View Full Version : pushups or bench press

11-12-2010, 03:43 PM
which one would be more beneficial to a more defined chest? Is one better than the other or are both about the same?

New England
11-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Bench pressing is generally considered a mass building type excercise
if you want to be bigger a gross movement like a bench press shoudl be in your routine

pushups are better for building athletic muscles in my opinion

but if you are looking to bulk up they wont be enough

i used to lift weights six days a week

if you want my advice
go for a run instead
it's better for your health and performance as an athlete

TheHolyCross
11-12-2010, 04:16 PM
bench presses will define ur chest, leave ur arms heavy and give u muscle for show

Sugarj
11-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Well it really depends on the weight you lift, the amount of reps you do and how good your technique is (no jerking movements, full range of motion to chest and back).

If you bench press a weight comparable to the weight of a pressup you will likely get a similar result with both exercises (if technique is good). It isn't difficult to rattle off 50-100 pressups in one go with moderate training.

The thing is, the bench press is usually used to build muscle, therefore heavier weights are usually used with lower reps. Pressups with quite a high number of reps are very much a toning/aerobic/cardio building exercise.

In my opinion the bench press is of benefit because you can also train on an incline or decline, thus giving upper and lower pectorals better development than the standard pressup.

I do both, excellent exercises...

Jack3d
11-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Bench pressing is generally considered a mass building type excercise
if you want to be bigger a gross movement like a bench press shoudl be in your routine

pushups are better for building athletic muscles in my opinion

but if you are looking to bulk up they wont be enough

i used to lift weights six days a week

if you want my advice
go for a run instead
it's better for your health and performance as an athlete

bench presses will define ur chest, leave ur arms heavy and give u muscle for show

http://i53.tinypic.com/15z1k77.jpg

Toy Story 3
11-12-2010, 07:46 PM
From my experience bench press is better. Makes your chest and arms stronger. I felt faster and stronger than ever when I was weight lifting. Stretch after you work out. It helps recovery and lets those amino acids flow. Push ups are good for stamina/endurance type of training. It's up to you whatever you want to do.

BrooklynBomber
11-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Bench press, now I dont mind all sorts of bodyweight programs, but honestly, if you want a decent chest you gotta press heavy weights. push ups really serve a different purpose rather then build chest, they are there for an overall muscular endurance and coordination of movement(more complicated forms of push ups)

Bastian Loc
11-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Pushups are far superior and provide you with functional strength unlike benching which just isolates one part of the body.

Don't listen to all this disinfo, you can be plenty ripped doing pushups alone and bodyweight exercises in general are just better for all around fitness.

Pushups also work out more parts of the body at once so you get more bang for your buck doing one pushup.

Weights are literally a waste of your time except for very narrow uses.

I'm pretty sure there are guys here that can bench a **** load of weight and look cool at they gym in front of other guys but probably couldn't do the more difficult push up variations, much less something like a one handed pushup or a planche pushup.

BrooklynBomber
11-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Pushups are far superior and provide you with functional strength unlike benching which just isolates one part of the body.

Don't listen to all this disinfo, you can be plenty ripped doing pushups alone and bodyweight exercises in general are just better for all around fitness.

Pushups also work out more parts of the body at once so you get more bang for your buck doing one pushup.

I'm pretty sure there are guys here that can bench a **** load of weight and look cool at they gym in front of other guys but probably couldn't do the more difficult push up variations, much less something like a one handed pushup or a planche pushup.

I read the bolded and had the "lmao" moment.
You do realize that bench press movement starts with the legs, it is NOT an isolation movement. Correct bench press form, the form that lets you actually press serious weight, recruits almost every major muscle group on your body.
Now, I got to admit that bench press is not the best exercise in the gym for overall strength or fitness, but to dismiss it as "for the show" is completely bias and unnecessary.

Bastian Loc
11-12-2010, 10:41 PM
You do realize that bench press movement starts with the legs, it is NOT an isolation movement. Correct bench press form, the form that lets you actually press serious weight, recruits almost every major muscle group on your body.
Now, I got to admit that bench press is not the best exercise in the gym for overall strength or fitness, but to dismiss it as "for the show" is completely bias and unnecessary.

