View Full Version : Lets talk Sparring!

rocco1252
08-09-2005, 10:59 PM
So tonight I sparred 8 rounds and 3 different people and some people go out there and dont do an awful lot or really try to hit you hard kind of 50 percent speed and there not that good or brand new and afraid so I dont hit him back as hard as I would like to at 75 percent speed on most people of equal or better talent.
Then I find myself sparring with a person not too good either but going at 75 percent still kind of boring he wasnt that good his dad was all hype talking him and the kids face was ****ed up from a few years of fighting.
Then theres the guy who goes all out and you, you cant ***** about it but you have to hit them back at same level if not harder because they are stupid ****s and had to mess around in sparring and he was 30 pounds heavier than me he hit hard but didnt hurt me but stupid because I dont want to hurt him in training but I may.
Tell me guys what is right for sparring I just moved gyms and I dont know if I like this trainer because he doesnt regulate the speed at which people go when it starts to go out of hand, so basically I know what I feel is right at like 75 percent speed not all out and most else always do as well. What do you and your trainers do for sparring?

boxer2k5
08-09-2005, 11:40 PM
i usually spar as hard as my opponent
im nto out there trying to win anything
or knock dude out

i usualy have a goal in mind when i spar
like work on my jab today
or work on my slipping or rolling

so im focused on that no matter
what my partner is doing

only time i spar hard is when i go to other gyms
or other gyms comming to mine
but even then i dont go all the way
unless my partner goes all the way

lowkey77
08-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Well, the rule i stick to is hit as hard as you want to be hit. My coach always yells as me to go full speed and the just make contact. If i am better then the guy i try to work on countering, but i am not going to bore you with details you already know.
I am the smallest guy at my gym, so I got no choice but to go all out :)

rocco1252
08-10-2005, 10:03 AM
i usually spar as hard as my opponent
im nto out there trying to win anything
or knock dude out

i usualy have a goal in mind when i spar
like work on my jab today
or work on my slipping or rolling

so im focused on that no matter
what my partner is doing

only time i spar hard is when i go to other gyms
or other gyms comming to mine
but even then i dont go all the way
unless my partner goes all the way
Nice reply, I agree with going as hard as the other guy and working on certain techniques/skills. I just disagree with people trying to go all out in the gym, I am not afraid of them I have just been brought up in a gym where you dont want to get hurt training and thats the sole purpose of sparring (for training)! You dont hurt the other people in the gym because that could hurt your chances when you go to fight. I dont know just contemplating whether or not I want to stay at this gym or go try another.

boxer2k5
08-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Nice reply, I agree with going as hard as the other guy and working on certain techniques/skills. I just disagree with people trying to go all out in the gym, I am not afraid of them I have just been brought up in a gym where you dont want to get hurt training and thats the sole purpose of sparring (for training)! You dont hurt the other people in the gym because that could hurt your chances when you go to fight. I dont know just contemplating whether or not I want to stay at this gym or go try another.
i def agree
theres this one big kid i my gym
who is real rough and clinches all the time

i get pissed ebcause we are supposed to be
working out training
he is sparring as if he is trying to win the fight
im liek dawg im not going to hurt you jsut box

last time he did it i got dirty as well
and hit him with lead rights to the back of the head
when i pivot
when he clinch i spin him around and attack him
until my coach breaks us up

he dontdo that **** anymore

he is like 6-3 230
lol

you gotta be in controll
at all times even if your going 50%

because my 50% is better than his 100%

boxer2k5
08-10-2005, 11:29 AM
also lately alot of my sparring partners
clinch me alot

i used to get pissed but im staying focused
because i have to be prepared for anythign in my fights

with pivot and short hooks
they are gettign destroyed and when they piviot
i use maywether elbow push to give me room for a lead
right hand

rocco1252
08-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Nice man, yeah this punk is still young and I'm sure new to the sport under a year either that or he wanted to try and show me up considering it way my first day at this new gym. He was bigger than me by about 30 lbs and alittle more powerful but I took him to school as far as skill went. I just dont want to hurt anyone in training there is no sense.

rocco1252
08-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Are you a good inside fightER 2k? Or do you prefer to fight outside? I recall you saying you were around 190lbs but dont remember what you said for height? Usually that makes the difference in fight style, whats the problem with people clinching I understand its tiring and shouldnt happen in sparring but it's always some good practice especially when you encounter it in a real fight.

boxer2k5
08-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Are you a good inside fightER 2k? Or do you prefer to fight outside? I recall you saying you were around 190lbs but dont remember what you said for height? Usually that makes the difference in fight style, whats the problem with people clinching I understand its tiring and shouldnt happen in sparring but it's always some good practice especially when you encounter it in a real fight.

