View Full Version : Fallout New Vegas is getting glorious reviews

MidnightSpecial
10-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Ill be picking it up Friday and i will give a thorough review.

but to hold you over or to persuade you to get the game ive found a few reviews on the internet so far.

all of which seem to be a resounding BUY THIS GAME!

IGN UK review:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1128811p1.html

Feed your console:
http://feedyourconsole.com/2010/10/review-fallout-new-vegas/

Giant Bomb: (becoming one of my favorite review sites)
http://www.giantbomb.com/fallout-new-vegas/61-25933/reviews/

Equilibrium
10-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Gonna go pick it up in about an hour, won't play until tonight though.

Clegg
10-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Not out here in the UK until Friday. Sucks because I'm working all weekend but have today off.

Grand Champ
10-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Sweet! Glad I pre-ordered it.

MidnightSpecial
10-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Ive taken from these reviews so far that the game is smaller in size but better in regard to things to explore.

Which i like because for how big fallout 3 it was a ***** walking around everywhere

especially those ****ing tunnels

seems though the game is having a lot of technical issues with glitching and freezing.

Fallout 3 had the same problem but they patched it to fix most of those problems.

Grand Champ
10-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Apparantly the strategy guide for New Vegas is gonna go in Guiness book of world record as the longest strategy guide to date for any game. Not gonna buy it, but it speaks volumes about all the content in the game.:!!

http://n4g.com/news/626907/fallout-new-vegas-strategy-guide-is-bigger-than-war-and-peace

Rick Grimes
10-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Sounds like the hardcore mode is going to be unbelievably hard should be a good challenge. Anyone know what the level cap is? Is it 20 like Fallout 3 or 30 like the expansions?

Ether
10-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Midnight I gotta remain loyal and post this in my thread as well but since this is a review thread:

Joystiq gives the game 3.5/5:

Feed Your Console gives it 10/10

Planet Xbox 360 - 8.8/10

Giantbomb - 4/5

Game Informer - 8.5/10

RPG Fan - 85%

GamePro - 4.5/5

The Charleston Gazette - 9.5/10

Just Push Start - 4.5/5

Ars Technica - Verdict: Buy

Gaming Nexus - B

WeTheGamerz video review - 9.5/10

Hooked Gamers - 9/10

TQCast - 4.5/5

OXM UK - 9/10

Atomic Gamer - 9/10

Gamer's Hell - 7/10

XPLAY - 4/5

AVault 5/5

Filefront - 91/100

PC Gamer - 84/100

IGN UK - 9/10

CVG - 8.1/10

Games TM - 9/10

Nowgamer - 9.3/10

The Escapist - 4/5

Destructoid - 9/10

Front Towards Gamer - 9/10

Incgamers - 9.1/10

Eurogamer - 9/10:

Strategy Informer - 8.5/10

Gamezone - 6.5/10

Bit-tech - 8/10

The Guardian - 5/5

MidnightSpecial
10-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Midnight I gotta remain loyal and post this in my thread as well but since this is a review thread:

Joystiq gives the game 3.5/5:

Feed Your Console gives it 10/10

Planet Xbox 360 - 8.8/10

Giantbomb - 4/5

Game Informer - 8.5/10

RPG Fan - 85%

GamePro - 4.5/5

The Charleston Gazette - 9.5/10

Just Push Start - 4.5/5

Ars Technica - Verdict: Buy

Gaming Nexus - B

WeTheGamerz video review - 9.5/10

Hooked Gamers - 9/10

TQCast - 4.5/5

OXM UK - 9/10

Atomic Gamer - 9/10

Gamer's Hell - 7/10

XPLAY - 4/5

AVault 5/5

Filefront - 91/100

PC Gamer - 84/100

IGN UK - 9/10

CVG - 8.1/10

Games TM - 9/10

Nowgamer - 9.3/10

The Escapist - 4/5

Destructoid - 9/10

Front Towards Gamer - 9/10

Incgamers - 9.1/10

Eurogamer - 9/10:

Strategy Informer - 8.5/10

Gamezone - 6.5/10

Bit-tech - 8/10

The Guardian - 5/5

ill post MidnightSpecials Review in there i promise :D

just wanted to give some other reviews out.

but im glad its getting good reviews

cant wait to get it friday

Crazylegs77
10-19-2010, 08:44 PM
PLaying it for about 1.5 hours so far today, the PC version.

