View Full Version : I hired a personal trainer so....

TheRealAshland
10-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Yeah, I am really wanting to start amateur fighting the top of 2011. They trainer I hired, is a former pro football player, but has little boxing knowledge. So what should I tell him I want to focus on?

Mainly for me I want to be in a lighter weight class, and improve my endurance. I am also taking boxing classes at the MMA school I attend, by a former pro :boxing: boxer.

Thanks in advance, BTW, I am female 24 live in Atlanta.

Joachim
10-03-2010, 12:26 AM
If he has little boxing knowledge, stay away and be cautious, If hes a pro football player, I'm sure he can help you get really conditioned and in fighting shape, but as for in terms of being a competent fighter, you need to learn skills from somebody who knows them.

But if you're getting trained by a former pro, you should be good.

Nothing to focus on, you need EVERYTHING trained for fighting, It's daunting.

Theres so much to discuss I don't even know where to begin.

TheRealAshland
10-03-2010, 12:51 AM
I haven't had much time to talk with the boxing teacher at my school, But what i am thinking is, conditioning, strength training, and endurance building. Another trainer in his company has trained boxers, So I am guessing it should be hard for him to talk to him and get work outs for it. I am getting these training lessons at darn steal. So I need to jump on this.

But the main I want him to do his help me get in a lighter class, if I am training with him 3x a week doing mma 3-4x a week and doing cardio 2x daily is this to much? When I met Paul Williams he was running every night for a couple hours, like i literally met him while he was running.

Joachim
10-03-2010, 01:23 AM
yes, the easiest way to lower your weight is changing your diet and Doing a ton of cardio, run run run. Yes, Paul williams redicilous. Hes a massive man, who can fight at a redicilous weight class. Love him.

No its not too much, People ask if thier routine is too much constantly. Do it hard as you can. As you get into better shape, your body will be able to keep up with a bigger work load and youll be able to train more often.

Clegg
10-03-2010, 02:10 AM
Paul Williams is a freak of nature, he can likely do things that would leave you or I burnt out quickly.

I used to go jogging and I used to lift weights. At the moment I do BJJ, and I've felt faster strength and stamina improvements from doing BJJ than I did from working out and doing cardio. So my advice would be to just focus on your boxing and MMA. You'll get pushed hard, but you body will adapt quicker than you expect.

I know you're female so your body and aims are going to be a bit different, but I think the principle is likely the same.

How many times per week do you usually train? If you're already very active then adding an extra session will probably be fine. But if you're just getting into this then jumping straight in with 3 MMA, 3 personal training and 14 cardio sessions will be too much for your body to take. In fact I'd imagine that doing cardio 2x per day would be a bit much for anyone unless it's low intensity like walking.

If someone already pretty active and in training is looking to lose weight I think that modifying their diet will probably do more good than adding extra training.

Spartacus Sully
10-03-2010, 05:28 AM
those agility ladder things seem pretty cool and i think football players use them alot. id imagine your trainer might know a few things on that to help with agility.

Del Coqui
10-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I am really wanting to start amateur fighting the top of 2011. They trainer I hired, is a former pro football player, but has little boxing knowledge. So what should I tell him I want to focus on?

Mainly for me I want to be in a lighter weight class, and improve my endurance. I am also taking boxing classes at the MMA school I attend, by a former pro :boxing: boxer.

24 is a bit late to start boxing sweet heart, I mean if you want to compete and accomplish something sport wise. I dig the trainer thing and those classes to stay fit. Good luck. Friendly advise, spar as much as you can.

TheRealAshland
10-04-2010, 09:38 PM
24 is to late,... http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165702

11wordisbond
10-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Don't let anybody tell you 24 is too late ma. Stick to your vision and you'll get there.

La Zorrita
10-05-2010, 12:45 AM

first of all... we nid to see ur tits... or gtfo.

TheRealAshland
10-05-2010, 12:55 AM
Don't let anybody tell you 24 is too late ma. Stick to your vision and you'll get there.

Thanks so much!

first of all... we nid to see ur tits... or gtfo.

wtf is nid? http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nid ...idiot,.. Sorry but people like you , with your sexist attitude make it hard for women to be taken seriously in sports... go to H.E.L.L.......

