my seat a few times....I dont recall ever being hit that fast and catching another punch within the same second...At least it felt that way.

Tony Tubbs-Tubbs is friends with the head owner as well as with my father and when he was training for his fight against Minto he stopped by a few weeks before to speak to the kids. At the end everyone in the gym that day was granted a minute in the ring with Mr. Tubbs. I wouldnt even really call it a sparring session you could tell he was holding back but mainly pawing and was lethargic....He hit me most definately and I gave him to much respect and just smacked some shots off of his headgear and hit the body...Nothing dominating but I mean he wasnt there to be serious...

Craig Weber- Same as Verquan came in looking for sparring partners. I sparred 2 rounds with him (he sparred 8 that day) and I was 2nd in line. For the most part I was able to land the shots as long as I moved afterwards with quickness. He backed me into the ropes and landed some shots I ducked and got him off and threw an uppercut that landed flush and he bit his tongue and was like "damn"...But for the most part I pot shotted and he pushed me up and hit my body a few times....

Another fighter I had sparred with was Brian Minto.

Everytime I sparred one of these guys, I gave them respect because they earned it and I am not there to be an ass hat but to learn and be grateful for the opportunity alone.
Thanks for that, that was good to read about.

Inf3rn0
08-25-2005, 08:58 PM
iv sparred with a 36 yea old ammateur, well actually, one of my trainers, but he werent famous, i dont even know his name....
so no no1 famous....bit oh a pointless post rely, ah well..

boxstar when did u start egi's gym? did'nt hear bout that?

Inf3rn0
08-25-2005, 09:06 PM
you sparred a heavyweight!

and ur bantamweight...

c0pe
08-25-2005, 09:10 PM
you sparred a heavyweight!

and ur bantamweight...
Yeh but he said it was only like an easy going sparring session.

Inf3rn0
08-25-2005, 09:49 PM
...hmm..must have missread, soz.

spinksjinx
08-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Yeh but he said it was only like an easy going sparring session.

Yep under the circumstances he wasnt going to unleash, Tubbs is a better guy than that....But none the less an honor...

Also Minto was a dick and thought he was fighting me for cash...I have also sparred with Jeremy "The Beast" Bates...A victim of Mintos who is also a heavy....

I spar big guys because I am smallest fighter at my gym and everyone is ATLEAST 140....

EXIGE
08-25-2005, 10:54 PM
Yep under the circumstances he wasnt going to unleash, Tubbs is a better guy than that....But none the less an honor...

Also Minto was a dick and thought he was fighting me for cash...I have also sparred with Jeremy "The Beast" Bates...A victim of Mintos who is also a heavy....

I spar big guys because I am smallest fighter at my gym and everyone is ATLEAST 140....
Kool, in a way thats the best thing too.

spinksjinx
08-25-2005, 11:20 PM
Kool, in a way thats the best thing too.

It has its plus and negatives...The plus is it will make me stronger and not tire out as easy as I can endure more and the weight of a fighter my size will feel nothing like what I am use to. The negative is that I cant find sparring partners with the speed of other 112-118lb fighters.

rsl
08-26-2005, 12:10 AM
I haven't "sparred" w/ these 3 pro muay thai fighters but I've done simulated drills w/ these 2 american muay thai fighters Melchor Menor, the late Alex Gong and this Japanese guy I think his name was Masato or Sato. As far as boxers again it was the same thing I was just doing offensive and defensive drills the guy's name was Eddie Croft. All were very nice and hardworking fighters

spinksjinx
08-26-2005, 12:19 AM
I haven't "sparred" w/ these 3 pro muay thai fighters but I've done simulated drills w/ these 2 american muay thai fighters Melchor Menor, the late Alex Gong and this Japanese guy I think his name was Masato or Sato. As far as boxers again it was the same thing I was just doing offensive and defensive drills the guy's name was Eddie Croft. All were very nice and hardworking fighters

I give the most respect to Muay Thai and all MMA fighters, you all do some crazy ****...Noway in HELL would I be willing to take a bare knee to the nose....My hat is off to you.

