View Full Version : How many other amateurs here don't lift weights?

SBleeder
10-03-2010, 02:57 PM
It seems like everyone here is training with weights nowadays. Personally, I have never experimented with weights; very few guys in my gym use them (there are no weights in my gym so the guys that use them use them at home or in weight lifting gyms.) Are there any other guys like me who compete and never mess around with weights?

bernardotelo
10-03-2010, 03:01 PM
It seems like everyone here is training with weights nowadays. Personally, I have never experimented with weights; very few guys in my gym use them (there are no weights in my gym so the guys that use them use them at home or in weight lifting gyms.) Are there any other guys like me who compete and never mess around with weights?

i have some 20pound dumbells in my house and sometimes i lift them i don't see whats seems to be the problem

Domey
10-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Never lifted weights in my life. Here's a shot of me when I was about 13 years old and at 112.

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/8448/57938166.jpg

questionare
10-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Never lifted weights in my life. Here's a shot of me when I was about 13 years old and at 112.

You looked great and ripped in that picture... was this only from boxing workouts (pads, punching bag, shadow boxing, doube-end bag) ??

ScottDBA
10-03-2010, 04:34 PM
I've gained around 10lbs of muscle in the almost 2.5 years I've been boxing and I've never lifted weights.

Domey
10-03-2010, 04:40 PM
You looked great and ripped in that picture... was this only from boxing workouts (pads, punching bag, shadow boxing, doube-end bag) ??

Yes, nothing other then a good solid boxing work out. I do a lot of neck exercises as well. I have been fighting since I was around 7-8 years old.

I haven't been training in a year due to a hand injury(Thanks Ross Enamait, John Scully, Mickey Ward, and Dr. Steven Margles for all your help) so I have gained some weight, but that will fall off within weeks of training. I fight at 126 now days but I am currently 139.

Barn
10-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Never lifted weights, unless you count lightweights while shadow-boxing to increase endurance and speed.

josh-hill
10-03-2010, 07:23 PM
id say the vast majority dont.

sammiza567
10-03-2010, 07:36 PM
many many athletes over history have been great despite their training rather than b/c of it. you dont need any one training method to be successful, but that in no way means it scientifically wont make you faster and stronger. lets say fighter A only does body weight workouts along with boxing/running, and fighter B does weights along with everything else. now fighter A may very well go onto become a far better fighter than B. does this mean he wouldnt have benefitted from weights? no it just means he possibly could have been even better.

Spartacus Sully
10-04-2010, 01:57 AM
many many athletes over history have been great despite their training rather than b/c of it. you dont need any one training method to be successful, but that in no way means it scientifically wont make you faster and stronger. lets say fighter A only does body weight workouts along with boxing/running, and fighter B does weights along with everything else. now fighter A may very well go onto become a far better fighter than B. does this mean he wouldnt have benefitted from weights? no it just means he possibly could have been even better.

while it means he could have possiably been better it also means that weights are possibly worthless.

just about as worthless as your argument of weights appear to be bad but that just might mean they could possibly make you better.

say fighter a does 5 hours of training and fighter b does 5 hours of training. say fighter a does running body weight work outs and boxing say fighter b does all that and an hour of weights.

fighter b is missing out on 1 hour a day 5 hours a week and about 50 hours of boxing specific training every 2 months of pre bout training period.

sooo yeah to replace 50 hours of boxing with 50 hours in the gym lifting heavy weights training your body to do non boxing related compound movements while you exercise and build mass on a plethora of non boxing related muscles scientifically wont make you faster stronger or hit harder in the sport of boxing.

sammiza567
10-04-2010, 02:45 PM
while it means he could have possiably been better it also means that weights are possibly worthless.

just about as worthless as your argument of weights appear to be bad but that just might mean they could possibly make you better.

say fighter a does 5 hours of training and fighter b does 5 hours of training. say fighter a does running body weight work outs and boxing say fighter b does all that and an hour of weights.

fighter b is missing out on 1 hour a day 5 hours a week and about 50 hours of boxing specific training every 2 months of pre bout training period.

sooo yeah to replace 50 hours of boxing with 50 hours in the gym lifting heavy weights training your body to do non boxing related compound movements while you exercise and build mass on a plethora of non boxing related muscles scientifically wont make you faster stronger or hit harder in the sport of boxing.

very good point skills should always be the focus and nothing can replace them. just saying alot of old school trainers still believe you cant do any weights without losing speed and its just not true.

Jack3d
10-04-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm not a fighter so I don't know how much merit my word has, but lifting has it's place in pretty much any sport.

