View Full Version : Tyson vs. THE GREATS Pt. I

Skydog
08-23-2005, 09:29 PM
#7- Mike Tyson vs. Joe Frazier

Seeing that Frazier was about the same height as Tyson, fought nearly the same style, this fight would be a slugfest. Frazier had arguably the most heart and determination of any heavyweight champion ever, and, like Tyson, had great head movement. He owned probably the most dangerous punch in boxing, his signature left hook, and his constant attack stopped many boxers. Here we'll use the Frazier the night of the first fight with Ali, seeing that that was probably his greatest moment.

Tyson would be prepared for Frazier's deadly left hook, and would storm out covering up his left side mainly. He throws a nearly fatal right hook, but Frazier ducks and catches Mike with a left-right to the body. The first 2 rounds consist of mainly Tyson missing many punches, and Frazier counters them with body shots. Frazier's underrated right hand is becoming very prominent, as Tyson underestimated it. At the end of the 3rd round, Mike catches Frazier with a destructive uppercut, but Joe shakes it off like it's nothing and comes right back at Mike. Furious, Mike throws a brutal left hook, but missed and is smashed by a suprisingly powerful right from Joe.

By the 5th, Tyson is realizing that Joe's right hand is much more of a problem than he realized, and he starts to cover up his right side more. This allows Joe to start letting the left hook fly. Tyson is brutally beaten the 5th round, because Joe's body shots in the early rounds are taking the toll, and Tyson is slowing down and taking brutal left hooks. Somehow he manages to stay in there, but his left eye is swollen and a cut has appeared below his right eye. In the 6th round, Joe connects with 2 rights: the first to the body and the second to the head, which staggers Mike. While Mike backs up, Joe launches forward and throws a monstrous left hook, catching Mike square on the chin. Mike is out cold, as Joe stands over him and casts him a look of disgust, then he walks over to his corner.

#6 Mike Tyson vs. George Foreman

In the mid 70's George Foreman was a monster. He had the most powerful punch of any heavyweight, and his strength was unbearable. His chin was underrated, and he wasn't scared of anyone. We'll use the version of George when he fought Frazier in Kingston, seeing that was his finest moment.

At the staredown, Mike is scared ****less, looking into the angry looking face of an animal. Hell, if Mike was scared of a 45 year old Foreman, he must be scared of the monster 20 years younger. When the bell rings, Tyson doesn't storm out as usual, but gently walks out. Foreman's reach and brutal is disarming Mike of his staccato combos. Throughout the 1st round, Mike has landed no punches, while Foreman is throwing brutal jabs and occasional right hooks. A freakish looping right hand catches Mike and sends him to the canvas for a 6 count at the end of the first round.

The 2nd round starts off the same as the 1st round, but Foreman is throwing less jabs and more straight rights and lefts. Tyson is busted wide open from a left hook, and George winds up and throws a blistering uppercut that lifts Tyson off his feet. Tyson gets up barely at the 9, and George throws more bombs at Mike: uppercuts, body shots, hooks until the ref steps in and saves Mike of his life.

# 5: Mike Tyson vs Jack Johnson

Though Jack Johnson was roughly 32 when he fought the “Boiler Maker” in 1910, there is little doubt that he was in the best shape of his career for that fight, so we’ll use this Johnson to pair with Tyson. At the time, Johnson had a record of 57-6-12 (34) with 17 ND, according to the Cyber Boxing Zone. Johnson was to defense what Tyson was to offense and then some. The “Galveston Giant” had the ability to parry off incoming blows with his gloves while the punches were in mid-flight, a technique that has been lost with the annals of time, or maybe no one else could do it. In addition to his punch-blocking abilities, Jack was not afraid to tie you up on the inside either and was quite strong in the clinches, despite his 190 lb frame. He also had a snake-like jab that he could turn into a powerful hook, should he feel the punch would serve him better. In short, Johnson was everything that would drive Tyson nuts in the ring and cause him to give in to frustration.

Tyson, as always, would start off fast, looking to catch Johnson with a fusillade of hooks and uppercuts; but would run into a major problem with Johnson’s wide stance and ready posture. Johnson would repeatedly reach and unashamedly grab Mike as “Kid Dynamite” bull-rushed him and hold and muscle the younger man around the ring until the referee separated the two. The audience would soon realize this is not going to be an exciting match as Johnson would stop every onslaught as soon as it started. As we saw with the Smith, Tucker, Douglas, and Holyfield bouts, once frustrated, Tyson willingly gives in to being clinched on the inside. It would be no different with Johnson. Over the course of the fight, Johnson would pick and choose his shots and eventually walk away with a relatively easy, if not boring, fifteen-round decision.

tommyhearns804
08-24-2005, 12:07 AM
Most of your predictions are pretty good.Infact just about all of them are Skydog.But Johnson is to small and weak to do anything to Tyson.Johnson was knocked out in 3 rounds by a 170 pound fighter.Johnsons chin was pretty poor.Johnson never faced anybody nearly as explosive as Tyson was.Tyson by knockout when ever he lands a decent punch.

Troy Fine
08-24-2005, 12:12 AM
dude just becuase you dont like mike tyson you dont have to purposely make up the most ignorant fight scenarios i have ever heard. :bsflag: any smart guy like bert sugar or the likes would easily differ with you on the jack johnson fight. Why do you have him losing every fight do you not know how good he was? Or how long yourself have you boxed?

leoz12
08-24-2005, 12:25 AM
foreman would take tyson in round 1 cuz tyson would puss out against the most powerful hands in history.everyone knows tyson doesnt even have alittle heart.

Troy Fine
08-24-2005, 12:28 AM
well what you guys are taking is the tyson that fought mcbride and pitting him against the greatest fighters at there primes...how about tyson in his prime like a year or 2 before losing Rooney

tommyhearns804
08-24-2005, 12:55 AM
Tyson was 23 or 24 when Douglas knocked him stupid.Being with Rooney or not didnt make Tyson have a better chin or have heart.Foreman would always crush Tyson and Tyson knew this that is why he ducked him.
But Tyson would crush Johnson with ease.

M26
08-24-2005, 03:47 AM
I also believe that Frazier and Foreman would defeat Tyson.