Lucky466
08-26-2005, 01:12 AM
A guy who comes to our gym went to Oscar De La Hoya's training camp for the Hopkins fight. I would spar with that guy at least a couple of times a month. So its sort of like a friend of a friend.

phillyfighter21
08-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Meldrick Taylor
Buster Drayton

spinksjinx
08-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Meldrick Taylor
Buster Drayton

Prime or Busted??? Thats 2 different worlds right there lol.

phillyfighter21
08-26-2005, 10:12 AM
no ****. Buster Drayton after he was retired. Meldrick Taylor, he was in his prime but it was when I was 18 years old. He took it easy on me, to say the least.

Mel was unbeleivably fast. You see guys like him and Floyd Mayweather that are so fast but you don't really realize it until you are accually in the ring with them. It was probably my most humbling experience in the fight game. He had deceiving power too. He was a true warrior and a class act. It was an honor to be in the ring with him. It's a shame what has happened to him. I saw a more recent interview with him on a Legendary Nights HBO special about the Chavez fight. His mind has really turned to mush.

spinksjinx
08-26-2005, 10:17 AM
no ****. Buster Drayton after he was retired. Meldrick Taylor, he was in his prime but it was when I was 18 years old. He took it easy on me, to say the least.

I imagine a prime Taylors easiest was none the less still pure hell.

boxer2k5
08-26-2005, 01:39 PM
i sparred myself when shadow boxing

EXIGE
08-26-2005, 01:43 PM
i sparred myself when shadow boxing
Shots landed?

boxstarr
08-26-2005, 05:30 PM
iv sparred with a 36 yea old ammateur, well actually, one of my trainers, but he werent famous, i dont even know his name....
so no no1 famous....bit oh a pointless post rely, ah well..

boxstar when did u start egi's gym? did'nt hear bout that?

this week cos was lookin around for closer gyms but only one still around was bout worst u can imagine

boxstarr
08-26-2005, 05:31 PM
I give the most respect to Muay Thai and all MMA fighters, you all do some crazy ****...Noway in HELL would I be willing to take a bare knee to the nose....My hat is off to you.

yaeh i was gonna start but it looks like most painful thing man can do

cauliflower ears like a burns victim

spinksjinx
08-26-2005, 06:30 PM

That is just the tip of the iceberg and is a "normal" injury in that sport like a broken nose in boxing...*ouch*

EXIGE
08-26-2005, 07:16 PM

You have changed your mind on taking up MMA?

boxer2k5
08-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Shots landed?
naw my defense was too nice
shots were comming fast at all
angles but couldnt land anything

would have been a draw

EXIGE
08-26-2005, 09:42 PM
naw my defense was too nice
shots were comming fast at all
angles but couldnt land anything

would have been a draw
Hhahahaha,

I wonder why???? :confused: :rolleyes:

boxstarr
08-28-2005, 04:10 PM
You have changed your mind on taking up MMA?

havent decided

still think it would help me on the "mean streets" of "central", "addo", or "the heath"

i need to improve my grappling ability but retain my good looks

im a much better looking blonde than mckay

rsl
09-11-2005, 11:01 PM
i sparred myself when shadow boxingLOL, you're so humble.

Jackin
09-12-2005, 05:06 PM
I sparred quinton rampage jackson

Hunna
09-13-2005, 08:51 AM
dats right, none of boxingscene so called fighters have sparred any real fighters, big surprise!

spinksjinx
09-13-2005, 10:04 AM
dats right, none of boxingscene so called fighters have sparred any real fighters, big surprise!

Tony Tubbs, Brian Minto, Verquan Kimbrough are not real fighters?

boxstarr
09-13-2005, 04:30 PM
well...that was stupid

leff
09-13-2005, 05:43 PM
cant remeber his full name but his name was josef and he ought duran.

Hunna
09-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Tony Tubbs, Brian Minto, Verquan Kimbrough are not real fighters?

they were play spars and u know it. if they went to normal sparring pace, u would have brain damage.

Rockin'
09-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Ive sparred or had fights with alot of very good and known fighters. Some of them may not be known to you but they had alot of talent. From the top of my head......

Bronco McKart
Tarrick Salamaci
Gary Stretch
Dennis Andries
James Toney
Jason Pappilion
Corey Johnson
Carl Griffith
Anthony Jones
Leo Nolan
Oba Carr
Courtney Hooper

There are many more but I just am not able to recall them all at this time. Ill think about it some more. And to the guy that says that boxing scene people havent sparred anybody I say "Who have you sparred or fought against!!!!!