BG_Knocc_Out
10-05-2010, 01:31 AM
I'm telling you out of experience. Do NOT train out of an MMA gym if you are only looking to box. Save the embarrassment. Here, in Minnesota, MMA is a huge sport and there are many quality gyms. Many of them offer their version of "boxing", but in reality, 90% of the time it isn't effective in the amateurs. I trained out of three MMA gyms for boxing because they were the closest gyms I could find. Ended up being the biggest waste of time. And all three of them had ex-pro boxers as trainers. Don't let personal credentials blind you from pure training. Having a few names on your resume doesn't often translate into being a good trainer. One of the trainers I had had fought Micky Ward and Tony Martin back in the day. Worst trainer I've had. Another one had a pretty good amateur record of 70 some wins and 15 losses. He was equally as bad.

Sorry I'm probably taking this way too serious, plus it's not even the topic, but what I experienced though MMA gyms and boxing is something nobody should waste their time with if you're first starting off. They're training regimens are much different. But if you're trying to box and not do MMA, go to a pure boxing gym. Often times they are much cheaper and offer better training. There are also some pretty fvcking great gyms in the Atlanta area anyway.

Spartacus Sully
10-05-2010, 02:13 AM
i went to an mma gym for boxing. the gym was 75$ a month for a 1 hour boxing class 3 times a week or 100$ and i could go to any class i wanted to as they were a mma gym and did alot more then boxing.

well i didnt want to do mma so i only did the boxing class. as it turns out the boxing class wasnt even a boxing class it was more so a warm up class for the mma students that paid to take any class.

the 1 hour class that i paid to go to and learn boxing consisted of 20 mins of jumping rope a round shadow boxing then 30 mins of jump squats push ups and sit ups then 2 rounds on the bag.

most the time the coach didnt even show up till half the class was over.

this was the single most irrating annoying money wasteing stress induceing activity i have ever taken part in.

in july i joined an actual boxing gym 30$ a month a million times better then the mma gym. theres a few fat out of shape guys they started me off with sparring and their better then the best (soley in boxing) at the mma gym.

I would never reccomend an mma gym to any one that wants to get good at boxing.

TheRealAshland
10-05-2010, 02:23 AM
@Ruby and @BG, I fully hear what you guys are saying. I was at Praxis MMA in Griffin,the longer I was there, the more I realized that these guys didn't know what they were doing. They had students teaching classes after a few months of being there. And by no means were they experts. Now they have a karate teacher who bought them out, teaching it and he had no prior MMA/Boxing/BJJ training.

I am somewhere else now, they seem a lot better. They have a seperate Muay Thai teacher, Boxing teacher, Bjj teacher, like the Bjj teacher will never teach a boxing class or vise versa. My thing is I live all the way in griffin, I am looking at an hour trip one way to go to a decent boxing school. I am going to try this new place for a few months, and if need be I am going to be taking the the trip.

La Zorrita
10-05-2010, 02:27 AM
wtf is nid? http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nid ...idiot,.. Sorry but people like you , with your sexist attitude make it hard for women to be taken seriously in sports... go to H.E.L.L.......

ok, im sorry my luv.. :o

Spartacus Sully
10-05-2010, 02:36 AM
@Ruby and @BG, I fully hear what you guys are saying. I was at Praxis MMA in Griffin,the longer I was there, the more I realized that these guys didn't know what they were doing. They had students teaching classes after a few months of being there. And by no means were they experts. Now they have a karate teacher who bought them out, teaching it and he had no prior MMA/Boxing/BJJ training.

I am somewhere else now, they seem a lot better. They have a seperate Muay Thai teacher, Boxing teacher, Bjj teacher, like the Bjj teacher will never teach a boxing class or vise versa. My thing is I live all the way in griffin, I am looking at an hour trip one way to go to a decent boxing school. I am going to try this new place for a few months, and if need be I am going to be taking the the trip.

sucks.

I work night shifts so i have to find a gym thats close and open during hours that are sutiable for me.

The only gym i could go to was an mma gym so i joined, it was a contract gym so after joined i was stuck there for a year. after about 3 months i stoped going and just delt with having to pay 75$ a month reguardless.

i currently have changed around my entire sleep schedule and now drive an hour both ways so that i can go to an actual boxing gym.

just be sure to check out the mma gym and make sure its a decent gym before you sign your life away.

One more round
10-05-2010, 06:07 AM
tits or GTFO

Spartacus Sully
10-05-2010, 06:15 AM
BTW, I am female 24 live in Atlanta.

but really whats the point of this? were you expecting diffrent exercises because you were female? or you need to train diffrent things?

but really if you tits are too big then you might have problems and its probly best just to post em so we can let you know if they're to big.

but really for real this time any person that belongs to this site and just happens to mention they are female for no point what so ever probly isnt female.