So far very similar (obviously :p), story seems compelling. So far spending most of my time scavenging for crap to sell for caps one thing I thought (if I remember correctly) was different Fallout 3 werent magazines/books grant you a permanent increase to skill? Now its temporary.

Grand Champ
10-20-2010, 12:00 AM
IGN USA with a critical review for once

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ea8JtJlZ3Vc?fs=1&amp;hl=da_DK"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ea8JtJlZ3Vc?fs=1&amp;hl=da_DK" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Very buggy they say... Damn.

Rick Grimes
10-20-2010, 12:49 AM
IGN USA with a critical review for once

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wm2UxAF-lnU?fs=1&amp;hl=da_DK"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wm2UxAF-lnU?fs=1&amp;hl=da_DK" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Very buggy they say... Damn.

What's that got to do with Fallout? :thinking:

MidnightSpecial
10-20-2010, 01:00 AM
playing it right now :D

couldnt wait until friday

good so far.

ill give my review in a few days

Rick Grimes
10-20-2010, 02:05 AM
GamesTM: "New Vegas won't help Obsidian to shake its reputation as a purveyor of technically flawed but theoretically excellent sequels to other studio's games--the bugs here are numerous, and occasionally infuriating--but it's difficult to conceive of anyone who loved Bethesda's re-imagined universe feeling any differently about this."

Joystiq: "How could I hope to evaluate the worth of Fallout: New Vegas, a full-price game that's practically identical, both graphically and mechanically, to another game that was released two years ago? How could I tell you whether or not it's an insult that you're being asked to pay $60 for a game that's so technically deficient that it scarcely feels past the beta stage?"

Giant Bomb: "Less than an hour in, I was staring at a guard, pacing back and forth to guard his post... 20 feet off the ground. Enemies clip into the ground with an alarming frequency, often making them impossible to shoot. The game--a retail disc running on a new-model Xbox 360--crashed on me about a dozen times over the 33 hours I spent playing, often taking a significant amount of progress with it. The load times and frame rate seemed to get randomly worse as I continued to play the game, with some simple scene transitions taking 20 seconds or more."

AtomicGamer: "Unfortunately, the Fallout: New Vegas experience is fraught with a pretty large range of bugs, some of which are hilarious and fun, and others which will just lock up the game. I found several crash bugs in both the 360 and PS3 versions, problems with the Caravan card game not starting properly, and plenty of issues with NPC pathing and animations."

Quarter To Three: "I will say it's got some really disappointing tech and balance issues. The Xbox 360 version has locked up on me several times and I've heard the same from a colleague who's also playing. In addition, there seems to be some sort of memory leak. I was about ready to just throw in the towel, convinced that the geometry and effects in the actual New Vegas area were too much for the engine. But I cleared the memory cache (not sure if that actually does anything) and restarted my 360, and that made a world of difference. Now I'm making a point to quit out every few hours."

FileFront: "Unfortunately, not everything about New Vegas is positive. First off, there are a horrific number of glitches in the XBox 360 version. Creatures routinely get stuck while navigating terrain, and the player can also get stuck in some very awkward locations, necessitating a reload of a save game. Also, the 360 version seems to have some crash issues. On numerous occasions the game would hang on the loading screen, forcing a hard reboot of the console. On the minor side, expect terrain graphics to pop-in from time to time."

G4TV: "Perhaps the biggest, most substantive criticism of Fallout: New Vegas is that it's glitchy. Not just annoying so, but utterly, game-breakingly glitchy. In a massive, marathon play-through (before the game's official launch), the game crashed five times in a 26 hour period, often in the middle of the action during vital moments."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/208167/does_fallout_new_vegas_jump_the_****roach.html/

Crazylegs77
10-20-2010, 02:59 AM
GamesTM: "New Vegas won't help Obsidian to shake its reputation as a purveyor of technically flawed but theoretically excellent sequels to other studio's games--the bugs here are numerous, and occasionally infuriating--but it's difficult to conceive of anyone who loved Bethesda's re-imagined universe feeling any differently about this."

Joystiq: "How could I hope to evaluate the worth of Fallout: New Vegas, a full-price game that's practically identical, both graphically and mechanically, to another game that was released two years ago? How could I tell you whether or not it's an insult that you're being asked to pay $60 for a game that's so technically deficient that it scarcely feels past the beta stage?"

Giant Bomb: "Less than an hour in, I was staring at a guard, pacing back and forth to guard his post... 20 feet off the ground. Enemies clip into the ground with an alarming frequency, often making them impossible to shoot. The game--a retail disc running on a new-model Xbox 360--crashed on me about a dozen times over the 33 hours I spent playing, often taking a significant amount of progress with it. The load times and frame rate seemed to get randomly worse as I continued to play the game, with some simple scene transitions taking 20 seconds or more."

