View Full Version : How do you Hook?

Vitez
09-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Do you place your fist so that your palm is facing to the floor or so that it's facing you?

What I have in mind is actually a left hook from normal boxing stance...

infamous larryx
09-28-2010, 05:35 PM
facing me....

gatagata
09-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Facing me. I would like to throw it so that it faces down but I just can't throw it like that.

SBleeder
09-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Facing me.

But I only throw probably one hook every five rounds of sparring I do, so I'm not exactly an expert.

Joachim
09-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Facing yourself, you get much more power out of it that way.

Gavin1
09-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Facing you. Slightly lower your Forearm so your arms forms a 90 degree angle and lift your Elbow upwards and backwards at the same time. Your wrist is slightly turned so you land with the knuckle part, if its straight you'll end up slapping with it and might even break your fingers.

hugh grant
09-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Facing me as it seems more natural. In books they seem to do it facing the floor for some reason without saying why?

Ivansmamma
09-28-2010, 07:37 PM
I usually throw it with the palm facing me. I have tried for a long time with the palm facing the floor but it just dosen't feel right and it aint as accurate, often it lands with the wrong part of the knuckle when i try doing it with palm down.

Squirtz
09-28-2010, 07:54 PM
http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt202/kimsstitchintime/captain%20hook/captainhook5.gif

Spartacus Sully
09-28-2010, 10:55 PM
if its tight like really tight like an inch from my face it will be facing the floor.

if its anything other then really tight its facing me.

and if its john L sullivans scientific round punch its actually facing away from me.

-Hyperion-
09-28-2010, 11:42 PM
floor is more natural to me...probably because when i shadowbox i always turn my punches a lot............it's usually a pretty short hook though....ive heard long hook=facing you short hook=facing floor..........

Neutral Corner
09-29-2010, 02:59 AM
I have always been taught to have the palms facing the floor for hooks unless they're shovel hooks.

One more round
09-29-2010, 06:16 AM
Both, just depends on the distance and stuff

mrboxer
09-29-2010, 09:54 AM
my wrists are pointed inward to me at a slight comfortable angle,my feet are positioned at the right trajectory to which the hook will land with the most force and accuracy,good feet positioning is very crucial in hook punches as after a hook is thrown you must be able to slip away in the safest direction:boxing:

Vitez
09-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Ok so i'll borrow you guys for a few more questions:

Do you step in with left hook like with straight punches?

Does stepping in mean you step in with front foot and than back away with it (back leg does not move) or does it mean to move front foot and than back foot follows it?

What am I doing wrong with the left hook if my biceps at the end (near elbow) hurts?

Everyone (including youtube) shows stuff a bit differently so for me it's actually hard to learn boxing...

mrboxer
09-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Ok so i'll borrow you guys for a few more questions:

Do you step in with left hook like with straight punches?

Does stepping in mean you step in with front foot and than back away with it (back leg does not move) or does it mean to move front foot and than back foot follows it?

What am I doing wrong with the left hook if my biceps at the end (near elbow) hurts?

Everyone (including youtube) shows stuff a bit differently so for me it's actually hard to learn boxing...you are probably throwing untimed wild haymakers,try standing in front of a mirror for a couple of weeks and work on your technique,throw combos slowly at first then faster as you gradually get acquainted with throwing punches in a correct manner:boxing:

Joachim
09-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Go to a gym, you have no idea how foot work works, and you're gonna devolop bad habits.

josh-hill
09-29-2010, 02:04 PM
i got told to do it with them facing the floor. worked fine on the pads but not on the heavy bag.

Vitez
09-29-2010, 04:27 PM
I was asking regarding stepping in when you punch. I'm in a gym and I read a few books about boxing so not a total noob really.

I do have a coach but I also use my own head for instance hooking with fist facing me is one of the things I do differently than my coach says...

Joachim
09-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Two most important rules in boxing , One being keep your ****ing hands up. Two being, Listen to what your coach says, always. He's a coach for a reason. And if you legitimately think hes doing something wrong, then get a new coach.

SBleeder
09-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Two most important rules in boxing , One being keep your ****ing hands up. Two being, Listen to what your coach says, always. He's a coach for a reason. And if you legitimately think hes doing something wrong, then get a new coach.

The problem is that there's usually no way to know if your trainer is wrong. I have no idea if my trainer has been giving me wrong information for years, honestly.

boxer13
09-29-2010, 06:21 PM
in regards to the pain at your bicep.

1 possibility) Is your elbow higher then your fist when you are throwing the hook? Cause if it is that might be why your bicep/elbow area is hurting (your shoulder would probably hurt to) big no-no.

