View Full Version : Question about Skipping Ropes

GhostFighter
10-18-2010, 11:44 AM
What kind of skipping rope would give me the most work out for my arms? Iron, nylon, leather or plastic made?

mrboxer
10-18-2010, 11:50 AM
What kind of skipping rope would give me the most work out for my arms? Iron, nylon, leather or plastic made?you seem to be very curious about this,have you tried any of them,if so get the one that you feel more comfortable with,:boxing:

Sugarj
10-18-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm interested in why you are so interested in it being a workout for the arms.
There are tonnes of decent arm exercises other than skipping. Hee hee.

You can obviously get weighted skipping ropes (the handles are fairly heavy). But while you will get more tired in your arms skipping with one of these, you will likely not be quite as quick (fewer reps per minute), therefore your legs will get less of a workout.

My favorite ropes are made from the plastic/rubbery material, Reebok do a good one! These are not weighted. I find that they are faster and more durable than the leather ropes.

Think of skipping as being a good full body cardio exercise that improves coordination, rhythm and footwork.

josh-hill
10-18-2010, 01:26 PM
seconded. dont do skipping for your arms. i also prefer the light plastic ones

ScottDBA
10-18-2010, 01:28 PM
If the best workout for your arms is your main priority for skipping ropes then you can get ones that are a metal rope (usually coated in plastic/rubber) with metal handles.

But skipping is more considered a fast paced cardio workout or a warmup. If you do it fast with a regular speed rope you will feel it in your arms/shoulders too.

mrboxer
10-18-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm interested in why you are so interested in it being a workout for the arms.
There are tonnes of decent arm exercises other than skipping. Hee hee.

You can obviously get weighted skipping ropes (the handles are fairly heavy). But while you will get more tired in your arms skipping with one of these, you will likely not be quite as quick (fewer reps per minute), therefore your legs will get less of a workout.

My favorite ropes are made from the plastic/rubbery material, Reebok do a good one! These are not weighted. I find that they are faster and more durable than the leather ropes.

Think of skipping as being a good full body cardio exercise that improves coordination, rhythm and footwork.

seconded. dont do skipping for your arms. i also prefer the light plastic onesthe arms assist the wrists when working the skipping rope,you two seem to be speculating that arms have nothing to do with the rope skipping process:boxing:

Sugarj
10-18-2010, 04:07 PM
the arms assist the wrists when working the skipping rope,you two seem to be speculating that arms have nothing to do with the rope skipping process:boxing:

Mr Boxer,

Please see my final paragraph,

'Think of skipping as being a good full body cardio exercise that improves coordination, rhythm and footwork'

The arms are part of the full body!

I dont mean to be sarcastic but your post was pretty weak. I've skipped rope for two decades, its something I do rather well!

Dan-O-Mac
10-18-2010, 09:04 PM
What kind of skipping rope would give me the most work out for my arms? Iron, nylon, leather or plastic made?

Wtf is an iron skip rope?

Sugarj
10-19-2010, 08:17 AM

I guess its for those who dont want to be 'chained' down to one rope! Ha ha

Spartacus Sully
10-19-2010, 09:25 AM

Probably something like this:

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-heavy-ropes.html

has any one used one of these? they seem like they would be better then ones with just the weighted handels. the weight looks evenly distributed so im thinking it might be easier to swing faster.

ScottDBA
10-19-2010, 09:50 AM
We've got a weighted one at my gym. The rope part is made out of a metal cable coated in plastic/rubber and the handles are metal too. You can't spin it as fast so it's not really good for fast paced conditioning but you feel it in your arms alot more so it's good for building up muscluar endurance.

Just don't whip yourself with it. :blackeye:

mrboxer
10-19-2010, 11:34 AM
i think that the person who is doing the actual skipping would be able to tell which rope is the right rope,i think that hands on experience would get the skipper the full amount of information surrounding the rope or ropes that seem to work for the skipper:boxing::drillserg

paulsinghnl
10-19-2010, 03:19 PM
leather, all the past greats used leather for a reason, my teacher told me to get leather. you can go fast with that too once you get good with it, and it'll get your shoulders strong and conditioned too.

boxing4fitness
10-23-2010, 02:08 AM
jump rope one very good total body workout. it is also very essential to boxers. leather ropes is good and is a bit heavier than plastic but i prefer plastic. plastic is more fore speed. focus on speed in doing jump rope. it's a great work when done properly. check boxing-4-fitness.com/jump-rope.html

Pony Boy
10-24-2010, 10:59 PM
I like the Rival jump rope. They're very economical and really good because they don't get tangled up like some of the other plastic jump ropes.

Here's a link to the pic. http://store.titleboxing.com/rival-speed-rope.html