I am not sure about Johnson. I have only seen clips of him fighting, but he is rumored to have had a weak chin, and this could easily spell disaster against a prime Mike Tyson. But one must also remember that he was one of the best defensive fighters of all time, and I would not be surprised if he managed to tie up Tyson and beat him by a boring decision like predicted here.

I guess it all comes down to Mike Tysons abilty to connect early. Considering his incredible speed and explosiveness in the late 80s, I say he would.

Mike Tyson by ko1.

Boxclever
08-24-2005, 07:46 AM
I also believe that Frazier and Foreman would defeat Tyson.

I am not sure about Johnson. I have only seen clips of him fighting, but he is rumored to have had a weak chin, and this could easily spell disaster against a prime Mike Tyson. But one must also remember that he was one of the best defensive fighters of all time, and I would not be surprised if he managed to tie up Tyson and beat him by a boring decision like predicted here.

I guess it all comes down to Mike Tysons abilty to connect early. Considering his incredible speed and explosiveness in the late 80s, I say he would.

Mike Tyson by ko1.

I Have to agree Foreman and Frazier both would probably beat Tyson. :boxing:

Muchmoore
08-24-2005, 07:38 PM
Im going to have to go with Tyson over Frazier. Joe was an extremely slow starter, which was evident in both Foreman fights, and Frazier-Bonavena 1. Tyson, is a VERY fast starter, which is evident in his 22 knockouts in the first round.

For his fight with Johnson, Johnson was a very good fighter, and perhaps the best defensive heavyweight ever, but he didnt have a great chin and was stopped to my knowledge (on the flip side, he fought about 105 times) Tyson comes out throwing punches with bad intentions and hurts and dropps Johnson early in the first round and again in the third. Tyson continues to dominate going into the 8th, where Johnson starts to take control. But Tyson had won enough early rounds to take the UD.

About his fight with Foreman, i see Tyson stopping him in 7. While a young Foreman had a granite chin, power, and heart, he left himself open quite often, and i see Tyson knocking him out with counterpunches.

Skydog
08-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Like I explained earlier, Tyson would underestimate Joe's right hand like Quarry did in their second fight. And Joe punished Quarry with that right hand. Tyson would realize that the right hand is doing a hell of a lot of damage, and would cover up the right side more, leaving some room for the deadly hooks to come in.

Muchmoore
08-25-2005, 08:10 AM
Like I explained earlier, Tyson would underestimate Joe's right hand like Quarry did in their second fight. And Joe punished Quarry with that right hand. Tyson would realize that the right hand is doing a hell of a lot of damage, and would cover up the right side more, leaving some room for the deadly hooks to come in.

Theres a big difference between Jerry Quarry and Mike Tyson.

tommyhearns804
08-25-2005, 01:26 PM
You really can't have a decent convo with Muchmoore Skydog if you mention Tyson to him.
In his head Tyson never lost.In his mind Tyson could do anything.All Tyson fan boys are like this.Foreman has a great chin Tyson does not.Foreman showed he could knock out "World Class fighters" like Frazier,Norton and Lyle and Tyson has not.Tysons defense was good when?When he was fighing guys who didn't fight back.One you hit Tyson one time his head movements went out the window.Besides Lyle and Ali nobody else in Foremans prime really landed anything and when they did Foreman walk right through it.
Can you imagine Tyson being hit by Foreman for 7 rounds and not being knocked out?I doubt it.Morrison hits harder than Tyson does Muchmooore again just read what Ruddock said about Morrison and Tyson and then look at the results.Morrison knocked out Ruddock in 6 rounds which is quicker than Tyson did it.And did Morrison hurt Foreman?Nope and this was a weaker chin slower older Foreman.The younger one had a much better chin and was alot stronger.Tyson would be crushed like the coward he is.
Jack Johnson a good defensive fighter?Since when?fighters at that era threw one punch and then grabbed.How hard is it to avoid one punch at a time from the level of fighters he fought?Jack Johnson is a complete bum.The man had a fragile chin.He was knocked down and out by 170 pound fighter.Johnson avoided fighting any of the top black fighters once he got the title.Do you think he could just hold Tyson and smile and wear Tyson down?I doubt it.Tyson would jump all over this guy and knocked him out in no more than 2 rounds.
It is still amusing to me when ever you talk about Tyson some moron will bring up well before he lost Rooney nobody could beat him.Who the fuk did Tyson fight at that time to began with?Nobody but bums.So because Tyson beat up bums when Cus was alive and Rooney was his trainer that means he could never be beat huh?I could say well before Foreman got a big ego and fought Ali he was unbeatable because he never lost.I could say before Ali fought Frazier he was unbeatable because he never lost up into that point.The same with Frazier annd Foreman.Every fight can be beat and will be beat if they fight good opponents.Tyson fought nobody up until he fought Holyfield.Douglas was nothing special.He just showed if you had any skill at all and tried to use them against Tyson you will kick his ass.Holyfield showed how physically weak Tyson is.Anybody who tried to muscle Tyson around could.Rooney and Cus can't teach the ability to take a punch or have heart.
Anyway i everthing you said about Tyson vs Frazier is right on SkyDog so keep up the good work.

ricecrispi
08-25-2005, 02:30 PM
I agree with Hearns and Tyson fought alot of bums early in his career and loss against anyone who was top level Heavy. The problem is Tyson's peak way to soon and he was a shot fighter by the time he fought Ruddock. Tyson got so many 1 rd Ko's against 2nd competition and that was really Tyson's biggest enemy. Realistically, how many 1 rd or 2nd round KO's you going to get against top 10 heavies? Even at that, how many of the top 10 heavies who get knock down by Tyson are going to get up and beat up Tyson? Do you think Tyson will get up after a knockdown. NO. Still Tyson had sick skills and huge potential if he was develop further. Same for Foreman but that is how history goes.

Mercer said Morrison hit the hardest too so I guess Morrison was hardest puncher of all the heavies in the 90's and today?