2nd possibility) Also if you are throwing the hook with palms facing down maybe your arm is reaching outwards to much and doesn't have that nice kind of L shape because if not, + you are hitting it at a weird angle(kind or reaching out to far with it) its just your forearm going into the bag and the force is absorbed by your elbow area only which is already at an obtuse, weak form (especially true with palms facing down imo)

I read somewhere that in amateur boxing its with the palm facing down and in professional boxing they like to have the palm facing their face. As for me I like palms facing me though because it feels more natural and sturdy on my arm and is easier to make sure my knuckles connect where I want it to.

Learn to throw a proper, compact, short hook before you start reaching out with it and all that junk you see professionals, who know how its done first, do it.

Joachim
09-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Think of it like this, How well do you and the fighters at your gym do? How does your gym rank against other gyms in your area?

Vitez
09-30-2010, 06:19 AM
boxer13 probably reaching too far out. I never raise my elbow high so that the hook is harder to see..

Joachim well I was asking myself that same question and yes they are good and the coach is one of the best around here...but for instance most of them hook palm facing themselves..

Also he tells me stuff if I ask him but he doesn't really correct me much.

Well I'll just train and see what happens. thanks guys!

#1Assassin
09-30-2010, 06:47 AM
it depends.

unless its a really short hook having the palm face you gives more power, but in the ams some refs warn u if u dont turn you fist over so u have to know how to punch like that aswell. also like mentioned a really short hook on the inside is much better to throw palm facing the floor. or if you are fighting a southpaw, arching your elbow a bit and turning the fist over helps u land it at a much better angle. kind of bringing it over his arm and shoulder and throwing it downwards to his chin, hard for a lefty to block and to see coming. kind of like an oposite angle of DLHs hook or the hook RJJ knocked out montell griffin with.

Vitez
04-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Guys checks this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP3Q3E9aGVo

Audley made (from orthodox point of view!) a right hook here and he did it with palm facing the opponent!
Nice L shape, elbow below fist and palm facing out so he hit with index and middle finger.

I'm referring to the knockout at the end. There's a nice slow motion so you can see..

Btw if he was to throw overhand left he'd turn elbow above his fist right?

..El Chacal..
04-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Head shot is palm between down and away from you (sorta in between the two), the power has nothing to do with the arm or hand tho, it's in the shoulder and the torque from the lower body.

Body shot is between, toward you and up, and again the power will come from your stance and the torque in your lower body.

Crushedknee
04-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Its good to practice many kinds of hooks..The palms down hook on the speed bag or mitts..But the target window of that punch is tiny your heads have to be real close..good thing it's got good power in short range..The rest is palm towards me..I like to practice them on the heavy bag..I throw them off a slip /doge motion or as close to my chin as possible..hooks are slow enough with out having a windup or dropping hand motion..Lose power but they hit the target and return to guard alot faster than a wound up hay maker..

cja07007
04-06-2011, 11:59 PM
I think its important to focus mostly on it being a shot tight punch the you are turning on.

Vitez
04-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Not really learning to hook here....just wondering how you guys do it.

WaRCoTTo is the only one who hooks so the palm is little to the outside.

ShinCrossOver
04-08-2011, 06:17 PM
newbie here... been practicing with some co-workers and friends for a couple of months at our work gym (mostly heavy bag and focus mitts). one guy had a few weeks of boxing lessons and another guy did muy thai. anyway, i got my form down pretty well with the hook. it's the hardest punch to learn so i focused on it and i throw it with the palms face down.

well yesterday (my 4th group boxing lesson), the trainer was watching us on the heavy bag throwing combos and he said that we should throw our hooks with our palm facing us. it's easier with more range and you are less likely to mess up your wrist if you throw it and hit something at a wrong angle.

was wondering if that was true or not (the less likely to mess up your wrist bit)?

Mam1
04-10-2011, 05:16 AM
i always struggle to adopt the right technique hook

paulsinghnl
04-10-2011, 08:29 AM
the perfect hook is thrown palm facing down, elbow 90 degrees and at shoulder height (Important!). if you wanna throw a hook lower, you need to bring your body down by bending through your knees for making it an effective hook. if you do it right and you throw it hard, you feel the impact going through your whole body. so the more you swing it in from your hips, lift your heel off the ground, turn your core/abs/back into it, the more power you generate.

so: palm facing down, elbow at shoulder height and 90 degree angle!

the only way i use a hook with the palm facing towards me, if it's a longer or shorter hook, so the opponent is not in range for a 90 degrees hook. but that is not the most effective/powerful hook, that's the one i described in the beginning of this post.

TouchyAndalou
04-11-2011, 06:54 PM
The correct way is for your palm to be facing the sky, as if you've had a stroke.