View Full Version : just took a beating

Scottie2Hottie
08-20-2005, 01:28 AM
a friend of mine and fellow boxing enthusiast just bought some headgear and a pair of gloves...he thought it might be fun to spar a few rounds.

fun for him, maybe. the kid is 5'10, wieghs about 215, can bench 360, and has arms thicker than my legs.

i work by a strict no fear doctrine, so i decided to spar anyways....my inexperience worked completely against me, i forgot about my form and couldnt think of anything to do except throw big rights....kept forgetting to keep my guard up. the kid landed 3 right hooks flush on my chin that almost unscrewed my head. i got in a few good (but lucky) rights, one of which hit him on the nose, but i took a serious beating. didnt fall, but i felt like taking a niiice, looong, nap on the floor.

its focused me though. even though he's about 40 pounds heavier than me and way stronger, i stepped in the ring and didnt back up. i just need to get more experience and learn to keep my head in the ring, then all the technique will be like second hand and wont abandon me when i step in the ring.

Sweat
08-20-2005, 01:30 AM
u wont learn anything if u dont make mistakes.

Dyl-G
08-20-2005, 01:31 AM
do you box at a gym?

Tony Blitz
08-20-2005, 01:31 AM
usually threads in this section are either questions or stating helpful facts, but okay I guess :p

Scottie2Hottie
08-20-2005, 01:40 AM
no, this was me boxing in my garage with a friend. i dont think it wouldve helped if i had been in a ring, because i froze up and just stood there and took a beating.

i think it was a good experience. me and him have decided to keep up the sparring, help eachother out, and figure out how to deal with the different looks a guy can give you.

also, i think we're gonna take a trip down to lowell, mass (30 minutes away from my hometown, salem nh) and pop by a boxing gym.

Dyl-G
08-20-2005, 02:05 AM
yeah my bad, thats what i meant, like do you actually box in gym

Pugnacious_Z
08-20-2005, 04:00 AM
ur 40 pounds lighter, its alot but not 2 much if u had been to a boxing gym and gotten sum skill. how many rounds did the spar go for? do u have any marks on ur face?

Scottie2Hottie
08-20-2005, 04:18 PM
3 rounds, no marks...he was hitting me around the jaw, on the headgear, rather than on the face, so aside from a little redness right after the fight im clean.

i dont think it was the 40 pounds that did me in, it was the fact that i got cement feet when i stepped in the ring. with more experience i think i could hold my own.

Tony Blitz
08-20-2005, 05:31 PM
don't sweat it bro, many people lose on their first sparring session, it's normal. My first spar was 4 rounds and I kept eating jabs and straights all night and just stood there without moving, then I came here and got some help from people and started practicing my movement on the heavybag. Next sparring session i knocked my friend out 1:12 in the first round :D he was sleeping on the ground for a minute and we were all around him with the wet towel under his neck and all, when he got back up he didn't speak a word the rest of the day he was so out of it. Then after that sparring session I felt overconfident and the next sparring session I wanted to swarm the guy but as soon as I got hit with a nice shot I just completely froze up until I snapped out of it then just countered everything he threw at me for 5 rounds and won a decision. I also TKO'd him in the first 30 seconds of round one with a left body hook-right body hook-left temple hook where there was minimal padding combo and made the guy sit down and take a 2 minute break because I wanted to test out my stamina for 5 rounds. You learn from your mistakes man, the more you make the better you'll become in the long run

Scottie2Hottie
08-20-2005, 07:38 PM
yeah, im not discouraged by it, im glad i have something to focus on now. plus, im hoping that by boxing with this big lug that ill be better prepared for fighting guys closer to my size.

enadeus
08-20-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm 147 and box at 140 and I faced a guy who is about 190. The best thing to do is outbox him, you wont hurt him with your punches escpecially the way you described the guy (really built and strong). What I did was avoid his punch, ended up avoiding every single one in the 3 round spar we had, and landed a few good body shots. He ended up chasing me around for the whole match and got really tired. Let your instincts control you and keep moving your head. Go for the body.

Atwa_66
08-21-2005, 03:31 AM
don't sweat it bro, many people lose on their first sparring session, it's normal. My first spar was 4 rounds and I kept eating jabs and straights all night and just stood there without moving, then I came here and got some help from people and started practicing my movement on the heavybag. Next sparring session i knocked my friend out 1:12 in the first round :D he was sleeping on the ground for a minute and we were all around him with the wet towel under his neck and all, when he got back up he didn't speak a word the rest of the day he was so out of it. Then after that sparring session I felt overconfident and the next sparring session I wanted to swarm the guy but as soon as I got hit with a nice shot I just completely froze up until I snapped out of it then just countered everything he threw at me for 5 rounds and won a decision. I also TKO'd him in the first 30 seconds of round one with a left body hook-right body hook-left temple hook where there was minimal padding combo and made the guy sit down and take a 2 minute break because I wanted to test out my stamina for 5 rounds. You learn from your mistakes man, the more you make the better you'll become in the long run
There's this one kid who is friends with my brother, and he bought fight night and thought he was all Boxer Badass (knowing nothing about the sport) He was complaining nobody would spar him, so I said I would, thinking he'd back down, because he knows I train. He was all exicited about it. So we put the gloves and headgear on and went at it....He moved around a bit, and took a right hook from me after missing a jab and ate the floor. 13 seconds, and he was done.

So about an hour later he was like fluke, and wanted to go again. So we strapped up, and he moved still, but got caught up, leaving his hands next to his head and not blocking his face, and ducking down, I rocked him with a right left combo (hooks) then landed a vicious uppercut to his unprotected face, dropped him, 23 seconds. He now says "I LIKE TO WATCH IT, BUT I JUST DON'T LIKE DOING IT" :D

j
08-21-2005, 10:15 AM
a little word of advice. be REALLY carefull about any type of sparring activity in either martial arts or boxing without the supervision of a qualified instructor. especially if one or both of the participants hasn't been trained in either. very serious injuries can happen easier than you would think.

and for the most part, sparring isn't about kicking the **** out of eachother. it is the laboratory where you work on things like timing, technique, etc.

GreenTea
08-22-2005, 04:01 AM
a little word of advice. be REALLY carefull about any type of sparring activity in either martial arts or boxing without the supervision of a qualified instructor. especially if one or both of the participants hasn't been trained in either. very serious injuries can happen easier than you would think.

and for the most part, sparring isn't about kicking the **** out of eachother. it is the laboratory where you work on things like timing, technique, etc.

I agree. Be wise, not stupid.

Mark_The_Shark
08-23-2005, 06:37 AM
must of taken guts to get in there practise makes perfrect go to a gym and sign up and then they can teach you how to throw more and faster and powerful punches and how to get in the inside then next time u do it it will be a different story

Scottie2Hottie
08-23-2005, 03:56 PM
yeah, he was a lot bigger than me, but i dont wanna hide behind that, know what i mean?

im worried about the whole boxing gym thing, because im going off to college and i cant bring my car. the closest gym to durham, nh is in like manchester, pretty far to walk if you look at a map. not to mention i dont think the recreation center at my college has any boxing equipment.

i really wanna box though, so what im gonna do is talk to the fitness director and see if i can use my own money to put boxing equipment in there (at least a heavy bag and a speed bag) and maybe start a boxing club...that seems to be my best bet for now.