Muchmoore
08-25-2005, 02:59 PM
You really can't have a decent convo with Muchmoore Skydog if you mention Tyson to him.
In his head Tyson never lost.In his mind Tyson could do anything.All Tyson fan boys are like this.Foreman has a great chin Tyson does not.Foreman showed he could knock out "World Class fighters" like Frazier,Norton and Lyle and Tyson has not.Tysons defense was good when?When he was fighing guys who didn't fight back.One you hit Tyson one time his head movements went out the window.Besides Lyle and Ali nobody else in Foremans prime really landed anything and when they did Foreman walk right through it.
Can you imagine Tyson being hit by Foreman for 7 rounds and not being knocked out?I doubt it.Morrison hits harder than Tyson does Muchmooore again just read what Ruddock said about Morrison and Tyson and then look at the results.Morrison knocked out Ruddock in 6 rounds which is quicker than Tyson did it.And did Morrison hurt Foreman?Nope and this was a weaker chin slower older Foreman.The younger one had a much better chin and was alot stronger.Tyson would be crushed like the coward he is.
Jack Johnson a good defensive fighter?Since when?fighters at that era threw one punch and then grabbed.How hard is it to avoid one punch at a time from the level of fighters he fought?Jack Johnson is a complete bum.The man had a fragile chin.He was knocked down and out by 170 pound fighter.Johnson avoided fighting any of the top black fighters once he got the title.Do you think he could just hold Tyson and smile and wear Tyson down?I doubt it.Tyson would jump all over this guy and knocked him out in no more than 2 rounds.
It is still amusing to me when ever you talk about Tyson some moron will bring up well before he lost Rooney nobody could beat him.Who the fuk did Tyson fight at that time to began with?Nobody but bums.So because Tyson beat up bums when Cus was alive and Rooney was his trainer that means he could never be beat huh?I could say well before Foreman got a big ego and fought Ali he was unbeatable because he never lost.I could say before Ali fought Frazier he was unbeatable because he never lost up into that point.The same with Frazier annd Foreman.Every fight can be beat and will be beat if they fight good opponents.Tyson fought nobody up until he fought Holyfield.Douglas was nothing special.He just showed if you had any skill at all and tried to use them against Tyson you will kick his ass.Holyfield showed how physically weak Tyson is.Anybody who tried to muscle Tyson around could.Rooney and Cus can't teach the ability to take a punch or have heart.
Anyway i everthing you said about Tyson vs Frazier is right on SkyDog so keep up the good work.

Morrison knocked out Ruddock in 6 rounds due to Ruddock being out of shape and past his prime and when Tyson fought him Ruddock was in his prime and Mike was declining.

Rooney and Cus couldnt teach Tyson heart? But Tyson was much more motivated when he had them as his trainer then without them and would fight with more intensity and show more heart.

You said Tyson is physically weak, you have to be kidding about that. You dont have a knockout percentage like that and be physically weak.

Tyson hasnt beat world class fighters? He happended to beat 12 former champions in his time, so i dont know how you can say he never beat a world class fighter.

XionComrade
08-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Rooney and Cus couldnt teach Tyson heart? But Tyson was much more motivated when he had them as his trainer then without them and would fight with more intensity and show more heart.

You said Tyson is physically weak, you have to be kidding about that. You dont have a knockout percentage like that and be physically weak.

Tyson hasnt beat world class fighters? He happended to beat 12 former champions in his time, so i dont know how you can say he never beat a world class fighter.

All true!

Tommy what THE **** did muchmoore do? Did he rape your mom? Why do you have to bad mouth him in everyone of your posts?

Well anyway, yes Tyson was good, expecially with the Catskill connection behind him. He was a fighter out of the 70's in the 80's, bad for Tyson, bad for everyone else...

I know Foreman would KO Tyson in one round, Tyson doesn't have but half the chin that Joe had, good chin, but Joe's was the best. Tyson gets in some good punches in that fight though, just like Joe did, and Foreman misses alot of shots. Tyson takes 20 shots from Foreman at best before he is out, he really wouldn't do a whole lot worse than Frazier.

I see the Tyson Frazier fight being a all-time best, two aggressors, both with good chins, both very aggressive, man at the possibilities! Tyson would get frustrated though, he never goes to the body, if he did he would have been just ****ing awesome, he headhunted WAY to much. And you can't headhunt with joe Frazier, it just doesn't work that way, Joe by late KO.

Muchmoore
08-25-2005, 03:30 PM
All true!

Tommy what THE **** did muchmoore do? Did he rape your mom? Why do you have to bad mouth him in everyone of your posts?

Well anyway, yes Tyson was good, expecially with the Catskill connection behind him. He was a fighter out of the 70's in the 80's, bad for Tyson, bad for everyone else...

I know Foreman would KO Tyson in one round, Tyson doesn't have but half the chin that Joe had, good chin, but Joe's was the best. Tyson gets in some good punches in that fight though, just like Joe did, and Foreman misses alot of shots. Tyson takes 20 shots from Foreman at best before he is out, he really wouldn't do a whole lot worse than Frazier.

I see the Tyson Frazier fight being a all-time best, two aggressors, both with good chins, both very aggressive, man at the possibilities! Tyson would get frustrated though, he never goes to the body, if he did he would have been just ****ing awesome, he headhunted WAY to much. And you can't headhunt with joe Frazier, it just doesn't work that way, Joe by late KO.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

Tyson had a better chin that Joe. Frazier never had a good chin, but he made it up with heart. Frazier was dropped by Oscar Bonavena twice, and Foreman destroyed him. Tyson was never dropped by a single punch or a flash knockdown punch either. It was always after absorbing tons of punishment like in the Lewis right.

XionComrade
08-25-2005, 03:43 PM
No, Frazier had a supperb chin, probably the best in the Sport's History, it was ammazing! That's what it takes to get up from 6 George Foreman Brutal KDs, a deathwish, and a awesome chin!

Tyson's balancedness(Is that a word?) is what made him so freaking awesome...Above average Chin, he could take a punch and keep coming. Power that is surpassed by few(Conney,Foreman,Shavers all hit harder!) Incredible hand speed, super human aggression and great footwork.

Certainly he is not the best in any of these catergories, but excells in them all anyway, he may be lacking in Willpower though in his prime! :(

Yes Tyson could absorb tons of punishment, no doubt about that, but the ammount that Frazier could take was just plain inhumman, easily if it was anyone else in the ring taking the beating that he took from Foreman they would be dead, period, no hospital or anything, pronounced dead on the spot! Same goes for Tyson, he can't take that much punishment, only a handfull of people who ever lived could if even that!

