View Full Version : Jumping Rope

Inonly25
11-05-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm curious on what jumping ropes really do to you.
Which is better, jumping ropes or running/jogging? or both?
Someone please explain this to me. I want to burn body fat. Especially my belly fat. Thanks!

rockymarciano1
11-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Depends which your best at. If you want to get rid of fat around your midsection do ab work after running.

Cuauhtémoc1520
11-05-2010, 03:08 PM
According to a study that was recently done, jumping rope burns more fat than running, jogging, swimming or just about any simple exercise you can do.

Plus, it also helps with your footwork if you do it properly and like a boxer should. Everything in the boxing gym is tied together for footwork, defense and offense.

Joachim
11-05-2010, 06:37 PM
HErpaderperperp Derp.

paulsinghnl
11-05-2010, 07:51 PM
get a leather jumprope and try doing that for like 30 minutes straight, works your shoulders, your back, your calves, your thighs. great workout.

Sugarj
11-05-2010, 10:50 PM
I must admit I'm a keen runner and a keen skipper.

But there is no two ways about it, running is a better cardio exercise for building fitness.

In response to what Mr 1502 says about it burning fat better than anything else, it really comes down to pace of the exercise, not just the exercise itself. If you run 30 minutes hard you'll burn more fat than 30 minutes of skipping at a moderate pace.

If I speedskip for half an hour with allsorts of double jumps, crossovers, knee lifts and step variations it wont leave me anywhere as tired as trying to run 4.5-5 miles in the same time. I guess that is because the legs get lifted higher in running at a good 6-7 minute mile pace......and you have to keep to that pace by stopwatch!

Remember too that running different routes keeps training fresh, with skipping you are largely confined to where you skip in one place. Half an hour plus or repeated rounds with nothing to stare at (unless there are gorgeous girls about!) can be a bit tedious day in day out.

Also its easy to cheat a little with skipping, you can slow down at any point or avoid doing doubles etc if you are a bit tired. With a timed run, you need to push to meet your pace or beat your last time. Skipping offers very little measurable improvement.

That said, skipping is a great exercise, excellent for coordination and especially for boxing footwork (better than running as you are more closely mirroring movements in the ring).

led
11-06-2010, 01:13 AM
According to a study that was recently done, jumping rope burns more fat than running, jogging, swimming or just about any simple exercise you can do.

Plus, it also helps with your footwork if you do it properly and like a boxer should. Everything in the boxing gym is tied together for footwork, defense and offense.

skipping is also good for the shoulder.

anyway, am interested in that study hope you can give the link so i might check the validity of that study. thank you.

Inonly25
11-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all your inputs. Hope to see more.

get a leather jumprope and try doing that for like 30 minutes straight, works your shoulders, your back, your calves, your thighs. great workout.

Aww I just bought a ALTUS one which I think is rubber.
Why leather by the way?

led
11-07-2010, 02:22 AM
Thanks for all your inputs. Hope to see more.

Aww I just bought a ALTUS one which I think is rubber.
Why leather by the way?

leather doesnt kink that much and easier to use. but it all depends on your comfortability. when you are good and fast enough to jump rope, you can use the weighted one.

Inonly25
11-07-2010, 05:46 PM

How exactly should a boxer jump rope?

Left2theliver
11-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Why not do both? take 3 days of the week and use those to run, and the other 2 use for jumping rope, then rotate.

Inonly25
11-08-2010, 12:22 AM
How long should a boxer jump rope?

Cuauhtémoc1520
11-08-2010, 11:55 AM
I must admit I'm a keen runner and a keen skipper.

But there is no two ways about it, running is a better cardio exercise for building fitness.

In response to what Mr 1502 says about it burning fat better than anything else, it really comes down to pace of the exercise, not just the exercise itself. If you run 30 minutes hard you'll burn more fat than 30 minutes of skipping at a moderate pace.

If I speedskip for half an hour with allsorts of double jumps, crossovers, knee lifts and step variations it wont leave me anywhere as tired as trying to run 4.5-5 miles in the same time. I guess that is because the legs get lifted higher in running at a good 6-7 minute mile pace......and you have to keep to that pace by stopwatch!

