View Full Version : we dont use the speed bag in our gym

lumiere
10-26-2010, 04:11 PM
My coach doesn't believe in the speed bag.he says it really doesn't work on your speed and you don't even hit it like you would punch in a real fight..like you do on a double end or heavy bag.it makes sense but I know a lot of trainers will disagree with not incorporating the speedbag in training.its a staple in a boxing gym,I first asked him when I first started about it because I noticed we never used it.

I know there's a couple of trainers on here what's your opinion ? Anyone else here not use it in their gym ?

Orale Vato
10-26-2010, 04:34 PM
My coach doesn't believe in the speed bag.he says it really doesn't work on your speed and you don't even hit it like you would punch in a real fight..like you do on a double end or heavy bag.it makes sense but I know a lot of trainers will disagree with not incorporating the speedbag in training.its a staple in a boxing gym,I first asked him when I first started about it because I noticed we never used it.

I know there's a couple of trainers on here what's your opinion ? Anyone else here not use it in their gym ?

I've spoken to some amateur boxers around my way and they don't use the speed bag either. They say it may help a little in terms of hand/eye coordination but that's about it. One of the guys said he felt it was really overrated. Like you said, they use the double end bag, heavy bag and shadow box with and without weights. They said those are the closest things you can come to actually fighting. You train like you fight and the speed bag doesn't serve that purpose. I've got boxing equipment in my garage and when I workout I don't use it either. I do everything else.

TheTruthIs
10-26-2010, 05:44 PM
only use it when a hot chic walks in the gym bro!

and sometimes for warming up. the most useless of any bag in the boxing gym. fun to play with though, to make it dance...but more just for show.

SBleeder
10-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Yeah, and you shouldn't use the jump rope either since you don't jump up and down in a fight. :rolleyes:

Seriously, what is wrong with today's trainers? The speed bag is an essential piece of any fighter's training.

Toy Story 3
10-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Yeah, and you shouldn't use the jump rope either since you don't jump up and down in a fight. :rolleyes:

Seriously, what is wrong with today's trainers? The speed bag is an essential piece of any fighter's training.

lol I agree. I'm so glad I have old school trainers in my gym. All the years of experience I trust they know what they're doing. I use the speed bag. Good for eye hand coordination. And it's about the rhythm and sound as well. I can hit it looking away sometimes and also condition shoulders and keep your hands up in a fight. If it gets easy move the bag up if you can adjust it. There's more than one thing you can do on a speed bag. I guess it's all on what you pick up in your gym and the trainers who are teaching you.

mrboxer
10-26-2010, 06:23 PM

I know there's a couple of trainers on here what's your opinion ? Anyone else here not use it in their gym ?speed bags are good,this trainer must be new to the sport and has no idea of the equipment needed in a boxing club,:boxing:

THE REED™
10-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Hand/eye coordination and arm stamina.

Ivansmamma
10-26-2010, 06:32 PM
In karate we don't use any bags, we just do the instant kill punches against air. You also can't try the punches on anyone in sparring because they would die. The main use of the punches are defense in case of a terrorist attack.

so no, my trainer don't recommend the speed bag.

New England
10-26-2010, 06:41 PM
I was taught how to throw the hook on a speedbag
and that's usualyl what i'll hit if i want to work on it

obviously its about rythm and timing first and foremost

the speedbag isnt all about tricks and going fast
you can shoot single shots at the speedbag
move your head out of the way
move to the sides and circle the bag etc

that being said i'm pretty confident that speedbag sessions arent the most important aspect of a premium fighter's training regimen in terms of helping him win fights

they're also a ****load of fun :afro:

Domey
10-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Not using the speed bag because you don't punch like that, that's a good one. As was stated, we don't jump up and down in a ring but we still jump rope. Tons of examples like this can be used(We don't ride a bike in the ring, but we use the bike at the gym. We don't run in the ring, but we run miles. We don't[Or try not to] get off the mat, but we constantly do pushups / sit ups).