The Frazier-Tyson fight would be great though, my mouth is watering just from the idea!!!! I can only think of two other people I would rather see Tyson fight, Don King, and that ***** James Butler!(Im watching the Butler Sucker Punch :mad: )

Muchmoore
08-25-2005, 04:13 PM
No, Frazier had a supperb chin, probably the best in the Sport's History, it was ammazing! That's what it takes to get up from 6 George Foreman Brutal KDs, a deathwish, and a awesome chin!

Tyson's balancedness(Is that a word?) is what made him so freaking awesome...Above average Chin, he could take a punch and keep coming. Power that is surpassed by few(Conney,Foreman,Shavers all hit harder!) Incredible hand speed, super human aggression and great footwork.

Certainly he is not the best in any of these catergories, but excells in them all anyway, he may be lacking in Willpower though in his prime! :(

Yes Tyson could absorb tons of punishment, no doubt about that, but the ammount that Frazier could take was just plain inhumman, easily if it was anyone else in the ring taking the beating that he took from Foreman they would be dead, period, no hospital or anything, pronounced dead on the spot! Same goes for Tyson, he can't take that much punishment, only a handfull of people who ever lived could if even that!

The Frazier-Tyson fight would be great though, my mouth is watering just from the idea!!!! I can only think of two other people I would rather see Tyson fight, Don King, and that ***** James Butler!(Im watching the Butler Sucker Punch :mad: )

Frazier getting up from 6 knockdowns is HEART not chin.

tommyhearns804
08-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Lol xion go **** yourself Muchmoore knows how i think now and i am nothing i said bashed him.I welcomed him back to this post because he said he wasnt coming back because you people were idiots.And he was going to just stick to making post on the ******** boxing forum.
And Muchmoore if Tyson wasn't physically weak then why did Holyfield out muscle him?Why was Tyson so easy to tie up?Punching power and physical strenght are different kid.Tommy Hearns could bang but wasn't physially strong.Ali was physically strong but wasn't much of a puncher.
The guys Tyson beat who had Titles were bums Much.Berbick=Bum.Spinks was a good light heavyweight but wasn't much as a heayvweight.Again when Tyson was with Rooney and Cus did he fight fighters like Ali,Norton,Frazier, or Lyle?He piled up a impressive record fighting who?Jeremy William is good a knocking out bums as well but when he faces good opponents he gets knocked out just like Tyson does.
Ruddock was past his prime when he fought Morrison?I doubt it and in any case he still said Morrison punched harder.Lewis fought Ruddock a few months after Tyson did and knocked him out in 2 rounds so logic would say Lewis hit harder.
Tyson could take alot of punishment?When was this?Holyfield knocked him out.A washed up past his prime weaker slower Holyfield.Holyfield knocked Tyson down with one punch and then stopped him.A prime Holyfield couldnt even knock down a old Foreman.A prime Holyfield couldnt even hurt a old Holmes.But yet he knocked out Tyson.Holyfield was never much of a puncher at heavyweight but he still knocked out Tyson which says alot about how weak Tysons chin is.
Douglas isnt much of a puncher.Who else did Douglas knock out?But again he was able to knock out Tyson i dont care if it took 1 punch or a 100 Douglas couldnt punch worth a damn.Even when Foreman was 48 he could take Briggs punches and we all know Briggs punches alot harder than Douglas which says alot for Foremans chin and the lack of chin for Tyson.
Briggs probably punches alot harder than Tyson.He could hurt Lewis with his punches something Tyson couldn't do.
Foreman misses alot of shots?Maybe Yuri Foreman but Foreman didnt miss to many punches.Unless you try to use well he did in the Ali fight so lets base his whole career on one lost.Because if you are going to do that then Tyson misses alot of punches because look at the Douglas fight.Foreman was much more realaxed than Tyson was usually.
Again Tyson had the power to knock out who?Low level fighters.Tons of fighters punched harder than Tyson did.Lewis,Foreman,Shavers,Bowe,Bruno,Tua,Lyle,Morr ison,Ibeabuchi probably the list goes on and on and on.Padding your record up against no name fighters isn't impressive.To be considered a hard puncher you need to knock out elite fighters or at least hurt elite fighters.Foreman did.Frazier did,Lewis did,Lyle did,Shavers did but Tyson did not.
Tyson would lose to both Foreman and Frazier by knockout.Most of the people here agree with me.

Skydog
08-25-2005, 08:20 PM
Theres a big difference between Jerry Quarry and Mike Tyson.

I never said there wasn't. I just said Tyson would underestimate Joe's right hand like Quarry did. Hell, many people did. Many said "He's got a good left hook and that's it." But his right hand was killer. He nails Quarry with a right and it opens Quarry's eyebrow wide open. Just because Joe had the best left hook in boxing doesn't mean his right wasn't good.

Skydog
08-25-2005, 08:35 PM
By the way Frazier shows that he has chin at the end of Manilla. He was taking a hell of a beating, but still throwing some good punches and never fell. That's chin.

Muchmoore
08-25-2005, 08:57 PM
I never said there wasn't. I just said Tyson would underestimate Joe's right hand like Quarry did. Hell, many people did. Many said "He's got a good left hook and that's it." But his right hand was killer. He nails Quarry with a right and it opens Quarry's eyebrow wide open. Just because Joe had the best left hook in boxing doesn't mean his right wasn't good.

I understand what your saying. But anyone could open up Quarrys eyebrow, anyone. He bled more than any other fighter i know.

Tyson was never fazed by a single punch, and i doubt Fraziers weakest punch could faze Tyson.

XionComrade
08-26-2005, 02:32 PM
No doubt that Frazier could KO Tyson, he had tons of power, more than enough if he connected flush.

YOu can't get up 6 times if your dead, heart of not. Joe Frazier had a Skull 2x as thick as a normal persons, his chin was genetically awesome, unlike Tyson's which was just good, Frazier's was the best.
Yes Joe showed alot of heart by getting up those 6x, Tyson would be out cold, his chin doesn't even compare to Frazier's, even though Tyson's chin is still good, its hard to Flash KO him.

There seriously wasn't anyone to faze him then I think, he still fought some hard hitters, certainly no punchers though.

ricecrispi
08-27-2005, 01:00 AM
Frazier had a better chin and heart than Tyson easily. Bonavena was considered a very dangerous power punching knockout fighter. Foreman, most likely the strongest heavy ever. Ali has how many Ko's and did he ever knock out Frazier?