Remember too that running different routes keeps training fresh, with skipping you are largely confined to where you skip in one place. Half an hour plus or repeated rounds with nothing to stare at (unless there are gorgeous girls about!) can be a bit tedious day in day out.

Also its easy to cheat a little with skipping, you can slow down at any point or avoid doing doubles etc if you are a bit tired. With a timed run, you need to push to meet your pace or beat your last time. Skipping offers very little measurable improvement.

That said, skipping is a great exercise, excellent for coordination and especially for boxing footwork (better than running as you are more closely mirroring movements in the ring).

skipping is also good for the shoulder.

anyway, am interested in that study hope you can give the link so i might check the validity of that study. thank you.

Here's a link that I found that goes with what I have said about jumping rope. You are right, if you sprint then you will burn more calories that jumping rope but if you jog (which most people do when they call it running or road work) you won't burn as much fat as the rope.

http://www.shapefit.com/cardio-exercises.html

I couldn't find the study I read (which was about 3 years ago) but almost every link I found basically says the same thing.

The great advantages about jumping rope for me are:

#1 - You don't need a ton of space

#2 - It's an incredible work out

#3 - It's easier on the joint believe it or not. I have a really bad knee and have trouble running but jumping rope is easier for me.

#5 - It's easier to keep a steady pace and burn more fat than running. Again, if you incorporate sprinting, you will burn more fat but sprinting is short lived. We all know you need to reach your target heart rate to be in fat burning mode and jumping rope is a great way to reach and maintain that heart rate.

#6 - It teaches you to move the way you would in boxing. It's great for learning proper footwork and balance if you do it right.

Cuauhtémoc1520
11-08-2010, 11:59 AM
How exactly should a boxer jump rope?

You know, going from foot to foot, keeping a rhythm and balance between the two.

Most people jump rope with two feet, boxers tend to jump rope mostly with one foot at a time, like this. This guy gives an excellent example and why you should move the way you do.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6qOIqhVWWxI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6qOIqhVWWxI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

T.Horton
11-08-2010, 12:20 PM
I run, break for thirty seconds to a minute, and then jump a round. Five days a week. I don't know how effective it is but I feel like I am in phenomenal shape.

Can anybody offer an opinion as to what you think of the above mentioned? Am I getting the best bang for my buck working the way that I do??

Cuauhtémoc1520
11-08-2010, 12:28 PM
I run, break for thirty seconds to a minute, and then jump a round. Five days a week. I don't know how effective it is but I feel like I am in phenomenal shape.

Can anybody offer an opinion as to what you think of the above mentioned? Am I getting the best bang for my buck working the way that I do??

I'm not an expert but my close friend is a nutritionist. She schools me to a lot of misconceptions about nutrition and exercise.

I think you are doing fine, as long as you have a good wind and can keep that up, sounds like you are working your heart out.

The key to cardio work is achieving the proper heart rate. It depends on your age and weight but once you reach a certain heart beat per minute, that's when your body starts burning fat and working out the heart.

Sugarj
11-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Here's a link that I found that goes with what I have said about jumping rope. You are right, if you sprint then you will burn more calories that jumping rope but if you jog (which most people do when they call it running or road work) you won't burn as much fat as the rope.

I couldn't find the study I read (which was about 3 years ago) but almost every link I found basically says the same thing.

#3 - It's easier on the joint believe it or not. I have a really bad knee and have trouble running but jumping rope is easier for me.

#5 - It's easier to keep a steady pace and burn more fat than running. Again, if you incorporate sprinting, you will burn more fat but sprinting is short lived. We all know you need to reach your target heart rate to be in fat burning mode and jumping rope is a great way to reach and maintain that heart rate.

#6 - It teaches you to move the way you would in boxing. It's great for learning proper footwork and balance if you do it right.

I'd agree with much of this. The only distinction I would make is in the fine lines between jogging/running and sprints.

I would agree that skipping probably is a better workout than jogging.

