View Full Version : help with punches

josh-hill
10-03-2010, 06:50 PM
hi guys. i was wondering about some technical points of punches. when you throw a jab for example do you pivot on your front leg? if so do you plant your back heel on the floor when you twist? doing that feels more natural and stable but i was told to keep my back foot on the ball of the foot all of the time.

also what do i need for training? is it worth investing in boxing shoes? what are the cheapest decent ones i can get? thanks

11wordisbond
10-03-2010, 07:53 PM
As a beginner you can pivot at left foot (assuming you are orthodox) when you jab. The back foot should be flat so you can push off of it (weight shifts forward). When you throw the right cross, you pivot the right foot before you move your waist, torso, shoulder, arm, then fist. As a rule of thumb, pivot the foot of the hand you are throwing.

You do not aways have to be on the balls of your feet, only when moving around.

Spartacus Sully
10-04-2010, 12:51 AM
hi guys. i was wondering about some technical points of punches. when you throw a jab for example do you pivot on your front leg? if so do you plant your back heel on the floor when you twist? doing that feels more natural and stable but i was told to keep my back foot on the ball of the foot all of the time.

also what do i need for training? is it worth investing in boxing shoes? what are the cheapest decent ones i can get? thanks

I step with the jab and put my hip into it.

I dont pivot on my left when i jab.

do you put your right shoulder into the jab too? cause thats wrong as well.

zhanlin9391
10-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Thanks for letting me read this great post, keep it up.

Dan-O-Mac
10-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Never heard of anyone pivoting off the front foot for a jab.

Training equipment would depend on what your doing.

Jump Rope, Hand wraps, 12oz. Gloves for pad and bag work. 16oz. Gloves, Headgear, a foul protector, and a Mouthpiece for sparring.

As far as shoes, again depends on what your doing. If you plan on sparring, I say yes. Would I invest in a pair of shoes to hit the bag and mitts, probably not.

Ringside has a pair of Adidas VaporSpeed for $35.00, you can search for a coupon code for free shipping too.

http://www.ringside.com/Adidas-Vaporspeed-Shoe/productinfo/AWS13/86

SBleeder
10-05-2010, 06:42 PM
I honestly don't pivot at all when throwing a jab. Usually I just have probably about 1/8 rotation in my shoulders, sometimes I'll use a little more shoulder whirl just to get a little more pop in my jab, but it's essentially an arm punch for me. I don't limit myself to being set when I punch... I compromise power for the ability to land more punches, which is the name of the game in amateur boxing.

I just wear higher-topped cross trainers whttp://www.boxingscene.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=9361957hen I train. I have tall boxing shoes for competition, but on the hard floor of the gym they provide very little comfort, especially since I "bounce" a lot.

The only training equipment I own is a mouthpiece and handwraps (I prefer these: http://store.titleboxing.com/title-patinum-hybrid-gel-wraps.html). Everything else I just use the gym's equipment. There's something copacetic about wearing the gloves and headgear that dozens of fighters before me have worn and sweated/bled in. If you're germ-phobic, though, buy headgear, bag gloves, and sparring gloves.

Holtol
10-05-2010, 07:05 PM
I don't pivot the front foot.

I like to have my fist lined up with their face number one. So they can't get good perception of the jab coming at them. I jab with my elbow directly behind the twisting fist. All they should see is the fist coming straight at them. The power mainly for me comes from a hard fast turn of the hip I don't let the foot turn at all.