Tyson's is above average chin but weak heart and little determination. I mean Tyson was a sprint fighter from round 1 to 4 and would rapidly slow down after. I don't think against top 10 heavies you can win a fight in 4 rounds.

Tyson was the YOUNGEST HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP. People don't remember that fact. If they took more time with Tyson and Tyson didn't peak and burn out so quickly, Tyson's career would be clearer. He had a lot of stuff happening outside the ring that was extermely distracting that i think ruined his career. Robin Givens and Don King to point fingers

XionComrade
08-31-2005, 04:57 PM
King!!! HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSESS!!!!!! >:(

Yogi
08-31-2005, 06:10 PM
Tyson was the YOUNGEST HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP. People don't remember that fact.

Some of those who don't give two ****s about those stupid alphabet titles would argue against what you would call "that fact".

When Tyson defeated Michael Spinks for the true and linear claim to the heavyweight championship, he was about a month older than was Floyd Patterson when he first won the heavyweight championship.

Floyd Patterson - (born Jan 4th, 1935 and won the linear championship on Nov 30th, 1956...a month and a few days short of his 22nd birthday)

Mike Tyson - (born Jun 30th, 1966 and won the linear championship on Jun 27th, 1988...a few days short of his 22nd birthday).

Verstyle
08-31-2005, 09:35 PM
how can u hate on tyson so much jus because when tyson came in the scene there wasnt n e supertars that doesnt mean hes not is it his fault that no 1 had the status that he had nope. and im my opinion joe was to slow. yes he bobbed and weaved to get in but a one two from tyson would slow that down and some1 said tyson doesnt body punch thats a lie u guys r suppost to compare to primes not when there already shot fighters and n e 1 that saw tysons fights n the 80s knew he went to the body and with his chin he was already starting to fade away when he fought buster and before that he never got hurt so how the **** can u guys compare chins if he never got hurt in his prime come on guys its common since. o yeah and forman yes hes a really hard puncher but also slow and wide when punching u can see what hes goin to do before he does it jus look at ali forman fight. tyson would of pin pointed his shots and ended it with crushin body shots in the 7th cause georges stamina was horrible he was used to knockin ppl out early thanx to his brute strength. and tyson never tired in his prime look at tony tucker vs. tyson fight joe or forman couldnt last that long for 12 rounds with the same speed and intensity so now.

tommyhearns804
08-31-2005, 11:29 PM
Tysons chin was getting worse when he was 23 huh ?But for some reason Foreman could still take punches from Briggs when he was 48?Tyson wasnt hurt before you fought Douglas?Your point is?Who exactly did he fight?How many of those fighters actually tried to hit Tyson?Lol Foreman is slow and then you bring up the Ali fight.Ali is a legend kid.Douglas is a bum and he kicekd Tysons ass.I would rather lose to Ali then be clowned by Douglas.
Foreman was 45-2 with 42 knock outs moron so if he was so easy to dodge then more than 3 fighters would of went the distance with him.Foreman was slow but yet Norton wasn't able to get out of the second round with Foreman but he was able to make Ali miss alot more than he made Foreman miss.
Tyson would of knocked Foreman out with a body shot?Kid before you make post make sure you know what you are talking about .When Tyson can knock out Douglas then you can talk about him being in the same ring as Foreman.Foreman has worse stamina than Tyson?Only if you are hooked on Tyson and want him to bang you in the butt.AGAIN FOR THE BILLIONTH TIME FOREMAN GOT TIRED IN 2 FIGHTS OUT OF THE 81 HE HAD IN HIS CAREER.TYSON WAS TIRED ALOT MORE THAN THAT.GETTING TIRED IN 2 FIGHTS MEAN NOTHING.Tyson was afraid to fight the old slow weaker nicer Foreman.Tyson has a ***** of a time trying to get pass Douglas jab.Foremans jab better.Tyson had a hard time dealing with Douglas power and the other 4 guys that stopped him.Foreman hits alot harder.Tyson would blow Tyson out.So would Frazier.So would Lyle,Tya,Bowe,Ibeabuchi,Vitali Klitchko ect ect ect.Tyson has plenty of **** on this dick child he doesn't need another.

Yogi
08-31-2005, 11:42 PM
Tyson was rocked noticably a couple of fights before facing Douglas, when after Mike missed with a wild left hook in the very first round, Bruno responded by landing his own left hook which buckled Tyson's legs and forced him to grab on while he cleared his head...Tyson WAS hurt/rocked before facing Douglas, and the video evidence is there for all to see.

Warhawk46
09-01-2005, 02:04 AM
Absolutely, Tyson was rocked by Frank Bruno, a very hard punching, if not entirely skilled heavyweight. In that sense he is like a Ron Lyle or an Ernie Shavers. I dont know who it was, but it may have been Tommyhearns...this guy does not know what he is talking about. His posts are rambling without a solid point while his supporting evidence is shakey.

For a knowledgable poster who disagrees with me, look to Yogi. The guy at least puts thought into what he writes and is able to support it intelligently. I may not always agree, but I can respect his points.

By the way, Tyson had an excellent chin. There is no other way to descibe it. Douglas beat on his ass for 10 rounds! Tyson put up hardly an defense. He was hit at will with the 1-2. It was a sad display to see a fighter of Tyson's former caliber so undisciplined and unprepared.

And to those of you who say Tyson never fought anyone...reality check: the 80s had a large supply of talented fighters. The problem was they did not have a person unifying the titles (something earlier greats didnt have to worry about). Holmes should have, but didnt. The 1980s was a strong decade with quality fighters. What makes them pale to the 1970s was that the fighters did not seem to have as much interest in unifying as they should have. But the decade was filled with big and skilled guys. Bigger guys than the 1970s. Think about it, Foreman was a monster at 6'4" and 225 lbs during his prime. Tyson fought several guys of similar size (and more actual skill). While Foreman is an all-time great (probably #4 or #5) he was sorely lacking in skill. I feel Tyson could have exploited this. Tyson, during his prime, employed angles better than Frazier did. His lateral footwork was impressive and his defense was much better than Joe's was.

catskills23
09-01-2005, 02:48 PM
I cant believe people who say tyson had an average chin . Tyson took ruddocks bombs on the chin for 18 rounds and it didnt even faze him . The commentator during the ruddock fights even said tyson had an unbelievable chin , ruddock afterwards said he couldnt understand how tyson could take his punches without even blinking and the body shot that holyfield floored tyson with was a balance shot he caught tyson of balance when tyson was leaping in , the commentators even said it was a balance shot

Muchmoore
09-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Tysons chin was very good, great in my opinion.