AtomicGamer: "Unfortunately, the Fallout: New Vegas experience is fraught with a pretty large range of bugs, some of which are hilarious and fun, and others which will just lock up the game. I found several crash bugs in both the 360 and PS3 versions, problems with the Caravan card game not starting properly, and plenty of issues with NPC pathing and animations."

Quarter To Three: "I will say it's got some really disappointing tech and balance issues. The Xbox 360 version has locked up on me several times and I've heard the same from a colleague who's also playing. In addition, there seems to be some sort of memory leak. I was about ready to just throw in the towel, convinced that the geometry and effects in the actual New Vegas area were too much for the engine. But I cleared the memory cache (not sure if that actually does anything) and restarted my 360, and that made a world of difference. Now I'm making a point to quit out every few hours."

FileFront: "Unfortunately, not everything about New Vegas is positive. First off, there are a horrific number of glitches in the XBox 360 version. Creatures routinely get stuck while navigating terrain, and the player can also get stuck in some very awkward locations, necessitating a reload of a save game. Also, the 360 version seems to have some crash issues. On numerous occasions the game would hang on the loading screen, forcing a hard reboot of the console. On the minor side, expect terrain graphics to pop-in from time to time."

G4TV: "Perhaps the biggest, most substantive criticism of Fallout: New Vegas is that it's glitchy. Not just annoying so, but utterly, game-breakingly glitchy. In a massive, marathon play-through (before the game's official launch), the game crashed five times in a 26 hour period, often in the middle of the action during vital moments."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/208167/does_fallout_new_vegas_jump_the_****roach.html/

Yeah I read alot of PC users with performance issues (didnt realize the 360 had issues too), cant say I understand their problem it runs fine for me, VATS doesnt always work and there are some fine tuning that needs to be done definately. Otherwise been playing for like 5 hours and havent encountered any glitches.

My first impression was this is the same exact game which it is..same game engine..same graphics. No molerats yet, they been replaced with gekos :lol1:

Was hard to get into at first cause of the sameness but once you get going its fun, I loled @ one part where a guy ran up rejoicing in how he won the lotto and he was saying **** yeah! then I shot him and took his ticket :p

MidnightSpecial
10-20-2010, 03:29 AM
Yeah I read alot of PC users with performance issues (didnt realize the 360 had issues too), cant say I understand their problem it runs fine for me, VATS doesnt always work and there are some fine tuning that needs to be done definately. Otherwise been playing for like 5 hours and havent encountered any glitches.

My first impression was this is the same exact game which it is..same game engine..same graphics. No molerats yet, they been replaced with gekos :lol1:

Was hard to get into at first cause of the sameness but once you get going its fun, I loled @ one part where a guy ran up rejoicing in how he won the lotto and he was saying **** yeah! then I shot him and took his ticket :p

there are mole rats.

just gotta head north of the town you first start off in.

Grand Champ
10-20-2010, 06:42 AM
What's that got to do with Fallout? :thinking:

LMAO was watching Vegas and Vanquish review, I copy pasted the wrong one. The IGN review is up now.

Miburo
10-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Much too similar to its predecessor to bother with imo.

Grand Champ
10-20-2010, 06:55 AM

Agreed, I'm a little dissapointed so far. Been watching some video's on youtube of it. in the EU we get it the 22th it's already released in the US so I'm getting a peak at it..

Crazylegs77
10-20-2010, 07:24 AM
there are mole rats.

just gotta head north of the town you first start off in.

yeah recently ran into them on my way to find the guy with the checkered sportcoat :nonono:

Gojira
10-20-2010, 03:35 PM
I hope there is a patch out by friday.

Rudyo
10-20-2010, 05:48 PM
I got it and I gotta say it is pretty similar to Fall Out 3 but who cares? Fall Out 3 was an awesomely epic game and New Vegas has a better storyline and a lot more quests then 3.

I got the bug where you get shot in the air once so far, it happened on the Strip but nowhere else so far. I'm at level 9 with about 6 hours or so played so far.

Tomato Can
10-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Looks a good game, i might get the PC version.

Earl Hickey
10-20-2010, 07:01 PM
I cant afford this right at this moment, but from the reviews it may be a good thing to wait a couple of weeks until it gets patched, i cant wait for this though, im replaying fallout 3 in anticipation.