We're talking about traditional benchpressing here right? With your back on a bench?

I don't ever remember benchpressing and feeling as though my legs were involved in any significant way.

It always felt like a complete isolation movement on my body.

paulsinghnl
11-12-2010, 10:44 PM
i favor pushups cuz i suck at bench press for some reason. you can much easier get injured doing bench press than doing pushups, you have different variations with the pushups which can be very effective too.

for more functional strength, go for pushups (and variations of it). if you want to go for size, strength, power, go for the bench press and don't be afraid to go for the heavier weights.

BrooklynBomber
11-12-2010, 10:49 PM
We're talking about traditional benchpressing here right? With your back on a bench?

I don't ever remember benchpressing and feeling as though my legs were involved in any significant way.

It always felt like a complete isolation movement on my body.

Traditional bench press movement starts with the leg drive, you specifically arch your back, and slightly pick up the backpart of your foot so that when you lower the barbell you actually start the lifting portion of the movement(eccentric part of the movement) with the leg drive, which then contracts the muscle on your lower back, your core muscles, then your upper back and then finally into your arms, delts and pecs.The guys who lift heavy would never be able to lift crazy weights like 500 +pounds with just the strength of their upper bodies, no amount of training and steroids would get them there.
The only real problem is that most people have a **** form and complete misunderstanding of the exercise.

Bastian Loc
11-12-2010, 10:50 PM
i favor pushups cuz i suck at bench press for some reason. you can much easier get injured doing bench press than doing pushups, you have different variations with the pushups which can be very effective too.

for more functional strength, go for pushups (and variations of it). if you want to go for size, strength, power, go for the bench press and don't be afraid to go for the heavier weights.

You can be just as buff as some guy who benches 500 and look better too just by doing pushups.

I posted this in a thread in the lounge on a similar subject.

Herschel Walker, no weights.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae32/ampline4life/Fight%20Photos/107_Greg_Nagy_vs_Herschel_Walker.jpg

Bastian Loc
11-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Traditional bench press movement starts with the leg drive, you specifically arch your back, and slightly pick up the backpart of your foot so that when you lower the barbell you actually start the lifting portion of the movement(eccentric part of the movement) with the leg drive, which then contracts the muscle on your lower back, your core muscles, then your upper back and then finally into your arms, delts and pecs.The guys who lift heavy would never be able to lift crazy weights like 500 +pounds with just the strength of their upper bodies, no amount of training and steroids would get them there.
The only real problem is that most people have a **** form and complete misunderstanding of the exercise.

I'm not saying its totally useless, I just think there is much better and effective ways of going about it that doesn't require any gym memberships or equipment.

Jack3d
11-12-2010, 10:54 PM
You can be just as buff as some guy who benches 500 and look better too just by doing pushups.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae32/ampline4life/Fight%20Photos/107_Greg_Nagy_vs_Herschel_Walker.jpg

Do you honestly believe that bull****? That he did nothing but push-ups and bodyweight exercises to look like that?

I also heard that nowadays he says he is able to maintain what he has by eating nothing but soup and salad.

That is 100% bull***** and if for some reason it wasn't, not everyone can follow that routine and diet and look like that.

That's like trying to teach someone how to fight like Roy Jones

BrooklynBomber
11-12-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm not saying its totally useless, I just think there is much better and effective ways of going about it that doesn't require any gym memberships or equipment.

It's possible, but not likely. Take sprinters for example, I dont like using boxers because you cant get good at boxing by just throwing a bunch of punches in the air, you can get really good at sprints by just doing sprints all the time, however if you look at serious sprinters who compete on state or national level, they all bust their asses in the gym as well as the court. Why? because weight training helps you achieve your genetic potential based just on how versatile it is compared to just running. Your body very quickly adopts to bodyweight training, and the better you get at exercise A, the faster you will adopt to the next exercise you choose. It does not work that way with weight training.

BrooklynBomber
11-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Do you honestly believe that bull****? That he did nothing but push-ups and bodyweight exercises to look like that?

I also heard that nowadays he says he is able to maintain what he has by eating nothing but soup and salad.