XionComrade
09-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Frazier was better than Tyson.

Tyson had a excellent chin, and was very hard to put down unless you caught him coming in, if you did he may buckle or go down, he can't handle that.

Foreman would crush Tyson, its like Taking Tyson, and taking all his skills and everything and turning it into raw power!

Dirt E Gomez
09-04-2005, 04:32 AM
Frazier and Foreman would own tyson within 10 rounds. Hell, I give the old 40year old Foreman good odds against Tyson. Johnson, as others have said, was too small however. He would have too hard of a time dealing with Tyson's speed and power. Good post though.

kapersky
09-04-2005, 05:19 AM
only reason why holyfield didnt ko foreman was because he doesnt wants to. i couldnt watch the fight after 5 or 6 rounds. the betting foreman got from holyfield was just gore. he could had die no doubt. holyfield must be surpised how big heart foreman got.

BAREKNUCKLES
09-05-2005, 04:42 PM
FIGHT 1 : Mike Tyson vs. The IRS

In this fight, Mike tries to be clever and be a thinking fighter. He tries to blame Don King, but since his head is in his ass, he has no defense. The IRS comes out and removes his shorts and shoes right in the middle of the fight. They then take his stool as ge tries to return to his corner. Mike cannot quit on the stool this time. In frustration, he bites a fan. The IRS comes back at Mike and finishes him off with a sweeping left hook of his bank account. He's finished. IRS KO's Mike Tyson.

FIGHT 2: Mike Tyson vs. Jenna Jamison

This is a winnable fight for Mike. He comes out swinging his sword. Jamison counters with a quick head shot. Fearing for her life, Jenna tries to climb out of the ring ala Roberto Duran, but Mike grabs her and rapes her. In a shocker, the ref DQ's Mike for holding and hitting. Mike Tyson loses by a DQ to Jamison.

FIGHT 3:

Mike Tyson vs. Himself

Mike is having trouble figuring out his opponent in this fight. The guy keeps falling down on him, and Mike doesn't know what to think. They clash in the middle of the ring and bite each other's ears off. They can no longer hear the bell and they keep fighting up into the stands.

Both fighters are finally separated and they return to their corners. Being tired millionaires, they both simultaneously quit on their stools. The fight is a draw.

XionComrade
09-06-2005, 04:38 PM
FIGHT 1 : Mike Tyson vs. The IRS

In this fight, Mike tries to be clever and be a thinking fighter. He tries to blame Don King, but since his head is in his ass, he has no defense. The IRS comes out and removes his shorts and shoes right in the middle of the fight. They then take his stool as ge tries to return to his corner. Mike cannot quit on the stool this time. In frustration, he bites a fan. The IRS comes back at Mike and finishes him off with a sweeping left hook of his bank account. He's finished. IRS KO's Mike Tyson.

FIGHT 2: Mike Tyson vs. Jenna Jamison

This is a winnable fight for Mike. He comes out swinging his sword. Jamison counters with a quick head shot. Fearing for her life, Jenna tries to climb out of the ring ala Roberto Duran, but Mike grabs her and rapes her. In a shocker, the ref DQ's Mike for holding and hitting. Mike Tyson loses by a DQ to Jamison.

FIGHT 3:

Mike Tyson vs. Himself

Mike is having trouble figuring out his opponent in this fight. The guy keeps falling down on him, and Mike doesn't know what to think. They clash in the middle of the ring and bite each other's ears off. They can no longer hear the bell and they keep fighting up into the stands.

Both fighters are finally separated and they return to their corners. Being tired millionaires, they both simultaneously quit on their stools. The fight is a draw.

Nice...Very nice :P Holding and hitting...XD

karlygash
09-07-2005, 02:09 PM
***1077;***1077;***1082;***1086;***1099;***1082;***1077;***1083;***1085; ***1086;***1083;***1083;***1077;***1076;***1075;***1078;***1075;***1078;

Gemini531
09-22-2005, 10:46 PM
Foreman never fought anyone Frazier was done as a boxer after the first Ali fight. Tyson at21-0 was unstoppable thats when he had it together take him and put him against Foreman pre Ali. Tyson was too quick for him, besides when did foreman ever recieve a dose of his own medicine with more kick.

Gemini531
09-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Absolutely, Tyson was rocked by Frank Bruno, a very hard punching, if not entirely skilled heavyweight. In that sense he is like a Ron Lyle or an Ernie Shavers. I dont know who it was, but it may have been Tommyhearns...this guy does not know what he is talking about. His posts are rambling without a solid point while his supporting evidence is shakey.

For a knowledgable poster who disagrees with me, look to Yogi. The guy at least puts thought into what he writes and is able to support it intelligently. I may not always agree, but I can respect his points.

By the way, Tyson had an excellent chin. There is no other way to descibe it. Douglas beat on his ass for 10 rounds! Tyson put up hardly an defense. He was hit at will with the 1-2. It was a sad display to see a fighter of Tyson's former caliber so undisciplined and unprepared.

And to those of you who say Tyson never fought anyone...reality check: the 80s had a large supply of talented fighters. The problem was they did not have a person unifying the titles (something earlier greats didnt have to worry about). Holmes should have, but didnt. The 1980s was a strong decade with quality fighters. What makes them pale to the 1970s was that the fighters did not seem to have as much interest in unifying as they should have. But the decade was filled with big and skilled guys. Bigger guys than the 1970s. Think about it, Foreman was a monster at 6'4" and 225 lbs during his prime. Tyson fought several guys of similar size (and more actual skill). While Foreman is an all-time great (probably #4 or #5) he was sorely lacking in skill. I feel Tyson could have exploited this. Tyson, during his prime, employed angles better than Frazier did. His lateral footwork was impressive and his defense was much better than Joe's was.
Amen Brother Tyson had more stamina then Foreman who burned out past round 6 Tyson was getting beat for 10 rounds against Douglas and managed to KO him in the 9th I beleive he could have gotten to GF and he would have beaten frazier who was too slow.

