View Full Version : Bench Press IS OVER-RATED

sanjayint
08-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Bench Press IS OVER-RATED.. and wannabies love to brag about it....

who agree's post your comments ....

Tony Blitz
08-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Gotta be carefull, can't let tha evil of tha money trap me
So when ya see me *****
Ya better Holla at me

sanjayint
08-13-2005, 12:02 PM
wtf .. u on dog!! buzzzin on black u get me

spinksjinx
08-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Bench press is overrated I agree to an extent. But people fail to do an incline bench press which I feel is far superior to the standard flat bench press and presents a bigger challenge, and lets not forget pounds the chest in areas the flat bench just wont cut.

hectari
08-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Bench press is overrated I agree to an extent. But people fail to do an incline bench press which I feel is far superior to the standard flat bench press and presents a bigger challenge, and lets not forget pounds the chest in areas the flat bench just wont cut.

Ya I had a strange chest no muscle in the middle and muscle on the outer sides of my pecs, and then I started to do the incline bench and it helpd me get muscle in the inner pecs! Even though I can only do 3 sets of 6 it is a good workout.

how many times do you do chest? I only do chest 1 or 2 times a week depends how I heal.

Tha Greatest
08-13-2005, 03:52 PM
I agree with this post...

MOST overrated excercise..

sanjayint
08-13-2005, 04:00 PM
im not really saying its a bad exercise, its just that i hate it when the wannabies brag and brag about how much they can do. training and going gym isnt ALL about how much you can bench. being able to bench alot does mean your gonna be able to beat up every guy at the gym.

also i find it very hard to believe that some guy whos 16 is able to bench 200lbs / 90.1kg. i mean whats the point bragging, it doesnt make you a tough guy!!

sanjayint
08-13-2005, 04:01 PM
sorry typoo error should say ...

"being able to bench alot DOES'NT mean your gonna be able to beat up every guy at the gym.

Tha Greatest
08-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Ya, it's not bad, but people think your punching power is measured by bench press which is BULL****

Muchmoore
08-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Its my fav weight excercise, but its over rated. Squats, dead lift, and severel others are more important.

ricecrispi
08-13-2005, 04:26 PM
The only thing it is good for is tell how strong you are and making man boobies.

buff_mike10
08-13-2005, 06:03 PM
If two men are the exact same size, and both punch with the same proper technique, the guy that bench presses more is going to hit harder. Proper technique, flexibility, and speed are very important in punching hard. Most of the world champion boxer can probably bench press alot more than other people of equal size.

leff
08-13-2005, 06:10 PM
im not really saying its a bad exercise, its just that i hate it when the wannabies brag and brag about how much they can do. training and going gym isnt ALL about how much you can bench. being able to bench alot does mean your gonna be able to beat up every guy at the gym.

also i find it very hard to believe that some guy whos 16 is able to bench 200lbs / 90.1kg. i mean whats the point bragging, it doesnt make you a tough guy!!

well i benched 200 whan i was 16, that being said i agree bench i wastly overrated and dont ell alot about your power.

dino
08-13-2005, 06:59 PM
muchmoore ur top ten list in a joke..of heavyweights..i just had to tell u

spinksjinx
08-13-2005, 11:16 PM
Usually 16x14x12x10 depends what stage in training I am at.

ricecrispi
08-14-2005, 01:51 AM
Buff Mike i agree in most cases the guy benching more will hit harder but that is not always the case.
I bet Trinidad doesn't bench as much as Mosley and who is the power puncher?

spinksjinx
08-14-2005, 02:09 AM
Bench press had no effect in punching power....It's that simple, know the mechanics of a punch and where the power comes from...It starts from the base.

random guy
08-15-2005, 02:17 AM
Ya, it's not bad, but people think your punching power is measured by bench press which is BULL****

true that brother man, I hear all the time at school that kid can bench 200 pounds he could kick you ass.

booyah_76
08-15-2005, 04:28 AM
U gotta train for wot u wanna gain. U want explosive power in your punches, u gotta do your exercises explosively. Like cleans, snatches, push press and even the bench press done explosively with less weight. But u got 2 have that strength base 1st b4 u hit the explosive exercises.

