View Full Version : Why Heanrs so underrated

BodysnatcherFan
12-12-2004, 08:25 AM
Hearns was best long-range welterweight champion ever, had best right hand ever in welterweights and was great classic boxer with fast jab. Why people put so many guys in front of him? He almost beat Ray in first fight and beat him the second only to get gay draw from *** judges. He knocked Duran down 3 times last one an alltime great, who had only been down twice in over 80 fights. I think hes best welter after the two Rays. People put guys like Ross ahead of him simply coz they like old fighters better but Tommy would kick their ass easiy. He would also kick Tito's ass.

jason power
01-12-2005, 05:10 AM
His Glass Jaw

rudy
01-12-2005, 06:30 AM
His Glass Jaw
His Glass Jaw if he was best chinny fighter I have ever seen. My favourite fighter of all time u know why. Being a tall guy he could box his way to boring uniamous decision like Virgil Hill guys like that but he wanted to give the crowd excitement. I agree with the first post 3rd place after the two rays at Welterweight. Light-Middleweight I think he was unstoppable ask Duran. Not one fighter has been impressive scoring Kos after Kos like that against top fighters

Mr. Ryan
01-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Hearns is overlooked by history because he was overshadowed by Ray Leonard and Marvin Hagler. In another era, he would've been dominant.

dansweeney
01-21-2005, 03:52 PM
59 wins with only 4 legit losses, ya what a glass chin he had!!! he didnt have the best chin but he had the biggest heart in boxing! and the best non-heavy right hand in the history of the sport, just ask the 46 men he kayo'd

marvdave
01-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Hearns isn't underrated, he is rated just about right. In his two biggest bouts he was knocked out. He accomplished alot in his career,but Leonard and Hagler stole his thunder.

dansweeney
01-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Hearns isn't underrated, he is rated just about right. In his two biggest bouts he was knocked out. He accomplished alot in his career,but Leonard and Hagler stole his thunder.

he had several big bouts, leonard 2, duran, hill,cuevas, but ya his two MEGA fights he came up short, he was still on his feet in leonard 1 though, i still wonder if he could have kayod hagler had he not broken his hand during round 1, probably same outcome but you never know. if he fought today he would be undefeated with all knockouts probably, hagler and leonard did steal his thunder

marvdave
01-21-2005, 05:53 PM
he had several big bouts, leonard 2, duran, hill,cuevas, but ya his two MEGA fights he came up short, he was still on his feet in leonard 1 though, i still wonder if he could have kayod hagler had he not broken his hand during round 1, probably same outcome but you never know. if he fought today he would be undefeated with all knockouts probably, hagler and leonard did steal his thunder

don't get me wrong, Tommy Hearns was an all time favorite of mine, but the two superfights will always define him and unjustly keep him out of the "all-time great" conversation. Two of my favorite fights were Leonard 2 becuase Tommy got his revenge and Hearns v Virgil Hill. I hated V. Hill and always thought he was overrated and protected as an Olympian. It was classic when Old Tommy Hearns moved up in weight and taught Hill a Boxing lesson :cool:

K-Yo
01-21-2005, 07:24 PM
manny loves fighters with glass jaws, first hearns, and then lewis, now w.klit.

Floydmayweather
01-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Who cares if he didnt have a great jaw Hearns was great.

kadyo
01-21-2005, 08:30 PM
The Hitman Hearns is one of the greatest fighters of all time who was fortunate to test his skills against other gratest fighters of all time lika SRL, marvelous,etc...

He was never underrated.

Dynamite76
01-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Tommy is underrated in the sense that he kayoed more quality fighters than many other good or great champs but in truth, he will always be defined by those two superfights that he lost, to Leonard and Hagler.

JOM'S
01-24-2005, 11:11 AM
The Hitman Hearns is one of the greatest fighters of all time who was fortunate to test his skills against other gratest fighters of all time lika SRL, marvelous,etc...

