View Full Version : Are hot dogs unhealthy?...

Patty Tanager
10-12-2010, 06:18 PM
You'd think they were garbage for you wouldn't you?.

Looked on the back of a tin before and it was around 2.7gram of fat per hot dog with 1. something grams of saturated.

3 gram of carbohydrates per hot dog which is low by my reckoning.

So are they really unhealthy?.

:dunno:

:hitit::hitit::hitit:

Holtol
10-12-2010, 06:32 PM
I don't think so. I started training from the age of 11 till 27 and never found there to be a magic food.

I tried all sorts of different foods over that time. If you are training hard six days a week most people are not going to put on fat. Unless you have an amazingly efficient system.

The odd hot dog is not going to hurt you if you are training hard and eating lots of different food groups.

Sugarj
10-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Full of salt, poor meat quality and are full of sulphites (preservatives). Not the best thing for your gut! If you eat plenty of these in sufficient quantity your chances of developing bowel cancer and/or blood pressure issues later in life rise dramatically.

MOTHER DUCKER
10-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Someone told me frankfurters arent to bad

Sugarj
10-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Someone told me frankfurters arent to bad

I guess it depends on the brand. Having a hot dog now and again is fine. I'll eat one now and again, I just wouldn't recommend eating several a week.

Bastian Loc
10-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Do hookers have the clap?

Hot dogs is probably one of the worst things you can eat.

The meat is an amalgamation of all kinds of animal parts from the killing floor, its processed to death, its got all kinds of chemicals, full of salt, and all kinds of other mystery items that I couldnt' even spell out.

If you're serious about your body, I'd make this a once a month thing at best.

Bastian Loc
10-12-2010, 07:01 PM
This oughta' scare you straight mate.

http://www.naturalnews.com/phototour_mystery_meat_1.html

Clegg
10-12-2010, 07:08 PM
My cat never eats hot dogs.

This is notable because my cat will even eat...cat food.

Earl Hickey
10-12-2010, 07:12 PM
There isnt that much bad stuff in them, but to be fair there isn't any good stuff either, its a bankrupt food.

I always say if you work hard in the gym you can eat what you want within reason, i just read that wlad klitschko has chocolate cake every day just to get the extra calories, another guy i know used to DRINK 100mls of olive oil every day to get an extra 700 calories, so as i say if you are burning **** loads off, a little bit of a treat wont hurt you at all

Clegg
10-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Olive oil is recommended because of the good fats.

Never heard that about Wlad (or anyone) with chocolate cake though. There are many better things if your aim is to get your calories up.

Earl Hickey
10-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Olive oil is recommended because of the good fats.

Never heard that about Wlad (or anyone) with chocolate cake though. There are many better things if your aim is to get your calories up.

Yeah, i've got to be honest though diet is a problem for me, i can't livo on chicken breasts and steamed veggies for too long or i go insane, I don't mind putting an hour in at the pool, or 45 minutes on the treadmill to give me a bit more freedom with my diet.

Patty Tanager
10-12-2010, 07:34 PM
I wasn't thinking once a month, more like once a week.

They seem to have lowish fat content and low on carbohydrates. Surely i couldn't put on weight eating those bastards?.

I see they maybe full of salt and other bollocks that may or may not have an adverse effect on my blood pressure, but don't know if it would cause any considerably danger to me in the short term.

Earl Hickey
10-12-2010, 07:37 PM
I wasn't thinking once a month, more like once a week.

They seem to have lowish fat content and low on carbohydrates. Surely i couldn't put on weight eating those bastards?.

I see they maybe full of salt and other bollocks that may or may not have an adverse effect on my blood pressure, but don't know if it would cause any considerably danger to me in the short term.

People will disagree with me, but i say go for it.

Just make sure you are doing a lot of gym work and eat what you like.

I have a big can of red bull every day, i go out and have a few beers on friday, and i have a take away here and there, the flipside is i do at least 7 hours of cardio per week.

Bastian Loc
10-12-2010, 07:47 PM
McGuire, don't listen to Hickey, he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

If you must eat a damn hot dog, do it only once or twice a month. They're like gastro-intestinal poison.

Patty Tanager
10-12-2010, 07:50 PM
People will disagree with me, but i say go for it.

Just make sure you are doing a lot of gym work and eat what you like.

I have a big can of red bull every day, i go out and have a few beers on friday, and i have a take away here and there, the flipside is i do at least 7 hours of cardio per week.