As for running, I would say that even fast skipping probably would equate to a 7.5 to 8 minute per mile running pace. I would class this as a moderate to slow running pace......but faster than jogging (which can be a fair bit slower!).

For decent boxing training I'd recommend running at a pace of between 6 and 7 minutes to the mile. Now this pace is nowhere near the sprint pace, but would certainly give you a more calorific/cardio/fat burning workout than skipping (minute for minute).

Sugarj
11-08-2010, 12:46 PM

How long or how far do you run before your 30 second or so break?

Cuauhtémoc1520
11-08-2010, 12:56 PM
I'd agree with much of this. The only distinction I would make is in the fine lines between jogging/running and sprints.

I would agree that skipping probably is a better workout than jogging.

As for running, I would say that even fast skipping probably would equate to a 7.5 to 8 minute per mile running pace. I would class this as a moderate to slow running pace......but faster than jogging (which can be a fair bit slower!).

For decent boxing training I'd recommend running at a pace of between 6 and 7 minutes to the mile. Now this pace is nowhere near the sprint pace, but would certainly give you a more calorific/cardio/fat burning workout than skipping (minute for minute).

There's no doubt running is essential in training for boxing. I just find the rope to be a great alternative for it, especially if space is limited or weather doesn't allow running.

My knee is all but done, I have almost no cartilage in it and the doctor says when I become an old man I will need surgery and an implant just to be able to walk in the future. Not good but for some reason, jumping rope doesn't bother me as much as running does.

It must be the movement or impact, I don't know but thank God for the jump rope....heheh

Sugarj
11-08-2010, 01:04 PM
There's no doubt running is essential in training for boxing. I just find the rope to be a great alternative for it, especially if space is limited or weather doesn't allow running.

My knee is all but done, I have almost no cartilage in it and the doctor says when I become an old man I will need surgery and an implant just to be able to walk in the future. Not good but for some reason, jumping rope doesn't bother me as much as running does.

It must be the movement or impact, I don't know but thank God for the jump rope....heheh

Yea, it sounds like roadwork could cause your knee some serious grief!

I really enjoy skipping, I'd just say that for a serious alternative to roadwork I'd skip very quickly and do lots of double jumps to make up for it.

Cuauhtémoc1520
11-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Yea, it sounds like roadwork could cause your knee some serious grief!

I really enjoy skipping, I'd just say that for a serious alternative to roadwork I'd skip very quickly and do lots of double jumps to make up for it.

I jump rope a lot, my calves are testament to that. I wish I could run but I can't, not for long distances. I recently ran a 5k and a 10k and almost didn't finish the 10k because of pain to my knee.

Sh1t sux man...

Crazylegs77
11-08-2010, 01:29 PM
I jump rope a lot, my calves are testament to that. I wish I could run but I can't, not for long distances. I recently ran a 5k and a 10k and almost didn't finish the 10k because of pain to my knee.

Sh1t sux man...

my calves are currently recovering from a week of too much jump roping haha

its a great exercise as you pointed out dont need much room etc etc

definately have seen my endurace up from it, even do it when lifting weights 60 jump rope between sets great way to keep the heart rate going and maximize a short wrokout. Never was one for running.

bigboy11
11-08-2010, 04:22 PM
it's one of the best overall fitness workout there is.

led
11-08-2010, 11:05 PM

thanks man for the link. ill consider it.

btw, in this link the jumping rope is under the category of HIIT, which is anaerobic. best result i guess is running and jump rope should work hand in hand to get result.

if that makes you in shape, then its good. i just dont know if time will come, it will affect your tendons. imagine you are running then, then you punish your joints by jumping.

i'll share you a bit of my routine: i run for every 300 m (my approximate) i do at least 30 push ups (or how much you can do that not necessarily make your muscle shoulder fatigue) or when i see trees where i can do pull ups, i do at least them to give my knees a break without giving my heart a rest.

i jump rope thrice a week. i do 3 mins. intense (5-6 sets) and i do faster than a regular walk for a minute as a break, for the same reason as not to give my heart a rest.

i just dont do regular routines, i mix them up. and they work for me.