im 5'11

im ight inside im ight outside
im good at medium range

ive been working on my inside fighting alot
and its getting up there

my defense though on the inside is
ill so it allows me to get away with decent offense
when they cant hit or hurt me

but im going ot be a problem when my close range offense
catches up

im in no rush im working on each technique
one by one and working on perfection

i have no intentions to fight on the outside
or work on it

my arms are short and i feel i can do the most damage and
]have the msot speed medium and close

rocco1252
08-10-2005, 02:17 PM
im 5'11

im good at medium range

and its getting up there

catches up

or work on it

TRUE MAN, I need to learn to fight outside and get some movement in my legs because I just stand there and brawl best but I'm working on it, the way I fight has worked for me since I started so I just hope it continues that way for me.

boxer2k5
08-10-2005, 03:23 PM
TRUE MAN, I need to learn to fight outside and get some movement in my legs because I just stand there and brawl best but I'm working on it, the way I fight has worked for me since I started so I just hope it continues that way for me.

if your style is brawling work on that
jsut add in some head movement
and a good jab
youll be fine

and remeber to work their body
if you gonna brawl
they be tired and cant
counter you as much

Renegade
08-10-2005, 06:38 PM
I recommend you change gyms. If this trainer can't/won't control sparring, there's gonna be other things in his, and thus your if he's your trainer, that he can't/won't control or take full responsibility for. Trust yourself, you've got it right.

EXIGE
08-10-2005, 07:32 PM
When i sparr, like you, i go at about 75-80% but even then i am regulated as to what i can do.

For instance once i was sparring this kid and i kept hitting him he didnt have a chance and he didnt throw one punch in about a minute and a half. When he put his guard higher i just used my speed to get into his body and i was landing some clean shots on face and body.

Then my trainer kinda interupted the fight and told me to slow down the speed and the power, so now i only work at about 60% until i fight somebody i know isnt going to go lightly on me, like those who are trying to prove a point.

Another time, before the actual sparring my trainer was tieing my gloves up for me and he said quietly, dont go mad on these people, cos you hit really hard. Do you know how much of a morale boost that was for me? It was brilliant, but it also means i have to be responsible and dont go all out.

This is all within my first 2 months of boxing and i am being told this.

Oh just to finish it off, my trainer said i will be fighting next season, and the season starts in September, so for me the whole boxing thing is going really well.

All i can say to you is keep at this gym for about another 2 weeks or so, then change if you see no alteration in the trainers attitude. Work hard on every session, and perfect something each time, like Boxer2k5 does. Its the best way to progress.

chopper77
08-11-2005, 03:30 PM
I was training when I lived in Florida and got into the ring with this guy. I went to touch gloves and he nailed me with a straight right to the stomach. There was this big black guy who was a pro at this gym, and him and I got along real well. He pulled me aside and told me that WHENEVER you got in the ring it was to be all business. I learned from that, and I just thought I would share. From all that you guys have said what I have come away with is this: You always learn. You fight a guy who holds, runs, clinches, and fights with his elbows. Thing is on fight night you don't know what kind of style the other guy has. You have to be ready. I say if he holds, make him chase while you pepper him with straight lefts and rights. If he runs, cut the ring and make him fight. If he fights dirty, beat the living **** out of him.

EXIGE
08-11-2005, 04:36 PM
I was training when I lived in Florida and got into the ring with this guy. I went to touch gloves and he nailed me with a straight right to the stomach. There was this big black guy who was a pro at this gym, and him and I got along real well. He pulled me aside and told me that WHENEVER you got in the ring it was to be all business. I learned from that, and I just thought I would share. From all that you guys have said what I have come away with is this: You always learn. You fight a guy who holds, runs, clinches, and fights with his elbows. Thing is on fight night you don't know what kind of style the other guy has. You have to be ready. I say if he holds, make him chase while you pepper him with straight lefts and rights. If he runs, cut the ring and make him fight. If he fights dirty, beat the living **** out of him.
So you learnt how not to be a sportsman?

boxer2k5
08-11-2005, 04:48 PM
So you learnt how not to be a sportsman?

they tell u in fights not to touch gloves
the ref tells me that all the time

i touch gloves in sparring
but were like a big family

EXIGE
08-11-2005, 08:53 PM
they tell u in fights not to touch gloves
the ref tells me that all the time

i touch gloves in sparring
but were like a big family
My statement remains. Its still unsportsmanlike.

Plus didnt he say that happened in sparring?

In professional boxing they do it for sure, and the ref encourages it, how comes not in amateurs?