That is 100% bull***** and if for some reason it wasn't, not everyone can follow that routine and diet and look like that.

No way that dude is natural, just no way.

Jim Jeffries
11-12-2010, 11:01 PM

At age 48, no less. Reminds me of a good friend of my dad's, Ray Mordt, who played for the South African Springboks back in the 80's. Dude never touched a weight in his life, but was ripped as hell, just from bodyweight exercises. Came over here and tried out for the USFL in the mid 80s, smoked everyone in the 40, but was rejected because they said he was too old (at like 26 I think) to learn football.

I went into basic training weighing 155, benching about 215 and came out weighing 175 benching 245 never having touched a weight in 8 weeks. When I went to Phoenix last year to visit friends, I hadn't touched a weight in over 3 years and still managed to bench 265 twice, just from doing push ups, dips and pull ups.

So I don't think there's a hell of a lot of difference, though I do miss benching with olympic style free weights.

Bastian Loc
11-12-2010, 11:04 PM

There's other people that look just like him that do the same thing. I've seen interviews where he does thousands of reps of pushups, dips, pull ups etc.

With that kind of volume of course he can look like that naturally.

Try doing 30 pullups a day nonstop and I guarantee you'll look pretty damn good, much less doing 300.

Of course its possible, how do you think guys got big in the past before the invention of gyms and workout machines?

Come on man, you ever see a Roman centurion waiting to use the curl machine?

:lol1:

Bastian Loc
11-12-2010, 11:06 PM
At age 48, no less. Reminds me of a good friend of my dad's, Ray Mordt, who played for the South African Springboks back in the 80's. Dude never touched a weight in his life, but was ripped as hell, just from bodyweight exercises. Came over here and tried out for the USFL in the mid 80s, smoked everyone in the 40, but was rejected because they said he was too old (at like 26 I think) to learn football.

I went into basic training weighing 155, benching about 215 and came out weighing 175 benching 245 never having touched a weight in 8 weeks. When I went to Phoenix last year to visit friends, I hadn't touched a weight in over 3 years and still managed to bench 265 twice, just from doing push ups, dips and pull ups.

So I don't think there's a hell of a lot of difference, though I do miss benching with olympic style free weights.

Of course its possible, I think some people are just threatened by it because they do weights and they feel like we're diminishing weight training.

You wanna do weights? Do weights, but don't sneer at those who choose other paths because you can get results other ways that I would argue are better for overall fitness anyway.

Without wasting money and time driving to a gym all the time.

BrooklynBomber
11-12-2010, 11:09 PM
There's other people that look just like him that do the same thing. I've seen interviews where he does thousands of reps of pushups, dips, pull ups etc.

With that kind of volume of course he can look like that naturally.

Try doing 30 pullups a day nonstop and I guarantee you'll look pretty damn good, much less doing 300.

Of course its possible, how do you think guys got big in the past before the invention of gyms and workout machines?

Come on man, you ever see a Roman centurion waiting to use the curl machine?

:lol1:

Pullups a great movement, but if you can do 30 bodyweight pull ups, try doing 10 with 50 pounds attached to your belt.

BTW, roman centurions did quite a bit of weight training, in fact we got most of our training principles coming from the ancient greek era. Moreover, we also have our "perfect proportions" principles from the greeks.
Although back then trainees mostly concentrated on deadlifts and shoulder press variations rather then bench press.

Bastian Loc
11-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Pullups a great movement, but if you can do 30 bodyweight pull ups, try doing 10 with 50 pounds attached to your belt.

BTW, roman centurions did quite a bit of weight training, in fact we got most of our training principles coming from the ancient greek era. Moreover, we also have our "perfect proportions" principles from the greeks.
Although back then trainees mostly concentrated on deadlifts and shoulder press variations rather then bench press.

I'm not against ALL weight training, like your pull up example or attaching a little extra weight on dips or something.

For me its just a supplemental thing, but 95% of everything else I do is centered around body weight.

led
11-12-2010, 11:13 PM

i agree, on functional strength push ups, IMO, is better as long as you dont do the traditional one.

i was once in this gym, where a friend's friend boast of 200 lbs benche press with matching irritating moans. i got irritated so i dared him. i can bench press at least 150 lbs. but ill a have a one arm push ups of 20 reps to his 5. damn, he could barely do at least 2.