If Tennis players can find a use for weights, fighters definitely can.

Some boxers do tend to shy away from weights because they fear it will make them slow and stiff. But more often than not people that say this just don't know to lift correctly for their specific sport or they generalize "weight training" with bodybuilding.

I've heard boxers say weights are bad and ask them what they've done and it usually consists of useless isometric exercises for dozens of reps and they wonder why they've become slow, stiff and have lost flexibility.

JackD
10-07-2010, 07:15 AM

I did when i was growing up and i've always been really strong for my size. in high school i was 170 and was maxxing out on benchpress at 300.

but i only do it now to see how strong i am. the last time i did 250 10x and i am like 165 now. but i will go months without lifting weights. i only started not lifting them when i got interested in boxing and fighting again. just because alot of muscle makes you tire faster. plus heavyweights in the old days didnt and they would kill most of the new guys today. they did do manual labor but i dont think that is the same. i think throwing around 40lb hay bales all day would be good for your muscles and endurance unlike lifting weights. now i only do pull ups push ups, dips, neck excersizes bag work and run sometimes.

JackD
10-07-2010, 07:26 AM
I'm not a fighter so I don't know how much merit my word has, but lifting has it's place in pretty much any sport.

If Tennis players can find a use for weights, fighters definitely can.

Some boxers do tend to shy away from weights because they fear it will make them slow and stiff. But more often than not people that say this just don't know to lift correctly for their specific sport or they generalize "weight training" with bodybuilding.

I've heard boxers say weights are bad and ask them what they've done and it usually consists of useless isometric exercises for dozens of reps and they wonder why they've become slow, stiff and have lost flexibility.

lifting light weight alot would be the only thing a boxer should do if he lifted weights at all. and it is not just flexibility. muscles need oxygen to work. so a 240lb guy who is all muscle will tire faster than one who is 180. and the guy who is 180 can hit just as hard if he knows what he is doing.

do military presses holding your breath and i bet you wake up on the floor. or grab some 30-40 dumbells and throw punches with them and hold your breath doing that and you will pass out too. the bigger you are the worse your stamina is going to be. and if you fight a smaller guy who knows how to use his weight (most people dont these days) but if you do then all the muscle is just a disadvantage. in MMA it is different. because you dont need stamina to wrestle. so its not suprising that someone like brock lesnar could dominate it. but if you get in alot of street fights you will know that big guys like that will never stand and trade with a small guy who can take their punches. they always grab him.

also this is why heavyweight boxing is so much more boring than the old days. few of them have stamina and want to hug instead of fight. they are too big.

Jack3d
10-07-2010, 02:17 PM
lifting light weight alot would be the only thing a boxer should do if he lifted weights at all. and it is not just flexibility. muscles need oxygen to work. so a 240lb guy who is all muscle will tire faster than one who is 180. and the guy who is 180 can hit just as hard if he knows what he is doing.

do military presses holding your breath and i bet you wake up on the floor. or grab some 30-40 dumbells and throw punches with them and hold your breath doing that and you will pass out too. the bigger you are the worse your stamina is going to be. and if you fight a smaller guy who knows how to use his weight (most people dont these days) but if you do then all the muscle is just a disadvantage. in MMA it is different. because you dont need stamina to wrestle. so its not suprising that someone like brock lesnar could dominate it. but if you get in alot of street fights you will know that big guys like that will never stand and trade with a small guy who can take their punches. they always grab him.

also this is why heavyweight boxing is so much more boring than the old days. few of them have stamina and want to hug instead of fight. they are too big.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/brice42/Blank-Facepalm.gif

Darkstranger
10-08-2010, 07:24 AM

x2

The Boxing community proves time and time again to be the most ignorant sport when it comes to lifting weights.

#1Assassin
10-08-2010, 09:20 AM
i dont lift weights, i have experimented with it in the past but quickly found out it isnt what works best for me. i gave it more than one try using different routines but i just feel much better when i stick to bodyweight exercises. much better stamina, much faster, much more agile, much more explosive, more coordinated etc. and i feel just as strong too.

im not saying lifting weights is always bad for boxing, but for me it is. people are diffrent and should train diffrent depending on their styles in the ring, natural build, eating habits etc.

SBleeder
10-08-2010, 11:02 AM
i dont lift weights, i have experimented with it in the past but quickly found out it isnt what works best for me. i gave it more than one try using different routines but i just feel much better when i stick to bodyweight exercises. much better stamina, much faster, much more agile, much more explosive, more coordinated etc. and i feel just as strong too.

im not saying lifting weights is always bad for boxing, but for me it is. people are diffrent and should train diffrent depending on their styles in the ring, natural build, eating habits etc.