Hunna
08-16-2005, 02:51 AM
U gotta train for wot u wanna gain. U want explosive power in your punches, u gotta do your exercises explosively. Like cleans, snatches, push press and even the bench press done explosively with less weight. But u got 2 have that strength base 1st b4 u hit the explosive exercises.

yes! keep going bro, u about u make a good point everyone on this forum needs to know..... go Queenslander!

patto1984
08-16-2005, 07:52 AM
yes! keep going bro, u about u make a good point everyone on this forum needs to know..... go Queenslander!
man! too many qld fighters

Hunna
08-17-2005, 02:32 AM
hahhaha, not enough SA fighters, nice pic bro. btw, bench press does improve the weight behind ya left hook, if u guys eva noticed. look at iron mikes chest and his left hook, notice anything?

patto1984
08-17-2005, 10:50 PM
i dont see anything wrong with the bench i think its just like push ups.
you have to keep ur mucsles sharp just like you do techniqeue, cardio and mind

enadeus
08-18-2005, 12:32 AM
People who dont do bench often end up with huge arms and shoulders and no chest :)

Hunna
08-18-2005, 01:20 AM
i dont see anything wrong with the bench i think its just like push ups.
you have to keep ur mucsles sharp just like you do techniqeue, cardio and mind

can build ur explosive power bro, sprinters live by bench, squats and deadlift and various other weights. u know as well as i know, a key ingredient 2 a fast, powerful = explosive punch is to do explosive weights.... not all the time, but enough to keep a solid punch in ya portoflio. e.g Richie Rowles - ex-sprinter, and a KO-artists.

chopper77
08-18-2005, 05:42 PM
It is one of the worst things you can do for your shoulders. Guys always want to go heavy, and yea you can do it with the pecs, but it puts way way to much stress on your cuffs. Stay away!!

abdiel2k3
08-18-2005, 05:54 PM

yes it is
but these sound like the words of someone who cant bench worth ****

Slipx
08-18-2005, 07:27 PM

ahaha. the other day this guy I had never met showed up at a friends house. he heard of me and knew who i was and the first thing that came out of his mouth was, 'Dude, my bench came down to 265, because of workin out in this heat' hoe ass dude was trying to boast, rofl. i then explained to him than bench press means dick in a fight

i can get under 225 and throw it up 3-4 times, i never bench though, that's strictly core strength from swimmin

BREAST STROKE FTW!

Slipx
08-18-2005, 07:30 PM
1 thing i like to do with bench tho is to put like 95lb on it and get a narrow grip go up explosive and 'play with gravity' by letting it touch the chest then givin everything i got in one little burst (a very short burst so it doesnt go up too far) this pushes it up a bit then I relax the muscle group until the bar gets about a CM from my chest then repeat.

then when i burn out on that,immediately without rest, i switch to widegrip and burn out on that then I do 5 plyo clap pushups and im done w/ chest

BigDozer260
09-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Yo I bench 415lbs but not for punching power. For maximum motor unit recruitment. Squat 575lbs for the same reason. but it doesn't replace my empasis on boxing skill, it supplements them.

BigDozer260
09-01-2005, 11:46 PM
I won't even begin to talk about elastic muscle energy, that's alot of typing and no one would be interested in reading anyway. :D

Verstyle
09-17-2005, 12:56 AM
bench is overrated i was benching 300lbs at 17 and i was weighing 150lbs and im 5'7. but once i got into boxing i havnt touched bench press. the only time i touch it is to show off in front of some tough guys or some *****es.im 21 now

datneggajeep
09-18-2005, 06:00 PM
bench is overrated i was benching 300lbs at 17 and i was weighing 150lbs and im 5'7. but once i got into boxing i havnt touched bench press. the only time i touch it is to show off in front of some tough guys or some *****es.im 21 now
yeah, dude your so full of crap.

666boy666
09-18-2005, 08:23 PM
Most of the world champion boxer can probably bench press alot more than other people of equal size.

I saw joe frazier doing military presses once, and he couldn't even get 160 up, yet he had one of the best punches ever.

Bench press does make you strong, it also makes you slooooooooow

Weightlifting has it's benefits, but you don't need to bench 500lbs to get to where you want to be in boxing, and if VK tried to bench with a powerlifter of the same size, I bet he couldn't even get up half what the powerlifter could.

For some reason, people do all these routines and exercise plans without ever understanding how muscles work. You'll devote years of training to something you couldn't spend 20 minutes checking on. Generally speaking, a 250lbs boxer can hit far more powerfully than a 250lbs powerlifter, yet the powerlifter can dwarf the boxer in weight lifting ability.

To put it another way, lance armstrong is a great cyclist, but how many running marathons has he won?

Just cause the two sports involve the same muscles, doesn't mean your muscles will respond the same way in both sports.