View Full Version : Double left hook body/head

Aperion
11-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Anyone know any specific fighters that do this a lot? Or any fights where this happens often? I love watching the double left hook to the body then head, or vice versa, I really like throwing it against the heavy bag, but I have an odd time of throwing it while shadow boxing, any advice?

boxingsmash69
11-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Miguel Cotto, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., Micky Ward

Ivansmamma
11-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Roy Jones, especially in the Lacy fight.

oaklandstephen
11-03-2010, 04:35 PM
mike tyson ..........

SBleeder
11-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Sugar Ray Robinson threw it better than anyone in history.

I never throw this combination in competition or in training, but there are a few amateurs I know who do throw it with some success.

bernardotelo
11-03-2010, 06:22 PM
mike tyson ..........

I was rolling down checking the answers and then I see what you wrote...The best boxer that ever existed.Period.

Mike Tyson trully was the master of the double left hook check his training vids youll see him working it on the bag.

Juof
11-03-2010, 06:24 PM
tyson or robinson

-Johannes-
11-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Barrera lands it nicely. He hits Tapia with that combo.

supRa
11-04-2010, 02:06 PM
julio cesar chavez

Verstyle
11-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Tyson throws it perfect at the end of this clip. <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uGS8NOVDUHQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uGS8NOVDUHQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

11wordisbond
11-04-2010, 02:36 PM
It's easy to land on a heavy bag, but in order to land it on someone you've really got it get within range.

Aperion
11-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks for all the pointers from everyone, I watched RJJ vs Lacey, I don't know why I hadn't watched it before, great stuff, he lands whatever he wants in that fight. Hadn't seen that Tyson fight either, damn.

bbos
11-05-2010, 02:06 AM
the way i was taught to throw the double left; get inside. left upper cut to the body, reset, then standard left to the head.

The key is that the first hook (uppercut to the body) is used as a distraction punch to bring down the opponent's guard, so it is thrown without committing too much power, the quick follow up left hook to the head is the punch where you should plant your feet and explode through the guy's head.

frankenfrank
11-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Isn't every double punch an arm punch ?
How can it be effective ?

the way i was taught to throw the double left; get inside. left upper cut to the body, reset, then standard left to the head.

The key is that the first hook (uppercut to the body) is used as a distraction punch to bring down the opponent's guard, so it is thrown without committing too much power, the quick follow up left hook to the head is the punch where you should plant your feet and explode through the guy's head.

Uppercut is not a hook , what you mentioned here is a combination , not a double hook.

Emphasis
11-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Beautiful hook combination the the body, head, then body again at 2:51

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ci1MFEeXqCg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ci1MFEeXqCg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It also shows how it was important that he kept his right hand up to help prevent a counter from the opponent.

bbos
11-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Isn't every double punch an arm punch ?
How can it be effective ?

the first punch of the combo is an arm punch, the follow up is throw with the weight of the body intended to inflict damage.

Uppercut is not a hook , what you mentioned here is a combination , not a double hook.
the double hook is a combo...any string of punches are considered as a combination.
you can throw the punch to the body with an angle of 45 degrees (aka uppercut) or you can throw it with your arm parallel (standard hook) the point is they are both executed with the same rotation from the leading leg, the same lateral, sweeping, hooking motion, and the both target the same location on the body.
The follow up hook to the head is the standard left hook thrown with the arm parallel to the floor.
when you watch the pros throw the double left to body then head, such as cotto, tyson, they all drive their punches into the body with the 45 degree angle.

paulsinghnl
11-05-2010, 06:46 PM
to do it smoothly, try instead of going in a forward motion, focus on creating a little space after the hook to the body. so u do the liver shot hook, pull back a little, hook to the head, and then right hand if you want or step out. but do it in a backwards motion instead of forward.