Oh well.

boxer2k5
08-11-2005, 08:58 PM
My statement remains. Its still unsportsmanlike.

Plus didnt he say that happened in sparring?

In professional boxing they do it for sure, and the ref encourages it, how comes not in amateurs?

Oh well.

i touch gloves all the time
but that dont mean your opponent has to
its no big deal you show the sportsman
liek conduct after the fight when you give a
hug and shake his hands and his trainer and
tell them good fight

EXIGE
08-11-2005, 10:36 PM
i touch gloves all the time
but that dont mean your opponent has to
its no big deal you show the sportsman
liek conduct after the fight when you give a
hug and shake his hands and his trainer and
tell them good fight
True True.

Its good that you do it. If others dont its their loss when it comes to the end and they sittin on their ass.

GreenTea
08-12-2005, 12:48 AM
You and your sparring partner can agree on the rules or the intensity percentage before you start to spar.
If you have a much bigger or better sparring partner thereīs no shame to ask your partner to take a little easier, if he/she wonīt understand to do it otherwise.

Just keep on working. Remember that the footwork is key to everything.

.::EnRiQuE::.
08-12-2005, 02:12 AM
im 5'11

im good at medium range

and its getting up there

catches up

or work on it

don't limit urself to only being able to fight on the inseide. you want to become as versatile as possible. u might run into a time where fighting inside isnt the best idea where you'll have to box from the outside...at least just wrk on it just incase if you ever have to do it.

GreenTea
08-12-2005, 02:21 AM
don't limit urself to only being able to fight on the inseide. you want to become as versatile as possible. u might run into a time where fighting inside isnt the best idea where you'll have to box from the outside...at least just wrk on it just incase if you ever have to do it.

I totally agree !

Pugnacious_Z
08-12-2005, 02:47 AM
You and your sparring partner can agree on the rules or the intensity percentage before you start to spar.
If you have a much bigger or better sparring partner thereīs no shame to ask your partner to take a little easier, if he/she wonīt understand to do it otherwise.

Just keep on working. Remember that the footwork is key to everything.

u wrote he/she. who the hell wud tell a girl to go easy on dem? LOOOOOOL

ricecrispi
08-12-2005, 04:01 AM
Trainers are responsible for the speed of the sparring but in the end you have to protect yourself. Trainer is not fighting, you are and thats the bottomline. I seen a jab only sparring drills where a guy threw a left hook by accident with the trainer in the ring! The guy got knockout and when he got up the trainer said, you should've kept your hands up.
The whole room started to laugh because it was the truth.

Always spar to give someone a challenge and yourself a challenge. I don't lower myself to the point I am even with someone else. That's not the point of sparring.

When I spar with a new partner I always tell them I'm going at 75% power and I go full speed and i do go up if you are going too hard. I don't care what they want, it's to protect myself. They can do whatever they want. If they don't agree i'll walk and do some drilss. Once I trust you then we can change the speed and power. Then we go 50% speed 50% power or go up from there.

GreenTea
08-12-2005, 05:50 AM
Trainers are responsible for the speed of the sparring but in the end you have to protect yourself. Trainer is not fighting, you are and thats the bottomline. I seen a jab only sparring drills where a guy threw a left hook by accident with the trainer in the ring! The guy got knockout and when he got up the trainer said, you should've kept your hands up.
The whole room started to laugh because it was the truth.

Always spar to give someone a challenge and yourself a challenge. I don't lower myself to the point I am even with someone else. That's not the point of sparring.

When I spar with a new partner I always tell them I'm going at 75% power and I go full speed and i do go up if you are going too hard. I don't care what they want, it's to protect myself. They can do whatever they want. If they don't agree i'll walk and do some drilss. Once I trust you then we can change the speed and power. Then we go 50% speed 50% power or go up from there.

I disagree. If you face a beginner who is the very first time in the ring for sparring and you go there with 75% power, you are just stupid. It would be better if you went there at all.
Because, in the case like this, you are there to improve your partners knowledge and skill, not your own.
Itīs the totally different situation when you face a partner who you know to be about the same level as you are. Then you can go there even with 100%.

GreenTea
08-12-2005, 05:56 AM
u wrote he/she. who the hell wud tell a girl to go easy on dem? LOOOOOOL

:D

I meant of course that a girl can tell to another girl.