Skydog
09-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Actually, a 42 year-old Foreman went a full match with a young, Evander Holyfield in his prime. And this was Foreman when he was nearly 20 years older than when he was in his prime. Foreman did NOT burn out after 6 rounds. Tyson couldn't hardley go past 6 rounds. Douglas started whipping his tail and then Mike got a lucky uppercut in.

Verstyle
10-03-2005, 03:28 AM
u obviously havnt seen all his fights cause i have all of them on dvd.in his prime he went 12 rounds with no problem. why dont u check out the tony tucker fight before talkin **** and thats jus an example

number6
10-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Foremans power gives him a good chance but a prime Tyson
would destroy Johnson and Frazier.

Skydog
10-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Sure, Mike could go a full match, but he burned out and got slower and more tired after the first 5 or 6 rounds. I don't think Tyson could knock out Frazier in the first 6 rounds.

Number 6, why would Tyson destroy Frazier? Too much power? Frazier had just about equal power as Tyson. Good chin? Joe's was better. More agressive? Joe was just as agressive. Frazier was driven by a red-eyed hatred, just as Foreman was. You just couldn't tell that because Joe wasn't a lunatic who couldn't hold his temper like Mike.

number6
10-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Number 6, why would Tyson destroy Frazier? Too much power? Frazier had just about equal power as Tyson. Good chin? Joe's was better. More agressive? Joe was just as agressive. Frazier was driven by a red-eyed hatred, just as Foreman was. You just couldn't tell that because Joe wasn't a lunatic who couldn't hold his temper like Mike.[/QUOTE]

Tyson had much faster hand speed,his punch timing/techniqie
was much more accurate and Joe was a lot easier to hit with a
clean shot than Tyson.

Warhawk46
10-09-2005, 04:48 PM
In a sense, Tyson was like a super Frazier...he could do everything better.

And Frazier, although having a great chin, was dropped a few too many times during his career. He got up, which equates to having a great heart more often than not, but he's been dropped, and early in fights.

Tyson only ever got dropped after taking punishment for a prolonged period of time.

Tyson was just twice the athlete as Joe. I would also say Frazier's power was not on par. The left hook sure, but everything else is not the same.

Warhawk46
10-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Skydog...

Foreman did burn out after the first 5 or 6 rounds during his prime. Every punch he threw seemed to be a looping (energy-stripping) haymaker. He did not pace himself because he really didnt need to. He was knocking everyone senseless.

When he returned in the late 80s he fought much more intelligently. In fact, he was a much different fighter. He was very relaxed in the ring, much like James Toney is. Neither man wasted energy. Foreman could spend large portions of the fight taking a breather. He was very relaxed (partly because he didnt fight anyone for the first few years) and this enabled him to make it through the fight without exhausting himself.

The younger Foreman couldnt fight this way...he didnt really need to.

chopper77
10-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Hey Skydog, I beg to differ. George Foreman NEVER threw a straight punch in his big fat life!!!!

Skydog
10-16-2005, 08:13 PM
Dude, if you just have any doubts about Forman's power, just ****ing watch the last knockdown against Norton. Left hook, right uppercut, right hook, left hook. Holy ****, It hurts to watch.

EVery jab Norton gets hit with, his head gets jerked back. And those are jabs. Seeing that Tyson was much shorter than Norton, Foreman's jab would take him apart much more effective than it did to Norton. Tyson would just come straight at Foreman like Joe did, and get shot back out.

Verstyle
10-17-2005, 02:23 AM
if u look at formans fights in the early days he stopped using his jab cause he got ****y with his power.

Warhawk46
10-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Except the problem, Skydog, is that a Prime Tyson didnt "just come straight ahead". Prime Tyson was so incredibly awesome with his footwork and with providing angles...to say he would come straight ahead, as he did against Douglas or after prison is to diminish the discipline, skills and ring savvy he had during his prime. His training and skills had him giving angles and having top-level footwork and defense.

Verstyle
10-18-2005, 08:30 PM
and he used his jab to get in. alot of guys dont give tyson the credit he should be due they look at the antics he did. and the prison and all that stuff. to me those ppl dont know **** on how tyson boxed they just run there mouths cause they can. do know what tyson did to them but i must have been huge.

Dempsey 1919
11-08-2005, 03:12 PM
tyson was promising at first, but the demise of cus and rooney made him suck!

Skydog
11-08-2005, 08:02 PM
u obviously havnt seen all his fights cause i have all of them on dvd.in his prime he went 12 rounds with no problem. why dont u check out the tony tucker fight before talkin **** and thats jus an example

It's much easier to go 12 rounds with a bum like Tony Tucker than with an all-time great.

Verstyle
11-08-2005, 09:35 PM
It's much easier to go 12 rounds with a bum like Tony Tucker than with an all-time great.

in your eyes what makes 1 a bum? cause he had a title and spinks didnt wanna fight him plus he had a good chin.

Dempsey 1919
11-08-2005, 09:46 PM
in your eyes what makes 1 a bum? cause he had a title and spinks didnt wanna fight him plus he had a good chin.
tyson did have a good chin, but not a great one. plus spinks is a natural lightheavyweight.

Skydog
11-08-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm just sayin that it's much easier to go 12 rounds with Tony Tucker, a bum. It's much easier to go 12 rounds with Tucker than with Frazier, Foreman, or Marciano. Oh, Spinks avoided him? And who the **** is Spinks?

Dempsey 1919
11-08-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm just sayin that it's much easier to go 12 rounds with Tony Tucker, a bum. It's much easier to go 12 rounds with Tucker than with Frazier, Foreman, or Marciano. Oh, Spinks avoided him? And who the **** is Spinks?

right on, brother!

Verstyle
11-09-2005, 01:58 AM

jus one of the greatest light heavyweights ever. jus remember he only lost once. and goin 12 rounds is going twelve rounds he was all over the place going at a fast pace.and tucker was movin alot more then those guys were. and whats the difference between an easy 12 round and a twelve round the only thing i can think of is a john ruiz 12 round.hehe

Dempsey 1919
11-09-2005, 01:22 PM
jus one of the greatest light heavyweights ever. jus remember he only lost once. and goin 12 rounds is going twelve rounds he was all over the place going at a fast pace.and tucker was movin alot more then those guys were. and whats the difference between an easy 12 round and a twelve round the only thing i can think of is a john ruiz 12 round.hehe

exactly lightheavyweight. that doesn't mean that you should tangle with any big, strong heavyweight like tyson. spinks didn't have a chance and the public should have known it. that fight wasn't a true testament of tyson's "greatness", because all he did was beat up on a light hw.

