View Full Version : ability to take body shots

Del Coqui
11-02-2010, 07:56 PM
some ppl are tougher than others, thats what i always say. and some ppl train their abs harder than others. do you believe getting hit in your abs (med ball, punches, stick, whatever) helps?

cja07007
11-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Yes I do think it helps. If you get hit with a perfect shot then its gunna be a problem but I think those things really condition the mind.

Toy Story 3
11-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Body shots can be brutal. I still remember the first one I took in sparring. Work out ya abs people. Some people are tougher than others definitely that's a given. It depends on the individual and how good your genetics have been to you.

One more round
11-03-2010, 01:14 AM
I think taking shots to the body is about your overall fitness and condition. Building a strong core helps too. But mainly your overall conditioning.

Toy Story 3
11-03-2010, 01:35 AM
I think taking shots to the body is about your overall fitness and condition. Building a strong core helps too. But mainly your overall conditioning.

I definitely agree.

Bronsky
11-03-2010, 07:32 PM
That and not inhaling as the shot lands lmao

Jack3d
11-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Maybe a medicine ball in the stomach or simply taking more body shots during sparring...

However this "stick" that we keep seeing boxers get tapped with on there stomach, is the most retarded thing I've ever seen and I don't know how the hell that helps with taking a bodyshot at all.

It looks to be more for show than anything else.

dannnnn
11-03-2010, 08:44 PM
I think it's supposed to deaden the nerves or something like that, looks painful anyway.

Jack3d
11-03-2010, 09:54 PM
I think it's supposed to deaden the nerves or something like that, looks painful anyway.

Maybe so but that still won't help you take body shots, given that a body shot does more than just damage to the surface of your skin, which is all the "stick" seems to do.

It probably stings a lot, but again how does that correlate with a punch?

It just seems really stupid.

led
11-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Maybe a medicine ball in the stomach or simply taking more body shots during sparring...

However this "stick" that we keep seeing boxers get tapped with on there stomach, is the most retarded thing I've ever seen and I don't know how the hell that helps with taking a bodyshot at all.

It looks to be more for show than anything else.

am sorry but i dont think its retarded at all. abs work out makes you abdomnal muscles stronger, medicine ball helps to make your abs get used to hitting and tapping stick also helps to toughen the muscles as muscles react to tapping on a longer period of time.

Jack3d
11-03-2010, 10:35 PM
and tapping stick also helps to toughen the muscles as muscles react to tapping on a longer period of time.

LOL

How exactly are you toughening the muscles by pelting the surface of your skin?

led
11-03-2010, 10:51 PM
LOL

How exactly are you toughening the muscles by pelting the surface of your skin?

have you tried it?

putaloco
11-03-2010, 11:19 PM
have you tried it?
lol try it before you say anything. those karate masters do it to their heads, legs, arms, hands. it makes the muscle stronger and the bones denser.

led
11-04-2010, 12:12 AM
lol try it before you say anything. those karate masters do it to their heads, legs, arms, hands. it makes the muscle stronger and the bones denser.:damnit1:

why do you look at it look with condescension? when you dont even know what you are talking about.

people (ex muay thai practitioner) who use that in arms and shins, are not to make them stronger but to kill their nerves. their power still comes from their core.

and this thread is talking aboy abs. stick tapping is optional but man, try it first to know for yourself before you laugh at it.

oh gosh am, lol-ing at myself for responding to your posturing as if you know something.:bye::bye:

Jack3d
11-04-2010, 12:27 AM
:damnit1:

why do you look at it look with condescension? when you dont even know what you are talking about.

people (ex muay thai practitioner) who use that in arms and shins, are not to make them stronger but to kill their nerves. their power still comes from their core.

and this thread is talking aboy abs. stick tapping is optional but man, try it first to know for yourself before you laugh at it.

oh gosh am, lol-ing at myself for responding to your posturing as if you know something.:bye::bye:

I'm sure it hurts. But what proof do you or does anyone have, that it really does work?

I'm sure that if you are doing this ridiculous "stick training" then you have to also be doing other traditional methods of strengthening your core. Like sit-ups, crunches, planks, leg raises or whatever.

So how would you know that the stick training is really what is making a difference?

Thai Boxers do practice a similar method to deaden nerves, yes. But they do it on their shins. Which is a bone protected by a very thin layer of skin and they hit them hard.

Tapping your stomach with a stick to deaden nerves for a BODY SHOT, doesn't make any sense. Because when a body shot is thrown, especially with the intention of ending a fight, you are trying essentially disrupt organ function, which requires more than a "tap" from a ****ing stick.

led
11-04-2010, 12:40 AM
I'm sure it hurts. But what proof do you or does anyone have, that it really does work?

I'm sure that if you are doing this ridiculous "stick training" then you have to also be doing other traditional methods of strengthening your core. Like sit-ups, crunches, planks, leg raises or whatever.

So how would you know that the stick training is really what is making a difference?

Thai Boxers do practice a similar method to deaden nerves, yes. But they do it on their shins. Which is a bone protected by a very thin layer of skin and they hit them hard.

Tapping your stomach with a stick to deaden nerves for a BODY SHOT, doesn't make any sense. Because when a body shot is thrown, especially with the intention of ending a fight, you are trying essentially disrupt organ function, which requires more than a "tap" from a ****ing stick.

i never say that tapping stick is an end-all solution work out. and i said thats not retarded at all, and i never patronize nor advises it. there must be traditional work out of course, but i say it help your muscles toughen.

i wont go into further or scientific explanations but i disagree to say it is retarded.

Spartacus Sully
11-04-2010, 01:28 AM

all the muscles in your body have a cassing like a plastic bag. when this casing ruptures you get a bruise. kind of like how skinless chicken breasts still have kind of a skin

http://wendyusuallywanders.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/chicken_breast.jpg

by hitting the muscle repeatdly the casing of the muscle increases in thickness. with a thicker casing the force dosnt penetrate but instead is distributed out over the whole muscle and as the force dosnt penetrate you dont get bruised as easily.

tapping can also result in your bones becoming denser and it deadens nerves. these two factors are very minor in the in comparison to the thikening of the muscle casing plus where talking about the abs and there arnt any bones there.

getting hit in the stomach absloutely does help you take hits in the stomach.

a crouched stance also helps with this.

though light tapping like what one might do on their forearm or shins isnt going to be any where near as effective as having a medicine ball dropped on them or actually being punched in the stomach.

also muay thai people i belive have technique as well as the tapping. when they kick its not shin to shin but more so the outside muscular part of the shin to the same which is why the muscle casing has much more importance then the nerves and the bone.