View Full Version : Heavy hitting heavyweights 1990-

joseph5620
11-16-2010, 10:21 PM
When talking about the hardest punching heavyweights, The names like Dempsey, Louis, Marciano, Shavers, Liston , Foreman, Tyson always come up. I want to exclude those fighters and focus on the hardest hitting heavyweights since 1990(minus Tyson). Not overall skill, but power. First to my mind are Lennox Lewis and Wladimir Klitschko. And less talented fighters like Morrison or Ruddock. Any other opinions on the hardest hitting heavyweights since 1990?

JAB5239
11-16-2010, 10:28 PM
When talking about the hardest punching heavyweights, The names like Dempsey, Louis, Marciano, Shavers, Liston , Foreman, Tyson always come up. I want to exclude those fighters and focus on the hardest hitting heavyweights since 1990(minus Tyson). Not overall skill, but power. First to my mind are Lennox Lewis and Wladimir Klitschko. And less talented fighters like Morrison or Ruddock. Any other opinions on the hardest hitting heavyweights since 1990?

David Tua comes to mind.

CarlosG815
11-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Ike Ibeabuchi
David Tua
Riddick Bowe
Andrew Golota

JAB5239
11-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Ike Ibeabuchi
David Tua
Riddick Bowe
Andrew Golota

Ibeabuchi's power is incredibly overrated in my opinion. His only big name ko was a former middleweight named Chris Byrd. Other than that he doesn't have an impressive ko on his resume unless we count pretenders and never were's. don't get me wrong, the guy had some tools in the bag. But since getting locked away he has become almost mythical in all aspects of boxing while he accomplished almost nothing.

Bowe is a very good pick.

XionComrade
11-16-2010, 10:41 PM

Frank Bruno - He gets alot of props from Earnie Shavers, and had horrific punching power even though he couldn't land one for **** and tightened up after round 3 so bad it was gone.

David Tua

Razor Ruddock

Tommy Morrison - Ray Mercer said he hit so hard it made him **** his pants, ridiculous! Should have taken a laxative before that one XD

Bert Cooper - Candidate for hardest hitter of that era IMHO. Put Holyfield down and Moorer

Lennox Lewis - I don't think he had terribly awesome power, but was deffinently above average

Wladimir - Self explanatory, I would say he hit harder than Lewis

Sugarj
11-17-2010, 05:13 AM
Dare I add David Haye as being a fairly heavy handed gent?

katsidis
11-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Tua
Lewis
Both Klitschkos
Mercer
Haye

Dare I add Sam Peter LOL

Tua probably the biggest puncher, not too many people I would bet on to take a David Tua left hook.

CarlosG815
11-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Ibeabuchi's power is incredibly overrated in my opinion. His only big name ko was a former middleweight named Chris Byrd. Other than that he doesn't have an impressive ko on his resume unless we count pretenders and never were's. don't get me wrong, the guy had some tools in the bag. But since getting locked away he has become almost mythical in all aspects of boxing while he accomplished almost nothing.

I disagree. He had many knockouts, and did you see the knockout of Chris Byrd? It was one punch that had him drooling and not able to comprehend what was happening.

One punch took away his legs and had him stunned until the fight was called.

RubenSonny
11-17-2010, 12:14 PM

Byrd still had a very good chin(he lasted against wlad the first time), Ike's power is overrated but that doesn't mean he didn't have a very good punch he definately deserves a mention here imo. That said I am Nigerian :lol1:

katsidis
11-17-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm sorry,when was Byrd a middleweight again? I'm looking at his record,and at no point in his career does it claim that he fought as a middleweight.

The Olympics

Holtol
11-17-2010, 02:59 PM
I think Corrie Sanders is up there for punching power. Rahman said after the fight it was the hardest he had been punched. Which is saying something since that fight was after he fought Tua.

JAB5239
11-18-2010, 01:30 AM
I disagree. He had many knockouts, and did you see the knockout of Chris Byrd? It was one punch that had him drooling and not able to comprehend what was happening.

One punch took away his legs and had him stunned until the fight was called.