MidnightSpecial
10-20-2010, 08:58 PM

Agreed, I'm a little dissapointed so far. Been watching some video's on youtube of it. in the EU we get it the 22th it's already released in the US so I'm getting a peak at it..

"its too similar" is a weak excuse not to get the game IMO

for how quickly they released it after Fallout 3 what did you expect a whole new game?

the fact of the matter is there are still enough differences to make this game interesting

a whole laundry list of new weapons, enemies, etc.

yeah it feels the same but this game is a lot deeper than the first one

Earl Hickey
10-20-2010, 09:00 PM
It's too simmilar is like saying gta vice city was too simmilar to gta3. or zelda mm was too simmilar to zelda oot

Equilibrium
10-20-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm really enjoying the game, though i can't wait to get better guns. 9mm and varmint rifle are fcking peashooters.

For those playing the game on consoles, install it on your hard drive, people have been saying that the game performs better when installed.

Crazylegs77
10-20-2010, 09:35 PM
It's too simmilar is like saying gta vice city was too simmilar to gta3. or zelda mm was too simmilar to zelda oot

yeah it IS Fallout afterall people it is gonna be similar! The game is great originally I was like crap Im still burnt out from 100 hours of Fallout3 but once you get going your gonna be addicted again :D

I'm really enjoying the game, though i can't wait to get better guns. 9mm and varmint rifle are fcking peashooters.

For those playing the game on consoles, install it on your hard drive, people have been saying that the game performs better when installed.

Yeah the guns in the beginning suck, the best gun I found so far was the cowboy repeater...once you start killing people regularly you get to repair the varmint rifle though and it becomes somewhat better..

MidnightSpecial
10-20-2010, 10:53 PM

yeah it IS Fallout afterall people it is gonna be similar! The game is great originally I was like crap Im still burnt out from 100 hours of Fallout3 but once you get going your gonna be addicted again :D

Yeah the guns in the beginning suck, the best gun I found so far was the cowboy repeater...once you start killing people regularly you get to repair the varmint rifle though and it becomes somewhat better..

yall are making me feel like a nerd

i just got to NoVac and i got all kinds of weapons.

ive been mostly pillaging and "prospecting" though

got a 9mm machine gun 10mm pistol cowboy repeater some heavy metal armor

Miburo
10-21-2010, 03:57 AM
"its too similar" is a weak excuse not to get the game IMO

for how quickly they released it after Fallout 3 what did you expect a whole new game?

the fact of the matter is there are still enough differences to make this game interesting

a whole laundry list of new weapons, enemies, etc.

yeah it feels the same but this game is a lot deeper than the first one

I got bored of Fallout 3. It's the exact same game with new items and quests. It's basically an expansion. There's nothing to interest me. If I had never played Fallout 3 (which had issues of its own, namely the main plot) maybe there would be because it would seem new. I'm amazed how many people want to defend this buggy, overpriced POS to the death. What do you all care if I play? Almost no one in here would have even heard about Fallout if it wasn't released for Xbox. I'm saying its already vastly overrated, you all say it's the best thing ever. We're at loggerheads, so **** it. However, even I if I thought it had appeal I'd wait for a later edition or patch before going near this one, the glitchiness is at outrageous proportions from all evidence I've seen.

Miburo
10-21-2010, 04:08 AM

They were. Honestly I can't see how anyone could even get through a single GTA game, they're so repetitive. Good for about 20 hours then the novelty wears off.

Grand Champ
10-21-2010, 06:41 AM
Heard from the reviews that you can't keep playing after you finish the main story.. That kinda sucks dick that they went that route again. Or perhaps they want us to pay for another DLC like broken steel..

Grand Champ
10-21-2010, 06:42 AM
They were. Honestly I can't see how anyone could even get through a single GTA game, they're so repetitive. Good for about 20 hours then the novelty wears off.

In all fairness it's hard to buy into a franchise that isn't repetitive.. Bioshock 1 was one of the best things I played.. Bioshock 2 felt repetitive and more like a big expansion..

MidnightSpecial
10-21-2010, 10:26 AM
I got bored of Fallout 3. It's the exact same game with new items and quests. It's basically an expansion. There's nothing to interest me. If I had never played Fallout 3 (which had issues of its own, namely the main plot) maybe there would be because it would seem new. I'm amazed how many people want to defend this buggy, overpriced POS to the death. What do you all care if I play? Almost no one in here would have even heard about Fallout if it wasn't released for Xbox. I'm saying its already vastly overrated, you all say it's the best thing ever. We're at loggerheads, so **** it. However, even I if I thought it had appeal I'd wait for a later edition or patch before going near this one, the glitchiness is at outrageous proportions from all evidence I've seen.

