View Full Version : Beating power with speed.

Dylan1212
08-12-2005, 03:32 PM
I have an opponent who is a power puncher. I have very good handspeed and a natural gift for footwork, but he moves very well to, and finds way's to frustrate my handspeed advantage. How do I keep my distance, and keep his extraordinary power out of my face and my jab in his?

rsl
08-12-2005, 04:44 PM
I have an opponent who is a power puncher. I have very good handspeed and a natural gift for footwork, but he moves very well to, and finds way's to frustrate my handspeed advantage. How do I keep my distance, and keep his extraordinary power out of my face and my jab in his?What exactly does he do to frustrate your " handspeed "? From what you've posted sounds like you guys are pretty even in athletic ability, except for the power department. Also sounds like you are giving him way too much respect. You just have to look for the openings and be decisive and not think too much in the ring. Just stay busy and want it more than your sparring partner.

boxer2k5
08-12-2005, 05:05 PM
I have an opponent who is a power puncher. I have very good handspeed and a natural gift for footwork, but he moves very well to, and finds way's to frustrate my handspeed advantage. How do I keep my distance, and keep his extraordinary power out of my face and my jab in his?

paw with your jab
its called the blind jab
jsut stick it out there
shooting it half way
but keep it in his face
then shoot a real jab and
pivot to his side hit him once or twice and move
use feints to mess his reflexes up
and bam hit him and move
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=1239039

angles is the key

also use a quick low jab and move
to the body or chest
(easier to hit while low)
and move out the way
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=jabslip

if u got speed use it
power is a problem if
they can hit you
use angles and footwork and movements
to limit their chances to hit you

Dylan1212
08-12-2005, 05:06 PM
The main thing is inside-fighting. Once he gets there, I fear my main strength will be nullified. And I respect him for a reason, he was once a sparring partner of mine, and he was always trouble in that department.

Dylan1212
08-12-2005, 05:07 PM
thanks boxer.

Dylan1212
08-12-2005, 05:10 PM
The guy I'm talking about is a member here, I think.

boxer2k5
08-12-2005, 05:12 PM
The main thing is inside-fighting. Once he gets their, I fear my main strenght will be nullified. And I respect him for a reason, he was once a sparring partner of mine, and he was always trouble in that department.

inside is good unless he is shorter than you

if hes taller and stronger inside is a good spot
for you to be

stay in the pocket and smoother his punches
let off small shots like 1 1 3
sace the right corsses for when you get range

tap tap hook

and keep your guard up
not everyone can roll with punches like me

if he is shorter and you need range
footwork is the key
stay away from his power hand
and pop him with jabs and rights
fients will be a usefull tool

counter him plain and simple

Dylan1212
08-12-2005, 05:20 PM
I do have a couple inches on him. I will use this advice. Thanks, man.