Agreed. I know that many fighters can benefit from lifting, but for me it's pointless and would take time away from training.

Punching power is almost completely unimportant in my style; I train to out-land my opponent and fight for the decision.

JackD
10-08-2010, 11:07 AM
x2

The Boxing community proves time and time again to be the most ignorant sport when it comes to lifting weights.

why is that? do you think that heavyweights today could could fight 30 rounds. and you could say "they dont have to because they are stronger" but jack dempsey had more first round ko's than tyson im pretty sure. im sure that hurts if you spend alot of time in the gym trying to be big and pretty. ali didnt lift weights either and that was a time when most other boxers did. maybe some of you should give him some tips on boxing like how he shoule have lifted more weights because im sure most of you guys could have done much better than he did.

there are some decent fights every once in a while and i still prefer watching heavyweights but if you say it's not boring compared to old fights you are lying. but it's just like everything else. chad whatever his name is gets paid millions to catch a football and run out of bounds like a ***** so he doesnt get hit and he is very famous because he talks alot. my great grandfather played with a leather helmet and had to run from a bull to get home after practice. people just used to live harder. they were tougher. and with boxing being thin is an advantage. more muscle makes you get tired quicker and more mass doesn't necessarily mean more power.

Darkstranger
10-08-2010, 12:13 PM

why is that? do you think that heavyweights today could could fight 30 rounds. and you could say "they dont have to because they are stronger" but jack dempsey had more first round ko's than tyson im pretty sure. im sure that hurts if you spend alot of time in the gym trying to be big and pretty. ali didnt lift weights either and that was a time when most other boxers did. maybe some of you should give him some tips on boxing like how he shoule have lifted more weights because im sure most of you guys could have done much better than he did.

there are some decent fights every once in a while and i still prefer watching heavyweights but if you say it's not boring compared to old fights you are lying. but it's just like everything else. chad whatever his name is gets paid millions to catch a football and run out of bounds like a ***** so he doesnt get hit and he is very famous because he talks alot. my great grandfather played with a leather helmet and had to run from a bull to get home after practice. people just used to live harder. they were tougher. and with boxing being thin is an advantage. more muscle makes you get tired quicker and more mass doesn't necessarily mean more power.

No one's talking about building muscle or lifting weights "to look big and pretty", we're talking building strength. Low rep, heavy weights to stress the CNS. Squats, Deadlifts, Rows, Bench, Overhead Press and Chins.

Problem with so many people on this training forum is that they think weights = bodybuilding routine.

Do some research on the advantages of squatting and deadlifting in sports performance. Also the cross over from Olympic Weightlifting into sports performance is unrivalled!

#1Assassin
10-09-2010, 06:43 AM
Agreed. I know that many fighters can benefit from lifting, but for me it's pointless and would take time away from training.

Punching power is almost completely unimportant in my style; I train to out-land my opponent and fight for the decision.

i acctually lost punching power when i was lifting weights, got maybe a little bit more weight behind my punches but alot less snap. no 1 punch KO power like i had before and like im starting to get back again after getting back to a proper routine without weights.

One more round
10-09-2010, 08:38 AM

That might work sometimes, but the better your opponents get, you are going to need to have some authority in your punches, otherwise you won't get their respect. Sure you might be a good boxer, but if a guy with equal or near your skill level comes up against you, and you can't decisively outbox him, he will trample you if you have no power.

I'm not saying you have to lift, just pointing out you need some power.

Also if you watch high level am boxing with the computer scoring, you see that the only punches really getting scored are flush shots with weight behind them.

NChristo
10-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Used to lift weights in High School but it was never anything major, packed it in when I started boxing.

Toy Story 3
10-09-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't lift weights now but I have. I've gone a fitness gym for about 3 years. It's pretty tight. Good to get your muscles and your body strong. Nice atmosphere too. The only reason why I don't now is because I can't afford both boxing and fitness gym. Some people says lifting weights make them slower, ect but it didn't effect me at all. If anything I felt stronger and faster. But I did the correct weight lifting.

When you're going to the boxing gym you're training to become more athletic and a fighter. Weights and fighting don't really have too much to do with each other except for the fact you can increase strength lifting weights. You see big buff guys all the time, but that doesn't mean they can box or be a good fighter. If you want to get a little bigger or get stronger hit some weights. Correct form and work out plan is key though. Don't just lift not knowing what you're doing. If you want to learn how to be a good fighter, that's where the training in the boxing gym comes into play.