I think you just like to play the antagonist honestly.

You said you didnt like the first one so clearly the franchise isnt for you.

But to dismiss it as a "buggy POS" is a little much.

Sure it has its bugs but it says a lot about the game that even though these bugs are apparent people easily look past them to enjoy the game as a whole.

You seem the type that hang on every little imperfection instead of enjoying something for what it is. New Vegas despite what you think its not an "overpriced expansion". The game has plenty to offer and is very much a stand alone title. I find that coming from you, a person who hasnt played it, rather funny.

And its not me defending it to the death. Because the same could be said for you on how you campaign against it. If the game isnt for you then so be it. But dont blame it on simple issues and act like we are the idiots for liking the game

Brick Top
10-21-2010, 10:38 AM
The Fallout series as a whole is the ****, haven't play New Vegas but I'm sure it will be good !

Crazylegs77
10-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Who should I ask to stand in front of the dinosaur when I put on my red beret? :firedevil :headbang:

MidnightSpecial
10-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Who should I ask to stand in front of the dinosaur when I put on my red beret? :firedevil :headbang:

haha i just got done with that part last night

im not gonna spoil it for you

but youll know for sure when you find the evidence

so dont just go out on a whim

Rick Grimes
10-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Changing too much can be a bad thing, stick to to what the fans know and like is the safest option, that's why sequels are very similar. The thing that i hate is that more and more developers are releasing games that have loads of bugs, thinking it doesn't matter because they can patch them later.

Miburo
10-22-2010, 12:34 AM
I think you just like to play the antagonist honestly.

You said you didnt like the first one so clearly the franchise isnt for you.

But to dismiss it as a "buggy POS" is a little much.

Sure it has its bugs but it says a lot about the game that even though these bugs are apparent people easily look past them to enjoy the game as a whole.

You seem the type that hang on every little imperfection instead of enjoying something for what it is. New Vegas despite what you think its not an "overpriced expansion". The game has plenty to offer and is very much a stand alone title. I find that coming from you, a person who hasnt played it, rather funny.

And its not me defending it to the death. Because the same could be said for you on how you campaign against it. If the game isnt for you then so be it. But dont blame it on simple issues and act like we are the idiots for liking the game

Uh, where did I say that? I played the sh1t out of the first one, great game, but once I'd gone through it all that was enough, the fun wore off. Not playing something that isn't quality isn't antagonistic, it's practical.

Whatever, go **** yourself with your passive aggression a$$hole.

MidnightSpecial
10-22-2010, 01:06 AM
Uh, where did I say that? I played the sh1t out of the first one, great game, but once I'd gone through it all that was enough, the fun wore off. Not playing something that isn't quality isn't antagonistic, it's practical.

Whatever, go **** yourself with your passive aggression a$$hole.

WTF?

why do you always get so ****ing hostile when someone has a different opinion?

ive agreed with you many times on this forum and have had some good conversations with you

but just because i feel your selling a video game short one some weak basis your gonna tell me to go **** myself?

ive lost respect for you

:nono:

passive aggression?

ok

i was simply pointing out you have a pretentious view on this whole game.

just because it resembles the original we are automatically idiots for buying it?

Miburo
10-22-2010, 03:56 AM
WTF?

why do you always get so ****ing hostile when someone has a different opinion?

ive agreed with you many times on this forum and have had some good conversations with you

but just because i feel your selling a video game short one some weak basis your gonna tell me to go **** myself?

ive lost respect for you

:nono:

passive aggression?

ok

i was simply pointing out you have a pretentious view on this whole game.

just because it resembles the original we are automatically idiots for buying it?

Could say the same for you pal. All this stemmed from you having to take issue with me simply claiming that, in my opinion, it's too similar to Fallout 3 to be really enticing for someone who had played that game. Then, after giving perfectly valid reasons for that standpoint, as well as pointing out we won't come to an agreement so let it lie, you refuse to do so and come back saying I'm going out of my way to be hostile and provocative. I could care less about the respect of you or anyone else on this forum.

Crazylegs77
10-22-2010, 03:59 PM
haha i just got done with that part last night

im not gonna spoil it for you

but youll know for sure when you find the evidence

so dont just go out on a whim

hehe I did it found the bill of sale...justice was served.

did you have a new traveling companion? or did you part ways after the kill.