One more round
10-05-2010, 07:34 AM
tits or GTFO

Tits or GTFO

Del Coqui
10-05-2010, 09:15 AM
24 is to late,... http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165702

A lot of real world, not internet experts agree it takes 5 yrs to develop a fighter, I'm just keeping it real. However, that doesn't mean you are an average athlete, you could be better for all I know. Good luck. Nice to know you believe in yourself, I hope you don't change your mind once you start competeing. Keep us updated with your progress.

Spartacus Sully
10-05-2010, 09:24 AM
A lot of real not internet experts agree it takes 5 yrs to develop a fighter, I'm just keeping it real. However, that doesn't mean you are an average athlete, you could be better for all I know. Good luck. Nice to know you believe in yourself, I hope you don't change your mind once you start competeing.

5 years sounds about right.

just work 5 times harder then average and you can get it done in a year.

though it might take the 5 to develop a chin.

Clegg
10-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Another thing is that women's boxing is not that good. No disrespect to them but the fact is that the skill level and technique in women's boxing is a lot lower, so I think it'd be easier for a female to do well after a late start. There's less competition as well due to their being less active female fighters.

TheRealAshland
10-05-2010, 10:18 AM
1st of all the the women boxing community isn't as big as male boxing, like basketball. There are a lot of crappy male boxers who don't know crap. So to say that woman's skill level is lower is b/s. You find a lot of athletes regardless of sex who suck that are over hyped.

Clegg
10-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Well I stated in my post that there aren't as many active female boxers as there are male, but thanks for repeating me anyway :rolleyes:

Yeah, there are lots of crap male boxers, but that doesn't change the fact that the best female boxers are less skillful, less talented and less technical than the best male boxers.

Hey, I was the one who came into the thread and gave you constructive advice. My post about the level of female boxing was in response to the suggestion that you wouldn't succeed because of your age ie. it was intended as a reason why you could still do well.

La Zorrita
10-05-2010, 10:50 AM
tits or GTFO

http://www.icanhasmotivation.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/titsgtfo.jpg

La Zorrita
10-05-2010, 10:51 AM
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/054/631/original/1243588974304.jpg?1276484684

La Zorrita
10-05-2010, 10:51 AM
http://freon.shackspace.com/misc/tits_or_gtfo.jpg

TheRealAshland
10-05-2010, 11:44 AM
I think people forget about Anne Wolfe, who is now training both male and female boxers.
and mares sfu

TheRealAshland
10-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Oh, if you don't have anything constructive to say that is going to benifit me,stfu!

And if you want to see tits, as your mother.....

SBleeder
10-05-2010, 07:25 PM
A lot of real world, not internet experts agree it takes 5 yrs to develop a fighter, I'm just keeping it real. However, that doesn't mean you are an average athlete, you could be better for all I know. Good luck. Nice to know you believe in yourself, I hope you don't change your mind once you start competeing. Keep us updated with your progress.

Five years is longer than it usually takes to develop someone into a competitive amateur... but to develop someone into a champion pro it would almost always take much longer than that.

I would echo everyone's advice to stay away from mma gyms and try and find a good boxing gym; there have to be a few in Atlanta. I've seen some mma guys try to box and wow, not pretty. There are ten year olds in my gym who have better boxing technique than mma guys.

One more round
10-06-2010, 02:00 AM
1st of all the the women boxing community isn't as big as male boxing, like basketball. There are a lot of crappy male boxers who don't know crap. So to say that woman's skill level is lower is b/s. You find a lot of athletes regardless of sex who suck that are over hyped.

Sorry but Clegg is correct. Overall the women fighters have lower skill levels. I've watched countless women fights at tournaments, both club, state, national and international. I'm not just talking ****.

That's always going to be the case though, even if women's boxing developed a deeper talent pool, because mens bodies are more equipped and better designed for fighting. Sorry if that sounds sexist, I respect female fighters, but it is the truth.

One more round
10-06-2010, 02:01 AM
Also, Tits or GTFO seriously. Or at least a shot of you in your workout gear.

TheRealAshland
10-06-2010, 01:45 PM
^^ what about a shot of you in your moms high heels and push up bra?

La Zorrita
10-07-2010, 01:01 PM
^^ what about a shot of you in your moms high heels and push up bra?

you still don't understand the rules here do u? it says rule number 1. "TITS OR GTFO"

TheRealAshland
10-07-2010, 03:36 PM
^^^ Your an idiot,.. You will probably die a virigin....

La Zorrita
10-07-2010, 09:53 PM
not until i raep u.