.... why not some chickens too. :boxing:

chopper77
08-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Hey X I didn't say I ripped the guy, I said he ripped me. Oh well, I guess he wasn't very sportsman like. Just remeber the last thing you hear is "protect yourself at all times". I travelled alot when I was younger, and when I went into these gyms there were guys I got to know and guys I didn't. Before the military, the gym I grew up in, we would never do anthing like that, we were a family. I'm just saying when you watch the pro's spar they go at it for real, and so should you.

boxer2k5
08-12-2005, 12:33 PM

i agree
but the only moves im really working on
on the outside is my jab my counter jab and
power jab to the body

ieverything else i need to be medium range or close up
fighting close up effectivly is much harder than distance
im working on getting that down

ive bene working on my lead hook
but it works well at close to medium distances

ricecrispi
08-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Green Tea, you can go ahead and be the guy and caught the left hook and was lying on the floor. I'd rather be the guy who threw it anyday of the week. Boxing is a rough sport on purpose or by accident

I am 100% honest. I can fight at anyspeed, if a person want to slow down and I trust them I will tone it down. Some guys go all out and they tell you and you have to deal with it. I mean I'm not going to lie and say go 50% and go all out like some losers out there...

Most cases you can watch the person spar for 1 minute in the ring before you and know how hard to go. If you don't you should pay attention a little closer. For guys getting into the ring it's different. Even brand new boxers that look like bums but are power punchers look for one shot and don't know how to conrol themselves. They get one lucky wild home run swing and you might get hurt..... Seen it happen to many times.

Choppper77 has it right. The big boys go out and protect themselves, I am definitely not going to be lying on the mat in a slump or come home with a bloody nose or a black eye. Trainers will always say protect yourself at all times when you are in te ring. If you can't protect yourself you have no reason to be in a ring. Hard knocks life.

GreenTea
08-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Green Tea, you can go ahead and be the guy and caught the left hook and was lying on the floor. I'd rather be the guy who threw it anyday of the week. Boxing is a rough sport on purpose or by accident

I am 100% honest. I can fight at anyspeed, if a person want to slow down and I trust them I will tone it down. Some guys go all out and they tell you and you have to deal with it. I mean I'm not going to lie and say go 50% and go all out like some losers out there...

Most cases you can watch the person spar for 1 minute in the ring before you and know how hard to go. If you don't you should pay attention a little closer. For guys getting into the ring it's different. Even brand new boxers that look like bums but are power punchers look for one shot and don't know how to conrol themselves. They get one lucky wild home run swing and you might get hurt..... Seen it happen to many times.

Choppper77 has it right. The big boys go out and protect themselves, I am definitely not going to be lying on the mat in a slump or come home with a bloody nose or a black eye. Trainers will always say protect yourself at all times when you are in te ring. If you can't protect yourself you have no reason to be in a ring. Hard knocks life.

What the f**k? Do you mean that the guys who are the first time in the ring are so dangerous to you that you would get hurt. I have been there just playing around with them. Even if they have a background of some other fighting spotrs.
I didnīt mean that you have to drop your guard when you face the brand new boxer whoīs looking like a bum. I meant that it would be enough if you went there with little bit easier or with a little less power.

ricecrispi
08-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Well if you look a fool in the ring you shouldn't be in the ring or you stay in the ring till you stop looking like a fool. That's what mytrainer told new guys. If they were fresh i might tone it down on a trainers request but 75% power and natural speed is the bottomline.

I don't know about you but the minimum most people spar at is 50% otherwise its just a drill. So how is 75% power too much to handle? Even though I hit extremely hard for 130, I'm still 130, definitely not heavy handed. Most of the guys I spar at my size are mexican and they don't stroll in the park.

Most boxers are grown men and if they get in the ring they should expect a bloody or swollen lip, puffy cheeks, and a soft nose bridge. If they are young they should expect that too. I would never expect someone to take it easy on me unless I asked them and trusted them at the same time.

GreenTea
08-16-2005, 01:47 AM
I donīt know what are your trainerīs coaching principles, but I tell the new boxers to get in the ring as soon as possible so that theyīll get comfortable with the ring priciples also as soon as possible. They will see and learn how fast are the hands and footwork of the guys in there. The more experienced guy hits fast but lightly. He moves fast in and out and the new guy tries to get comfortable with that.

I tell this, because the ring is the best place to learn footwork and fighting eye. And if itīs possible to train these things with an experienced boxer, itīs just great.
Of course the power and speed will be increased after the new guy have got more skill and experience, but if heīs not ready for that I think itīs just foolishness.

As I told you before, there are guys in my gym who spar with 100%, with corner men and judges. Thatīs the goal for every boxer before the first competition. I donīt understand that some of the coaches wants to make the sparring as a different kind of happening compared to real competition. If the guy is not ready to spar with 100% ( against the guy in the same weight class ), heīs definetly not ready to fight in the competition.

Thatīs why I disagreed with you.