I only eat 3 meals a day now with no snacks at all. I know this probably isn't the healthiest way to lower my weight and train seriously at the same time, but it works for me.

I need to cut down on the beer though because at the moment i am averaging 24 cans a week minimum. I have got into decent shape in the past while continuing with my drinking habits, but i know i need to cut it down if i'm to get in proper shape.

Earl Hickey
10-12-2010, 07:55 PM
I only eat 3 meals a day now with no snacks at all. I know this probably isn't the healthiest way to lower my weight and train seriously at the same time, but it works for me.

I need to cut down on the beer though because at the moment i am averaging 24 cans a week minimum. I have got into decent shape in the past while continuing with my drinking habits, but i know i need to cut it down if i'm to get in proper shape.

I just say you have got to live mate, unless you are like a pro bodybuilder who makes his living winning competitions, eating cardboard your whole life isnt worth it.

just have to get the balance right.

blaze778
10-12-2010, 07:57 PM
When the hot dogs taste like ****.

Sugarj
10-13-2010, 05:35 AM

24 cans a week min needs addressing a touch mate and not just athletically. Its not ridiculous but its well over the weekly recommended max, it will affect your liver, kidneys and possibly more over time.

The odd Friday and/or Saturday 7 or 8 cans over the course of a night isn't too bad........I'm as guilty as anyone, but 24 cans min seems to indicate a fair bit of mid week practice too.

All the best.

Aperion
10-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Yes hotdogs are horrible for you, and I live in Chicago and we love our hotdogs here. Very occasinal, like once a month, I'm sure is fine. But hotdogs barely qualify as food, I suppose if you really like hotdogs find ones that are made with 100% real meat and no added anything, if that even exists - but if you like regular hotdogs you probably wouldn't like any other kinds because your body/palate is used to the salt, which is actually another good reason not to eat them.

Uh, yea 24 cans of beer is a lot - not just for an athlete but just as a person, if your young it might just be because your young and like to party and stuff - but I'm telling you - lay off now. Know any people with drinking problems? Its really easy to become that. If I buy a six pack of beer, it lasts 6 days for me. Just try having 1 drink with dinner, it becomes something really nice to look forward too. That way you can actually drink good beer and enjoy it instead of carbonated pee in a can.

Patty Tanager
10-13-2010, 11:27 AM
24 cans a week min needs addressing a touch mate and not just athletically. Its not ridiculous but its well over the weekly recommended max, it will affect your liver, kidneys and possibly more over time.

The odd Friday and/or Saturday 7 or 8 cans over the course of a night isn't too bad........I'm as guilty as anyone, but 24 cans min seems to indicate a fair bit of mid week practice too.

All the best.

Yes hotdogs are horrible for you, and I live in Chicago and we love our hotdogs here. Very occasinal, like once a month, I'm sure is fine. But hotdogs barely qualify as food, I suppose if you really like hotdogs find ones that are made with 100% real meat and no added anything, if that even exists - but if you like regular hotdogs you probably wouldn't like any other kinds because your body/palate is used to the salt, which is actually another good reason not to eat them.

Uh, yea 24 cans of beer is a lot - not just for an athlete but just as a person, if your young it might just be because your young and like to party and stuff - but I'm telling you - lay off now. Know any people with drinking problems? Its really easy to become that. If I buy a six pack of beer, it lasts 6 days for me. Just try having 1 drink with dinner, it becomes something really nice to look forward too. That way you can actually drink good beer and enjoy it instead of carbonated pee in a can.

I don't think i'm addicted to alcohol, but i could happily drink 2 pints before bed every night. I don't though, just saying i love the taste and it helps to relax me after a tough day. Although that maybe classed as a problem in some peoples eyes.

What can you do though?, my mates are straight in the pub after work on Friday and in the pub even earlier on the Saturday.

I don't think the calories in beer are bad for you something called empty calories so i believe (i ain't an expert :D). One of my mates is ripped and he easily out drinks me. He trains all week then goes mental at the weekend :lol1:, the guy is a machine!>

Journeyman
10-13-2010, 11:50 AM
i think hotdogs are allright maybe once a week. Diet can be very important for all types of athletes but in the end, we ARE the male human species and should simply eat what we can, and in moderation, what we enjoy. Plus that little bit of guilt you may feel after eating bad food can give you that extra juice and motivation to go hard during the next session

Holtol
10-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Full of salt, poor meat quality and are full of sulphites (preservatives). Not the best thing for your gut! If you eat plenty of these in sufficient quantity your chances of developing bowel cancer and/or blood pressure issues later in life rise dramatically.