The speed bag is good for hand eye coordination, and even more so as a good warm up. I personally use the speed bag at the end of my work out as a cool down after long sparring / heavy bag sessions.

he says it really doesn't work on your speed
This trainer is an idiot. It's called a speed ball because its fast. We use medicine balls, they don't heal you, so probably shouldn't use it?

I wouldn't even bother being trained by someone who uses that kind of logic.

SBleeder
10-26-2010, 07:08 PM
In karate we don't use any bags, we just do the instant kill punches against air. You also can't try the punches on anyone in sparring because they would die. The main use of the punches are defense in case of a terrorist attack.

so no, my trainer don't recommend the speed bag.

So where were you on 9/11?

You, sir, have failed us.

Pony Boy
10-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Like some of you have said. The speed bag is a tool used to develop rhythm and timing, as well improve hand and eye coordination but it’s also a great conditioning tool for you shoulders/upper extremities, which helps fighters to keep their hands up. More advanced boxers can also practice straight punches, hooks and upper cuts, and the speed bag can also be used as a slip bag. Check out the speed bag bible videos they will show you a variety of ways in which to use the speed bag. I've seen some so called trainers who don’t know how to use the speed bag and that is why they don’t teach their boxers.

Trick
10-26-2010, 07:38 PM

I agree- just so long as someone doesn't think that the speedbag is what's going to make them Ali. Personally I find it perhaps the most "fun" bag to hit, so you just gotta be careful not to overdo it, there's more important stuff to do, but useless? No way.

TheTruthIs
10-26-2010, 09:52 PM
the sad reality is you will see a lot more people (especially new people) working the speed bag over the dbl end. Why? the dbl end is a lot tougher to get good at. but it will help your hand/eye co ordination way better then a speed bag. Incorporates footwork in, slipping, angles. Anyone with a bit of due diligence can master a speed bag. It's one dimensional. A good warm up tool more then anything. Meh, maybe some conditioning but that can be found in many things.

Put it this way. Of all the bags at your gym...you had to remove one, which one would it be? If you say anything else but the speed bag, I think you've not a clue.

Domey
10-26-2010, 10:08 PM
I'd remove the uppercut bag over the speed bag.

TheTruthIs
10-26-2010, 10:19 PM
I'd remove the uppercut bag over the speed bag.

if you mean one of those retarded ones strapped to the wall...I'd probably agree. But haven't seen too many of those around. (do people use them?) The upside down tear dropped heavy bags are okay for uppercuts I guess. But mainly practice UC's on the mitts anyway.

But w/e...people like what they like...not looking for an argument. I just think the thing is seriously overused. because it is fun, and easy to learn.

Domey
10-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Tear drop bag would be the upper cut bag.

Secondly it is easy sure if you just do basic stuff, but there are advanced things that you can do with it. I personally like throwing combos on it. I specially like working my hook off my jab with the speed bag. I can hook after a jab before it ever comes back and hits the front.

Also, as has been stated, it is also fun to work, and is very good as a warm up, cool down, or to work your shoulders and other muscles in your arm you normally do not work on a heavy bag.

I already posted an old image of me in another thread, but if you take a look at me when I was roughly 13 years old, and weighing 112 lbs, I was solid. It's worked for me, so I won't change it!

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/8448/57938166.jpg

TheTruthIs
10-27-2010, 12:51 AM
lol wtf

oh ya? well this is me at 13.

http://www.wayodd.com/funny-pictures2/funny-pictures-the-fat-alf-kid-0fP.jpg

so there! :wave:

Spartacus Sully
10-27-2010, 01:04 AM
if the coach thinks its just for punching then he probly isnt teaching you what it is used for in boxing and if hes not teaching what its used for then its not incredibly helpful beyond head hunting and working your shoulders so its not really needed.