Jim Jeffries
11-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Of course its possible, I think some people are just threatened by it because they do weights and they feel like we're diminishing weight training.

You wanna do weights? Do weights, but don't sneer at those who choose other paths because you can get results other ways that I would argue are better for overall fitness anyway.

Without wasting money and time driving to a gym all the time.

I always get a kick out of the people who drive around the gym parking lot for 10 min looking for a parking spot close to the entrance.

And yeah there's no one perfect method for putting on/maintaining muscle mass. I've been accused of doing steroids, even now all I have to do is throw a wife beater on to get stares/compliments, and I probably don't spend 20 minutes a week on strength training, eat pretty much whatever I feel like (though I do eat fairly healthy overall.)

XionComrade
11-13-2010, 02:28 AM

Yeah I gotta go with Insect, you went full retard on this one lol

Spray_resistant
11-13-2010, 02:38 AM
No reason why you couldn't incorporate both in your chest routine but with both to develop a well defined chest you need to hit different parts of the muscle and you can do that with inclines at different levels for both the bench and push ups. dumbell flies are good too also at different inclines.

josh-hill
11-13-2010, 05:56 AM
wich is best depends what you want to do. essentialy they are the same though, but with benching you have more control over the weight. you can go suoer light or realy heavy so it can be tailored to what you want to work on. so i say bench wins

Spartacus Sully
11-13-2010, 07:39 AM

if you can do 30 body weight pull ups then you should say **** weights and work on doing front levers and over the bar pull ups staggered pull ups and 1 arm pull ups till instead of 30 body weight pull ups your doing 30 front levers or you could incorporate time into the routine. a pro rock climber routine i read once had you hang for 10 seconds do a slow pull up hold out on the top till you dropped then hang for 11 seoncds and do te same thing then 12 ect ect till you cant then just reverse back to 10 seonds. and you know that when your hanging to do a pull up your shoulders should allways be flexed right?

as far as push ups and bench pressing goes i guess both are good push ups maybe better for functional strength but for a boxer i would recommend decline push ups or incline bench presses much much more.

alza1988
11-13-2010, 08:55 AM
You could even do both or mix it up with like weighted vest push-ups and that 1 arm push-ups but I would go with bench because you can go alot heavier .Push-ups are still good tho alot of world champs never lifted a weight I read on Rosstraining .Calzaghe was one .

renren40
11-13-2010, 09:05 AM
do what i do...

work the bench (flat, incline, decline)

then butterflies

then 4 sets of pushups until muscle failure for eac set

BrooklynBomber
11-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Yeah I gotta go with Insect, you went full retard on this one lol

Talk to me, only when addressed to, boy, is that clear?
Now **** off until I summon you.

josh-hill
11-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Talk to me, only when addressed to, boy, is that clear?
Now **** off until I summon you.

im with brooklyn on this. insect/ xion comrade it depends how you do it. lots of people bench with **** form. to do bench properly you do use your legs. it dosnt work them out but you need to envolve them for a stable base. all of your muscles are used to provide a solid platform to push against.
benchig wont work out these parts but if you dont make them strong you wont be able to bench heavy weights.

Spray_resistant
11-13-2010, 12:59 PM
do what i do...

work the bench (flat, incline, decline)

then butterflies

then 4 sets of pushups until muscle failure for eac set

I do something very similar to that myself and I have noticed improvements.

D.I.E.S.E.L
11-13-2010, 01:11 PM

:rolleyes: ^

Anyway, why choose either or when you can combine them for a better workout. However only switch from bench to push ups, if you do this the other way around you won't have the same energy, don't take my word for it TS, experiment. When working the chest leave pushups as the last exercise to fill the upper body with blood.