If you are training hard you need lot's of salt. If your salt levels get to low and you are training hard you can go into seizures. I have seen it happen. If you are training 3 hrs or even 1hr a day think how much salt is leaving your body in your sweat.

You need to eat everything the body needs and I'm not saying your going to get it all in hot dogs. But they are not going to effect someone's athletic performance.

If some one sits on their butt all day though your definitely right the salt can be a problem.

BrooklynBomber
10-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Look, if you bust your ass in the gym 5 times a week and eat healthy one hot dog a week would not bother you. Consider it to be your junk food, as it is really nothing else. And as junk foods go, this one is not that bad.

BrooklynBomber
10-13-2010, 04:00 PM
If you are training hard you need lot's of salt. If your salt levels get to low and you are training hard you can go into seizures. I have seen it happen. If you are training 3 hrs or even 1hr a day think how much salt is leaving your body in your sweat.

You need to eat everything the body needs and I'm not saying your going to get it all in hot dogs. But they are not going to effect someone's athletic performance.

If some one sits on their butt all day though your definitely right the salt can be a problem.

this is actually a very good point. unless your goal is to be dry as hell(at the expense of good health) you need a good sodium intake. The problem, as I see it, is that food producers add sodium to like every processed food and we dont even know it, so it turns that you are taking a goood amount more salt then you actually think.

Sugarj
10-13-2010, 04:14 PM

I've trained hard for the best part of two decades now and agree that getting the right balance of salt is important. I know what it feels like to train after consuming too much salt or not enough.

But I wouldn't choose to have a hot dog before going out on a 10K run.

And I wouldn't recommend a hot dog as a recovery food after training.

And to a non training individual a hotdog/s probably have a negative health effect. The salt in a couple of hot dogs most likely exceeds the daily recommended sodium intake. The resulting urge to drink water can cause bloating.

Hot dogs only have one advantage, they taste ok. Ha ha

Holtol
10-13-2010, 04:37 PM
this is actually a very good point. unless your goal is to be dry as hell(at the expense of good health) you need a good sodium intake. The problem, as I see it, is that food producers add sodium to like every processed food and we dont even know it, so it turns that you are taking a goood amount more salt then you actually think.

I've trained hard for the best part of two decades now and agree that getting the right balance of salt is important. I know what it feels like to train after consuming too much salt or not enough.

But I wouldn't choose to have a hot dog before going out on a 10K run.

And I wouldn't recommend a hot dog as a recovery food after training.

And to a non training individual a hotdog/s probably have a negative health effect. The salt in a couple of hot dogs most likely exceeds the daily recommended sodium intake. The resulting urge to drink water can cause bloating.

Hot dogs only have one advantage, they taste ok. Ha ha

If your trying to cut weight in boxing you have to watch your diet more then I would. The sports I was particiapating in and traning for cutting weight was not a issue.

I never was a big fan of hot dogs, never liked the taste to much. I don't see the big problem with what they are made of though. I think they are just organ meat and intestines and stuff, maybe with a bit of bone marrow thrown in. There are likely nutrients in hot dogs that can't be found in steaks or protein drinks.

MOTHER DUCKER
10-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Mickey try eating 6 times a day rather then 3 if you can it really helps

Patty Tanager
10-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Mickey try eating 6 times a day rather then 3 if you can it really helps

Think that would be very hard to do :D.

At the minute i am eating 3 massive meals a day (and i mean massive, the food lasts me hours before i feel hungry again). One at around noon, one at around 5 and another around 10.

kamicazze
10-22-2010, 05:39 PM
your just stupid, hot dogs are ****.

Coeco
10-23-2010, 12:03 PM
It depends what KIND of meat and bread you're eating with the hot-dogs. Avoiding "fastfood" ones as a boxer is definitely a wise thing to do. But that doesn't mean you can't make your own hotdogs. Squeeze your own meat along with some veggies, fry with some healthy oil and buy the most natural bun-bread you can find.

This often works best with hamburgers or meatballs though, easier to make the shapes n adding extra ingredients on-top.

James78
10-25-2010, 04:18 PM
I saw a tin of franfurters once and the main ingredient was "machine recovered pork and chicken" that should be enough to make you at least think twice, fcuk knows what **** they put in them man!