Domey
10-27-2010, 01:49 AM
if the coach thinks its just for punching then he probly isnt teaching you what it is used for in boxing and if hes not teaching what its used for then its not incredibly helpful beyond head hunting and working your shoulders so its not really needed.

Yea our shoulders don't matter at all .........?

Spartacus Sully
10-27-2010, 02:02 AM
Yea our shoulders don't matter at all .........?

theres an endless amount of ways to work your shoulders.....like punching....like pull ups.....like http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/DBFrontRaise.html
or http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/DBArnoldPress.html or http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/DBLateralRaise.html or http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidPosterior/DBRearLateralRaise.html.

the speed bag is for improving defensive hand speed and head hunting if you arnt using it for that then its not really needed, especially if your not even trained in parrys and glance offs.

Domey
10-27-2010, 03:09 AM
Either way it works your shoulders and muscles in your arms you would not normally work by just punching the bags/mitts/sparring. So to not try and work them since it is doing it anyways, would be counter productive.

Spartacus Sully
10-27-2010, 03:45 AM
Either way it works your shoulders and muscles in your arms you would not normally work by just punching the bags/mitts/sparring. So to not try and work them since it is doing it anyways, would be counter productive.

you can use a dumbell as a door stop but its not its pupose one should use a dumbell for a dumbell and a door stop for a door stop.

the speed bag is a great tool but it should be used for head hunting and defensive hand speed while working your arms only as a secondary advantage.

like take anronld shoulder presses these focus mainly on your anterior deltoid with many synergists.

then lets take the incline bench press these focus mainly on your clavical head of the major pecs with the anterior deltoids as synergysts.

if you want to work your anterior deltoids most effectivly your not going to be doing incline bench presses.

if you want to work your shoulders and arms becuse you can only go 150% for 4 rounds befre they get injured then you should use weights or shadow box with gloves on at a slow speed to build up muscle.

if you want to develope hand eye coordination for head hunting and fast defensive hand speed while you know your also benifitting your shoulders and arms then you work the speed bag.

I am not saying that when you work the speed bag you should try to avoid using your shoulders. im saying if your only goal is to work your shoulders there are better ways to do it.

SBleeder
10-27-2010, 06:53 AM
if you mean one of those retarded ones strapped to the wall...I'd probably agree. But haven't seen too many of those around. (do people use them?) The upside down tear dropped heavy bags are okay for uppercuts I guess. But mainly practice UC's on the mitts anyway.

But w/e...people like what they like...not looking for an argument. I just think the thing is seriously overused. because it is fun, and easy to learn.

Wall bags are anything but retarded. They are outstanding for training footwork.

TheTruthIs
10-27-2010, 07:16 AM
no, they're not.

Spartacus Sully
10-27-2010, 07:22 AM
http://ejmas.com/jmanly/articles/2001/punchbag/fig2.jpg

this is what they need to bring back great for hand eye corrdination foot work and rythm.

One more round
10-27-2010, 07:27 AM
I've never used one. I wouldn't call it an essential tool. but it does have it's uses.

TheTruthIs
10-27-2010, 07:27 AM
http://ejmas.com/jmanly/articles/2001/punchbag/fig2.jpg

this is what they need to bring back great for hand eye corrdination foot work and rythm.

That certainly would make it more practical, and I'd likely use it more with that much room to maneuver. I sometimes try to get more out of speed bag, use it as a slip bag too etc...and counter off of it. I get what domey is saying, with stretching its uses to the max. But as it currently is, it is fairly limiting.

#1Assassin
10-27-2010, 07:58 AM
the speed bag can be overlooked in training, but that would be bcuz u are just starting out and focusing on learning the basizs and fundamentals first. to say its overrated and doesnt really serve a purpose is just ignorant.

it does improve hand speed alot.
it improves hand eye coordination alot.
it improves focus.
it gets your eyes used to reacting quickly to things coming at you fast.
its the best way to build rhytm imo, a cornerstone of boxing.
it improves timing alot.
it builds stamina in your shoulders.

at the moment we dont have one in out gym since it broke, i was thinking just yesterday about bringing it up with my trainier. the speedbag is probably the most important of all the bags imo, although they all serve a purpose.