Byrd still had a very good chin(he lasted against wlad the first time), Ike's power is overrated but that doesn't mean he didn't have a very good punch he definately deserves a mention here imo. That said I am Nigerian :lol1:

My point is that besides Byrd, Ibeabuchi never had a ko of one fighter who could even be considered top 25. Im not saying his power was crap, only overrated and not befitting of being mentioned here.

BigStereotype
11-18-2010, 01:36 AM
Lennox Lewis had a right hand like a freight train...Tommy Morrison's left hook was one-hitter-quitter power, but I think the biggest heavyweight puncher of the last twenty years is Tua. That dude just has freaky, vicious power. You can just feel every impact when you see him punch.

sonnyboyx2
11-18-2010, 03:24 AM
My point is that besides Byrd, Ibeabuchi never had a ko of one fighter who could even be considered top 25. Im not saying his power was crap, only overrated and not befitting of being mentioned here.

Ike had David Tua on unsteady legs on several occasions and that was the greatest shape we have ever seen David Tua which would mean Tua punched harder against Ike.. IMO Ike finished Tua as a contender.

sonnyboyx2
11-18-2010, 03:28 AM
Lennox Lewis had a right hand like a freight train...Tommy Morrison's left hook was one-hitter-quitter power, but I think the biggest heavyweight puncher of the last twenty years is Tua. That dude just has freaky, vicious power. You can just feel every impact when you see him punch.

Lewis had a devastating right-hand.. i cannot agree with you on David Tua who other than catching Ruiz cold and bombing out an old Moorer failed at world level and his power was nothing against Ibeabuchi

JAB5239
11-18-2010, 03:35 AM
Ike had David Tua on unsteady legs on several occasions and that was the greatest shape we have ever seen David Tua which would mean Tua punched harder against Ike.. IMO Ike finished Tua as a contender.

I wouldn't say he finished Tua as a contender, but he certainly helped expose his limitations as a fighter. If Tua couldn't beat you with his power he really had little else. That said, Ike was still in a see-saw battle and never really showed a true dominance in that fight in spite of his advantages.

I may be more inclined to say Tua finished Ike as a contender considering Ibeabuchi's mental episodes after fighting Tua, but that is only an opinion and very debatable.

JAB5239
11-18-2010, 03:40 AM
Lewis had a devastating right-hand.. i cannot agree with you on David Tua who other than catching Ruiz cold and bombing out an old Moorer failed at world level and his power was nothing against Ibeabuchi

O'Quendo, Sullivan, Izon, Rahman....all were top 20 fighters at the time Tua ko'd them. He has a much more impressive list of ko's compared to Ike, in my opinion.

sonnyboyx2
11-18-2010, 06:54 AM
O'Quendo, Sullivan, Izon, Rahman....all were top 20 fighters at the time Tua ko'd them. He has a much more impressive list of ko's compared to Ike, in my opinion.

Ike was only a 14 fight novice when he fought Tua, he then took care of Byrd who no one wanted to fight and to think Byrd went on to beat Holyfield, Tua & Vitali with those guys never coming near to knocking him out or even down is a testament to Ibeabuchi's punch-power and skill... Byrd was ranked No7 in the world the night he fought Ike.

JAB5239
11-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Ike was only a 14 fight novice when he fought Tua, he then took care of Byrd who no one wanted to fight and to think Byrd went on to beat Holyfield, Tua & Vitali with those guys never coming near to knocking him out or even down is a testament to Ibeabuchi's punch-power and skill... Byrd was ranked No7 in the world the night he fought Ike.

I still don't understand how it can be a testament to his power or skill. He never dominated him in the way Lewis did, and anything he may have hurt him with was due more to accumulation rather than just sheer power. Ike may have turned into a special fighter, we'll never know. At this point though he is just grossly overrated. To each his own though.

The_Demon
11-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Tua
Morrison
Briggs
Bowe
Sanders
Lewis

Jim Jeffries
11-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Some good names mentioned. Wlad Klitschko, unlike his brother (who's more of an accumulation puncher,) has some pretty heavy hands. Good left hook and right cross, he even dusted off the uppercut in the Peter rematch. Unfortunately he doesn't throw much besides the jab these days, the way he used to back in the Mercer days. I blame Steward.

Adamek's power doesn't seem to have carried to HW the way Haye's has.