Bastian Loc
11-13-2010, 01:21 PM

He's overdoing it.

josh-hill
11-13-2010, 02:34 PM
He's overdoing it.

you cant possibly know that. if he dose that everyday then yes, but once a week or even twice would bbe fine depending on what other exercise you do and how much you eat

Clint650
11-13-2010, 03:14 PM

i will say that incorporating floor exercises (push-ups and planks) along with lifting would be the best. push ups have an advantage since you can do them anywhere, use different variations, all with less fatigue on the body. Heavy weights will add mass. from personal experience i got better results from concentrating more on planks and push-up variations (doing a little more each time) than i have with pyramid bench pressing and dumbbell pressing. Still it all has to do with incorporating a weekly schedule to train your body to progress and get the proper recovery times otherwise you will run the risk of injury or over training. everybody is different but i would concentrate more on planks, push-ups and using your own body weight as opposed to just bulking up in one exercise that will take much more time to recover. push-ups all day.

check hook
11-16-2010, 02:46 AM
which one would be more beneficial to a more defined chest? Is one better than the other or are both about the same?

i found that doing bench in isolation isn't as good as doing both. When i incorporated push-ups daily, and bench 2 times a week my strength increased and i was able to bench more.

Volume trainng on bench is good too. E.g. Soemthing like 60% of you max lift for 10x reps of 10x sets with 30 second or one minute break in btw.

josh-hill
11-16-2010, 03:55 AM
i think the best way would be to do other chest exercises as well as bench and pushups. maybe BB bench, decline DB ches press and weighted dipps? then finish that workout off with pushups to failier. thats what i would do.

oside4life
11-17-2010, 06:30 AM
i think the best way would be to do other chest exercises as well as bench and pushups. maybe BB bench, decline DB ches press and weighted dipps? then finish that workout off with pushups to failier. thats what i would do.
exact samething i do

Mickey Gomez
11-17-2010, 07:23 AM
This thread reeks of bull****.

Spartacus Sully
11-17-2010, 08:26 AM
This thread reeks of bull****.

so your opinion is? push ups? bench pressing? neither?

Darkstranger
11-17-2010, 09:34 AM

This is 100% correct.

If you bench press properly you'll feel it in alot more places than just the chest.

As far as having a defined chest, only diet will make the difference.

the_blueprint
11-17-2010, 10:54 AM
surely your somatatype has something to do with it?

i'm not part of a gym and dont have enough room for a bench at home, which sucks, but for getting bigger then bench for definition push ups

josh-hill
11-17-2010, 01:22 PM
exact samething i do

oh good. dose it work?

aciovacco
11-21-2010, 12:42 AM
A great modification to bench press for any combat athlete is to do Dumb Bell press. Its more realistic in the sense that you can use 1 are at a time, in boxing you will never throw a right and left at the exact same time. I like to use 70 percent of my max weight with dumb bells.

Do 1 side at a time and with the other side hold the weight slightly above your chest so there is still resistance

Do 12 to 15 reps then switch sides. Do 3 sets no rest. It will recruit every muscle fiber in your chest for an incredible burn and pump. It will also strengthen your shoulders and stabilizer muscles.

Tejas
11-08-2011, 04:25 AM

Push ups can give an incredible chest ....... just work your way up to tougher versions... after mastering standard push ups try diamond ....... if even that seems easy try uneven (with one hand on a basketball)..... eventually do the one arm push up, without legs splayed..... that is equal to (if you are 170lb) bench pressing 220 pounds.... combined with athletic benefit and healthy shoulders..... it blows bench presses out of the water

jaded
11-08-2011, 05:11 AM
To build real power you want to use the heaviest weight for the fewest reps...ie:1 x max bench press. Push-ups only use a small percentage of you body weight which is why you can do so many of them. I can bench close to 2 times my body weight for 1 rep...but I can do 75 push-ups before muscle failure. And you will definitely be using your legs and pushing off from you heels to bench heavy weights...a lot of people don't know how to bench properly for power...but anyone who does will tell you that they are using their whole body when they do. I did push-ups for years before I started lifting weights...but didn't develop my chest or body to any great extent until I started lifting weights.

BTW...Hershel Walker claims he no longer lifts weights...but back in the day when he played in the NFL he was a monster and weight training was a big part of his life. And as for big muscles making you slow...ever hear of a guy named Mike Tyson? Evander Holyfield hired Lee Haney (former champion bodybuilder) to take him from Cruiserweight to Heavyweight and still lifts weight in the mornings as part of his boxing training.