THE REAL NINJA
12-21-2006, 03:29 PM
I think he would take Frazier and Johnson

SquareCircle
12-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Im going to have to go with Tyson over Frazier. Joe was an extremely slow starter, which was evident in both Foreman fights, and Frazier-Bonavena 1. Tyson, is a VERY fast starter, which is evident in his 22 knockouts in the first round.

For his fight with Johnson, Johnson was a very good fighter, and perhaps the best defensive heavyweight ever, but he didnt have a great chin and was stopped to my knowledge (on the flip side, he fought about 105 times) Tyson comes out throwing punches with bad intentions and hurts and dropps Johnson early in the first round and again in the third. Tyson continues to dominate going into the 8th, where Johnson starts to take control. But Tyson had won enough early rounds to take the UD.

About his fight with Foreman, i see Tyson stopping him in 7. While a young Foreman had a granite chin, power, and heart, he left himself open quite often, and i see Tyson knocking him out with counterpunches.

boy you don't know a goddamn thing about boxing

The Surgeon
12-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Id pick Tyson over Frazier, Tyson is heavier, faster and lets fly with BOTH hands. Ive got all the respect in the world for Smokin Joe but i pick Tyson. Frazier had a HUGE heart but in his prime there was nothing wrong with Tysons heart, he luved to fight, whenever he got buzzed he came blazing back, even in the Douglas fight he pulled out a KD. His heart just wasnt in it later in his career, as he himself has said. Also Tyson had a far better defence

Johnson, only seen bits and bobs of the guy so i cant really say too much but i think Tyson or Frazier flatten him! But like i say i havent seen much of him really.

Foreman - now i could make a case for Mike winning this, what with Foremans wild swings and Tysons excellent defence but i pick Foreman by KO.

hhascup
12-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Id pick Tyson over Frazier, Tyson is heavier, faster and lets fly with BOTH hands. Ive got all the respect in the world for Smokin Joe but i pick Tyson. Frazier had a HUGE heart but in his prime there was nothing wrong with Tysons heart, he luved to fight, whenever he got buzzed he came blazing back, even in the Douglas fight he pulled out a KD. His heart just wasnt in it later in his career, as he himself has said. Also Tyson had a far better defence

Johnson, only seen bits and bobs of the guy so i cant really say too much but i think Tyson or Frazier flatten him! But like i say i havent seen much of him really.

Foreman - now i could make a case for Mike winning this, what with Foremans wild swings and Tysons excellent defence but i pick Foreman by KO.

Tyson never came back in a bout that he got hurt in. His heart wasn't nearly as good as Marciano's, Ali's, Holmes, Frazier's or a lot of other former Heavyweight Champions.

I the beginning of his career, most of his opponents lost before they came into the ring.

Frazier would stand a good chance of beating him and the longer the bout would go, the better chance he would have.

micky_knox
12-26-2006, 01:36 PM

how do you know what tyson would or woulnt do?

its all just guess work.......

tyson was just as strong as joe and faster too,plus mike had his danger punches too his uppercut for a start, and im sure he would be able to land it in such a close quarters fight.........
it could go either way........would be a dream match up :boxing:

hhascup
12-26-2006, 01:39 PM
how do you know what tyson would or woulnt do?

its all just guess work.......

tyson was just as strong as joe and faster too,plus mike had his danger punches too his uppercut for a start, and im sure he would be able to land it in such a close quarters fight.........
it could go either way........would be a dream match up :boxing:

That I agree with! For the 1st several rounds, it would be anyones fight.

Frazier was a great puncher, as was Tyson. If the bout got into the mid to late rounds, I would favor Smoking Joe!

micky_knox
12-26-2006, 01:40 PM
That I agree with! For the 1st several rounds, it would be anyones fight.

Frazier was a great puncher, as was Tyson. If the bout got into the mid to late rounds, I would favor Smoking Joe!

yea i cant disagree with that
the longer it went on the more it would swing in joes favour.....

K-DOGG
12-26-2006, 01:48 PM

The Johnson comparison is taken from one of my old articles!! LOL!!!

Sweet!!!! I'm truly honored Skydog.

...would have have been nice if you'd given me some credit, though. :(

K-DOGG
12-26-2006, 01:54 PM
I mean, seriously. I don't mind you citing me; but it's akin to plagerism if you take credit for someone else's work, man......and I can prove #'s 1-5 are mine....word for word.

Not trying to raise a fuss. I'm glad you agreed with my predictions; but give a brother some credit, kay.

I'd post a link to prove it; but it's on another website...and I don't want to advertise for someone else on boxingscene...but you know I'm on the level, here.

The Surgeon
12-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Tyson never came back in a bout that he got hurt in. His heart wasn't nearly as good as Marciano's, Ali's, Holmes, Frazier's or a lot of other former Heavyweight Champions.

I the beginning of his career, most of his opponents lost before they came into the ring.

Frazier would stand a good chance of beating him and the longer the bout would go, the better chance he would have.

Im not saying it was, im saying there was nothing wrong with his heart In His Day! People forget what a fighter he was, He got buzzed by Bruno and came swinging back, smith, Tucker, Douglas. Not sayin his heart was bigger than Joe's, it probably wasnt but when he still luved the sport there was nothing wrong with his own heart! Yeah ur rite tho the fight would favour Joe the longer it went on.

brownpimp88
01-02-2007, 09:27 PM

You are a complete moron if you consider spinks a bum, shut the **** up.

brownpimp88
01-02-2007, 09:32 PM
exactly lightheavyweight. that doesn't mean that you should tangle with any big, strong heavyweight like tyson. spinks didn't have a chance and the public should have known it. that fight wasn't a true testament of tyson's "greatness", because all he did was beat up on a light hw.

Many of the old guys fought the great light heavyweights in their era, stop making excuses to **** on tyson. I laugh when all these morons think all the old farts would beat tyson. Tyson was much faster than joe, he had better footwork and head movement. Joe can stay bitter as much as he wants. Realistically his claim to fame is beating ali after the guy took 3 years off. Tyson would have destroyed guys like floyd patterson, jack johnson and ken norton, those are easy ass fights to predict.