View Full Version : Is boxing a martial art?

.Go To Sleep.
08-24-2005, 01:13 AM
A lot of people I know who practice traditional martial arts dont consider boxing a martial art. I think this is ridiculous, so I just wanted to know what people think about this.

(Btw I've sparred with these traditional martial artists and owned them with basic boxing skills)

Sweat
08-24-2005, 01:33 AM
For me, boxing is the best martial art style. Those kung fu praying mantis **** doesnt work in a real fight. Most martial arts are for movies only.

Troy Fine
08-24-2005, 01:44 AM
i looked it up on www.dictionary.com and it has to be oreintal to be a mratial art

PunchDrunk
08-24-2005, 03:52 AM
I don't consider it a martial art. It's a sport. A martial sport, if you like...

leff
08-24-2005, 08:39 AM
of course its in the the category martial arts.

i wouldnt realy mind if the pyjamas guys dont recognice it as a martial art, they suck anyway.

666boy666
08-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Like troy fine said, every fighting technique is not a martial art.

Boxing is my preferred fighting technique, but it's not a martial art.The term martial art has to do with the techniques first developed more than a 1,000 years ago in various places in asia.

EXIGE
08-26-2005, 02:10 PM
I consider it a fighting discipline.

PunchDrunk
08-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Like troy fine said, every fighting technique is not a martial art.

Boxing is my preferred fighting technique, but it's not a martial art.The term martial art has to do with the techniques first developed more than a 1,000 years ago in various places in asia.

I agree. The keyword is ART. There's a lot more to it than just fighting. Boxing is a sport, pure and simple.

Kickboxing is a sport version of karate, tae kwon do etc. Kickboxing and boxing are contests, nothing else, therefore they're sports. they have no philosophical base, or a RIGHT way of doing things. As long as what you do in the ring is within the rules, you're free to do whatever you can come up with to win.
Karate and Tae kwon do, are fighting systems, with basis in certain philosophies, and strict forms of movements. Karate and Tae kwon do are different. How are they different, they both involve kicks and punches? The answer is in the form kicks and punches take in each martial art.

In boxing there are many ways to throw a hook. Sure, people might bicker about which way is the correct way to throw a hook, but when it comes down to it, it really doesn't matter as long as you hit the guy with your knuckles.
there's a big difference between sports and martial arts. :)

666boy666
08-26-2005, 03:06 PM
I consider it a fighting discipline.

That it is. But one thing's for sure, it's not a martial art. It's one of those things that has no leeway with the terminology.

Here's the definition :

martial arts, various forms of self-defense, usually weaponless, based on techniques developed in ancient China, India, and Tibet. In modern times they have come into wide use for self-protection, as competitive sports, and for exercise.

Boxing wasn't created in asia, so therefor it is not a martial art

666boy666
08-26-2005, 03:07 PM
I agree. The keyword is ART. There's a lot more to it than just fighting. Boxing is a sport, pure and simple.

Kickboxing is a sport version of karate, tae kwon do etc. Kickboxing and boxing are contests, nothing else, therefore they're sports. they have no philosophical base, or a RIGHT way of doing things. As long as what you do in the ring is within the rules, you're free to do whatever you can come up with to win.
Karate and Tae kwon do, are fighting systems, with basis in certain philosophies, and strict forms of movements. Karate and Tae kwon do are different. How are they different, they both involve kicks and punches? The answer is in the form kicks and punches take in each martial art.

In boxing there are many ways to throw a hook. Sure, people might bicker about which way is the correct way to throw a hook, but when it comes down to it, it really doesn't matter as long as you hit the guy with your knuckles.
there's a big difference between sports and martial arts. :)

very well said

PunchDrunk
08-26-2005, 03:10 PM
That it is. But one thing's for sure, it's not a martial art. It's one of those things that has no leeway with the terminology.

Here's the definition :

martial arts, various forms of self-defense, usually weaponless, based on techniques developed in ancient China, India, and Tibet. In modern times they have come into wide use for self-protection, as competitive sports, and for exercise.

Boxing wasn't created in asia, so therefor it is not a martial art

The real difference is that boxing was created as a contest (sport), where martial arts are for self defense and war (hence the word martial), and usually contain an element of philosophy.

boxstarr
08-26-2005, 05:36 PM
boxing isnt a martial art

martial arts such as karate judo etc were created by peasants and farmers in oriental countries to protect themselves from wars as they had less access to weapons

boxing is a sport

it focuses on damaging the opponent rather than defending oneself

666boy666
08-27-2005, 02:47 AM
The real difference is that boxing was created as a contest (sport), where martial arts are for self defense and war (hence the word martial), and usually contain an element of philosophy.

This is true, but I'm quoting the actual dictionary. Like I said, it's a term that has no leeway, you can call it whatever you want, you can "take it" however you want, but that is THE definition of martial arts, there's no "I think it's this".

ebaum
09-03-2005, 11:38 PM
For me, boxing is the best martial art style. Those kung fu praying mantis **** doesnt work in a real fight. Most martial arts are for movies only.

Doesn't work much in a real fight does it? check this **** out
http://www.big-boys.com/articles/kungfufighter.html

Pugnacious_Z
09-03-2005, 11:48 PM
ebaum, dat guy in the clip is the crapiest fighter i ever seen and i bet he doesnt do kung fu, and if he does, dats putting the style even worse then i thought it was, it was a lucky punch to a weak ass chin, i wud drop the cunt

leff
09-04-2005, 10:30 AM
eeeh the other guyu was ****ty.

lets see a kung fu master aginst a pro boxer OUCH.

Solo322
09-07-2005, 02:29 AM
i just looked up martial arts in wikipedia and they have a pretty cool and lengthy article on all the forms. the way i and they figure it is that boxing is englands form of martial arts, kind of how taekwondo is korean and aikido is japanese and savate is french