IronBoxer
11-08-2011, 01:53 PM

Resistance is resistance. Your body doesn't know whether you're doing a bench press or a push up, it simply contracts to a specific load. However I tend to favor push ups over the bench press for the following reasons

1) All you need is your own body-weight and some floor space
2) Push ups seldom affect speed
3) There are endless variations to make them more challenging(i.e. knuckle, feet elevated, diamond, clap etc)
4) Your shoulders are not locked when doing them(this is why alot of people get shoulder injuries when doing bench presses aside from improper technique and/or too much weight).

However if you want to do bench presses, then thats fine. Just remember to keep both feet on the ground, don'tr arch your back and use proper weight and technique.

Note however that muscular definition is not the result of doing high reps. It is the result of diet and exercise. So if you want to shed the pounds morning roadwork, boxing training and proper dieting is most important.Good luck.

sammiza567
11-08-2011, 02:12 PM
this thread fails. both.

thatjamaicanguy
11-08-2011, 09:32 PM
this thread fails. both.

I agree, the best way to build power is to work on your technique

IronBoxer
11-09-2011, 08:48 PM
BTW...Hershel Walker claims he no longer lifts weights...but back in the day when he played in the NFL he was a monster and weight training was a big part of his life.

Really? I heard he never lifted weights during his collegiate and professional career, only body-weight exercises and the only time he did lift weights was for the Combine test where he surprisingly out-repped everyone else

jaded
11-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Really? I heard he never lifted weights during his collegiate and professional career, only body-weight exercises and the only time he did lift weights was for the Combine test where he surprisingly out-repped everyone else

His high school couldn't afford weights. He started in '82 during the end of college at 20 yrs old...1 year before turning pro. Read at the bottom of the second page where he talks of the progress he was starting to make with weight lifting...nobody gets that big without lifting weights. He waited until he felt he was unable to make progress anymore without weightlifting and knew that other athletes had made great progress with it and did not become slow. It was basically his teens in which he did not lift weights...and that's not unusual even for someone who will become a pro.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/Whammer79/scan0001-6.gif
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/Whammer79/scan0002-7.gif

BTW...this is what he looked like in his senior college year at Georgia...which is very different from what he turned into with full on weight training (and likely other things besides exercise)

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Herschel-Walker.jpg

wave
11-09-2011, 11:19 PM
look at these guys, no weights

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k8rBFvX7fH0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k8rBFvX7fH0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

jaded
11-10-2011, 01:10 AM
look at these guys, no weights

and no legs...

Silkster
11-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Joe Louis didn't bench press and neither did Joe Fraiser. Both were strong as oxes and could punch a hole thru a brick wall.
Stay true like the old school vets do. Pushups are better. Lifting weights in general imo just isn't as good as using what the good lord gave you. Weight training is for bodybuilders, and guys trying out for the cast of jersey shore. Its really unnessesary for a pugalist.

the_blueprint
11-12-2011, 11:00 PM
look up hanniball king on youtube, all he does are bodyweight excersises. he has been doing it for 16 years, but his strength is unreal and he is really really toned

JC Warrior
11-13-2011, 12:49 AM
You want a defined chest then it's a no-brainer - bench press. Finger striations in the middle, squared-off and chiseled chest will come from far fewer reps of weighted bench press than a comparative amount of pushups. To get the chest gains from pushups you would have to be in the Herschel Walker mode of 1500+ pushups a day.

For a defined chest its bench all the way.

salem-no1
11-13-2011, 03:27 AM
Honestly i only read the first page of information but the all the advice is wrong and "bro-science" none of them actualy know what there talking about.

I study sport strength and conditioning at university, here is a proper explanation, take it or leave it.

It all depends on the rep range, amount of sets and resistance. For boxing, you want to build POWER and to get your maximum potential of your power you need STRENGH. Now how do you train strengh and power. Far to complex to go into the ins and outs on here, however.....

To train Strengh you want to be working at 90% of your 1RM with a rep range of 4-6, your intensions should be to move the weight as fast as you can, this will recruit fast twitch muscle fibres. When training power you need to be at 70% to 85% of your 1rm with a rep range of 3-5 sets ranging from 2-6 on both strengh and power depending on your exercises.

