View Full Version : Need Help with Power

Boricua86
08-19-2005, 10:39 AM
Now i know just as well as anybody in here that punchers are born not made. I know beyond a doubt im definetly not a puncher. however i was wondering since im a relative noob in boxing what exercises can be done to increase ur power somewhat. thnx.

Boricua86
08-19-2005, 10:43 AM
agh no replies yet i dunno if this will help but im 5'10 135 and 19 years old. Also if there any amateur boxers in here if they could plz point me in the general direction of good regimen for me to train under id appreciate it. Thnx

triggerhappy
08-19-2005, 10:46 AM
agh no replies yet i dunno if this will help but im 5'10 135 and 19 years old. Also if there any amateur boxers in here if they could plz point me in the general direction of good regimen for me to train under id appreciate it. Thnx
I would say hitting a real heavy punching bag would make you increase power

spinksjinx
08-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Squats
Snatch
Military press
barbell rows
Bench Press
Lunges

Few others but those will work...

triggerhappy
08-19-2005, 10:49 AM
Squats
Snatch
Military press
barbell rows
Bench Press
Lunges

Few others but those will work...
Hey spinks what is snatch?

Inf3rn0
08-19-2005, 11:19 AM
normal press ups? - faster the better.
sit ups, to generate power on hooks and uppers., when you trun your body
punching with weigths?

Boricua86
08-19-2005, 11:58 AM
thnx for all da info guys ill incorporate as much as ican

tebe6sm
08-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Hey spinks what is snatch?

barbell snatch: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Snatch

dumbbell snatch: http://www.warriorforce.com/rossboxingvideoclip.wmv (this is a video, the dumbbell snatch is about 1:10 into the clip)

plus, sandbags are great for working strength

triggerhappy
08-19-2005, 12:35 PM
barbell snatch: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Snatch

dumbbell snatch: http://www.warriorforce.com/rossboxingvideoclip.wmv (this is a video, the dumbbell snatch is about 1:10 into the clip)

plus, sandbags are great for working strength
thanks those are great workouts

CUFreeze
08-19-2005, 12:47 PM
i wish i could jump rope like that. i suck.

random guy
08-19-2005, 10:58 PM
you can skip rope like that it just takes time, it took me like 3 months to get it down

rocco1252
08-19-2005, 11:02 PM
I usually run and shadow box with wieghts on my wrists and ankles it works wonders not only for speed but power as well. Push ups are great as well make sure you hit 90 degree's with your elbows! Sit ups is true like someone previously said..I also used to do overhead lifts I dont know what they are called but I used a really heavy log and kept going from ground up over my head and down. Chop wood and stack it was my method I got lots of power!

Tony Blitz
08-19-2005, 11:15 PM

damn is that guy pro? He had some fast hard punches :eek:

rocco1252
08-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Nice video, that **** works!

GreenTea
08-22-2005, 05:33 AM
I know that my answer is not aimed straight at the question, but IŽd like the write it anyway.

1. Focus on your tecniques and correct the errors first in there before you start to worry about anything else.
2. Focus on timing.
3. The best way to learn the punches is shadow boxing or mitt work with an experienced trainer. Forget all kinds of bags. The purpose of the bag work is the whole different story. It is useless for the learning punches. It is same thing on the dead weights too.

It is a waste of time if you start to work on dead weights to improve your punching power if you have a poor tehcnique. The perfect technique is the everything. Without it you you wonŽt hit hard, even if you worked hard.
The timing is as important as the good technique. Without a perfect timing youŽll throw only the effortless punches.

When you have completed these things you can start to work on the dead weights and gain the extra power by working on them.

tebe6sm
08-22-2005, 10:16 AM
damn is that guy pro? He had some fast hard punches :eek:

He would have gone pro but he broke his hand three times in the amateurs.

strongisland24
08-24-2005, 01:49 PM
You can tell ross has alot of stamina and good technique but he lacks punching power just look at the bag.

Inf3rn0
08-24-2005, 06:13 PM
He would have gone pro but he broke his hand three times in the amateurs.
oh i thort ross was a pro, ah well,
explosice weights can increase power cant they?
lower weight - higher reps.

c0pe
08-24-2005, 07:40 PM
Yeh i find that press-ups and burpees work wonders.

BigDozer260
08-31-2005, 12:23 AM
I know that my answer is not aimed straight at the question, but IŽd like the write it anyway.

1. Focus on your tecniques and correct the errors first in there before you start to worry about anything else.
2. Focus on timing.
3. The best way to learn the punches is shadow boxing or mitt work with an experienced trainer. Forget all kinds of bags. The purpose of the bag work is the whole different story. It is useless for the learning punches. It is same thing on the dead weights too.

It is a waste of time if you start to work on dead weights to improve your punching power if you have a poor tehcnique. The perfect technique is the everything. Without it you you wonŽt hit hard, even if you worked hard.
The timing is as important as the good technique. Without a perfect timing youŽll throw only the effortless punches.

When you have completed these things you can start to work on the dead weights and gain the extra power by working on them.
Now this is a man who know what he's talkin bout. Improving skill is the quickest most effective way to increase power in sports. That is why most elite athelets have more than one coach. A skill coach and a conditioning coach. I'm my own certified conditioning coach so I'm ahead of the game. But the basic presses and pulls are the best for base strength and you're on your own as far as explosive power training, you have to learn and slowly increase intensity. I could tell you but my plyometric exercises will get a beginner hurt. But skill first, and conditioning as a supplement to your skills.

TonyLuong
08-31-2005, 12:25 AM
hehe jump rope is fun once you can do the boxer dance and crazy ****, gets ur heart rate up and a good warmup too, for punching power man...i know about made punchers and born punchers, but i follow my own philosophy, I Don't Give a **** if your born or made to punch. Train your ass off and it will benefit, the body adapts and gets stronger according to it's "environment" so keep challenging yourself with new obstacles and you will progress :)

blockburna944
08-31-2005, 12:58 AM
greentea and bigdozer are on the right track; all those exercises will increase your explosive power, but to transfer it to an effective punch is all technique.

just remember that your energy comes from the ground up, so make sure your coach explains stance really well: i personally stay on the balls of my feet and keep them roughly shoulder with apart and at 45 degrees (as opposed to square stance) or sometimes more if im trying to defend against someone who does a lot of infighting. when i throw any kind of power punch i try to sit on the punch (move my ass closer to the ground) and use a lot of hip twisting. my best punch is a right cross because i snap it really quick and follow through with my shoulder (but it leaves me really open when i miss bad)

im not the best at hooks, but from what i know you should get about 70% of the force from twisting the hips and the other 30% from arm movement. when uppercuting you should get the power from getting low and moving your hips slightly forward. a power jab just comes from getting low and stepping forward with your lead foot.

the main thing is get your coach/trainer to work on technique with you.