View Full Version : Is it unhygenic to use gym gloves that others have used?

hugh grant
10-12-2010, 08:56 AM
When i went to the boxing gym i used the equipment they supplied. I put on a pair of their hand wraps which was ok. They were a bit worn but that was ok.
But when i went to use their Leather punch mitts, they were saturated wet and all the leather mitts all about 20 pairs were soaked and smelt of old socks.

Do people take their own stuff to the gym or use whats supplied by the gym?

RAV3N
10-12-2010, 10:03 AM
When i went to the boxing gym i used the equipment they supplied. I put on a pair of their hand wraps which was ok. They were a bit worn but that was ok.
But when i went to use their Leather punch mitts, they were saturated wet and all the leather mitts all about 20 pairs were soaked and smelt of old socks.

You should buy your own gear.

It isnt unhygenic to use the gym gear unless you lick your fingers after.

La Zorrita
10-12-2010, 10:13 AM
yes it is, i have my own gloves and wraps sometimes i avoid using headgear when some sweaty stinkin fuk just used it. lol

hugh grant
10-12-2010, 11:05 AM
I was just thinking that because i paid entrance fee i should get something in return from them, and to be able to use their equipment would be a bonus. But there mitts need to be updated as they look very old and worn. I will take my own stuff from now onwards, i just hope the gym owner dont think i nicked his gear when i put my own mitts and wraps in my bag.

Jack3d
10-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Absolutely not. I mean there is nothing unhygenic about using someone elses sweaty ass gloves. /sarcasm

Chip2006uk
10-12-2010, 06:44 PM
This is the reason I hate doing padwork at the gym

Sugarj
10-12-2010, 08:12 PM
It is clearly unhygienic, other guys blood from grazed nuckles with loose skin, perhaps months of bacteria ridden sweat and unwashed masturbation leftovers mingling around what might be your hands with their own grazed nuckles! Sorry to be so graphic!!!

My hands often pick up grazes from bag work which seep a little. If you pick up the wrong set of gloves from the wrong guy at the wrong time you could pick up something serious. Hepatitis, HIV, infections, blood poisoning?

Granted, it realistically is unlikely, but at the very least its not a nice thought......plus your hands can stink for hours, and even days afterwards sometimes.

Get your own stuff and dont share it, boxing gloves, bag mitts etc aren't expensive. You wont regret it.

Chex31
10-12-2010, 08:27 PM

Big no for me, I bring my own wraps, gloves, headgear, and shoes. Almost everything except punch mitts. Though for the first 2 months I had to use their gloves which sucked, and the punch mitts always smell, not as bad now thanks to lysol.

Get your own gear unless you dont mind your hands smelling stink

hugh grant
10-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Big no for me, I bring my own wraps, gloves, headgear, and shoes. Almost everything except punch mitts. Though for the first 2 months I had to use their gloves which sucked, and the punch mitts always smell, not as bad now thanks to lysol.

Get your own gear unless you dont mind your hands smelling stink

Did you use to use their punch mitts then?

Chex31
10-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Did you use to use their punch mitts then?
Yup, still do

Scouse
10-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Yeh there is only a few lads who use the clubs gear, maybe cos they have not got the cash to buy they own but that aint they fault but if you can get your own that's always the best way to go. I have used the clubs before and so has my son and your hands smell of some other ****'s sweat so yeh the very next week I went to sports direct and got some really nice Lonsdale bag mits, mine are toughened leather and I got them for 11 quid but on the back of pack it said 39.99 so got a good deal too! I have since bought more gloves for me and my son and also leather skipping ropes, wraps, ankle supports etc etc.

Bullrush
10-13-2010, 06:35 AM
its unhygenic but if thats your worry then you shouldnt be boxing or any contact sport for that matter. thats part of the game.

i use my own stuff because i wanna take care of my own stuff and clean it and make sure the equipment holds up a long time (especially if you spend 200 bucks on a pair of gloves). and so far that has worked, my gloves look brand new, they smell fresh etc.

usually the beginners and the guys that arent serious about boxing use the equipment thats available at the gym. and the guys that cant really afford their own equipment of course. nothing wrong with that

blaze778
10-13-2010, 06:49 AM

Put it this way, if a person went jogging right before you, would you use the same shirt he just did?

Or better yet, would you share jock straps with someone else?

Spartacus Sully
10-13-2010, 06:58 AM
I went to an mma gym for my first gym and they kept their gloves in a big plastic bin in some little cubbard.