Doing high numbers of Press ups recruit slow twitch muscle the wrong sort of muscle fibres to build power and strengh, which is what we all want. Press ups build muscular endurance, something i prefer to gain from punching the bag, doing the pads, shadow boxing and sparring. The only practical use for press ups in training is not in my strength and conditioing sessions. In a boxing session inbetween rounds, you could bang out 20 press ups to simulate fatigue.

I know im going against the old school methods here and 99.999% percent of past and present champions havnt used these methods and look at there success and power in there punches. However science has advanced, look at every other sports training methods change within the last 20 years , where as boxing has been left in stone age.
contact me on saidsalem@hotmail.co.uk if your interested in a personalized Strength and Conditioning program.

wave
11-14-2011, 10:39 PM
and no legs...

still stronger and look better than 99% of people in the gym

jaded
11-14-2011, 10:52 PM
still stronger and look better than 99% of people in the gym

a) Real strength comes from the legs and that is probably the reason why the wear those long baggy shorts. Notice the lack of calves? There is no way to substitute a heavy squat or leg press/hamstring curl/weighted calf raise.

b) Go to any gym and you will see guys who lift weights doing pull ups...sometimes with a dumbbell wrap wrap at their feet. There is nothing to say those guys never lift weights in a gym...they likely do.

I'm not taking anything away from those guys...they have done well and are in shape...just saying.

OldMoney91
11-15-2011, 01:03 AM
Honestly i only read the first page of information but the all the advice is wrong and "bro-science" none of them actualy know what there talking about.

I study sport strength and conditioning at university, here is a proper explanation, take it or leave it.

It all depends on the rep range, amount of sets and resistance. For boxing, you want to build POWER and to get your maximum potential of your power you need STRENGH. Now how do you train strengh and power. Far to complex to go into the ins and outs on here, however.....

To train Strengh you want to be working at 90% of your 1RM with a rep range of 4-6, your intensions should be to move the weight as fast as you can, this will recruit fast twitch muscle fibres. When training power you need to be at 70% to 85% of your 1rm with a rep range of 3-5 sets ranging from 2-6 on both strengh and power depending on your exercises.

Doing high numbers of Press ups recruit slow twitch muscle the wrong sort of muscle fibres to build power and strengh, which is what we all want. Press ups build muscular endurance, something i prefer to gain from punching the bag, doing the pads, shadow boxing and sparring. The only practical use for press ups in training is not in my strength and conditioing sessions. In a boxing session inbetween rounds, you could bang out 20 press ups to simulate fatigue.

I know im going against the old school methods here and 99.999% percent of past and present champions havnt used these methods and look at there success and power in there punches. However science has advanced, look at every other sports training methods change within the last 20 years , where as boxing has been left in stone age.
contact me on saidsalem@hotmail.co.uk if your interested in a personalized Strength and Conditioning program.

how much do you charge for personalized training?

wave
11-17-2011, 11:24 AM
a) Real strength comes from the legs and that is probably the reason why the wear those long baggy shorts. Notice the lack of calves? There is no way to substitute a heavy squat or leg press/hamstring curl/weighted calf raise.

b) Go to any gym and you will see guys who lift weights doing pull ups...sometimes with a dumbbell wrap wrap at their feet. There is nothing to say those guys never lift weights in a gym...they likely do.

I'm not taking anything away from those guys...they have done well and are in shape...just saying.

i doubt those dudes you see in the gym squatting 600lbs could do a single muscle up

jaded
11-17-2011, 06:30 PM
I doubt you have even been to a gym...lots of big guys in gyms are doing sets of pull-ups with heavy plates attached to a pull up belt dude. You can see videos online of Arnold and Ronnie Coleman doing them.

Walt Liquor
11-18-2011, 08:30 AM

:lol1::lol1:

prime examples of slow twitch muscle building "press ups"...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ICpdS_waiQ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7riaotoj2yk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

you need to give all your clients a refund and quit that garbage school....

Edmo
11-24-2011, 08:33 AM
I think push ups is more beneficial for the chest as compared to bench press. Because there is a least chance of injuries and It also give the strength to your arms.