View Full Version : Left hooks to the head

.Go To Sleep.
08-13-2005, 03:26 AM
Bare with me, I'm very new to boxing. I'm an orthadox fighter, first off. I just need some help with high left hooks.

When I throw them, should my forearm be completely horizontal. Cuz right now my arm is slightly tilted uprwards. Not enough to be an uppercut, because it still comes from the side. Is it ok to throw hooks like this- not having your forearm completely horizontal?

Sorry if I explained this badly.

Tony Blitz
08-13-2005, 04:26 AM
Bare with me, I'm very new to boxing. I'm an orthadox fighter, first off. I just need some help with high left hooks.

When I throw them, should my forearm be completely horizontal. Cuz right now my arm is slightly tilted uprwards. Not enough to be an uppercut, because it still comes from the side. Is it ok to throw hooks like this- not having your forearm completely horizontal?

Sorry if I explained this badly.
http://myspace-133.vo.llnwd.net/00146/33/18/146358133_l.gif
it sure is!

.Go To Sleep.
08-13-2005, 04:39 AM
Hmmm... that really looks more like a shovel hook.

Hunna
08-13-2005, 05:17 AM
Hmmm... that really looks more like a shovel hook.

hahah like the terminology...... try throw ya hook from ya hips, legs, ya feet and shoulders cos its all a transfer of power. visual it and it should come off.

ricecrispi
08-13-2005, 05:40 AM
Starting out you should use the correct techinique for a hook. If you can't get the basic form of a hook you will develop a sloppy one or a bad one. In the end it doesn't matter as long as you hit the guy and have some power on it. You still want a good hook but if you can't get it down work on another punch.

Main focus is to have the legs start off the hook. The legs drives torque into the hips and up into the upper back. The shoulder and the arm should be parallel to the floor and the chest. The don't move much from here only to angle the punch or change the timing, they do not generate much power so don't pull the arm back for a hook. All the power is in the legs and hips.

Never loadup a left hook. This is when you pull back either the left shoulder or arm, or entire back. Totally telegraphs it and you will pay for it in the near future.

zip
08-13-2005, 09:13 PM
http://myspace-133.vo.llnwd.net/00146/33/18/146358133_l.gif
it sure is!

that is more like a waterblow smash. 3/4 uppercut.

chopper77
08-16-2005, 04:01 PM
When you throw a left hook, picture drawing a circle with your left hand. Extend your arm slightly, and draw that circle, and always throw your hook at your opponents shoulder. That way if he ducks, you'll still catch him. If you throw at his head, and he ducks, you will miss completely, and be very open for a counter. By drawing the circle, your elbow is still down by your side to protect yourself, and it is a much fastern hook.

GreenTea
08-17-2005, 03:24 AM
It depends what kind of left hook you are going to throw; offensive, defensive or stepping hook.
The most important thing is, as in the other puches too, you must be relaxed when you perform the left hook.

The main principles are:
- Be relaxed.
- Shift the weight on your right leg.
- Continue rotating your left hip as fast and as far as you can.
- As your hip comes to endpoint of the rotation it draws your upper body within. Generate more power rotating yor upper body also after that point.
- Guide your hand to the target. ( DonŽt tense your hands at all )

It is very important that youŽll stay relaxed during the whole performance because the more relaxed you are, the less there are downslowing forces. The more relaxed you are, the more weight your hand have and thatŽs why the more power also.

The hand should be in the vertical position in relation to direction of the punch. Otherwise youŽll loose some of the power behind it. So, if your hand isnŽt in the vertical position, you should guide your punch so that the elbow is straight behind your fist. In this case, not vertically to your right, but in a slight angle to uppwards.

Hope youŽll get me right.

chopper77
08-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Look at the vid above from Zip. That is the hook I'm talking about. The left shoulder is still in place, the elbow is down to protect the side, and the hand comes right back to protect. Perfect punch!

platinummatt
05-28-2006, 10:11 AM
It depends what kind of left hook you are going to throw; offensive, defensive or stepping hook.
The most important thing is, as in the other puches too, you must be relaxed when you perform the left hook.

The main principles are:
- Be relaxed.
- Shift the weight on your right leg.
- Continue rotating your left hip as fast and as far as you can.
- As your hip comes to endpoint of the rotation it draws your upper body within. Generate more power rotating yor upper body also after that point.
- Guide your hand to the target. ( DonŽt tense your hands at all )

It is very important that youŽll stay relaxed during the whole performance because the more relaxed you are, the less there are downslowing forces. The more relaxed you are, the more weight your hand have and thatŽs why the more power also.

The hand should be in the vertical position in relation to direction of the punch. Otherwise youŽll loose some of the power behind it. So, if your hand isnŽt in the vertical position, you should guide your punch so that the elbow is straight behind your fist. In this case, not vertically to your right, but in a slight angle to uppwards.

Hope youŽll get me right.

isnt it weight on left foot?

platinummatt
05-28-2006, 10:15 AM
good explanation tho

hemichromis
05-28-2006, 11:53 AM
you'll get more power in a hook that is rising slightly but you also have a higher chance of hitting a guarding arm or shoulder

Super_Lightweight
05-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Yes, your arm does need to be horizontal or even coming down at an slight angle from on high to get more power. Twist those hips as well.