He was never underrated.

i dont think he is underrated, how many guys can you think of that can beat hima at welterweight ???

oldgringo
01-25-2005, 12:04 AM
I'd only really take 2 guys over Hearns at Welter and thats SRR and SRL. He might have actually been better at 154 than at 147. Theres no way Hearns would have knocked out Hagler either. It'd take a big mother****er to KO the Hagler that Hearns fought.

xrhythmxnxbluesx
01-25-2005, 03:21 AM
hearns glass jaw maybe his down fall... but he had some great fights... and he knock down duran a couple times...

SonnyG8R
01-25-2005, 11:34 AM
I don't believe he was #3 at 147 but he was up there. I would call him #1 all time at 154 pounds where he was undefeated. He won impressively over Wilfred Benitez and Roberto Duran. Tommy was much stronger at 154 pounds than he was at 147. Many forget he was Champ here for nearly four years.

SonnyJ
01-27-2005, 09:09 AM
tommy hearns receives and deserves huge rep. it just underlines the depth of talent in the division in the 80's.

Mr. Ryan
01-27-2005, 03:36 PM
I don't believe he was #3 at 147 but he was up there. I would call him #1 all time at 154 pounds where he was undefeated. He won impressively over Wilfred Benitez and Roberto Duran. Tommy was much stronger at 154 pounds than he was at 147. Many forget he was Champ here for nearly four years.
But he wasn't the tremendous puncher there he was at 147.

oldgringo
01-27-2005, 04:56 PM
But he wasn't the tremendous puncher there he was at 147.

His punching looked pretty tremendous when he blew out Duran.

hectari
01-29-2005, 08:27 PM
hearns was the hitman he marked biChes

marvdave
01-30-2005, 09:44 AM
hearns was the hitman he marked biChes

what does that mean? :confused:

.::|ULTIMATE|::.
01-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Tommy Hearns deserves respect and he gets its. He is by no means underrated by most. On the Contrary some give him more credit for his fight against Duran than he probably deserves.

He had lots of heart, I like Stewarts story about when hearns asked him to train him he put him in against some other kid in the gym and got his nose broke right away, he straightened it out and kept going/

jayrichardse
01-30-2005, 06:41 PM
because he sucks

jayrichardse
01-30-2005, 11:54 PM
yes he is overratted

ghostdancer
02-03-2005, 02:18 PM
i have to agree with asian sensation

butatista
02-28-2005, 12:19 AM
One of the best guys to watch ever in my opinion, beautiful rangey puncher and whatever else he did in his career, the fame of his fight with Hagler means he`ll always have a huge place in boxing history.

Tha Greatest
02-28-2005, 12:44 AM
i love hearns
but that hagler that was in the fight that night
he was a monster

Hearns fouhgt a beautiful fight with both of them
it aint always about winning

he is my #1 favorite, not the best but my favorite!!

Shaolin Bushido
02-28-2005, 01:10 AM
I wasn't aware that Hearns was underrated. Guess it's a personal thing.

Shaolin Bushido
02-28-2005, 01:10 AM
because he sucks
Couldn't even last 2 months.*shakes head*

chase
03-01-2005, 03:53 PM
hearns was very good, i would have him 3rd best, in my mine, don curry, srl, hearns, but duran on his day would of beat them all:)

morancito
03-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Hearns is somewhat underrated. He lost to SRL, but if he knew how to hold he would have won that fight. He was a champ in 5 different weight categories (not counting his bogus cruiserweight titles) and no one ever says anything about it.

The Phantom Menace
03-03-2005, 08:57 PM
I think he is not underrated. He always mentioned among the greatest of all times. Hearns is a legend.

tommo
03-11-2005, 11:39 PM
I like tommy, i think the dubious details that proceeded his fight with marvin hagler also contributed to his defeat in that fight and had a telling effect on his current health.he was the best welterweight in my opinion.

Tha Greatest
03-12-2005, 02:45 AM
Hearns made up for his chin with his heart

He is prolly top 3 welterweight of all time

He isnt #1 best p4p, but he's my #1 favorite of all time

Long live Thomas "The Hitman" Hearns!

btw he would DESTRUCT AND DESTROY Felix "Tito" Trinidad
in round 2-3