Cuauhtémoc1520
10-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Sorry but as a trainer myself, I think your trainer is way off. I love the speed bag because you can use it for so many things, not just for speed.

It can improve your hand eye coordination.

It works out your shoulders and arms in endurance training.

It helps you with your feet

You can use it to help incredibly with your hooks (probably the best tool for learning how to throw a proper hook)

Great cardio workout

Great for timing and accuracy.

No disrespect to your trainer but I think he's missing something big time in not using the speed bag.

Toy Story 3
10-27-2010, 03:34 PM
I put this video in the other thread as well. Some of Freddie Roach's tips on speed bag usage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63nDNWJAPc0

Sven72
11-05-2010, 05:38 AM
As stated by others it has many benefits but i think most importantly it can add longevity to your workout, its not as physically taxing as mitts or the heavy bag, and its a good piece of kit to use inbetween your harder rounds

Juof
11-05-2010, 07:12 AM
our trainers say its worthless aswell iv never used it before

them_apples
11-05-2010, 12:22 PM

its for your timing. Boxing is all timeing. double end bag and speed bag all good for timing and arm endurance.

AeonOfFear
11-12-2010, 07:05 AM
"It's useless, a bit of a Delt workout...Once you have it's timing you can look away, and perv on some chick." A quote from my trainer, Speed-balls have their uses (namely a Delt workout) but really if you have some cheap free weights ec't.
why bother?

Cuauhtémoc1520
11-12-2010, 11:37 AM
"It's useless, a bit of a Delt workout...Once you have it's timing you can look away, and perv on some chick." A quote from my trainer, Speed-balls have their uses (namely a Delt workout) but really if you have some cheap free weights ec't.
why bother?

Because that's not the only thing you can do with a speed bag. Sounds like your trainer isn't very knowledgeable about it.

It's not just standing there and hitting it in the normal way. You can use it for head movement, foot movement, and timing and accuracy. It doesn't have to be just hitting like the normal way you use it.

I guess thousands of trainers and over 100 years of boxing has been wrong then....lol

SplitSecond
11-12-2010, 12:06 PM
speedbag is kinda borin and the motion is weird and kinda gay but the point of it is to keep at it till your tired as ****, it'll build some nice shoulders and should tweak ur power a notch

Bronsky
11-12-2010, 04:23 PM
1. Hand eye coordination
2. Arm stamina
3. Rhythm
4. Timing
5. Footwork

I would never drop the seedba from my workout. I'm astonished at the amount of people who drop it from their regimen. Wow

AeonOfFear
11-12-2010, 07:39 PM
It's just not that important, thats the point i was trying to get across.
I mean yes it has it's uses but if you really want to work on your timing and rythm why not just spar and work on everything else as well?

Bronsky
11-12-2010, 11:25 PM
it's clear you won't change your mind about this so ill agree to disagree. Leave the speedbag out of your routine then. I personally would look at a coach who said that with the WTF look but to each their own. Follow what your coach says then, he is YOUR coach so do what he tells you.

Edit: on a side note, the only thought that comes to mind to a answers from some of you guys is you guys must have the most monotonous speedbag skills and must just stand in front of the bag and just hit until the rounds done. If so, you guys need better instruction or watch someone skillin the speedbag an then come back and say the speedbag is nothing. If you guys do more than just stand there and hit and actually skill the speedbag and still consider it useless, then *****, I've got no idea what to tell you. Just keep doing what your coaches tell you guys I guess.

Bastian Loc
11-12-2010, 11:31 PM
I don't know how much it actually helps, but its one of the most fun things to work on for me.