****ing idiots.

why would you keep gloves covered with sweat in an air tight plastic container in a warm dark area?

how am i supposed to keep my right up when im on the verge of vomiting every time the glove gets close to my face........

the boxing gym that i go to now keeps all their equipment well organized on a rack in the back of the room the rack gives the gloves plenty of air to dry they still have alittle bad smell but very rarely are they ever dripping with sweat. though i allways use my own stuff unless im sparring and i use the gyms 20 oz gloves head gear and no foul guard.

#1Assassin
10-13-2010, 08:12 AM
wow, u guys seem ****ing spoiled. its kinda gay acctually.

if u wanna box u gotta accept the fact that ppl are gonna be leaning on you wearing sweat soaked shirts, bleed on your shoulder etc. wearing used gloves aint a big deal by comparison. give it a round and the outside of the gloves are dirtier than the inside anyways, both sweat and possibly blood that is getting pushed into your face not your hands. lol at ppl complaining about getting other ppls sweat on their hands, its sweat all over the gym! ppl doing groundwork in the ring etc.

ever heard of the term getting your hands dirty? well boxing is a sport where u cant be afraid to get your hands dirty, or bloody. other ppls blood should be preferable to your own. dont be scared of a little sweat lol.

im not saying its enjoyable, but u gotta leave the primadonna **** at the door. you are there to work, a little soap and a shower after the workout and you will be as good as new.

Fearless
10-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Just stinks like ****, definitely unhygenic. After first time I straight away went and bought a pair of gloves.

T.Horton
10-13-2010, 09:02 AM
does yourself a favour brother, google some images of staph infections. this is a common result of sharing equipment.

josh-hill
10-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Dose the same apply for second band wraps? I machine washed them but still...

Spartacus Sully
10-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Dose the same apply for second band wraps? I machine washed them but still...

it has nothing to do with using some one elses stuff and more so using some one elses stuff that smells like rotting piss.

T.Horton
10-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Dose the same apply for second band wraps? I machine washed them but still...sometimes go a few uses without washing them but as should all of your equipment, it should be kept dry and sprayed with a mold killer (hypo-allergenic).

Journeyman
10-13-2010, 12:59 PM
the only equipment i would probably share is gloves..cause i have my own 16oz training gloves but our trainer makes us spar in 18oz gloves, which the gym has....

BrooklynBomber
10-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Yeah, it is. But if you are a healthy individual, you should be ok with that.

Not in flue season though, I can not stress enough on how many people got sick in my gym from sharing the same locker room, let alone the same equipment.

hugh grant
10-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Yeh there is only a few lads who use the clubs gear, maybe cos they have not got the cash to buy they own but that aint they fault but if you can get your own that's always the best way to go. I have used the clubs before and so has my son and your hands smell of some other ****'s sweat so yeh the very next week I went to sports direct and got some really nice Lonsdale bag mits, mine are toughened leather and I got them for 11 quid but on the back of pack it said 39.99 so got a good deal too! I have since bought more gloves for me and my son and also leather skipping ropes, wraps, ankle supports etc etc.

I think you bought the same heavy bag mitts as me. Mine were 11.99 though reduced from 39.99. I bought size small.

hugh grant
10-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Ive bought my own stuff now, so i will use my own stuff. The gym bag mitts were just soaked with sweat and uncomfortable to wear when they are that wet and stink to high heaven.

10-14-2010, 05:13 AM
Boxing gloves will increase the strength or will it weaken the power?

Soju
10-14-2010, 01:42 PM
vut? vut you call my dog? Boxing gloves will protect your hands and your friend's face / skeleton and that's about it.

SBleeder
10-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Yes, it's probably unhygenic. It's boxing, not ballet. If you can get punched in the face you can wear sweaty gloves.

I've used the gym gear for years and years. There's something copacetic about wearing the same sweaty gear that pros have worn.

James78
10-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Hell yeah I wouldn't wear someone elses sweaty ass gloves man, my own smell bad enough as it is

Pony Boy
10-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Most people take a piss, take a dump, pick their nose and other stuff and don't even wash their hands. Then they sweat like pigs while wearing gym gear and leave it for others to use. I know a couple of guys who got fungus on the palms and fingers from wearing gym gloves. That's why I use my own gear. Why take a chance.

killacash
10-25-2010, 08:59 PM
2 words STAPH INFECTION. Even the pros get infected from using dirty equipment. Kelly Pavlik and Wilfredo Vazquez Jr hand's come into mind. There was a deadly version of staph infection called MSRA running wild a couple years ago. Now do you really want that?

http://www.sraboxing.com/Fotos/VazquezWilfredoJrSr410NF1_2.jpg
http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/news/archives/VazquezJrDaliaDurane3.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2rog4so.png